• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROOT][5/24]Sprint One Root and Disable System Write Protection

Search This thread

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
Thanks to Dees_Troy getting TWRP working on this device, I have made an easy way to root your Sprint One and disable /system write protection.

Q&A
What does this contain?
  • Everything necessary to install the latest SuperSU and supporting files (su binary included)
  • Install latest busybox in recovery
  • A ported wp_mod.ko module for this kernel
  • A script to start wp_mod.ko
  • A modified boot.img - insecured (allows for remounting of /system to rw when in Android), enabled USB debugging by default, and added busybox run-parts (alows scripts to run during boot).

What is /system write protection?
  • HTC now keeps you from writing to /system through the kernel. When you try to modify anything in /system, you'll get a reboot. This cannot be fixed until there is source available, so this method by flar2 works wonderfully.

How is this different from this method?
  • TWRP's method is great, but it doesn't disable /system rw protection. This means that you will still experience issues when modifying /system when booted into Android (deleting/adding files, updating SuperSU binary, etc). I would recommend my flashable .zip method!

Can I use this if I already installed SuperSU from TWRP?
  • Yes, you can flash this with no issues.

Instructions
  • Download and flash TWRP
  • Download the .zip below, push it to the phone, reboot to recovery, and flash the .zip - Video by wwjoshdew here if you are unsure what to do! Thanks wwjoshdew!

Credits
  • Chainfire for SuperSU
  • Dees_Troy for making TWRP recovery for Sprint One
  • flar2 for the original wp_mod.ko

Last edited:

youkosnake

Jan 7, 2011
Haha. You guys are blazing through this. I'm never really around during the days before a launch. I'm not sure how it works. I suppose you've earned a nap. Back to your dev dungeon in the morning though.

Sent straight out ta Compton

youkosnake

Jan 7, 2011
What a champion among men. Fine a bit longer nap when you're done. And the good gruel!

All jokes aside, thanks a lot for all of this. Now I'm prepped for Fridays release.

How'd you get into devving anyways? Did you have previous programming knowledge or just dive right in? I really wanna get into it and I'm very knowledgeable about computers and android but I've haven't dealt with coding much(save for a few lessons on codecademy) nor have looked much into development for android. Is it difficult to say add a new setting to the stock settings or to bake in/remove an app that wasn't there or needs to be removed?

Sorry if I'm taking up your time I'm just really interested in getting into it. I've been running other peoples ROMs from lgoptimusog>htcevoOG>htcevo3d>galaxye4gt>evolte>galaxys3 not to mention tablet ROMs and I just want to make my own tailored to me.

Sent straight outta Compton

Clamhost

Feb 14, 2011
www.clamhost.com
So what fastboot commands would I use? I may make a tutorial on youtube once I get the Sprint HTC One on Friday. Rooting can be complicated, but is so much fun to do! Thanks for the fast root, I mean damn the phone ain't even out yet! So excited, as I cannot wait for Cyangenmod and PACMan ROM's. I love stock Android!

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
So what fastboot commands would I use? I may make a tutorial on youtube once I get the Sprint HTC One on Friday. Rooting can be complicated, but is so much fun to do! Thanks for the fast root, I mean damn the phone ain't even out yet! So excited, as I cannot wait for Cyangenmod and PACMan ROM's. I love stock Android!

The directions are in the OP and there is no need for fastboot to flash this. You may need to use fastboot to flash TWRP, please head over to that thread for support.

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
The directions are in the OP and there is no need for fastboot to flash this. You may need to use fastboot to flash TWRP, please head over to that thread for support.

Thanks for clarifying. The FAQ question asking "how is this different from the directions for TWRP?" had me thinking this was an alternative not something that works hand in hand. Perhaps adding that clarity might help others looking in here.

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Thanks for clarifying. The FAQ question asking "how is this different from the directions for TWRP?" had me thinking this was an alternative not something that works hand in hand. Perhaps adding that clarity might help others looking in here.

Right under it, it says:

Can I use this if I already installed SuperSU from TWRP?
Yes, you can flash this with no issues.

So I think it's decently clear.

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Are we not able to download files directly to the phone and then flash them in twrp with the one as we did with the ltevo? Thanks

Sent from my EVO using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Are we not able to download files directly to the phone and then flash them in twrp with the one as we did with the ltevo? Thanks

Yeah, you can. If you have TWRP installed, you can flash one of the stock rooted ROMs I put out (they have this built-in), or if you want to just flash this, it's basically the same as stock Odex ROM. Your call, but I'd hop on a deodex ROM, all mods will be done for deodex ROMs.

Reactions: treIII

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Yeah, you can. If you have TWRP installed, you can flash one of the stock rooted ROMs I put out (they have this built-in), or if you want to just flash this, it's basically the same as stock Odex ROM. Your call, but I'd hop on a deodex ROM, all mods will be done for deodex ROMs.

Thanks viper. I'll have my phone tomorrow. I still liked the ltevo. My son will enjoy it though. S off. What firmware is the one for sprint coming with? And if it comes with the older firmware that I've seen posted should I just keep that until we get s off? I'm asking you viper because of your experience with android and HTC. Is there a way to disable otas on the one also? Again thank you

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Thanks viper. I'll have my phone tomorrow. I still liked the ltevo. My son will enjoy it though. S off. What firmware is the one for sprint coming with? And if it comes with the older firmware that I've seen posted should I just keep that until we get s off? I'm asking you viper because of your experience with android and HTC. Is there a way to disable otas on the one also? Again thank you

Mine says:

Baseband version: 1.00.20.0315
PRI Version: 3.17_003

I checked for updates before I flashed TWRP and my ROM, but there were no updates.

I have disabled OTA's on the stock builds that will be updated shortly :)

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Mine says:

Baseband version: 1.00.20.0315
PRI Version: 3.17_003

I checked for updates before I flashed TWRP and my ROM, but there were no updates.

I have disabled OTA's on the stock builds that will be updated shortly :)

Should I take otaif I have one available it disregard? I'm sure you devs will come up with the firmware zips like before. Right? Where's s off viper. Joke.. impatient? Really. I wouldn't do that. Thanks

-viperboy-

Jun 24, 2007
PA
Should I take otaif I have one available it disregard? I'm sure you devs will come up with the firmware zips like before. Right? Where's s off viper. Joke.. impatient? Really. I wouldn't do that. Thanks

You won't get an OTA message, and you don't want one cause it would ruin your ROM.

And yeah, someone will get firmware up at some point.

Top Liked Posts