• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

(ROOT) Android 11 / Latest stock and patched img's / payload dumper / magisk_patched guides

Search This thread

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi everyone, need to ask one thing.... Using this method, will i lose any of my data?
Wanted to have root without losing data...

Regards
Yep, as @tfae has said, rooting doesn't make you lose data, but if you're yet to unlock your bootloader then yes you would need to back up first as unlocking it will definitely wipe everything.

Rooting just changes the boot.img.

As per the OP, back up anyway.

Reactions: d3m0nzh0und

d3m0nzh0und

Feb 21, 2015
Yep, as @tfae has said, rooting doesn't make you lose data, but if you're yet to unlock your bootloader then yes you would need to back up first as unlocking it will definitely wipe everything.

Rooting just changes the boot.img.

As per the OP, back up anyway.
Thank you so much for prompt response mate. It's been a lovely thread because of your shear contribution. In developer options, the bootloader is set to unlock. I hope I won't lose any data. My cell is US/Global version, is there a way to download full OTA update 11.0.7.7 so that i can take out the boot img and patch it up usong magisk v23? If there's, kindly if you can share the link for full update.

Regards

Reactions: dladz

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
Thank you so much for prompt response mate. It's been a lovely thread because of your shear contribution. In developer options, the bootloader is set to unlock. I hope I won't lose any data. My cell is US/Global version, is there a way to download full OTA update 11.0.7.7 so that i can take out the boot img and patch it up usong magisk v23? If there's, kindly if you can share the link for full update.

Regards

You're more than welcome mate, glad to help.

So did you actually unlock your bootloader?

I'd have thought you'd have remembered as it will have wiped your phone, I have another thread about unlocking the bootloader in this guides section..

OEM unlocking has to be checked in developer options.

You can try rooting, as it won't have any effect if it's locked.

But if that is the case then, you'll want to make a back up and follow that thread then jump on this one.

EDIT: Ahh you're on AA, so you will either have to use the already available AA patches or extract your own, although the guide here won't work for that unless the full update for AA becomes available. @bouchigo could be able to assist with the AA patched image.

Last edited:

bouchigo

Jan 17, 2008
Stockton
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 2 XL

Regards
As @dladz already mentioned, OnePlus always lags behind for the US/global version. The full image and OTA aren't available yet. If you go to the 11.0.5.5.IN11AA thread I posted the patched (that I patched with v23.0 stable magisk) and unpatched/stock boot images that I pulled from my rooted 11.0.7.7.IN11AA phone. If the original poster asks me to remove them from there, I will, as to not clutter up that thread; I won't be starting a new thread for it.

Last edited:

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
Iasi
Thank you very much for helping out.
Msm don't work for me. My phone is not seen in Device Manager (it show = Android). I installed all the latest Qualcom drivers.
My laptop usb's 3.1 only. My sister usb's only 3.0.
Phone ON, pc see it. Phone in Fastboot/Bootloader Not seen.
Un-root is easy. I was on latest Canary.
Lock the bootloader is not. I try with adb & Mauronofrio Tool. Not workig for me.
Same. Phone on is seen in Tool. Reboot to bootloader, not anymore.
I'll try to borrow a laptop...

Reactions: dladz

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
Thank you very much for helping out.
Msm don't work for me. My phone is not seen in Device Manager (it show = Android). I installed all the latest Qualcom drivers.
My laptop usb's 3.1 only. My sister usb's only 3.0.
Phone ON, pc see it. Phone in Fastboot/Bootloader Not seen.
Un-root is easy. I was on latest Canary.
Lock the bootloader is not. I try with adb & Mauronofrio Tool. Not workig for me.
Same. Phone on is seen in Tool. Reboot to bootloader, not anymore.
I'll try to borrow a laptop...

Yes I would recommend USB 2.

Don't bother with drivers, just allow windows to do the leg work..you only need to have what fastboot / ADB has in its folder plus MSM.

