[ROOT] AT&T S6 (g920a/g925a) 5.1.1 - Tethered Root v4

Considering the root method, are you interested?

• Yes

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

vivaperon

Aug 31, 2019
Hola a todos, quiero agradecer al creador de este post porque con su ayuda pude rotaer mi telefono Samsung S6, g920a AT&T, android 5.1.1, numero de compilacion g920aucu3boj7, banda base g920aucu3bo12 y lo mas importante funciona a la PERFECCION.-
Para aquellos que tienen problema le dejo el metodo que utilice:
1.- genere un archivo tar con el boot que se encuentra en el archivo "g920a-5.1.1-root_metalcated-v4" y con el syst que se encuentra en el archivo "AP_G920AUCU3BOJ7+G920A_Kernel_Root_5.1.1".-
2.-cargan ese archivo en Odin en AP y le dan a start.-
3.- cuando el telefono se reinicia inmediatamente hacer corren en CMD el comando "root-install" .-
4.- al reiniciarse el telefono se cargo la aplicacion "superSU" y aqui viene lo mas IMPORTANTE.-
5.- al darle click a superSU les va aparecer un mensaje de error diciendo que el telefono no esta roteado porque no se cargo un binario, pero aca viene lo mas IMPORTANTE para que el telefono termine de rotearse: CUANDO APARECE ESE MENSAJE CIERRAN LA APLICACION E INMEDIATAMENTE LE DAN SEGUIDAMENTE VARIOS CLICK SIN PARAR Y A LOS SEGUNDOS SON USUARIOS ROOT.-
Espero que les sirva de ayuda y muchas gracias por ayudarme a rotear mi telefono.-

Your method I have a question

Hi I have done something similar but rooted with kingroot 4.8.2. My question is with the method you have to install SuperSU after flashing a custom ROM will you still have run your root-install.cmd to make the phone boot?

My phone was originally android 6.0.1 with n920a 4pb2 I think the last 4 digits.

Thank You for your information

Attachments

• IMG_20200605_162521.jpg
    IMG_20200605_162521.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20200605_161704.jpg
    IMG_20200605_161704.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20200605_161839.jpg
    IMG_20200605_161839.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200605_165821.jpg
    IMG_20200605_165821.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 43
Answering your question

Its not necessary to run a root install command to make the rom boot up. The rom that i modified and flashed boots up and powers off like a normal phone. What I have done was copy and paste/overwrite the original rom build prop by putting the build prop from the combo bootloader into the rom which keeps it at permissive so it can be easily rooted again with kinguser after flashing the rom. Then you can easily change kinguser to supersu again using the terminal emulator method.

The other important ant things I had to put in the build prop was set factory binary to 0 and save. Also change ro.securesupport=true in had to change it to false and save.

I have done a lot of modifications to the original noble zero rom posted on XDA to make it work over the N920A 4APL1 Combination bootloader. To answer your question I am just talking about the build prop hack method I have used. I have done the modifications using root browser classic app it's great and easy to use. To also make a rom boot up you must add libs from the combination firmware that are not in the rom to the rom that you want to boot up.

I see you have only rooted with king root but what you must do is change it to supersu root using the terminal emulator method. The reason you need to do this is because the flashing tool for flashing roms etc is flashfire app and flashfire will only works with supersu root and not kinguser. Here is a short YouTube video with all the file links in the description necessary for Rooting N920A 6.0.1 along with the Rooting procedure and the link for the modified rom I successfully installed and booted up https://youtu.be/J6GXvtxq2aA

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have successfully rooted 5.1.1 but with a snag, since we cannot unlock the bootloader and flash an unsigned kernel I am unable to completely and fully have a painless root process available. However... the process that I did work on does work it just requires that each reboot you have to manually set selinux to permissive via adb in order to get your phone to boot. So I am opening this thread to ask considering the method.

Make sure you read this post fully!

Builds currently confirmed working:
    Code:
    OJ7
    OJ9
    Important: Once you flash OJ7 or any part of it, you will no longer be able to flash back to a previous build, this includes the files needed to root.

As mentioned above, this method is simple but has a caveat, once you root your phone you'll need a script or run a command each time you reboot or turn on your phone. This can be a pain if your phone battery dies while on the Go or if your phone randomly reboots and you do not have a laptop or desktop on hand or nearby. So know what you are getting into before you perform this root method. With that said, onto the goods...

This is a Combined root method from SamFirm and myself. I also need to give credit to those who provided me with some of the files that got this whole thing started and those who continue on this effort:
    @shichemt
    @Apexseal
    @elesbb
    @designgears
    Thanks!

