Question Root&Custom ROM's for Google Pixel 6!

Search This thread

JJ6543

Dec 30, 2021
I installed GrapheneOS on a Pixel 6. I'm making the transition slowly, trying to figure out what apps I need, etc.

I'm leaning towards all web based and few, if any loaded apps. I wanted to know if apps loaded outside of G Play can still track or capture data or does Graphene stop this?

axelmasok

Dec 11, 2011
I installed GrapheneOS on a Pixel 6. I'm making the transition slowly, trying to figure out what apps I need, etc.

I'm leaning towards all web based and few, if any loaded apps. I wanted to know if apps loaded outside of G Play can still track or capture data or does Graphene stop this?

These days with bigger screen sizes I have utilised Favourites or Bookmarks and used the web versions instead off apps. I've even moved away from RSS readers as clicking the links there are tracking too. If you install apps from Aurora it shows tracker detail or you can manually look up tracker info online. Less apps the better imo.

Reactions: dubt17

efel266

Oct 2, 2011
Haguenau
Hello,
Happy new year everybody.
Is dual sim (with an esim) working with GrapheneOS ?
I think to test it soon, because of battery life in stock...

manjaroid

Jun 25, 2019
Has anybody flashed OpenGapps with a custom config on any these ROMS? Mainly I'm asking about the Proton AOSP minimal package but I'm interested in hearing about the other Pixel-only ROMs too.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Has anybody flashed OpenGapps with a custom config on any these ROMS? Mainly I'm asking about the Proton AOSP minimal package but I'm interested in hearing about the other Pixel-only ROMs too.

Proton, as far as I recall, ships in two versions; gapps, and non-gapps. If you want gapps on proton, pick the gapps version. There is no need to install separately.

However, I would recommend the non-gapps version and NOT installing any gapps. Its horrible spyware, and after an initial hurdle to replace a few programs with ones that don't depend on gapps, it ends up being a much nicer place to be.

manjaroid

Jun 25, 2019
Proton, as far as I recall, ships in two versions; gapps, and non-gapps. If you want gapps on proton, pick the gapps version. There is no need to install separately.

However, I would recommend the non-gapps version and NOT installing any gapps. Its horrible spyware, and after an initial hurdle to replace a few programs with ones that don't depend on gapps, it ends up being a much nicer place to be.
I didn't explain my motives very well but you just did. My old phones running custom ROMs were in that better place and I'm charting ways to get there with my Pixel, or at least something similar. Normally I would flash OpenGapps but do it selectively with a gapps-config.txt file. For me this always seemed like the best compromise with lowest maintenance if I'm going to tolerate Google at all.

I should have read up on it before posting my question. OpenGapps doesn't offer Android 12 packages yet, and its Github docs don't go beyond Android 10. Plus there's a vendor support list somewhere that may not include newer Pixels. Going with a minimal ROM, freezing unwanted apps and/or cherry picking from Play Store are looking like the best options for now.

0xkenny

Dec 15, 2021
BSV Big Blocks
I didn't explain my motives very well but you just did. My old phones running custom ROMs were in that better place and I'm charting ways to get there with my Pixel, or at least something similar. Normally I would flash OpenGapps but do it selectively with a gapps-config.txt file. For me this always seemed like the best compromise with lowest maintenance if I'm going to tolerate Google at all.

I should have read up on it before posting my question. OpenGapps doesn't offer Android 12 packages yet, and its Github docs don't go beyond Android 10. Plus there's a vendor support list somewhere that may not include newer Pixels. Going with a minimal ROM, freezing unwanted apps and/or cherry picking from Play Store are looking like the best options for now.
i been running proton without gapps instlled microg and then get aurora store and cherry pck the things you want runs smooth

erktheerk

I'll play with a ROM eventually. Still having fun with modified stock. Get distracted and "ooh a piece a candy" to another thing.

Magisk-Alpha passed safetynet with gpay depending on rotation of method, Not currently but before this last factory reset I had Riru and Zygislt setup. 'SUI and Shizuku w/ Riru
Highly modified stock ROM
LSPosed w/ App Settings Reborn, Classic Power Menu, Killergram, occasionally half a dozen others such as PrivacySpace, Mi-FreeForm, Disable - FLAG_SECURE (great for scrcpy)
multiple chroot fs via ChArch and termux combined with Storage Isolation and work account
full version of Debian 10
ZSH
ViPER4AndroidRepackaged
KaliNetHunter
wanting to do that windows 11 like kdrag0n
rclone mount to personal dedicated servers
syncthing backup of entire "external" storage
native local backup w/mtd-utilities for nanddump and nandwrite to a exfat OTG though ive haven't attempted a restore yet
HiddenSettings module with various tweaks set rather than using thrid party solutions
Various cross compiled binaries using NDK such as aria2
SSH Server public/private passwordless
Energized Protection
fbind a LUK OTG partition when needed
Moved Certificates to system store
Cloudflare everywhere except when using home automation
Swap between Webviews mainline up through canary as well as bromite
native adb & fastboot (rooted my wifes p6 without PC)
Various Proxy things for experimenting

Reactions: Diablo2424

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The question is, why would you want a bloated rom with this great un-bloated device?
    Pixels now days come with the best software available.
    If you want to customize and root, use Magisk and custom themes.
    If by un-bloated you mean lacking any useful options then sure. But personally I want more options, like the ability to assign custom actions to navbar buttons, to hide the statusbar clock without leaving a huge empty space behind, to have PROPER accent colors I can define via HEX code and many many more.
    On the other hand an UNbloated device shouldn't come with Gmail, Youtube Music, Google TV, Tags or any other crap preinstalled either, most of which I can't uninstall but only disable.
    downloadfile.png

If you follow the aosp build guide you can build aosp pure for pixel 6 ...
    Im currently trying to build a custom recovery for pixel 6 before i release pure aosp or any other aosp build.
    If your wonder why the kernel says september its because i was using it for magisk root.
    I can't wait to see what devs unlock with new kernels đŸ¤¤
    Proton AOSP early release
    Screenshot_20211128-150259.png
    Screenshot_20211128-150404.png
    Please post your successsfull root, (Magisk) & Any successfull custom recoveries and or custom ROM's fully running on Google pixel 6 devices. Leggo developers! đŸ’¯đŸ”¥