Then just connect and it should see it.

I would not use windows 7 as it does not reobtain drivers for fastboot (which you'll need)

Last edited:
Reactions: null0seven

gd*T

May 5, 2015
Hello everyone; so if i understand, there is no way to directly root under android 11 ? I'll have to downgrade to 10 before ?

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hello everyone; so if i understand, there is no way to directly root under android 11 ? I'll have to downgrade to 10 before ?
No that's not true..

You have to unlock your bootloader (regardless of OS)

Obtain the boot image for the firmware you're on and then boot it.

Then make it permanent by installing directly (whilst in the phones OS) using Magisk.

This is all in the OP.

d3m0nzh0und

Feb 21, 2015
As dladz already mentioned, OnePlus always lags behind for the US/global version. The full image and OTA aren't available yet. If you go to the 11.0.5.5.IN11AA thread I posted the patched (that I patched with Magisk) and unpatched/stock boot images that I pulled from my rooted 11.0.7.7.IN11AA phone. If the original poster asks me to remove them from there, I will, as to not clutter up that thread; I won't be starting a new thread for it.
I hope I've patched it rightly. I've used ur unpatched 11.0.7.7.IN11AA boot image and patched it using magisk canary v23... All i need to do is unlock bootloader and push the patched boot img right?

Thank u for the help... Rep+

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-234246.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-234246.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 27

bouchigo

Jan 17, 2008
Stockton
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 2 XL
I hope I've patched it rightly. I've used ur unpatched 11.0.7.7.IN11AA boot image and patched it using magisk canary v23... All i need to do is unlock bootloader and push the patched boot img right?

Thank u for the help... Rep+
It looks like the patching was done successfully.

You should boot the boot image to make sure it boots up correctly, and then do a direct install through the magisk app instead of directly flashing the boot image in fastboot...it's the safest bet (y)

Reactions: d3m0nzh0und
I don't have the AA device I'm afraid.

OnePlus has not been very forthcoming with the global version of their device (AA)

So you have to wait usually.

Just install oxygen updater as this will provide the quickest method to obtain it.

If you get the update on oxygen updater, then simply use my guide and you'll be fine..

You do need the full update..

Someone did actually use the BA patch from the OP and it worked?

Go back a few pages and you'll see who I'm referring to.

Personally I wouldn't have used it but it's possible.

Same here. Tired of waiting for the full version of AA firmware 11.0.6.6 or 11.0.7.7, I decided to install the latest BA patch on my rooted AA device. It works just fine so far. My steps: install BA patch (11.0.7.7) from Oxygen Updater --> Install Magisk to Inactive Slot (After OTA) --> Run "Keep Data" app (May be optional) --> Reboot --> done.

Fishawy

Mar 26, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8 Pro
Same here. Tired of waiting for the full version of AA firmware 11.0.6.6 or 11.0.7.7, I decided to install the latest BA patch on my rooted AA device. It works just fine so far. My steps: install BA patch (11.0.7.7) from Oxygen Updater --> Install Magisk to Inactive Slot (After OTA) --> Run "Keep Data" app (May be optional) --> Reboot --> done.
How did you get the 11.0.7.7 BA from Oxygen Updater while being on 11.0.5.5 AA? I'm considering this but doesn't the base difference prevent you from detecting the update?

My understanding is you cannot flash an incremental update while rooted, did you unroot to upgrade?

Also, what's the difference between AA and BA anyway? App-wise or else?

How did you get the 11.0.7.7 BA from Oxygen Updater while being on 11.0.5.5 AA? I'm considering this but doesn't the base difference prevent you from detecting the update?

My understanding is you cannot flash an incremental update while rooted, did you unroot to upgrade?

Also, what's the difference between AA and BA anyway? App-wise or else?
In Oxygen updater, change your Device setting to One Plus 8 Pro (EU) and enable Advanced Mode, you will be able to download 11.0.7.7 BA.

No need to unroot since 11.0.7.7 BA is full OTA. Just install it using local upgrade option. Don't reboot before installing magisk in the inactive slot if you don't want to lose root. I also ran the Keep Data app (not sure if it is needed, but doesn't hurt to run it just to be safe).

I don't know the exact difference between AA and BA. The only thing that I noticed is App Store prompted the option to install additional browser and search engine. It must have to do with EU law. Other than that, I don't see any difference after a week with 11.0.7.7 BA.

Fishawy

Mar 26, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8 Pro
In Oxygen updater, change your Device setting to One Plus 8 Pro (EU) and enable Advanced Mode, you will be able to download 11.0.7.7 BA.

No need to unroot since 11.0.7.7 BA is full OTA. Just install it using local upgrade option. Don't reboot before installing magisk in the inactive slot if you don't want to lose root. I also ran the Keep Data app (not sure if it is needed, but doesn't hurt to run it just to be safe).

I don't know the exact difference between AA and BA. The only thing that I noticed is App Store prompted the option to install additional browser and search engine. It must have to do with EU law. Other than that, I don't see any difference after a week with 11.0.7.7 BA.
Thanks for that.

I hope that switching from BA to AA in the future can also be done the same way without having to wipe.

Thanks for that.

I hope that switching from BA to AA in the future can also be done the same way without having to wipe.
That's is my understand too. I don't see any need to switch back to AA if update for AA keeps falling behind BA. I also followed the recommendation of backing up the persist.img before cross flashing just in case it is needed later.

Reactions: Fishawy

null0seven

Oct 1, 2013
Iasi

dladz

Thank you. And all other who helped out.(y)
To un-root & Lock the bootloader, Qualcom driver it's not the most important thing!
I got a laptop with one usb 2.0. Pfeewww !.. Still no qualcom 9008 driver in Device Manager.(win.10 pro_x64 with the latest updates).
I tried first Tool from Mouronofrio, then with ADB (drivers, adb/fastboot installed). Still does not see the phone in Fastboot/bootloader mode. With the phone ON, yes.
In MSM app Android 11 shows " Not connected". I read online that could be some problems with android 11.:geek:
I downloaded MSM Android 10 , now it shows "Connected", but does not show OnePlus or anything else. I said what the hell, press Start.
It worked.
I plugged in OTG flash drive with Oos 11.0.77. Flashed.
Now i am on Android 11.0.77 Locked, no root.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro

I wasn't fully aware you could even do that but it's great to see that it is indeed possible.

Nice one for taking the risk..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The full OTA for 11.0.7.7.IN11AA is up on the OnePlus home page if anyone still wants it. Maybe you guys already saw it, but just in case (y)
    Hi
    Is it ok to go from 11.0.2.2 (global) to 11.0.7.7 (global) using full ota file?
    So long as it's a full update sure..
    Hi,
    I have bought oneplus 8pro 3 days back 12/256 i am on 11.0.7.7 IN11AA , model: IN2020.
    I have unlocked the bootloader and i want to root now. I used xiaomi before and new in Oneplus system.

As far i know, I need the patched boot.img to root it but i did not find for my version. Can anyone help me showing the way ??

TIA
    Did you bother to read this guide?
    It's the 1st step. Hard to miss.
    This is my last oneplus device, it's pixel for life now.

+1 for that. Quite a long journey here with OnePlus, but the company current direction is sad.

I tried the Pixel 5 for about 2 weeks, wasn't the device for me. Hopefully the 6/pro brings a decent upgrade.

Guess the only thing I'm gonna miss is the alert slider, but for heaps of pros, I can do without.

I may have spoken too soon. 3 years of Android + 4 years of security. Reading this makes giving up that alert slider not so easy. 😁

Sorry, I extracted the boot ok and fastbooted the patched boot image of cdroid. That's getting stuck on boot screen.

Apologies as I've not rooted since Android 9 when all was done via TWRP

So the guides in the OP but in short.

1. Grab the payload.bin file from crdroid, copy it to your computer's and run it through payload.exe

2. Grab the boot.img in the output folder and pop it on your phone.

3. Patch it using magisk, use the latest stable think it's v 23

4. Grab the patched image from downloads and copy it to your fastboot folder.

5. Boot it and then once booted, open magisk and install directly.

That should be it.
    Hi all,

Have seen a lot of requests for patched boot images on these threads so thought i'd share a guide on how to get it yourself as well as all the files required, plus the patched boot.img if you just want to go ahead and flash it without obtaining one yourself, just be sure to re-patch it with beta magisk if you do.

Please read the process before committing to proceeding, so you know whats required and what you should and shouldn't use!

Stock and patched images are UK/ EU but the guides are universal.

:)

NOTE:

For these guides the version used, was canary or beta, simply change the channel in magisk settings to canary / beta then select install / update:

Magisk Manager - Magisk (Canary) version: 1469b82a (21101)

Boot img patched using Magisk (Canary) version: 1469b82a (21101)

Boot img patched using Magisk beta 21.4 (21400)

11.0.4.4 (DO NOT UPDATE TO 22.0 YOU WILL BOOTLOOP!

Boot Img patched using Magisk beta
    21.4 (21400)

Boot img patched using Magisk Stable 22.0 (22000) (18)

Boot img patched using Magisk Stable 22.1 (22100)

Boot.img patched using Magisk Stable 23.0 (23000) (21)

1st

Extracting a boot.img using Payload dumper

Pre-requisites

A device with a working version of magisk manager installed, for these guides the version used was canary, simply change the channel to beta then select install / update:

Windows 10 computer / laptop
    A full update downloaded firmware zip for your model (recommend oxygen updater)
    Payload dumper program for Windows.

Usage

On your computer

1. Download and copy the PAYLOAD DUMPER folder to your desktop, there will be one folder with 2 files and 2 folders inside.

Download from here: https://mega.nz/folder/vU00FZDa#PIEfjl5w5wonyNAwHW3FBQ

2. Download the firmware of your choice and open it using Winrar or a similar zip program, extract the file called payload.bin to the folder within the payload folder called payload_input.

3. Run the program payload_dumper.exe, a Command prompt will open to show extraction progress (this will extract a bunch of files to the payload_output folder) allow it to completely finish (the CMD window will close automatically)

4. One of the files will be called boot.img /, this is the file we'll be patching, copy this to your phone, root of storage.

On your phone

5. Open up Magisk and click Install / Update, if you don't see update then install the beta by changing the channel in magisk settings, it'll then show the install/ update buttons.

6. Select "Select and Patch a file" it'll open up a file browser, navigate to the boot.img you copied earlier and select it, allow it to complete (this will output a file called "magisk_patched" (which will be in the Downloads folder)

You now have a patched boot.img ready to flash to either slot with fastboot or boot via fastboot, would recommend booting as this is risk free, if it's a bad image for whatever reason and you choose to flash then your phone may bootloop.

NOTE** Some people have noticed that an already patched boot.img when flashed can fail and cause a boot loop when flashed via fastboot so if you have downloaded a magisk_patched img from somewhere else then you WILL need to re-patch it on your own device preferably using the afore mentioned magisk manager.

If you intend to follow the guide below with your own patched img then you should'nt need to patch twice but it won't hurt.

;)

2nd

Upgrading from rooted Android 10 to rooted Android 11

Pre-requisites

A rooted device running Android 10
    Canary magisk manager or beta version that works:
    Windows 10 computer / laptop

Process

On your phone

1. Disable all Magisk mods

2. Download the Android 11 firmware using Oxygen updater DO NOT INSTALL AUTOMATICALLY, WE NEED TO INSTALL MANUALLY!!!

3. Once downloaded; open settings / system / system updates

4. Click the settings cog and click from local storage

5. Locate the firmware you downloaded, it's in the root of storage.

6. Click install and allow it to finish, DO NOT CLICK THE REBOOT BUTTON YET!

7. Open Magisk. manager and click "Install / Update"

8. Click "Install to Inactive slot (After OTA) (Once complete, click reboot)

As this is a new base the first boot may take a little longer.

