Root any BL UNLOCKED T-Mobile/Metro OnePlus Nord with Magisk and temp root

Search This thread

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
@onlycash I have constructed a small/random theory with no real basis. Could your problems be related to OOS 11? It sounds as dumb to me as it probably does to you, but I'm getting a nagging sensation that folks with success on your model aren't running the new update.

Just a weird hunch with no proper research, but I find it weird that you have these "unique" problems so I'm just spitting random junk at this point.
I've been asking myself that same question all along.

The big problem is they pushed 11 out and made it impossible to NOT install it, even if you had chosen 'do not auto update' in developer options. I didn't get my bootloader unlock token till after that point.

I'm not sure if I can go back to 10 and if so how. Also even if I did how would I root after it pushes 11 on me?

As you can see I have more questions than answers.

PS: I would be perfectly happy to have a rooted 10 or 11 and never update again. I only use these phones on WIFI in my living room and I don't care about updates in general.

thomaskmaagaard

May 15, 2014
OnePlus Nord
OnePlus Nord N100
I've been asking myself that same question all along.

The big problem is they pushed 11 out and made it impossible to NOT install it, even if you had chosen 'do not auto update' in developer options. I didn't get my bootloader unlock token till after that point.

I'm not sure if I can go back to 10 and if so how. Also even if I did how would I root after it pushes 11 on me?

As you can see I have more questions than answers.

Yeah looks like we basically wrote out replies at this same time😅 From my understanding (i have no idea) it looks like you can downgrade with the "unbrick"/"msm"/(whatever) tool? Maybe? Idk?

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
Yeah looks like we basically wrote out replies at this same time😅 From my understanding (i have no idea) it looks like you can downgrade with the "unbrick"/"msm"/(whatever) tool? Maybe? Idk?
I am unsure how and where I get that and if it works once you're on 11. Also, does it work on the Metro ROMs?

Do you know where that info is posted? Is it in the N100 forum?

(It feels like you and me posting to each other in this N100 forum amount to at least 25% of the total posts here.)

• Haha
Reactions: GOOGLE_USER

bouyakasha

Jan 23, 2008
Just to be clear I have a Metro N100 BE2015 running 11.0.1BE82CF.

With that being said, did you only get root when you went back to 10.5.8?

Are you rooted now on 11 and if so how did you get there?

Did you brick and go back to 10 then root 10 and update to 11 and keep root? How did you patch the img file after going to 11?

Any help and info would be much appreciated.

I am not rooted now on 11.
I bricked the 11 phone in a way that MSM can't even find or see the phone, so there's no way back as far as I know. I successfully rooted 10.5.8 on a different N100.

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
I am not rooted now on 11.
I bricked the 11 phone in a way that MSM can't even find or see the phone, so there's no way back as far as I know. I successfully rooted 10.5.8 on a different N100.
How did you keep your phone on 10.5.8?

Both of my phones forced updated to 11.

By the way, did you ever get TWRP to work?

Does your bricked N100 still go into the bootloader?

thomaskmaagaard

May 15, 2014
OnePlus Nord
OnePlus Nord N100
(It feels like you and me posting to each other in this N100 forum amount to at least 25% of the total posts here.)
Lol ikr?😂

Anyway, i think i linked it in a reply, but you seemed paranoid of it. Pretty sure this is the link:

Double check the model of course (be82 -->CF<-- )
Let me say I have never used these tools and have no idea how they work but to my understanding this is for oos11 and i think i might have read that it can downgrade to 10. But I'm on deep water here, I haven't used/tested/researched this stuff, so doing your own digging is suggested.

Edit: NVM probably not oos11 (I'm drunk lol)

bouyakasha

Jan 23, 2008
How to keep phone on 10.5.8 > Developer Options > Untoggle "Automatically Install System Updates"

I never tried TWRP.

My bricked N100 doesn't go to bootloader. It's bricked before that, sadly. Can't even get into EDL.

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
How to keep phone on 10.5.8 > Developer Options > Untoggle "Automatically Install System Updates"

I never tried TWRP.

