[Root][APP]TowelPieRoot v1.2 10/5/2014

Search This thread
Jun 1, 2012
Xposed Working!

I guess the error in Xposed happens because TowelPieRoot doesn't start before Xposed requests root. Anyways, if you install/update Xposed, then soft reboot, everything seems to work fine. Doing a full reboot (or shutdown) will cause Xposed to be uninstalled, but reinstalling and soft rebooting will restore everything.

Reactions: Markmaster

iKrYpToNiTe

Sep 16, 2012
Sanford, NC
This might be a bit off topic, but this is the error I'm getting with xposed. As usual, XT 1049 4.4.2.

I guess the error in Xposed happens because TowelPieRoot doesn't start before Xposed requests root. Anyways, if you install/update Xposed, then soft reboot, everything seems to work fine. Doing a full reboot (or shutdown) will cause Xposed to be uninstalled, but reinstalling and soft rebooting will restore everything.

All that error is telling you is that you previously had Xposed's app_process installed but now it isn't and Xposed didn't uninstall it. This is normal since you're write protected because it gets removed on a reboot, so Xposed is just warning you hey I didn't uninstall it but something did. I get the error all the time while I'm testing trying to get Xposed to work for everybody.

Reactions: FirePsych

iomthd

Apr 23, 2008
Thanks for this, I was able to root and take care of some residual files in my /data folder. Very cool.

badshah.mb

Jul 29, 2012
plz confirm if i can use towelpieroot on my device, and will it have any negative incedents like bricking the phone or bootloop etc ????

Ksehwail

Apr 7, 2009
Can you elaborate??

I was able to root on stock 4.4.3 unlocked T-Mobile version. Never rooted before in this phone.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Free mobile app

I am also with T-Mobile I have Moto XT1053 4.4.3.... I tried using towel pie root and it says successful. After doing so I am able to use any app requiring root, also I can use terminal emulator and enter su. However, I lose root when the phone is reset, I have looked and tried different methods but am unable to root perminatly.. Do not want to unlock BL until my warranty is up. Can anybody let me know if there is a way to keep root in my situation

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I am also with T-Mobile I have Moto XT1053 4.4.3.... I tried using towel pie root and it says successful. After doing so I am able to use any app requiring root, also I can use terminal emulator and enter su. However, I lose root when the phone is reset, I have looked and tried different methods but am unable to root perminatly.. Do not want to unlock BL until my warranty is up. Can anybody let me know if there is a way to keep root in my situation

The ONLY option for what you want is to unlock. Period.

Reactions: fakieskr8333

beelbeel

Dec 28, 2010
Hi iKrYpToNiTe, do you still plan on updating this with a fix for people that are having xposed issues, or is that no longer the plan not that there is a potential bootloader unlock?

Either way, thanks.

Reactions: Baconberries

oquinones

Jul 31, 2010
Orlando

No this root method is a temp root. There is an option in the app to root during boot up but I could never get that to work. I just manually run it whenever I need to reboot.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Free mobile app

Markmaster

May 2, 2011

It's all because the Moto's file system is write protected. This is temp root (like tethered jailbreak for the iPhone).

iKrYpToNiTe

Sep 16, 2012
Sanford, NC
Hi iKrYpToNiTe, do you still plan on updating this with a fix for people that are having xposed issues, or is that no longer the plan not that there is a potential bootloader unlock?

Either way, thanks.

I'm close to releasing an update, just ironing out some bugs that keep appearing with my testers. The update to get xposed working is very finicky and was very unstable in the beginning, but I was able to get it fairly stable now.

Also Moto G support is coming in the update, I've had two different Moto G models confirm it so far.

beelbeel

Dec 28, 2010
I'm close to releasing an update, just ironing out some bugs that keep appearing with my testers. The update to get xposed working is very finicky and was very unstable in the beginning, but I was able to get it fairly stable now.

Also Moto G support is coming in the update, I've had two different Moto G models confirm it so far.

Awesome! Thanks for all of the effort.

badshah.mb

Jul 29, 2012

hi

can u release update for other devices running 4.4.2?
even if it will be temp root, its ok .... but need root .....

rgds

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** DISCLAIMER ***
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS UP YOUR PHONE! OR IF YOU LOSE ANY DATA, ITS CALLED BACK IT UP BEFORE HAND!

