• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROOT][BN1.2-FROYO] MiniRooterV2 for Stock Froyo 1.2 + Stock/OC Kernel

Search This thread
I don't have my NC with me (at work right now) to verify the S/N, but I was able to root my previous NC (very seasoned with rooting many other android devices) with no problems. I'm beginning to think that I may have a "faulty" one, but I don't know how I can get it swapped again within the warranty. I did notice ONE dead pixel, but I doubt they'll swap it out for that! This thing is virtually useless to me without being able to root it!!!
Looks like it was a false alarm and it was a bad card/adapter. I tried a different one and was able to boot to it just fine, HOWEVER--there have been changes to the new/refurbished Nook Colors. It looks like the internal partitions have been changed, so I can't get CM7 to install to the EMMC, but I can get root with no problem. I am having an issue with the market not recognizing very many apps for it, but I'm sure there is a simple workaround for that.

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
Looks like it was a false alarm and it was a bad card/adapter. I tried a different one and was able to boot to it just fine, HOWEVER--there have been changes to the new/refurbished Nook Colors. It looks like the internal partitions have been changed, so I can't get CM7 to install to the EMMC, but I can get root with no problem. I am having an issue with the market not recognizing very many apps for it, but I'm sure there is a simple workaround for that.

Which market?

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
I couldn't get the Amazon Market to install any apps with this method, so I used the Manual Nooter and had limited market access. Had to do a workaround to get it work, but it's working fine now, after a complete factory reset.

Did you select "package installer" when you install apps from Amazon market? Every app I've installed from amazon has installed without any issues including all 3 angry birds. There was likely something fishy with your configuration or setting. If you use manual nooter and have limited market, that's normal. There's a step by step guide on how to clear cache and data so you will see all the apps. If you really want a lot of apps without problems, just get cm7 or nookie froyo.

R

readable

Right now when I install a new keyboard from the market, I have to use root explorer and move files to the system app folder. Will I need to do the same thing with miniroot?

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
Right now when I install a new keyboard from the market, I have to use root explorer and move files to the system app folder. Will I need to do the same thing with miniroot?

Yes, you will have to move it to systems and that will never change on the stock.

Battery life is excellent! If you're just running on stock kernel, it should be the same as if it's not rooted at all since no system files are modified. In fact, OCing it won't really affect battery life much, unless you run it constantly on the OC speed of 1.2 using the "performance" profile since most of the time, your clock speed won't go over 900mhz under normal usage.

cavemaneca

Jul 8, 2010
However good it is, and really how much you think it needs to be included, SetCPU should NEVER come in a package. It's nice to have it auto-install and whatnot, but if you read the thread they specifically state they either want you to link to that page or say it's on the market.

While technically this isn't a "ROM", it's still a program package, and I don't think they'd appreciate it auto included.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
I just wanted to point out that installing Gapps doesn't modify the system there are some mods that are made in MN such as modifying the build.prop to try and open market but they are unnecessary, it also seems that the mod for packages.xml is unnecessary too. Meaning the only thing you'd have to do to get Gapps working is add in the Gapps and the right libs/permissions/etc which all get done with MN.

In fact the only system things touched in the latest MN are currently:
  • uRamdisk - Enables permanent ADB Access
  • /system/build.prop - Fingerprint change
  • packages.xml - Attempt to fix signature issue (unnecessary?)
  • downloads.db - Fixes Market "Download Unsuccessful" issues by recreating with a default that isn't null.

The kids books touch issues was resolved with 4.5.18
Ss for BN Store, In Store Acess, etc, there's nothing being changed that would cause these unless BN just happens to be looking at the fingerprint or is looking for ADB access being enabled. Since no one who's had these issues has actually bothered to post any info beyond "It's not working" it's hard to tell where exactly the problem lies and from what I've read actual issues with In Store seems to be a hit and miss thing as it's always been with the NC.