My bricked N100 doesn't go to bootloader. It's bricked before that, sadly. Can't even get into EDL.
Well, I would be very careful because that option doesn't seem to prevent OnePlus from pushing 11.

I had that chosen that on both of my N100s and they both updated to 11 all on their own. I read others had that happen too. I think once the phone has WIFI it will update to 11.

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
Lol ikr?😂

Anyway, i think i linked it in a reply, but you seemed paranoid of it. Pretty sure this is the link:

Double check the model of course (be82 -->CF<-- )
Let me say I have never used these tools and have no idea how they work but to my understanding this is for oos11 and i think i might have read that it can downgrade to 10. But I'm on deep water here, I haven't used/tested/researched this stuff, so doing your own digging is suggested.

Edit: NVM probably not oos11 (I'm drunk lol)

I'll take it that the "Edit: NVM" means you haven't seen a way to get back to 10 once you're on 11.

If by chance you see anything that may help me find root please feel free to message and or post what you find.

Again thanks for all the help.

PS: Enjoy your evening!

luridphantom

Apr 4, 2021
GT-i9250
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
I posted a good deal on the TWRP thread. I can fastboot the TWRP on my phone but I can't see any files only folder tree, even with my SD card I don't see any files either with TWRP.

I should add I'm running TWRP on a Metro N100 which is both SIM and bootloader unlocked. Also I didn't flash the TWRP I only fastbooted it, could that be the problem?

I really would rather flash the zip and root that way if I could get the TWRP to work.

I'm unsure what "disable dm-verity by flashing an empty vbmeta image" means in my case. What does this do?

Again I'm truly grateful for any help, thank you.
i havent tested twrp on the android 11 build since i never updated mine past 10, but i know from rooting my pixel 3 you shoud always fastboot boot it

read here about dm-verity and why it's important to pay attention/disable it: https://blog.hovatek.com/dm_verity-is-probably-why-that-twrp-flash-ends-in-a-bootloop/

this guide is fairly new and only written for android 10 metro devices which worked without issue for me. if anybody gets android 11 root working it would be great to get any new instructions added to the main post if needed

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
i havent tested twrp on the android 11 build since i never updated mine past 10, but i know from rooting my pixel 3 you shoud always fastboot boot it

read here about dm-verity and why it's important to pay attention/disable it: https://blog.hovatek.com/dm_verity-is-probably-why-that-twrp-flash-ends-in-a-bootloop/

this guide is fairly new and only written for android 10 metro devices which worked without issue for me. if anybody gets android 11 root working it would be great to get any new instructions added to the main post if needed

Thanks for the reply.

I read what's posted in that link but I'm still unsure what I need to do. Did you flash the DM_Verify patch before... actually I'm not sure when you do it and if it's before using TWRP or just in general.

My Metro N100 which is running 11 does fastboot boot into TWRP it's just that I can't see any files even on the SD card.

If I could just find a way to run the Magisk zip file I think I'd have root.

Also as stated above I'm not sure if anyone has been able to root the Metro N100 once it's on 11.

This temp root idea is great but I can't the global img to boot. Has anyone been successful doing this starting on 11?

I'm guessing you don't know of any way I can downgrade to 10 at this point?

Again thanks for any help.

luridphantom

Apr 4, 2021
GT-i9250
Thanks for the reply.

I read what's posted in that link but I'm still unsure what I need to do. Did you flash the DM_Verify patch before... actually I'm not sure when you do it and if it's before using TWRP or just in general.

My Metro N100 which is running 11 does fastboot boot into TWRP it's just that I can't see any files even on the SD card.

If I could just find a way to run the Magisk zip file I think I'd have root.

Also as stated above I'm not sure if anyone has been able to root the Metro N100 once it's on 11.

This temp root idea is great but I can't the global img to boot. Has anyone been successful doing this starting on 11?

