General Root 10T 5G

Search This thread

MNoisy

The stock A06 kernel from the original post will work to boot the phone running A07, I have used that. Do not flash it though, just do fastboot boot with the image. Either that or you can download the EU full OTA zip and extract the boot image that way, that's how Marco589 made the patched image in the first post.
Will booting with the stock boot image from a06 allow me to apply the latest OTA, though?

That is the issue I am trying to resolve. I am on A07 and rooted. The A08 OTA fails, assuming due to my root.

Since I cannot unroot without a stock A07 image, I don't know if booting with an older image will allow me to apply an OTA, will it?

Thanks for your help

Jager

Feb 21, 2010
Will booting with the stock boot image from a06 allow me to apply the latest OTA, though?

That is the issue I am trying to resolve. I am on A07 and rooted. The A08 OTA fails, assuming due to my root.

Since I cannot unroot without a stock A07 image, I don't know if booting with an older image will allow me to apply an OTA, will it?

Thanks for your help
I cannot say for certain but considering the size of the updates there's probably minimal or no differences between the kernels of these updates. If you are concerned about it I would just extract the A07 kernel from the EU full OTA zip and use that. It's generally straightforward to extract it from the OTA zip if I recall correctly.

My personal thoughts are that booting the A06 kernel will be fine for installing the update.

MNoisy

I cannot say for certain but considering the size of the updates there's probably minimal or no differences between the kernels of these updates. If you are concerned about it I would just extract the A07 kernel from the EU full OTA zip and use that. It's generally straightforward to extract it from the OTA zip if I recall correctly.

My personal thoughts are that booting the A06 kernel will be fine for installing the update.
No luck with A06. I booted with it and attempted to upgrade, both with the system and locally, with failures.

If anyone is willing to take the time to send or post the stock boot image from A07 US, I would really appreciate it. I reeeealllly don't want to go through wiping the phone just to get the A08 update after finally getting things set up the way I wanted :).

My last OnePlus was the 8T. Are they still sporadically posting full ROM's on the developer section of the OnePlus website?

Jager

Feb 21, 2010
No luck with A06. I booted with it and attempted to upgrade, both with the system and locally, with failures.

If anyone is willing to take the time to send or post the stock boot image from A07 US, I would really appreciate it. I reeeealllly don't want to go through wiping the phone just to get the A08 update after finally getting things set up the way I wanted :).

My last OnePlus was the 8T. Are they still sporadically posting full ROM's on the developer section of the OnePlus website?
To update with incremental OTA zip you need to be unrooted. When I did the A06 to A07 update I unrooted completely before the update. You will probably need to unroot along with booting stock kernel unless oneplus releases full OTA zip.

MNoisy

To update with incremental OTA zip you need to be unrooted. When I did the A06 to A07 update I unrooted completely before the update. You will probably need to unroot along with booting stock kernel unless oneplus releases full OTA zip.
That is my original post and precisely why I need the A07 stock boot image.

Magisk did not back up the original image when I rooted, so I have no ability to do that until I get the image again.

Unrooting with the A06 image still resulted in the update failing.

Jager

Feb 21, 2010
That is my original post and precisely why I need the A07 stock boot image.

Magisk did not back up the original image when I rooted, so I have no ability to do that until I get the image again.

Unrooting with the A06 image still resulted in the update failing.
Yes I understand, I unfortunately do not have a stock A07 kernel to share. I cannot even get the OTA zip for it as I cannot find a link.

Jager

Feb 21, 2010
I have downloaded EU A08 update and extracted the kernel. I have also patched it with Magisk app. I will attach both in case it will help someone.

EDIT:

I have successfully updated from A07 to A08 while keeping root. Here are the steps I have taken:

1. Unroot with Magisk app (restore images)
2. Reboot
3. Install update (phone should reboot)
4. Make sure update is installed in Settings > About > Version
5. adb reboot bootloader
6. Boot patched image attached here (unzip first)
7. Use Magisk to Direct Install
8. Reboot
9. ????
10. Profit

Also @MNoisy both the A07 and A08 kernels have the same build numbers, the A08 stock image I posted here might work for you in some manner. I was able to boot A08 kernel on A07 system.

Attachments

• A08_boot_patched.zip
    20.3 MB · Views: 62
  • A08_boot_stock.zip
    19.9 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

MNoisy

I have downloaded EU A08 update and extracted the kernel. I have also patched it with Magisk app. I will attach both in case it will help someone.

EDIT:

I have successfully updated from A07 to A08 while keeping root. Here are the steps I have taken:

2. Reboot
5. adb reboot bootloader
8. Reboot
9. ????
10. Profit

Also @MNoisy both the A07 and A08 kernels have the same build numbers, the A08 stock image I posted here might work for you in some manner. I was able to boot A08 kernel on A07 system.
Thank you! I will post back with updates when I have a chance to test this one.

Jager

Feb 21, 2010
Thank you! I will post back with updates when I have a chance to test this one.
I wonder if you can get magisk to restore that image somehow. I feel like just booting it might not be enough to have the system update work. I do not know if it is safe to 'fastboot flash' it or not, hopefully someone else with experience can weigh in on actually flashing the image.

MNoisy

I wonder if you can get magisk to restore that image somehow. I feel like just booting it might not be enough to have the system update work. I do not know if it is safe to 'fastboot flash' it or not, hopefully someone else with experience can weigh in on actually flashing the image

I wonder if you can get magisk to restore that image somehow. I feel like just booting it might not be enough to have the system update work. I do not know if it is safe to 'fastboot flash' it or not, hopefully someone else with experience can weigh in on actually flashing the image.
I was unable to get mine to update after booting with the A08 image, as well as flashing the image and trying a local update.

I was able to revert and forth to A07 with no issues, but I only have the rooted A07 image.

Is the Magisk backup path always the same for each device, or can we create it manually to trick Magisk into using it as the image to restore?

liver20

Dec 24, 2012
OnePlus 7T
OnePlus 8 Pro

EDIT:

2. Reboot
5. adb reboot bootloader
8. Reboot
9. ????
10. Profit

Wrong method!!

First
Disable magisk modules
Install local upgrade latest ota
Install magisk inactive slot
Reboot
Profit

Jager

Feb 21, 2010
Wrong method!!

First
Disable magisk modules
Install local upgrade latest ota
Install magisk inactive slot
Reboot
Profit
Please do tell how you can do this without a full OTA zip since it does not seem available for the US variant yet. Installation will fail if rooted and trying to install an incremental update. Also after installing the update the phone automatically reboots and does not give you time to install Magisk to the inactive slot.

Has the method you posted actually worked for you on this specific phone? The method I used has worked twice for me. There does not seem to be a way to do it without the full OTA zip and without being able to disable the automatic reboot from the system update.

Please share where you were getting the full OTA zip for US version, where the option is to install it from local storage (option was removed from what I can tell), and how you can disable the automatic rebooting after installing an OTA zip.

Last edited:

liver20

Dec 24, 2012
OnePlus 7T
OnePlus 8 Pro
Please do tell how you can do this without a full OTA zip since it does not seem available for the US variant yet. Installation will fail if rooted and trying to install an incremental update. Also after installing the update the phone automatically reboots and does not give you time to install Magisk to the inactive slot.

Has the method you posted actually worked for you on this specific phone? The method I used has worked twice for me. There does not seem to be a way to do it without the full OTA zip and without being able to disable the automatic reboot from the system update.

Please share where you were getting the full OTA zip for US version, where the option is to install it from local storage (option was removed from what I can tell), and how you can disable the automatic rebooting after installing an OTA zip.
Local upgrade apk is in telegram group, i can update
Rom full from oxygen updater app

Reactions: Jager

Jager

Feb 21, 2010
Local upgrade apk is in telegram group, i can update
Rom full from oxygen updater app
I must have missed that option in oxygen updater app. I will have to look again. Thanks for the info.

Edit:
US variant still does not have full OTA zip available in Oxygen updater app. I have not seen any full OTA zip for US variant since I got this phone about a month ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-30-10-23-25-88_1f7d930ac4546e961acbbe2ed3d9ab7f.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-30-10-23-25-88_1f7d930ac4546e961acbbe2ed3d9ab7f.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Reactions: MNoisy

Jager

Feb 21, 2010

EDIT:

2. Reboot
5. adb reboot bootloader
8. Reboot
9. ????
10. Profit

I have just successfully updated my second 10T with this method. Seems to be the only way to do it since full OTA zip is not available for US variant. It is not optimal at all but seems to work.