Prerequisites:
    1. Samsung Drivers
    2. Developer mode turned on
    First, reboot your phone into Download Mode:
    Power off your phone or reboot, hold Vol+Down, Power and Home

Once you are in download mode, load up Odin (Odin3 v3.10.7.exe) and do the following:

In the 'images' directory, you will have 1 file->

1. G{920,925}A_Kernel_Root_5.1.1_SamFirm.NET.tar.md5 (Place in the AP slot)
    Once you have the file added into Odin, press start and wait until the phone boots up completely. (Again, make sure Developer Mode is on!)
    Next pretty simple, run the root-Install.sh (linux) or root-Install.cmd (windows).
    Follow the prompts and enjoy root on your SM-G{920,925}A!

Secondly, you will always from here on out need to use the root-Boot.sh (linux) or root-boot.cmd (windows) to boot your phone up. Without it... you'll be stuck in a boot loop with Selinux Enforced. This script will make your phone boot as Selinux Permissive.

Here are the steps for OJ9:

Using the same steps as above to Flash the downgraded system partition and once the phone is fully booted up, make sure Developer mode is on and then run the root-Install.{cmd,sh} script. I have provided a separate download link for this as well, so again if you are on OJ9, you need to flash the separate package specific to your build.

Process Order::
    1. AP_G920AUCU3BOJ7+G{920,925}A_Kernel_Root_5.1.1.tar (Place in the AP slot)
    2. Run root-Install.{cmd,sh} from g{920,925}a-5.1.1-root~metalcated-v{4,1}.zip
    BE AWARE, I cannot guarantee the safety of your data, BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP! - but this should work without wiping your data.

Another Important Note: The Samsung drivers for Windows have issues with this process or maybe its just Windows being Windows! - I have found out that if you get stuck and adb is not responding after the root process is complete and you are either stuck at the AT&T screen or have a black screen waiting for adb to come back up, remove the driver (shown in the screenshot and then scan for hardware changes. This will refresh the driver and force adb to respond again.

Downloads

G920A
    Root Files:
    g920a-5.1.1-root~metalcated-v4.zip
    OJ9 - AP_G920AUCU3BOJ7+G920A_Kernel_Root_5.1.1.tar

Pre-Rooted FlashFire System Images:
    g920a-5.1.1-rooted-debloated~metalcated.zip

OJ7 User Binary - Restore:
    G920AUCU3BOJ7_User_Binary.rar

G925A
    Root Files:
    g925a-5.1.1-root~metalcated-v1.zip
    OJ9 - AP_G925AUCU3BOJ7+G925A_Kernel_Root_5.1.1.tar.zip

Pre-Rooted FlashFire System Images:
    I don't yet have a debloated image for the g925a

OJ7 User Binary - Restore:
    G925AUCU3BOJ7_User_Binary.zip

To use the Pre-Rooted FlashFire image, extract the zip to your sdcard into the Flashfire directory and then perform a restore with FlashFire.

Beware, you are flashing these files at your own risk. Don't come yelling at me if it messes anything up! :) Make backups of you data before flashing anything, you have been warned!

This process can be painful to get working, but if all you want is a debloated ROM, root your phone then install Flashfire and flash the system image posted above and you will have your deboated ROM. You can then remove root using the SuperSU app and your phone will boot cleanly from here on out with no bloat. Of course its up to you what you want to do. ;) - I know one of the testers said this is what he was going to do.

Anyone can use these files to make a better process if its one so desires, all I ask is that you provide credit for the source like I have done above in this post as to where I obtained these files to assist me in getting this process working. If you want to help, please PM me and we can chat about making this process better.

I am still working towards a hack to try and force selinux to be permissive at kernel load without having an unlocked BL, not sure if it will work, but I am trying to make it so. Will keep you all posted on progress.

Install Xposed? Confirmed working! http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/unofficial-xposed-samsung-lollipop-t3180960

Enjoy!
    ~metalcated
    Does it trip Knox or any of that mumbo jumbo? If we test it how do we go back if we don't want to reroot every time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

See attached image.
    This would work but init.d requires a custom kernel. The kernel is what actually runs the scripts for init.d. Without a custom kernel, init.d will never run.
    ~snip~

You could do what I did with root de la vega and high jack a script that is run by the kernel as root.

Does anyone have a dump of the initramfs? I can see if I can find something that might work.

Windows 7? Or Windows XP????

Also @metalcated, I'll be on irc tonight at 5ish EST. I think I found a solution. I hope this works! If it doesn't, then I know another option to do, but that will require me doing some C coding. But either way, after looking at the decompiled kernel, I feel fairly confident on getting this working.
    Yeah from that file. ;)
    I generated a tar file (using 7zip) using boot.img (from G920A_Kernel_Root_5.1.1_SamFirm.NET.tar.md5) and system.img (from OJ7), then flash it in the AP slot. After that ran root-Install.cmd to root and root-Boot.cmd to boot. It worked! Thanks. Hope this experience would help more people.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone