[ROOT] Desire Z Permanent Root

Search This thread

Sphaerophoria

Feb 24, 2010
It would be awesome though if you attempted to flash system, data, and boot .imgs in fastboot ;) if it works i just might follow suit...

but don't take my word that it won't further screw the condition of your phone lol

zappoo

Mar 12, 2006
Sydney
I see "VISIONary" has been updated and mentions permanent root.. but even i am not sure of the process.. so i'd like someone to explain :)

zappoo

Mar 12, 2006
Sydney
Really? That easy now? And then i can run SetCPU etc? still undecided whether i want to do this or not.
Not sure i care about better speed - but i would like to get better battery performance.

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
My bad, I thought VISIONary had been updated to do permanent root, but that's still "coming soon", it is still only temp root.

I think this made my decision to keep my Desire Z very easy!

ME TOO! I was thinking of selling my bell branded DZ, but not anymore. Will sure be sweet to get a better version of android, and loose all the bell adware. :)

Something I noticed is FastBoot has to be unchecked before you can access HBOOT or recovery.

uncheck FastBoot here:
from the homescreen menu --> settings --> applications -->

access HBOOT by simultaneously holding optical trackpad button and power

access recovery by simultaneously holding volume down and power

stian230

Oct 29, 2009
Nesttun
G2 recovery is now on ROM Manager. You must have the new ROM Manager, version 2.5.0.6.
lets hope we can use it to on the HZ . has anyone whit permanent root try it on DZ?

schriss

Feb 6, 2006
Dublin
G2 recovery is now on ROM Manager. You must have the new ROM Manager, version 2.5.0.6.
lets hope we can use it to on the HZ . has anyone whit permanent root try it on DZ?

What does this mean? I haven't applied anything to my phone. Can enter both: Bootloader and HBOOT.
Noticed that it's looking for someting on SD card, but it was to quick for me to notice (dont have my camera with me)

Sent from Desire Z

schriss

Feb 6, 2006
Dublin
Can you explain what Clockwork is and why do I want to flash it? Is this to prepare my phone to accept Custom ROMs when they are ready?
Sent from Desire Z

stridger

Oct 8, 2010
Can you explain what Clockwork is and why do I want to flash it? Is this to prepare my phone to accept Custom ROMs when they are ready?

Yes, it is to write to partitions, make partition backups etc. If your system got screwen you could use this recovery to flash images including unsigned ones.

If you do not have an immediate need for it right now, I would hold off until we have a proper HBOOT, at which point the hackery in recovery won't be necessary anymore.

gtrab

Aug 10, 2007
America
Something I noticed is FastBoot has to be unchecked before you can access HBOOT or recovery.

uncheck FastBoot here:
from the homescreen menu --> settings --> applications -->

access HBOOT by simultaneously holding optical trackpad button and power

access recovery by simultaneously holding volume down and power

HTC's FastBoot (or "false off, just hybernating") and NAND lock were responsible for the initial slowed down development

Now, with access, hboot and clockwork will come...