I'm guessing you don't know of any way I can downgrade to 10 at this point?

not seeing your files on twrp is actually how it's intended to be...if you don't mind losing your data or have already backed up everything do a format data in twrp then install Magisk to root your device

the issue is that android encrypts your data and twrp can't see that. you might be able to install Magisk if you plug in a usb flash drive and twrp can see it

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
not seeing your files on twrp is actually how it's intended to be...if you don't mind losing your data or have already backed up everything do a format data in twrp then install Magisk to root your device

the issue is that android encrypts your data and twrp can't see that. you might be able to install Magisk if you plug in a usb flash drive and twrp can see it
Interesting...

I think I follow you but why can't TWRP* see my SD card, that's not encrypted?

If you'll allow me to give you some background information maybe you'll be able to answer some of the questions I have.

I've traded messages with thomaskmaagaard about the TWRP which he has working to some degree on his N100. Now it's important to note I've got a (SIM & bootloader unlocked) Metro N100 and he has a regular N100.

Now with that being said he flashed TWRP to his N100 and I believe he can see and excess files, at the very least he can use the SD card with TWRP. In my case I haven't flashed TWRP as he did I've only fastboot it.

What I fear is if I flashed TWRP it would brick my phone or at the very least lose me my stock recovery function. It should be noted as far as I know OnePlus hasn't posted files that would be needed so I could restore my Metro N100 running 11, unlike thomaskmaagaard who I believe can restore his N100.

I wish I knew how to mod the TWRP to just get it just flastboot and install a zip because then Metro N100s would have a simple path to root. Can you think of any other way to run a zip in this fashion without a working TWRP?

*For reference this is the link to the TWRP I'm speaking of:

luridphantom

Apr 4, 2021
GT-i9250
Interesting...

I think I follow you but why can't TWRP* see my SD card, that's not encrypted?

If you'll allow me to give you some background information maybe you'll be able to answer some of the questions I have.

I've traded messages with thomaskmaagaard about the TWRP which he has working to some degree on his N100. Now it's important to note I've got a (SIM & bootloader unlocked) Metro N100 and he has a regular N100.

Now with that being said he flashed TWRP to his N100 and I believe he can see and excess files, at the very least he can use the SD card with TWRP. In my case I haven't flashed TWRP as he did I've only fastboot it.

What I fear is if I flashed TWRP it would brick my phone or at the very least lose me my stock recovery function. It should be noted as far as I know OnePlus hasn't posted files that would be needed so I could restore my Metro N100 running 11, unlike thomaskmaagaard who I believe can restore his N100.

I wish I knew how to mod the TWRP to just get it just flastboot and install a zip because then Metro N100s would have a simple path to root. Can you think of any other way to run a zip in this fashion without a working TWRP?

*For reference this is the link to the TWRP I'm speaking of:

I'm not the creator of this TWRP build nor have ever installed it on my device so I'm only conjecturing here

the spirit of this post is to find a way to extract the metro boot.img from your phone first, then patching it with Magisk and reflashing it with fastboot. the way i suggested was to use temp root from a global version of a prepatched boot file to get the boot.img file. now with twrp instead of temp root, id see if i can back up your boot imgs from both slots. take those backed up boot files and patch those with magisk then flash those with fastboot after verifying they dont brick your device

you gotta jump through those hoops since oneplus doesnt provide metro fw. unfortuately the twrp build posted isnt perfect so id reach out to the creator if it doesnt work for you. if you can backup your boot images youre pretty much guaranteed root once you patch it through magisk and flash it. you dont always need to use twrp for magisk flashing and its not encouraged for newer android versions due to all this dynamic partitioning crap nowdays

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
I'm not the creator of this TWRP build nor have ever installed it on my device so I'm only conjecturing here

the spirit of this post is to find a way to extract the metro boot.img from your phone first, then patching it with Magisk and reflashing it with fastboot. the way i suggested was to use temp root from a global version of a prepatched boot file to get the boot.img file. now with twrp instead of temp root, id see if i can back up your boot imgs from both slots. take those backed up boot files and patch those with magisk then flash those with fastboot after verifying they dont brick your device

you gotta jump through those hoops since oneplus doesnt provide metro fw. unfortuately the twrp build posted isnt perfect so id reach out to the creator if it doesnt work for you. if you can backup your boot images youre pretty much guaranteed root once you patch it through magisk and flash it. you dont always need to use twrp for magisk flashing and its not encouraged for newer android versions due to all this dynamic partitioning crap nowdays

I understand your point.

