• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROOT][BN1.2-FROYO] MiniRooterV2 for Stock Froyo 1.2 + Stock/OC Kernel

Search This thread

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
CREDITS TO GabrialDestruir,et al (MN 4.5.6) & Dalingrin (OC kernel)

* All warnings implied and applies.. your Nookie might turn into a Cookie... so use at your own risk! :eek:
* I'm NOT a DEV nor is this something special, so get over it

This CWR flashable kernel is ONLY for STOCK Barnes and Noble's Froyo 1.2 update. MiniRooter V2 is based upon GabrialDestruir's MN 4.5.6 & Dalingrin OC kernel for stock Froyo 1.2 release 5/13.

Why should I jump on this bandwagon?? :confused:
  • MiniRooter will make you 35% happier... j/k it might make you sadder. Ok, maybe not, but it will save you some headaches. It was made for my own selfish use, but I decided it was time to share. :rolleyes:
  • It is NOT for people who wants FULL Android tablet functionality! Go install CM7, Nookie Froyo, or use the ManualRooter.
  • The purpose of Mini Rooter is to allow stock BN 1.2 users access to SU, overclock, install third party apps (sideload), and install apps from Amazon app market. It is intended to mainly add and NOT modify any essential NOOK files, thus keeping the BN Nook experience as functional as possible for its intended purpose. However, you can really make it bi-polar and install other stuff too if you want. For a GREAT & free exchange email client w/calendar, find MoxierMail from the Amazon appstore. It is awesome.
  • The main reason for not modding file systems and installing the google market is to avoid problems I ran into with the MN 4.5.6 install, ie. touch page flips of children's book, BN store not working on purchases, instore access, and other headaches.
  • NO install issues with Angry Birds from the Amazon app store. When installing, choose "Package Installer" :p
  • Essentially, this mod is for newbies and/or tree-hugging hippies and minimalists with a lust for power and a thirst for frozen lemonade. :p mmm.. frozen lemonade.

What it does?
* Installs SU & busybox (rooting)
* Replaces stock kernel with Dalingrin's OC Kernel (up to 1.2ghz!!)
* Installs these apps:
  • adbwireless
  • Amazon Appstore
  • Button Savior
  • Calculator
  • SetCPU - you should donate (its also on the android market)
  • TouchRecalibrate
  • Zeam
  • Nook Color Tools - change settings, install 3rd party apps
  • Rom Manager - CWR & backups
  • Youtube - for learning how to dougie

Pick a Flavor:
MiniRooterV2-BN1.2-OC
MiniRooterV2-BN1.2-OC-dualboot
*Added 5/17
Flash these files after the previous if your girlfriend/sister/wife keeps nagging you this Nook Color is too fast, and you want to put an end to that.
Stock Kernel - BN 1.2 - Froyo
Stock Kernel - BN 1.2 - Froyo - Dual Boot
* These should work for other practical applications as well, so feel free to snag them just in case.

Devs - please let me know if you wish me to remove any/all of your work that have been included in this release. Thank you for your hard work and dedication, which inspires me to learn and contribute to this community.
Mods - if this is not acceptable, please move it/delete/or throw a fit.

FAQ:

Unfortunately, I am having 2 issues. One is getting apps from the Amazon App store to install. I keep getting told that the system will only install apps from the Andoid app store, even though the settings are correct. The second issue is with button savior. the back button is not working in the applications section of the settings...

1. Go into Nook Color Utils - uncheck and then recheck "Allow Non-Market Apps"
2. Button Savior needs Super User permission, so make sure you press "Allow" when the pirate greets you.. in some cases it will not work since the stock BN codes has set the 'n' button to be "back" in fullscreen apps. In cases where there's a "back" button on the taskbar, that will also take priority from button savior.

Last edited:

MK[PCTF]

Oct 10, 2007
The Hub
Great work! Exactly what I was looking for. Only a few questions:

Do side-loaded apps appear in the APPS menu or do I have to use Zeam to access them?
Is it possible to replace Dalingrin's kernel with stock afterward?

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
Great work! Exactly what I was looking for. Only a few questions:

Do side-loaded apps appear in the APPS menu or do I have to use Zeam to access them?
Is it possible to replace Dalingrin's kernel with stock afterward?