Last edited:

lschroeder

Dec 1, 2010
... Meaning the only thing you'd have to do to get Gapps working is add in the Gapps and the right libs/permissions/etc which all get done with MN ...

Would it be best if we wanted to add Gapps just to flash ManualNooter 4.5.18 over this(wiping cache and dalvek cache? I have already updated my Amazon apps and sideloaded TB, its files from phiremod v6.2, and restored the user apps I wanted.

Last edited:

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
It does seem sort of hit and miss the issues with manual rooter I guess. I had installed MN 4.5.6 on a fresh but registered version of MN to find problems downloading from the market, BN books and apps not installing, and the BN store not loading for some reason. After examining the MN scripts I was not comfortable with its mod of the uramdisk and the build.prop. I found that with the minimum install, I dont have to worry and troubleshoot issues and restore things cause everything just works. I have no dire need for the android market so the buildprop mod isnt necessary or desirable bc of issues I ran into. Ive been following MNs progress and it looks like many of the issues are getting ironed out.

However, im a minimalist and everything works beautifully with minirooter! Thanks to GB's Manual Nooter of course!

As far as Gapps, you can install it directly, restore from titanium backup, or install MN 4.5.18 (just be aware of that it modifies other files to get market to work). Gapps calendar sync is not working so the only thing it would be useful for is the gmail app and android market (which only works with a modified build.prop). The alternative is Moxier Mail which allows corporate mail and calendar sync beautifully.

Minirooter is fullly compatible with MN, so you can flash ManualNooter over this if you wish. Just read the MN thread to know what you're getting into.

I Did It All For The NOOKIE via XDA Premium

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
It does seem sort of hit and miss the issues with manual rooter I guess. I had installed MN 4.5.6 on a fresh but registered version of MN to find problems downloading from the market, BN books and apps not installing, and the BN store not loading for some reason. After examining the MN scripts I was not comfortable with its mod of the uramdisk and the build.prop. I found that with the minimum install, I dont have to worry and troubleshoot issues and restore things cause everything just works. I have no dire need for the android market so the buildprop mod isnt necessary or desirable bc of issues I ran into. Ive been following MNs progress and it looks like many of the issues are getting ironed out.

However, im a minimalist and everything works beautifully with minirooter! Thanks to GB's Manual Nooter of course!

As far as Gapps, you can install it directly, restore from titanium backup, or install MN 4.5.18 (just be aware of that it modifies other files to get market to work). Gapps calendar sync is not working so the only thing it would be useful for is the gmail app and android market (which only works with a modified build.prop). The alternative is Moxier Mail which allows corporate mail and calendar sync beautifully.

Minirooter is fullly compatible with MN, so you can flash ManualNooter over this if you wish. Just read the MN thread to know what you're getting into.

I Did It All For The NOOKIE via XDA Premium
MN doesn't actually HAVE to modify those files to get Gapps to working.

It modifies to uRamdisk to enable ADB Access via USB for people who want it, this is unrelated to market function in any way what so ever. It does this by removing the commands to set ADB based on the property and runs it permanently so that it doesn't get disabled on mounts and unmounts of the storage.

The modification to build.prop isn't necessary at all. Market works just fine without it. It was added to try and get protected apps and such showing for a more fuller Market experience.

Please don't assume that things only work with certain modifications if you haven't tested them yourself, this tends to spread misinformation.

The modification required for market to work properly is to the downloads.db which recreates the table so things don't default as null it then removes all instances of null after it copies the data back into the proper table. This fixes the /cache/downloadnull issue caused by the way the system originally creates the database.

Also on a side note, I went into B&N today to check out In Store, it worked 8 times out of 10 with no issues. All I had to do was reboot when it wasn't working, this makes me believe the issue isn't with MN or any sort of rooting but with the Store Network itself or the way it detects in store. As for the issues with BNs Store and App Installs from their store everytime I've noticed issues they persisted even after I reflashed to stock. This points to server issues not rooting issues.

Last edited:

ganovim

Jan 10, 2011
Flashed 1.2 then mini rooter and all is well.
However, I cannot mount the file system /system as rw with adb (for pushes etc)
all the adb commands that used to work (remount, mount rw etc.) give me a permission message. Is there a way through root explorer (which also proclaims the file system as read only)? Since I could adb install all my apps properly, this rw issue is strange.
Help???

GadgetFreak

Jan 27, 2008
Waco
Has anyone had a problem with Titanium Back Up force closing when you chose the batch option from the menu?

Sent from my NOOKcolor using XDA Premium App

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
MN doesn't actually HAVE to modify those files to get Gapps to working.

Please don't assume that things only work with certain modifications if you haven't tested them yourself, this tends to spread misinformation.

The modification required for market to work properly is to the downloads.db which recreates the table so things don't default as null it then removes all instances of null after it copies the data back into the proper table. This fixes the /cache/downloadnull issue caused by the way the system originally creates the database.

I never said it had to modify files to get gApps to work, just market. I have tested and have installed most gApps, and that's why I can say that calendar sync doesn't seem to work and market doesn't work (if you want to get technical, yes it does launch) without changes to the device's ID key and the workaround with the dB to actually get things to install. I'm not saying these things are bad, but for some users and myself included there were problems, some of which are inexplainable and may be user generated, especially with the MN 4.5.6, which were not there before when it was completely stock. Of course, those problems might be non-existent now.

All that is to say, again I like what you're doing, keep it up. You can have your fancy clothes, I like my nudist colony! :D

Last edited:

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
all the adb commands that used to work (remount, mount rw etc.) give me a permission message. Is there a way through root explorer (which also proclaims the file system as read only)? Since I could adb install all my apps properly, this rw issue is strange.
Help???

Open Nook Color Tools, Go to settings: development, and enable debugging and see if that works. You might have to do this every time you use adb commands.

Reactions: ganovim

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
Great work, and I forgive your Thunder for sending my Grizzlies fishing. Now, if we could only get Rudy Gay back...

Anyways, thanks!

Grizzlies gave us a hell of a run and Randolph is a beast, but I'm glad we get to face and hopefully take down the Mavs... we got 1 away game so coming home will be nice, but I have a feeling this might turn out to be a 7 game series as well.. :rolleyes:

Thunder UP! :D

ganovim

Jan 10, 2011
Thanks for the response, but I cannot write to the file system from root explorer either.
I never had these problems with the rooted 1.1, or any of the CM roms.

Philomorph

Mar 10, 2011
Great mod - one problem

Thanks for the great mod! I was nooted originally on 1.1, but I wanted to go stock 1.2 for a bit to avoid the problems some have. This seems like a great compromise since I mostly use the amazon market anyway.

Here's my problem: The B&N "book" icon on the bottom tray doesn't work anymore to return to your current book. It blinks but nothing happens. I seem to recall seeing something about this in the forums, but I can't find it now.

Any suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CREDITS TO GabrialDestruir,et al (MN 4.5.6) & Dalingrin (OC kernel)

* All warnings implied and applies.. your Nookie might turn into a Cookie... so use at your own risk! :eek:
    * I'm NOT a DEV nor is this something special, so get over it

This CWR flashable kernel is ONLY for STOCK Barnes and Noble's Froyo 1.2 update. MiniRooter V2 is based upon GabrialDestruir's MN 4.5.6 & Dalingrin OC kernel for stock Froyo 1.2 release 5/13.