Your phone will now boot with Android 11.0.0 and will have retained root, all your apps will remain as you left them.

Be careful what mods you re-enable as they may not be 11 compatible.

;)

3rd

Rooting using fastboot commands

Method 1

Booting the patched image first

1. Obtain a patched boot image for your device variant preferably using payload dumper or download one of mine from the foot of this guide or if you've just performed the above guide you should already have a functional one, copy this file to your fastboot folder on your computer

**NOTE - The above suggested downloads are for the EU/ UK variant- if you have another model / firmware please use that instead, If you did not obtain the boot.img from a firmware and patch it yourself, you will need to patch it again in magisk manager, to avoid a bootloop, if you still get a bootloop it's best to obtain one yourself

2. Reboot your phone to fastboot
    and connect to your computer.

3. Boot the magisk patched img

fastboot boot magisk_patched (or name of your patched boot img)

Your phone should now boot, you should now be rooted but we need to make this permanent, if you were to reboot you would lose root.

4. Open magisk manager and click install/update, if you are missing the install/ update buttons, change magisk version to beta in magisk settings and install the update, the buttons should then show.

5. Select Direct install (recommended) then click ok.

6. Allow magisk to permanently root your device then click reboot.

You should now boot and remain rooted.

Method 2

Flashing to both slots

1. Obtain a patched boot img for your device variant or download one of mine from the foot of this guide or if you've just performed the above guide you should already have a functional one, copy this file to your fastboot folder on your computer

**NOTE - Again the above suggested downloads are for the EU/ UK variant- if you have another model / firmware please use that instead, if you did not obtain the boot.img from a firmware and patch it yourself, you will need to patch it again in magisk manager, to avoid a bootloop

2. Reboot your phone to fastboot and connect to your computer.

Command: adb reboot bootloader

3. Open a command prompt on your computer and navigate to your ADB/fastboot folder.

4. Type the following.

fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched

Press enter.

fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched

Press enter

fastboot reboot

Press enter

6. Your phone should now boot, open magisk and verify you're rooted.

4th

Update from 11 stable to 11+ stable whilst retaining root

Guide

1. Download the relevant firmware for your device via oxygen updater

2. Open Magisk and remove all the modules you have installed, then reboot

**NOTE- At this point I tend to copy out the whole firmware to my computer, incase I need it in the future, the boot img and patched boot img are at the foot of this guide, I'll always upload the latest firmware as soon as it comes out for the UK/EU model

3. Open up settings / system / system updates , click the cog and select "Local Upgrade" the file should be listed on screen, if not then move the file to the root of your phones storage.

4. Click install and allow it to go through the process

**NOTE- DO NOT REBOOT AT THIS POINT YOU WILL LOSE THE ABILITY TO PATCH ON THE FLY, SIMPLY BACK OUT OF THE SCREEN WHICH SAYS "INSTALLATION COMPLETED. RESTART TO EXPERIENCE NEW FEATURES"

5. Open up magisk and click install (you may see two install buttons, top one is magisk and the bottom is magisk manager, we need the top one)

6. You'll be faced with a screen that has several options, you want to select "Install to Inactive slot (After OTA)" then select "LET'S GO" once complete click reboot.

7. Once your phones booted back up your system / files should all remain as they were and you should have root access.

You can now install all your modules again so long as they're compatible with the firmware you've just updated to.

Troubleshooting

If flashing succeeds but you don't have root and you've followed all the instructions, you may have some magisk modules still active, try performing the following.

1. Connect your phone to your computer.

2. Reboot the phone, then during the boot animation enter this command via ADB.

adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules

3. Allow to boot, modules will be removed and root should then be active.

Thanks @nycdiplomat for this tip.