Use Zeam for sideloaded apps to show, download AppHome if you want to use the 'n' button to default to Zeam and still return to stock Home.

Just flash a stock kernel over it if you don't want to OC... or just not do anything to setCPU.

Btw: GOOOO THUNNDDERRR!!! Wooohoo... Durantula!!!

Last edited:
Question

Sorry if this is a noob question, but how do I boot from this? I just got a replacement Nook Color that came pre-loaded with 1.2 and I can't seem to nooter it for the life of me!! I've downloaded this and copied it to an SD card, but it doesn't boot. I can't get it to boot from a Clockwork Recovery SD card either. Any help would be appreciated!!:confused:

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
More than happy to be corrected, but isn't SetCPU a paid app?

SetCPU is here... yes, you should donate or buy it if you wish. Thanks for pointing this out. I added the link to SetCPU from XDA. I might remove this if it becomes an issue and include No-Frill or something.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but how do I boot from this? I just got a replacement Nook Color that came pre-loaded with 1.2 and I can't seem to nooter it for the life of me!! I've downloaded this and copied it to an SD card, but it doesn't boot. I can't get it to boot from a Clockwork Recovery SD card either. Any help would be appreciated!!:confused:

:confused: First of all, you have to be able to get into Clockword Recovery. If you can boot into CWR from and SD card, all you have to do is choose "install from zip", choose the file from the OP, yes, and flash it. That should do the trick. It's not a "bootable" file by any means. If you still have problems, keep reading and try different methods. It's hard to give you advice since I don't know your level of knowledge.

Last edited:

GadgetFreak

Jan 27, 2008
Waco
Unfortunately, I am having 2 issues. One is getting apps from the Amazon App store to install. I keep getting told that the system will only install apps from the Andoid app store, even though the settings are correct. The second issue is with button savior. the back button is not working in the applications section of the settings...

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC

2. Button Savior needs Super User permission.. in some cases it will not work since the stock BN codes has set the 'n' button to be "back" in fullscreen apps. In cases where there's a "back" button on the taskbar, that will also take priority from button savior.

Reactions: GadgetFreak

GadgetFreak

Jan 27, 2008
Waco
2. Button Savior needs Super User permission.. in some cases it will not work since the stock BN codes has set the 'n' button to be "back" in fullscreen apps. In cases where there's a "back" button on the taskbar, that will also take priority from button savior.

That did it! Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how to dual boot this...

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
That did it! Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how to dual boot this...

Glad to hear that..:) Dual booting is kind of hairy, so make sure you do a lot of reading and do a nandroid backup before plunging in.

I have the stock BN 1.2 minirooted on the dual boot of the emmc. Primary partition has been back and forth between cm7 and nookie froyo.

GadgetFreak

Jan 27, 2008
Waco
Glad to hear that..:) Dual booting is kind of hairy, so make sure you do a lot of reading and do a nandroid backup before plunging in.

I have the stock BN 1.2 minirooted on the dual boot of the emmc. Primary partition has been back and forth between cm7 and nookie froyo.

That's what I was looking to do, but using the phiremod 6.2. Any suggestions?

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010

How about using [ADV][DEV][CWM]Copy Nook Stock to SDcard Image[5/9] thread to move your image to SDcard.

Keep whatever we want in emmc, and boot this from the SDcard.

I currently have phiremod v6.2 in emmc, with Dal's beta 3.1 32 kernel on verygreens SDcard. Going to try installing [UPDATE ZIP] Stock 1.2 update.zip flashable from CWM, your ROM, and then using rack's [ADV][DEV][CWM]Copy Nook Stock to SDcard Image[5/9] thread to move your image to SDcard to move it to another SDcard.

From CWM will do nandroid backup before and will restore after I complete the above procedure. When I boot phiremod v6.2 from emmc, I have a 16GB data/video/music SDcard in my nookcolor.

Last edited:

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
How about using [ADV][DEV][CWM]Copy Nook Stock to SDcard Image[5/9] thread to move your image to SDcard.

Keep whatever we want in emmc, and boot this from the SDcard.

