• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root and custom ROM support

Search This thread

zdenko1

Jul 15, 2009
What TWRP? There's no development going on here, and who on Earth knows how the BL unlocks, or if Vivo is ever going to allow/enable it.

I know that and it will stay that way if people won't try playing around with the phone. I was more interested in what that software installation button does.

Last edited:

paatha13

Jul 27, 2016
Athens
Don’t anyone expect custom rom,twrp and any kind third party custom development unless Vivo release kernel sources witch seems unlikely.

Only thing could be done is via adb uninstall some Chinese bloatware that could not with within Funtouch 4.0 OS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WhySoSeriousJoKer

Oct 22, 2013
Leeuwarden
ZTE Axon 30
---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

I have the vivo x21 (and oppo r15 pro) too. The Nova problem is unique to the nex. I was able to get Nova on the vivo x21 and oppo r15 pro fine. But in nex you MUST HAVE A vivo account. Trust me on this. Ive been slapping Nova on vivo phones since the xplay 6. This is a new problem for the nex and there is no workaround.

It's worth noting I'm using the trash china version of the nex. Maybe if there is an international rom it will be better.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

No there isn't. Just because you can get nova on another phone by another brand doesn't mean it will work on the Nex.

Like I said, I have the Vivo X21 and Oppo r15 pro and I could get nova on those phones fine. But I can't get nova on the Nex. You need a Vivo account. I managed to borrow my friends China number to start an account so now I am able to run nova on the Nex. Otherwise, nah.

Did you even try it? In the Vivo the app is called vivo.security

Last edited:

radioraheem2

Oct 15, 2015
Did you even try it? In the Vivo the app is called vivo.security

Jesus, yes I've tried it.

This is the last time I'm answering this:

YOU CANNOT USE NOVA OR ANY THIRD PARTY LAUNCHER UNLESS YOU HAVE A VIVO ACCOUNT with the Nex. This is a NEW development, as the Vivo X21 can handle third party launcher without a Vivo account fine.

I have no idea how, despite me saying "I have the Vivo Nex, you cannot install third party launcher", people who DON'T HAVE THE PHONE YET still want to argue with me and say "nah i think you can."

LOL Meister

Jun 14, 2018
Found that there is a special adb and fastboot for vivo. Now works perfectly and I removed all bloatware. Actually the phone is super snappy now!

Hey! I have my NEX now and I would really appreciate if someone who has been able to remove the bloatware shared a somewhat detailed "guide" what needs to be done to get the bloatware removed. It can be a bit difficult to get started as a noob and I don't want to kill my new 800€ phone^^
I can live with the funtouch OS but getting rid of all the chinese stuff I can't read and making the phone faster overall I think is a necessary step for every western NEX owner.

Last edited:

dstarr

Dec 22, 2011
Jesus, yes I've tried it.

This is the last time I'm answering this:

YOU CANNOT USE NOVA OR ANY THIRD PARTY LAUNCHER UNLESS YOU HAVE A VIVO ACCOUNT with the Nex. This is a NEW development, as the Vivo X21 can handle third party launcher without a Vivo account fine.

I have no idea how, despite me saying "I have the Vivo Nex, you cannot install third party launcher", people who DON'T HAVE THE PHONE YET still want to argue with me and say "nah i think you can."
Just to clarify, a public Vivo account will work too?

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

kwongwt

Sep 23, 2008
Just to clarify on the launcher. I do have an Vivo account, but not sure if the option to replace stock launcher is availabe before I registered. You need to access the security option first, and then change default app.

Attachments

• 20180704_123640.jpg
    20180704_123640.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:

TooHow

Jul 11, 2018
no root require

i have vivo nex too . same buy from aliexpress ,i live north America you just need open vivo app store search Google map download then open it ,will notice do you want install google play choose yes, ok everything done. 0

Grom8

Jul 3, 2018
I basically tried every combination of boot loader unlocking for a Vivo phone and I managed to get success (past errors where adb fast boot refuses to connect to the phone) but the unlocking always fails.