MNoisy

Local upgrade fails as well.
I have just successfully updated my second 10T with this method. Seems to be the only way to do it since full OTA zip is not available for US variant. It is not optimal at all but seems to work.

Is anyone able to provide me with the file, and exact path of the Magisk backup image?

Worth a shot before having to do a full wipe since flashing or booting both original a06 and a08 still failed the update attempts through system and local upgrade.

Thank you!

UPDATE: Jager helped me get the files and I was able to restore/unroot with Magisk successfully to update with the OTA process. Big thanks to him. Stock Boot A07 US image with original /data path attached.

Attachments

• magisk_backup_16275fe94dd608365d147b09e0521d0e4a796d24.zip
    20.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions: Jager

Zooders

Oct 1, 2022
I've just received today the 10T 5G CPH2415.

I unlocked the bootloader in the same way as the Oneplus 10Pro

in settigs OEM unlock and ADB Debug.

by Powershell:
  1. adb devices
  2. Adb reboot bootloader
  3. fastboot devices
  4. fastboot flashing unlock
in case of issue on installing the driver, in fastboot mode, on win11, you need to reboot Windows in the mode "Disable driver signature enforcement"

when the phone is started, reboot again in fastboot then I booted it with the boot.img of the indian version which I found (I patched it with Magisk 25.2).
  1. fastboot devices
  2. fastboot boot patched_boot.img
when it stared, I patched it with Magisk directly.

by using "oneplus local update for android 12" the root can be kept.
Install the firmware with oplocal, dont reboot, open magisk flash it on the second slot; only now you can reboot.

DON'T REBOOT after the FW installation.

The firmware can be downloaded through the app Oxygen Updater. (Full update)
---------------------------
Attachment:
Boot Patched 10T from Indian version img
OPLocal Update for Android 12 apk
Stock boot A06 CPH2415 img
Patched Boot A06 CPH2415 (Magisk 25.2) img
I have the oneplus 10t also but model CPH2417, will this work for me?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've just received today the 10T 5G CPH2415.

I unlocked the bootloader in the same way as the Oneplus 10Pro

in settigs OEM unlock and ADB Debug.

by Powershell:
    1. adb devices
    2. Adb reboot bootloader
    3. fastboot devices
    4. fastboot flashing unlock
    in case of issue on installing the driver, in fastboot mode, on win11, you need to reboot Windows in the mode "Disable driver signature enforcement"

when the phone is started, reboot again in fastboot then I booted it with the boot.img of the indian version which I found (I patched it with Magisk 25.2).
    1. fastboot devices
    2. fastboot boot patched_boot.img
    when it stared, I patched it with Magisk directly.

by using "oneplus local update for android 12" the root can be kept.
    Install the firmware with oplocal, dont reboot, open magisk flash it on the second slot; only now you can reboot.

DON'T REBOOT after the FW installation.

The firmware can be downloaded through the app Oxygen Updater. (Full update)
    ---------------------------
    Attachment:
    Boot Patched 10T from Indian version img
    OPLocal Update for Android 12 apk
    Stock boot A06 CPH2415 img
    Patched Boot A06 CPH2415 (Magisk 25.2) img
    You followed this guide

https://www.droidwin.com/root-oneplus-10t-via-magisk-patched-boot-img/

or did you only flash the patched boot.img?
    Don't follow that guide. You just need to boot (not flash) a patched boot image and then run direct install. This also creates backups of your stock images which you'll need when you OTA.
    I understand that, but in the instructions, the repaired vendor_boot.img is also flashed
    Are you not listening to me? I just told you how to do it. Boot the patched image and run the direct install. Magisk installer will do what needs to be done for you. This is also the same thing the OP has done. Ignore those other instructions you found, they are incorrect and pose problems when you take OTA updates as OnePlus is moving away from full OTAs to incremental ones that will not flash to a phone with modified images.

For the record, patched dtbo and vendor_boot are needed as well but Magisk does this for you.
    Hi,
    here is the dump for the boot.img:

Disclaimer: i did not test this against my device yet
    It is true that when rooting the OnePlus 7 pro I only flashed the repaired boot.img. I was surprised that Sadique Hassan recommends otherwise for this model.
    Again, DON'T flash the patched image! You must use the direct install method in Magisk after booting the patched image.