I was discussing the options because I don't believe this temp method, which I think is very promising, will work once the phone is on 11. It also seems inevitable that all unrooted Metro N100s will be running 11 whether they like it or not now that OnePlus is pushing 11 regardless of user settings.

It seems that the global 11 ROM will not boot on the Metro N100 as the earlier global 10 did. As far as I know, there is no way to go back to 10 from 11 with a Metro phone either.

I should also mention that the person who posted the TWRP hasn't been back since. I messaged that person and never got a response. I wish we could find someone who could get TWRP running if for no other reason than to just install the zip and get root.

It's a shame this forum is so dead. I think it's because most of the N100s that got into the wild are T-Mobile/MetroPCS phones. Those owners had to wait 6 months to get the SIM unlocked before they could work towards unlocking the bootloader. That's left development pretty much on hold for over half a year.

Again thanks for all the help and if you happen to come up with a way to gain temp root on 11 please post it, I'm sure many of us would be very grateful.

luridphantom

Apr 4, 2021
GT-i9250
I understand your point.

I was discussing the options because I don't believe this temp method, which I think is very promising, will work once the phone is on 11. It also seems inevitable that all unrooted Metro N100s will be running 11 whether they like it or not now that OnePlus is pushing 11 regardless of user settings.

It seems that the global 11 ROM will not boot on the Metro N100 as the earlier global 10 did. As far as I know, there is no way to go back to 10 from 11 with a Metro phone either.

I should also mention that the person who posted the TWRP hasn't been back since. I messaged that person and never got a response. I wish we could find someone who could get TWRP running if for no other reason than to just install the zip and get root.

It's a shame this forum is so dead. I think it's because most of the N100s that got into the wild are T-Mobile/MetroPCS phones. Those owners had to wait 6 months to get the SIM unlocked before they could work towards unlocking the bootloader. That's left development pretty much on hold for over half a year.

Again thanks for all the help and if you happen to come up with a way to gain temp root on 11 please post it, I'm sure many of us would be very grateful.

i think once you get root you can actually disable software updates so you wont have to worry about that too much

i swear someone around xda posted a stock metro 10.5.8 rom but i forgot where it went, maybe if you search you can try downgrading to that

so your twrp build cant backup boot partitions into image format?

well that and for metro owners its a huge pain in the ass to even get the bootloader unlock key. once i got mine i went to work looking for a way to root it. i wouldnt give up hope, as long as you fastboot boot your experiments your phone wont brick

i wont be updating to 11 but hope that someone who did and can get root can write their instructions here or a new thread

bouyakasha

Jan 23, 2008
I've confirmed with the N100, after you've MSM'd to 10.5.8, you can choose to not update to 11 (it will not force it) as long as you:
- Turn off automatic updates in Developer Options
- Do not click on this, and just leave it in notifications perpetually:
1634236865130.png

I've tested this over 24hrs, with the phone restarting every 30 minutes connected to network. Rooted.

If you do click that notification and do the process, it will auto-update to 11, regardless of developer options setting.

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
I've confirmed with the N100, after you've MSM'd to 10.5.8, you can choose to not update to 11 (it will not force it) as long as you:
- Turn off automatic updates in Developer Options
- Do not click on this, and just leave it in notifications perpetually:
View attachment 5433175

I've tested this over 24hrs, with the phone restarting every 30 minutes connected to network. Rooted.

If you do click that notification and do the process, it will auto-update to 11, regardless of developer options setting.

I have a few questions...

Were you running 11 and somehow got back to 10.5.8?

If so how? Please explain how you get back to 10 once you're on 11 with a Metro N100.