I currently have phiremod v6.2 in emmc, with Dal's beta 3.1 32 kernel on verygreens SDcard. Going to try installing [UPDATE ZIP] Stock 1.2 update.zip flashable from CWM, your ROM, and then using rack's [ADV][DEV][CWM]Copy Nook Stock to SDcard Image[5/9] thread to move your image to SDcard to move it to another SDcard.

From CWM will do nandroid backup before and will restore after I complete the above procedure. When I boot phiremod v6.2 from emmc, I have a 16GB data/video/music SDcard in my nookcolor.

Used emmc CWM to install Stock 1.2 update and this ROM. Did factory reset and then install both from CWM before rebooting. Will setup some before moving to SDcard.

Edit 1: Will report status as I go here.

Last edited:

doncaruana

Jan 17, 2011
[*] The main reason for not modding file systems and installing the google market is to avoid problems I ran into with the MN 4.5.6 install, ie. touch page flips of children's book, BN store not working on purchases, instore access, and other headaches.

For the record, a fix for the kids books was posted last week (it's in the OP for MN) and the other things still work with MN 4.5.6 for most people (I have two with none of those issues). Nice work though!

You might want to update the versions though. SetCPU is at 2.13. And Zeam is up to 2.9.5 (looks like this is 2.9.2)

It's free for XDA members so you don't have an issue there, but let your conscience be your guide to donation.

This is quite concerning actually because there was a report of another recent Nook that would not boot from SD. They "determined" that was a faulty Nook, but your situation worries me. Please keep us posted on this one.

Last edited:

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA

Zephyr - What are the first six digits of your Nook's S/N? Something like 201146....?

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
For the record, a fix for the kids books was posted last week (it's in the OP for MN) and the other things still work with MN 4.5.6 for most people (I have two with none of those issues). Nice work though! ...

If I wanted couple of the gapps, say gmail and google voice could I just use my side loaded Titanium Backup to restore them from my CM7 data disk that contains them?

In MN what gapps are they using? Could I add them here later if I wanted to? I guess that defeats the purpose of this ROM.

Is there an alternative to gmail that anyone would recommend? I use google voice in CM7 for texting, how about an alternative for google voice?

For the record, a fix for the kids books was posted last week (it's in the OP for MN) and the other things still work with MN 4.5.6 for most people (I have two with none of those issues). Nice work though!

You might want to update the versions though. SetCPU is at 2.13. And Zeam is up to 2.9.5 (looks like this is 2.9.2)

It's free for XDA members so you don't have an issue there, but let your conscience be your guide to donation.

This is quite concerning actually because there was a report of another recent Nook that would not boot from SD. They "determined" that was a faulty Nook, but your situation worries me. Please keep us posted on this one.
I don't have my NC with me (at work right now) to verify the S/N, but I was able to root my previous NC (very seasoned with rooting many other android devices) with no problems. I'm beginning to think that I may have a "faulty" one, but I don't know how I can get it swapped again within the warranty. I did notice ONE dead pixel, but I doubt they'll swap it out for that! This thing is virtually useless to me without being able to root it!!!

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
If I wanted couple of the gapps, say gmail and google voice could I just use my side loaded Titanium Backup to restore them from my CM7 data disk that contains them?

In MN what gapps are they using? Could I add them here later if I wanted to? I guess that defeats the purpose of this ROM.

Is there an alternative to gmail that anyone would recommend? I use google voice in CM7 for texting, how about an alternative for google voice?

You could try installing gapps and google voice and see if it works. It might not without modifying system files, and that's something this release tries to avoid. You don't need an alternative to gmail since the included BN email app is a multi-email client (gmail, yahoo, etc) but doesn't include exchange (Moxier Mail is a great alternative).

Can install Keyboards automatically or will I work the same as 4.5.6?
:confused: what??