If there is no magisk install / update buttons.

1. Make sure you have granted permission to magisk in settings / apps / magisk / permissions

2. Make sure that the update channel is on canary, then force close magisk and then re-open

3. If it still doesn't work then update magisk using canary

4. Last method to check would be to change to the beta channel in magisk settings, then install it.

Or change the update channel, install the version on offer, then change back to canary, install and you should be good to go.

Window's version

Windows 7 will not work with fastboot, please use windows 10.

Files:

Payload dumper program for Windows-
    https://mega.nz/folder/vU00FZDa#PIEfjl5w5wonyNAwHW3FBQ

Full OTA - Oxygen OS 11.0.1.1 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 FIRMWARE -
    https://mega.nz/file/TZl2WIBR#wSP3_bkoWl1FZZX7zfhobo3cYIAhWvDQ9f0ot3_qNFo

Oxygen OS 11.0.0 EU 11.IN11BA - IN2023 Patched boot.img -
    https://mega.nz/folder/TE8yWbIL#a6woc43pCpTX_URX5dWr1A

Oxygen OS 11.0.1.1 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Stock boot.img -
    https://mega.nz/folder/6d1mVYgJ#tE90TcwqTLp71SgZX9Xxhg

Oxygen OS 11.0.1.1 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Patched boot.img -
    https://mega.nz/folder/CINjAQCZ#SnssRugbc0sELF0ajSAEXg

Oxygen OS 11.0.2.2 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Stock boot.img -
    https://mega.nz/folder/PFsmFDKY#01sGzxzVpiAELjcT0LuZmQ

Oxygen OS 11.0.2.2 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Patched boot.img -
    https://mega.nz/folder/vJs0FRBD#SisIJ5FrmkJ3ej1RB6Yz3Q

Oxygen OS 11.0.3.3 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Stock boot.img -

Oxygen OS 11.0.3.3 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Patched boot.img -

Oxygen OS 11.0.4.4 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Stock boot.img -

Oxygen OS 11.0.4.4 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Patched boot.img -

Oxygen OS 11.0.5.5 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Stock boot.img -

Oxygen OS 11.0.5.5 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Patched boot.img -

Oxygen OS 11.0.6.6 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Stock boot.img -

Oxygen OS 11.0.6.6 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Patched boot.img -

Oxygen OS 11.0.7.7 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Stock boot.img

Oxygen OS 11.0.7.7 - EU IN11BA -IN2023 Patched boot.img
    OP UPDATED:

Stock and patched boot images are both up.

made with Magisk stable 22.1

STOCK: https://mega.nz/folder/7J0mWYLL#6jr6SsV44Lz3V0A3QhgM-A

PATCHED: https://mega.nz/folder/3MUxFSqL#Qsxp4ncferGLn_Oz0VwTZw
    Have had a taste of the custom ROM's on the Oneplus device's.

Bottom line is this:

Pro's

Superior OS
    Faster OS
    Ridiculous amount of options
    CRT (sweet jesus why did they ever remove this animation)
    Epic amount of options and tweaks
    You get to use Gcam (yay, sort of)

Cons

Truly HORRIFIC camera support, it utilizes none of the Oneplus' cameras capabilities, and i mean literally NONE!, it's diabolical
    Sub par battery life

This is my last oneplus device, it's pixel for life now. Apparently they can port the original camera in.

I need to change up.
    I'm running 11.0.5.5 and Magisk 22.0, rooted. All is working fine (apart from the centre clock module, which will hopefully get updated...)
    I'll need to update and do both as the CC is my mod too..

Cheers for the update, just been busy recently..

Will probably do all this tonight.
    11.0.4.4 has improved battery for me massively.

Screenshot. I had my phone plugged in briefly, but I'd still be on way over 25% If I hadn't.

8 hours 23 minutes.
    31% left.

Quite impressed by that.

Playing that game threes for ages too.