Towel Pie Root is a one click untethered app to root the Moto X, Moto G and the Droid Series(maybe others but these for sure) running 4.4.3 and below. It does NOT and WILL NOT root 4.4.4 so stop asking about it!

I want to started off by Thanking Geohot for Towelroot and JCase for Pie root, without them this wouldn't have been possible and I take NO credit for their exploits. If either of them doesn't want this posted they may contact me and I will gladly remove it.

Towel Pie Root combines Towelroot's futex exploit with a modified version of Pie root's xbin.img mount into one app. To achieve a one click untethered root for write protected devices! This DOES NOT remove write protection, and is still technically a temp root, I did include the option to enable root on boot. Which will re-root your device every time you reboot your phone, it also includes the option to perform a full reboot, or a soft reboot from within the app.

Here is a more technical description of what my app does. It includes TR's libexploit.so(aka the native exploit by Geohot) which I use to gain root privileges. Once it has root privileges it then echo's the file path to my modified Pie root file to uevent_helper. It then causes a hotplug event to trigger the kernel to execute the file path just echoed to uevent_helper. My modified Pie root files, kill TR's daemonsu and mounts Pie root's xbin.img over /system/xbin. Then it copies the newer version of SuperSU's su binary and executes the new daemonsu daemon and viola root :D

If you enjoyed my app, please donate to Geohot at https://towelroot.com/, and JCase at jcase@cunninglogic.com! I do not want any donations, I set out to develop this app purely as a challenge to broaden my development skills not to get a donation.

Installation Instructions: You need to have unknown sources checked in Settings>>Security, and if you have Towelroot installed uninstall it. In order to use TR's exploit I had to name the app's package name to the same name as TR's package name, so you will have to uninstall TR to install my app. Also if you are currently rooted with Pie root please reboot before running my app, to clear Pie's su daemon, and to unmount Pie's xbin.img. Then just click Make it ra1n on Moto, and wait for it to say Root Acheived Enjoy! If you encounter any issues please uninstall v1.0 then re-install v1.1.

Download link:
    Version 1.2 for 4.4.2 devices
    Version 1.2 for 4.4.3 devices

Version 1.1

Version 1.0

Known Issues: If after running it says Failed to Achieve Root, close the app and clear it from most recent's then reopen the app.

Screen Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6fXs3VJQHg (I will try to update this video with the full installation steps)

Changelog
    -v1.2 10/5/2014
    ---Created a new bin.img from the tmo 4.4.3 sbf to fix the wifi issues
    ---Changed the modstring for the XT1032 hopefully it works now if it doesn't then there isn't anything else I can do
    ---Redid the device check to not allow unsupported devices to run the app

-v1.1 9/22/2014
    ---Added Moto G support, if I missed a model number let me know
    ---Fixed the issue with Xposed not working by mounting a bin.img over /system/bin
    ---Added in the ability to Uninstall the app and all files
    ---Added in various checks and prompts

Additional Thanks:
    Verttex(Dier325) - for being my main tester and testing the numerous test apk's I sent him
    jpond83 - for testing
    mohlsen8 - for testing on the Moto G
    NipplesOfTheFuture - for testing, some workflow ideas, and for convincing me to try and get the bin.img method working correctly

Either way, thanks.

Welcome. I feel you deserve one last clarification, however.

In my previous post, I suggested that the futex flaw has been patched in 4.4.4 --- this is NOT the case for all Android Devices.

Based on all the information I currently have available, it IS the case for the Moto X (at least the variants who have RECENTLY received 4.4.4). I haven't confirmed this though, so certain variants of the X that received an early update to 4.4.4 may still be vulnerable.

Its the Kernel Build Date (or more accurately, the date of the source code used to build said Kernel) that determines whether or not a particular device is vulnerable to the exploit. As a rule of thumb, you can bet that if Towel Root (or TPR) does NOT work on a particular device, then the flaw has been patched in said device's Kernel (TR exploits the futex vulnerability).

I hope that all makes sense. My intention is not to scare anyone - most need not worry. I just wanted you to understand that simply having a SuperUser APP (such as SuperSU) does not fully protect you....although it DOES help guard against legitimate root apps gaining superuser privileges without your consent. It wouldn't, however, protect you against a mischievous app that exploits one of the vulnerabilities.

