• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROOT][BN1.2-FROYO] MiniRooterV2 for Stock Froyo 1.2 + Stock/OC Kernel

Search This thread

doncaruana

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks for the great mod! I was nooted originally on 1.1, but I wanted to go stock 1.2 for a bit to avoid the problems some have. This seems like a great compromise since I mostly use the amazon market anyway.

Here's my problem: The B&N "book" icon on the bottom tray doesn't work anymore to return to your current book. It blinks but nothing happens. I seem to recall seeing something about this in the forums, but I can't find it now.

Any suggestions?

At this time, there is no known "clean" solution for this. No one knows exactly why it worked in nootered 1.1 but not in any other version. The conventional wisdom is that if you keep the stock home program running in the background (even if you use a different launcher) it still works, even though that isn't necessary on 1.1.

You can use NookHome to launch the stock home launcher and then use the N button to go back to your default launcher

However, what I've found is that eventually the background home launcher gets killed (by the OS?) and it stops working again. But, I personally found (no verification from anyone else yet), that installing ADW (even while using Zeam as my default), I can get the stock home to stay resident and keep the book icon working.

If you'd like to "test run" my klugy-but-seemingly-effective solution, I'd love for some feedback.

mrapollinax

Nov 1, 2010
Can anyone confirm which OC Kernel is included with the 1.2OC package? I saw dalingrin released an update. If I wanted to flash the updated kernel what would be the easiest way? SD CWMR with the updated kernel named as update.zip and flash the update?

HTCF4N

Sep 28, 2009
OKC
Can anyone confirm which OC Kernel is included with the 1.2OC package? I saw dalingrin released an update. If I wanted to flash the updated kernel what would be the easiest way? SD CWMR with the updated kernel named as update.zip and flash the update?

Reading the OP would have told you the OC kernel is from 5/13. If you're not running dual boot, all you have to do is flash the .zip from SD card in CWR.

Reactions: mrapollinax

GadgetFreak

Jan 27, 2008
Waco
HTCF4N,

I've been running with my NC mini-rooted for 2 weeks now and I have to say that I got rid of my dual boot and have decided just to roll with this. The mods allow me to set up the tablet I want, but still have the basic NC functions at the touch of a button. It's just about like I'm dual booted any way. Nice job!!

QwaarJet

Sep 11, 2007
Thanks HTCF4N, you are awesome person of the day for me today. The wife is a PvZ fanatic and you provided the easiest/best way for me to get it playable on her NC without totally nerfing any of the stock settings/look/functionality. On her normal use, nothing changes but when she wants to play PvZ she already knows to just launch Zeam to find PvZ :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CREDITS TO GabrialDestruir,et al (MN 4.5.6) & Dalingrin (OC kernel)

* All warnings implied and applies.. your Nookie might turn into a Cookie... so use at your own risk! :eek:
    * I'm NOT a DEV nor is this something special, so get over it

This CWR flashable kernel is ONLY for STOCK Barnes and Noble's Froyo 1.2 update. MiniRooter V2 is based upon GabrialDestruir's MN 4.5.6 & Dalingrin OC kernel for stock Froyo 1.2 release 5/13.

Why should I jump on this bandwagon?? :confused:
    • MiniRooter will make you 35% happier... j/k it might make you sadder. Ok, maybe not, but it will save you some headaches. It was made for my own selfish use, but I decided it was time to share. :rolleyes:
    • It is NOT for people who wants FULL Android tablet functionality! Go install CM7, Nookie Froyo, or use the ManualRooter.
    • The purpose of Mini Rooter is to allow stock BN 1.2 users access to SU, overclock, install third party apps (sideload), and install apps from Amazon app market. It is intended to mainly add and NOT modify any essential NOOK files, thus keeping the BN Nook experience as functional as possible for its intended purpose. However, you can really make it bi-polar and install other stuff too if you want. For a GREAT & free exchange email client w/calendar, find MoxierMail from the Amazon appstore. It is awesome.
    • The main reason for not modding file systems and installing the google market is to avoid problems I ran into with the MN 4.5.6 install, ie. touch page flips of children's book, BN store not working on purchases, instore access, and other headaches.
    • NO install issues with Angry Birds from the Amazon app store. When installing, choose "Package Installer" :p
    • Essentially, this mod is for newbies and/or tree-hugging hippies and minimalists with a lust for power and a thirst for frozen lemonade. :p mmm.. frozen lemonade.

What it does?
    * Installs SU & busybox (rooting)
    * Replaces stock kernel with Dalingrin's OC Kernel (up to 1.2ghz!!)
    * Installs these apps:
    • adbwireless
    • Amazon Appstore
    • Button Savior
    • Calculator
    • SetCPU - you should donate (its also on the android market)
    • TouchRecalibrate
    • Zeam
    • Nook Color Tools - change settings, install 3rd party apps
    • Rom Manager - CWR & backups
    • Youtube - for learning how to dougie

Pick a Flavor:
    MiniRooterV2-BN1.2-OC
    MiniRooterV2-BN1.2-OC-dualboot
    *Added 5/17
    Flash these files after the previous if your girlfriend/sister/wife keeps nagging you this Nook Color is too fast, and you want to put an end to that.
    Stock Kernel - BN 1.2 - Froyo
    Stock Kernel - BN 1.2 - Froyo - Dual Boot
    * These should work for other practical applications as well, so feel free to snag them just in case.

Devs - please let me know if you wish me to remove any/all of your work that have been included in this release. Thank you for your hard work and dedication, which inspires me to learn and contribute to this community.
    Mods - if this is not acceptable, please move it/delete/or throw a fit.

FAQ:

Unfortunately, I am having 2 issues. One is getting apps from the Amazon App store to install. I keep getting told that the system will only install apps from the Andoid app store, even though the settings are correct. The second issue is with button savior. the back button is not working in the applications section of the settings...

1. Go into Nook Color Utils - uncheck and then recheck "Allow Non-Market Apps"
    2. Button Savior needs Super User permission, so make sure you press "Allow" when the pirate greets you.. in some cases it will not work since the stock BN codes has set the 'n' button to be "back" in fullscreen apps. In cases where there's a "back" button on the taskbar, that will also take priority from button savior.
    More than happy to be corrected, but isn't SetCPU a paid app?
    Unfortunately, I am having 2 issues. One is getting apps from the Amazon App store to install. I keep getting told that the system will only install apps from the Andoid app store, even though the settings are correct. The second issue is with button savior. the back button is not working in the applications section of the settings...

1. Go into Nook Color Utils - uncheck and then recheck "Allow Non-Market Apps"
    2. Button Savior needs Super User permission.. in some cases it will not work since the stock BN codes has set the 'n' button to be "back" in fullscreen apps. In cases where there's a "back" button on the taskbar, that will also take priority from button savior.
    Flashed 1.2 then mini rooter and all is well.
    However, I cannot mount the file system /system as rw with adb (for pushes etc)
    all the adb commands that used to work (remount, mount rw etc.) give me a permission message. Is there a way through root explorer (which also proclaims the file system as read only)? Since I could adb install all my apps properly, this rw issue is strange.
    Help???

Open Nook Color Tools, Go to settings: development, and enable debugging and see if that works. You might have to do this every time you use adb commands.

Reading the OP would have told you the OC kernel is from 5/13. If you're not running dual boot, all you have to do is flash the .zip from SD card in CWR.