I really would like to go back to 10 and root my Metro N100.

I'm happy your phone hasn't auto-updated. By the way, when you say connected to the "network" do you mean cell or WIFI? My two Metro N100 didn't auto-update right away, but eventually, they both did it all on their own.

I should add that I had the automatic updates in Developer Options turned off and I never clicked that notification either.

Lastly, both of my phones are on WIFI which I think is when OnePlus pushes the 11 update whether you want it or not, I think being on 4G will prevent the update from being downloaded.

In any case, thank you for the much-needed info.

onlycash

Nov 23, 2006
I can follow up and say I was wrong in my previous post. It still force-updated to 11.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I had the feeling it was inevitable but I was holding out hope that there was a way to stop the updates.

I'm thinking of flashing a third-party ROM and rooting that and never updating after that if it's possible. I have no need to chase updates.

If you're using a Metro phone please let me know what solution you come up with for your phone.

Reactions: bouyakasha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're right about the flash, my mistake. Sigh.
    Versions need to be exactly the same anytime you're rooting with a boot image.
    This is version I was attempting to root: 11.0.1.BE82CB
    yea if you had booted from a magisk rooted 11.0.1 global boot.img and followed the rest of the steps you wouldve been ok because as soon as you reboot you lose root and boot from your original boot partition again

the number 1 rule of rooting with fastboot is always boot from it and test it before flashing it. other users were warning about wifi/cell failures so i played it safe and am still fine
    I just tried this method with N200. 11.0.2.0 is the latest good rooted boot.img I have, but 11.0.3.0 is latest update and there's no MSM.

Anyway booting to 11.0.3.0 using the 11.0.2.0 rooted boot.img works great! Still, I tried this method and when I extract the BootA and BootB partitions and try to flash them with Magisk, Magisk tells me it's an unsupported file. This is true when I try it as tar.gz (that's how it comes from Partitions Backup) and if I rename it to *.img - either way I can't get Magisk to want to flash it. Any ideas?

In the meantime, using the 11.0.2.0 rooted boot image seems to work fine with 11.0.3.0. So, maybe I can just go with it?

Anyway this is an awesome guide and I learned a lot from it. HUGE THANK YOU.
    I've tested this method on BE2012 / 11.0.1.BE82CB and unfortunately the global rom's boot.img bricks the device - it won't get past the T-Mobile loading screen.

I'm going to try to restore via MSM and try it with 10.5.8.BE82CB now.
    youre not supposed to flash the global rom boot.img but boot from it, thats why it relies on a temp root. and the versions have to be exactly the same or you'll brick the device

what version was your old device on? good luck unbricking it though, hope you get another shot at it
    I just tried this method with N200. 11.0.2.0 is the latest good rooted boot.img I have, but 11.0.3.0 is latest update and there's no MSM.

Anyway booting to 11.0.3.0 using the 11.0.2.0 rooted boot.img works great! Still, I tried this method and when I extract the BootA and BootB partitions and try to flash them with Magisk, Magisk tells me it's an unsupported file. This is true when I try it as tar.gz (that's how it comes from Partitions Backup) and if I rename it to *.img - either way I can't get Magisk to want to flash it. Any ideas?

In the meantime, using the 11.0.2.0 rooted boot image seems to work fine with 11.0.3.0. So, maybe I can just go with it?

Anyway this is an awesome guide and I learned a lot from it. HUGE THANK YOU.
    partitions backup compresses the dump so you cant just simply rename it. think theres an option to dump it uncompressed so you can pass it on to magisk. the other way is to untar it then pass it to magisk

i'd just experiment a bit more as long as you remember to use fastboot boot until you get the config you want then you can flash it
    partitions backup compresses the dump so you cant just simply rename it. think theres an option to dump it uncompressed so you can pass it on to magisk. the other way is to untar it then pass it to magisk

i'd just experiment a bit more as long as you remember to use fastboot boot until you get the config you want then you can flash it
    Oh, thank you! That makes sense. I will try to UN-Tar it :)