Why should I jump on this bandwagon?? :confused:
    • MiniRooter will make you 35% happier... j/k it might make you sadder. Ok, maybe not, but it will save you some headaches. It was made for my own selfish use, but I decided it was time to share. :rolleyes:
    • It is NOT for people who wants FULL Android tablet functionality! Go install CM7, Nookie Froyo, or use the ManualRooter.
    • The purpose of Mini Rooter is to allow stock BN 1.2 users access to SU, overclock, install third party apps (sideload), and install apps from Amazon app market. It is intended to mainly add and NOT modify any essential NOOK files, thus keeping the BN Nook experience as functional as possible for its intended purpose. However, you can really make it bi-polar and install other stuff too if you want. For a GREAT & free exchange email client w/calendar, find MoxierMail from the Amazon appstore. It is awesome.
    • The main reason for not modding file systems and installing the google market is to avoid problems I ran into with the MN 4.5.6 install, ie. touch page flips of children's book, BN store not working on purchases, instore access, and other headaches.
    • NO install issues with Angry Birds from the Amazon app store. When installing, choose "Package Installer" :p
    • Essentially, this mod is for newbies and/or tree-hugging hippies and minimalists with a lust for power and a thirst for frozen lemonade. :p mmm.. frozen lemonade.

What it does?
    * Installs SU & busybox (rooting)
    * Replaces stock kernel with Dalingrin's OC Kernel (up to 1.2ghz!!)
    * Installs these apps:
    • adbwireless
    • Amazon Appstore
    • Button Savior
    • Calculator
    • SetCPU - you should donate (its also on the android market)
    • TouchRecalibrate
    • Zeam
    • Nook Color Tools - change settings, install 3rd party apps
    • Rom Manager - CWR & backups
    • Youtube - for learning how to dougie

Pick a Flavor:
    MiniRooterV2-BN1.2-OC
    MiniRooterV2-BN1.2-OC-dualboot
    *Added 5/17
    Flash these files after the previous if your girlfriend/sister/wife keeps nagging you this Nook Color is too fast, and you want to put an end to that.
    Stock Kernel - BN 1.2 - Froyo
    Stock Kernel - BN 1.2 - Froyo - Dual Boot
    * These should work for other practical applications as well, so feel free to snag them just in case.

Devs - please let me know if you wish me to remove any/all of your work that have been included in this release. Thank you for your hard work and dedication, which inspires me to learn and contribute to this community.
    Mods - if this is not acceptable, please move it/delete/or throw a fit.

FAQ:

Unfortunately, I am having 2 issues. One is getting apps from the Amazon App store to install. I keep getting told that the system will only install apps from the Andoid app store, even though the settings are correct. The second issue is with button savior. the back button is not working in the applications section of the settings...

1. Go into Nook Color Utils - uncheck and then recheck "Allow Non-Market Apps"
    2. Button Savior needs Super User permission, so make sure you press "Allow" when the pirate greets you.. in some cases it will not work since the stock BN codes has set the 'n' button to be "back" in fullscreen apps. In cases where there's a "back" button on the taskbar, that will also take priority from button savior.
    More than happy to be corrected, but isn't SetCPU a paid app?
    Unfortunately, I am having 2 issues. One is getting apps from the Amazon App store to install. I keep getting told that the system will only install apps from the Andoid app store, even though the settings are correct. The second issue is with button savior. the back button is not working in the applications section of the settings...

1. Go into Nook Color Utils - uncheck and then recheck "Allow Non-Market Apps"
    2. Button Savior needs Super User permission.. in some cases it will not work since the stock BN codes has set the 'n' button to be "back" in fullscreen apps. In cases where there's a "back" button on the taskbar, that will also take priority from button savior.
    Help???

Open Nook Color Tools, Go to settings: development, and enable debugging and see if that works. You might have to do this every time you use adb commands.
    Can anyone confirm which OC Kernel is included with the 1.2OC package? I saw dalingrin released an update. If I wanted to flash the updated kernel what would be the easiest way? SD CWMR with the updated kernel named as update.zip and flash the update?

Reading the OP would have told you the OC kernel is from 5/13. If you're not running dual boot, all you have to do is flash the .zip from SD card in CWR.