That's nice.. I only had to format/reinstall 23523434x to find out after MN, the BN store doesn't even load, give me these weird errors and check barnesandnoble.com blah blah. I then became a hippy and did it my way. And sometimes, less is more... even in version numbers of apps (which doesn't add anything to the functionality except a new version number). :rolleyes:

@ Zephyr757 - hope you didn't get a lemon. I thought you just copied the zip file to the uSD and tried to boot that.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CREDITS TO GabrialDestruir,et al (MN 4.5.6) & Dalingrin (OC kernel)

* All warnings implied and applies.. your Nookie might turn into a Cookie... so use at your own risk! :eek:
    * I'm NOT a DEV nor is this something special, so get over it

This CWR flashable kernel is ONLY for STOCK Barnes and Noble's Froyo 1.2 update. MiniRooter V2 is based upon GabrialDestruir's MN 4.5.6 & Dalingrin OC kernel for stock Froyo 1.2 release 5/13.

Why should I jump on this bandwagon?? :confused:
    • MiniRooter will make you 35% happier... j/k it might make you sadder. Ok, maybe not, but it will save you some headaches. It was made for my own selfish use, but I decided it was time to share. :rolleyes:
    • It is NOT for people who wants FULL Android tablet functionality! Go install CM7, Nookie Froyo, or use the ManualRooter.
    • The purpose of Mini Rooter is to allow stock BN 1.2 users access to SU, overclock, install third party apps (sideload), and install apps from Amazon app market. It is intended to mainly add and NOT modify any essential NOOK files, thus keeping the BN Nook experience as functional as possible for its intended purpose. However, you can really make it bi-polar and install other stuff too if you want. For a GREAT & free exchange email client w/calendar, find MoxierMail from the Amazon appstore. It is awesome.
    • The main reason for not modding file systems and installing the google market is to avoid problems I ran into with the MN 4.5.6 install, ie. touch page flips of children's book, BN store not working on purchases, instore access, and other headaches.
    • NO install issues with Angry Birds from the Amazon app store. When installing, choose "Package Installer" :p
    • Essentially, this mod is for newbies and/or tree-hugging hippies and minimalists with a lust for power and a thirst for frozen lemonade. :p mmm.. frozen lemonade.

What it does?
    * Installs SU & busybox (rooting)
    * Replaces stock kernel with Dalingrin's OC Kernel (up to 1.2ghz!!)
    * Installs these apps:
    • adbwireless
    • Amazon Appstore
    • Button Savior
    • Calculator
    • SetCPU - you should donate (its also on the android market)
    • TouchRecalibrate
    • Zeam
    • Nook Color Tools - change settings, install 3rd party apps
    • Rom Manager - CWR & backups
    • Youtube - for learning how to dougie

Pick a Flavor:
    MiniRooterV2-BN1.2-OC
    MiniRooterV2-BN1.2-OC-dualboot
    *Added 5/17
    Flash these files after the previous if your girlfriend/sister/wife keeps nagging you this Nook Color is too fast, and you want to put an end to that.
    Stock Kernel - BN 1.2 - Froyo
    Stock Kernel - BN 1.2 - Froyo - Dual Boot
    * These should work for other practical applications as well, so feel free to snag them just in case.

Devs - please let me know if you wish me to remove any/all of your work that have been included in this release. Thank you for your hard work and dedication, which inspires me to learn and contribute to this community.
    Mods - if this is not acceptable, please move it/delete/or throw a fit.

FAQ:

2. Button Savior needs Super User permission, so make sure you press "Allow" when the pirate greets you.. in some cases it will not work since the stock BN codes has set the 'n' button to be "back" in fullscreen apps. In cases where there's a "back" button on the taskbar, that will also take priority from button savior.

Flashed 1.2 then mini rooter and all is well.
    However, I cannot mount the file system /system as rw with adb (for pushes etc)
    all the adb commands that used to work (remount, mount rw etc.) give me a permission message. Is there a way through root explorer (which also proclaims the file system as read only)? Since I could adb install all my apps properly, this rw issue is strange.
    Help???

Open Nook Color Tools, Go to settings: development, and enable debugging and see if that works. You might have to do this every time you use adb commands.
    Can anyone confirm which OC Kernel is included with the 1.2OC package? I saw dalingrin released an update. If I wanted to flash the updated kernel what would be the easiest way? SD CWMR with the updated kernel named as update.zip and flash the update?

Reading the OP would have told you the OC kernel is from 5/13. If you're not running dual boot, all you have to do is flash the .zip from SD card in CWR.