Either you get a (remote: uncloak fail) when using the command fastboot bbk unlock_vivo
Or, (remote: check signature fail) using fastboot vivo_bsp unlock_vivo

I think all we can do now is wait for an update from Vivo and/or someone finds an exploit :(

Metawolve

Jul 12, 2018
Hello guys,

I can't get adb to work :(
I installed the Vivo adb driver, activated USB debugging on the phone, got it into file transfer mode, but -
adb devices (via Powershell) shows nothing and adb shell just gives "no devices found".
What am I doing wrong?

richardyusan

Nov 5, 2012
rooting vivo phones is impossible, vivo not release their source code, if u want developer friendly get oneplus
oneplus, vivo, and oppo are under one mother company (bbk)

junior_zhou

Jul 22, 2018
Some good news about global ROM. It seems that nex was sold in Taiwan, a special province of China, where they should provide fully google support and remove all China apps. I think we should wait for the TW version ROM.
Also, I try to ask the official customer support about the TW firmware, they said they will not allow us to install it on the China version nex. But I think as the firmware release, there is a chance that we can do that.

paatha13

Jul 27, 2016
Athens
rooting vivo phones is impossible, vivo not release their source code, if u want developer friendly get oneplus

oneplus, vivo, and oppo are under one mother company (bbk)

Exactly as long as Vivo doesn’t released kernel source don’t expect custom development support.

And I have to admit that from personal view and looking Vivo practices latest years that near impossible this to happened

OnePlus only if anyone want unlimited custom development support.

Some good news about global ROM. It seems that nex was sold in Taiwan, a special province of China, where they should provide fully google support and remove all China apps. I think we should wait for the TW version ROM.

Also, I try to ask the official customer support about the TW firmware, they said they will not allow us to install it on the China version nex. But I think as the firmware release, there is a chance that we can do that.

Good news but Chinese bloatware is not an issue actually at Chinese version as you can completely remove manually almost 95% via settings menu and app list and rest of the them very easily via adb command.

As for google play store/play services you just downloaded via Vivo store and then you can use whatever app want via play store as usual like being global rom.

The only truly reason for purchasing version with global rom is because of out of box support of google assistant as opposite to Vivo digital assistant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thats great news actually. I have successfully rooted and installed a custom ROM on my galaxy S5. But I am still quite new to the topic and therefore I want to ask: if some videos or websites claim that they have a way to root *any* android device: can that be true from a technical standpoint or is such a thing always scam?
    It is definitely a scam, there's no way of rooting *any* phone, it's true that most phones become rootable sooner or later, but that depends on the manufacturer and those who modify the device. The thing is that technically any android phone can be rooted, but that can only be done if one first has access to a bootloader which they can send commands to, such as flashing a recovery. Apps or sites that say they can root any phone is a very deceptive way of tricking inexperienced users, based on somewhat facts.

The process of rooting a phone goes something like this:
    1. Manufacturer releases software which allows a pc to communicate with the phone, therefore allowing for the pc to send commands such as flashing a recovery, sideloading a custom rom, restoring stock firmware, etc.
    2. At that point, the user has complete access to their phone, just as the manufacturer would, so they can flash a recovery, through which they could flash supersu or magisk in order to root their phone, or a custom rom.

Now the thing about apps that can supposedly root a phone through the os, without it having root, is that some of them are legit, but they work in many different ways, those ways vary from each device. Apps such as kingroot (roots the phone without the need of a pc) is that they normally look for system apps which they can exploit and use as a backdoor to gain root access for the device, such apps can indeed root multiple devices, but no app can root literally any phone. This is because, if for example there was a phone that was released 15th june, 2018, and would have extremely good security, no apps that could be used as a backdoor, the app simply couldn't exploit that device. This is exactly why very new phones (such as the vivo nex) have no custom roms or root, because they're so new that no exploits have been found, and the manufacturer hasn't released software for users to root, nor have they released source code for developers to start building custom roms for them.

Sorry for the long paragraphs, hope I helped.
    Moral of the story: don't trust weird apps saying they can root any device.
    Found that there is a special adb and fastboot for vivo. Now works perfectly and I removed all bloatware. Actually the phone is super snappy now!
    fyi: to enter recovery mode:
    1. power off
    2. push power + vol up
    3. choose recovery

nSn1AWj.png

E8rwvoC.png

Say: 'thank you Google translate!'
    You need to get on typing up a guide for this, stat! ;)
    Thank you.

So what's the things we are missing using a semi westernised ROM over a full western ROM?

How are sellers able to get custom ROMs on the phone so early? (Or are they not custom ROMs?).

I think they might have some contracts with Vivo...
    Even more proof of that if you look on AliExpress they charge way premium for the devices. I paid 800€ on the 8G 128G version!

I think that there are no disadvantages besides anything regarding their AI tech which will only understand Chinese I think.
    Once I am not planning to use that, that's no problem. People claim that the funtouch OS is somewhat unstable but I will test that for myself. The seller I ordered from claims that I will be able to receive over the air updates so they will surely patch things over time.
    Remember that if you do not like their OS you can still install a launcher from playstore.

But if any of that holds true, I will see when my phone arrives. The seller claims that they will ship it out over the next 7 days per DHL.
    I will update here on my experience, installing launchers, if playstore is there or not etc.