Any time a new exploit is released, most users are super-happy, because they are able to gain root, and most don't consider that the same vulnerability being exploited can be used to do any number of nasty things, if you don't take proper precautions.

Of course, you should be completely safe, so long as you don't install any app with a poor (or unknown) reputation.

And lastly, I almost -guarantee- that you WILL lose root, permanently, once you update to 4.4.4.

Nicely said! One thing to add the kernel source dropped a couple days ago, and according to the source the futex vuln wasn't patched. But trying to run TR on the 4.4.4 update will not work, I'm guessing Moto didn't release the latest source or their blocking it via the system in some way.

Another thing, for people wanting to use xposed. I'm working on a couple avenues to get it working for y'all, I was just able to successfully mount an entire system.img over the /system ;)
    I'm not going to ask that this is removed, as it doesn't contain any of my work that I consider important at all.

You really need to consider however GeoHot here. He went to great lengths to protect TowelRoot from copytheft, and included much analytics. This apk uses an exact copy of his exploit (the library), and is probably screwing his analytics to heck and back right now. He uses these analystics to determine what is or isnt working. You probably should reach out to him.

Outside of the inclusion of GeoHot's library, nice work. You can probably get around using the same package name as TR by just naming some classes with the package name (ie have com.whatever.whatever as the main package, then include an additional one with the class using the library).

*** DISCLAIMER ***
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS UP YOUR PHONE! OR IF YOU LOSE ANY DATA, ITS CALLED BACK IT UP BEFORE HAND!

Towel Pie Root is a one click untethered app to root the Moto X and Droid Maxx(maybe others but these for sure) running 4.4.2 and below.

I want to started off by Thanking Geohot for Towelroot and JCase for Pie root, without them this wouldn't have been possible and I take NO credit for their exploits. If either of them doesn't want this posted they may contact me and I will gladly remove it.

Towel Pie Root combines Towelroot's futex exploit with a modified version of Pie root's xbin.img mount into one app. To achieve a one click untethered root for write protected devices! This DOES NOT remove write protection, and is still technically a temp root, I did include the option to enable root on boot. Which will re-root your device every time you reboot your phone, it also includes the option to perform a full reboot, or a soft reboot from within the app.

Here is a more technical description of what my app does. It includes TR's libexploit.so(aka the native exploit by Geohot) which I use to gain root privileges. Once it has root privileges it then echo's the file path to my modified Pie root file to uevent_helper. It then causes a hotplug event to trigger the kernel to execute the file path just echoed to uevent_helper. My modified Pie root files, kill TR's daemonsu and mounts Pie root's xbin.img over /system/xbin. Then it copies the newer version of SuperSU's su binary and executes the new daemonsu daemon and viola root :D

If you enjoyed my app, please donate to Geohot at https://towelroot.com/, and JCase at jcase@cunninglogic.com! I do not want any donations, I set out to develop this app purely as a challenge to broaden my development skills not to get a donation.

Installation Instructions: You need to have unknown sources checked in Settings>>Security, and if you have Towelroot installed uninstall it. In order to use TR's exploit I had to name the app's package name to the same name as TR's package name, so you will have to uninstall TR to install my app. Also if you are currently rooted with Pie root please reboot before running my app, to clear Pie's su daemon, and to unmount Pie's xbin.img. Then just click Make it ra!n on Moto, and wait for it to say Root Acheived Enjoy!

Download link: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23578570567716728

Screen Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6fXs3VJQHg
    Its actually a combination of both and the OP already stated that it doesn't work on moto g with 4.4.3. Another member bootlooped his moto g using this.

This is really clever kryptonite especially rerooting on boot up. I'm unlocked from China but my buddy has been stuck on 4.4 waiting for root. I'm going to let him know about this so he at least can get to 4.4.2.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

If he's on 4.4 he can disable write protection with MotoWpNoMo and then install Safestrap and either my Krypton Rom or my stock 4.4.2 I have on rootzwiki. As soon as I get a hold of the 4.4.4 update I will throw together a stock version for Safestrap and Unlocked, shoot my X is still running the factory shipped 4.2.2 bootloader even though I unlocked ;)