Root disappears after a while

Search This thread

aktap

Apr 13, 2014
Hi!

I'm on OnePlus 8 Pro IN2023 (OOS 11.0.1.1.IN11BA).
I can't hold my root after a while.
I did the whole rooting procedure (get the boot.img from the update zip, install magisk manager on phone (try different versions), patch the boot.img, boot into magisk_patched.img, install/update magisk, then reboot) and it succeed. But a couple of hours some apps crashed (fb, messenger, insta, etc.). Then reboot the phone, but stuck in bootloop... the only thing i can do is reset to factory settings (the root gone, the phone profile gone, the apps gone)
In magisk manager I tried the canary channel (does not work), I tried beta and stable channel, it work fine, but after reboot the bootloop is comming.
I have no idea what did I do wrong :(

c_86

Jul 16, 2011
Canada
www.c86themes.com
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi!

I did the whole rooting procedure (get the boot.img from the update zip, install magisk manager on phone (try different versions), patch the boot.img, boot into magisk_patched.img, install/update magisk, then reboot) and it succeed. But a couple of hours some apps crashed (fb, messenger, insta, etc.). Then reboot the phone, but stuck in bootloop... the only thing i can do is reset to factory settings (the root gone, the phone profile gone, the apps gone)
In magisk manager I tried the canary channel (does not work), I tried beta and stable channel, it work fine, but after reboot the bootloop is comming.

You said boot the magisk patched. Do you flash it?

You boot magiskpatched to make sure it works

Then once confirmed you flash magiskpatched

You make no mention that you flash the magiskpatched (unless I'm blind)?

aktap

Apr 13, 2014
You said boot the magisk patched. Do you flash it?

You boot magiskpatched to make sure it works

Then once confirmed you flash magiskpatched

You make no mention that you flash the magiskpatched (unless I'm blind)?

I use this method:

"Rooting using fastboot commands

Method 1

Booting the patched image first

1. Obtain a patched boot img for your device variant preferably using payload dumper or download one of mine from the foot of this guide or if you've just performed the above guide you should already have a functional one, copy this file to your fastboot folder on your computer

**NOTE - Again the above suggested downloads are for the EU/ UK variant- if you have another model / firmware please use that instead, If you did not obtain the boot.img from a firmware and patch it yourself, you will need to patch it again in magisk manager, to avoid a bootloop

2. Reboot your phone to fastboot and connect to your computer.

3. Boot the magisk patched img

fastboot boot magisk_patched (or name of your patched boot img

4. Reboot your phone, your phone should now boot and you should now be rooted but we need to make this permanent.

5. Open magisk manager and click install/update, if you are missing the install/ update buttons, change magisk version to beta in magisk settings.

6. Select Direct install (recommended)

7. Allow magisk to permanently root your device then click reboot.

You should now remain rooted."

So I probably didn't flash ...

aktap

Apr 13, 2014
I use this method:

"Rooting using fastboot commands

Method 1

Booting the patched image first

1. Obtain a patched boot img for your device variant preferably using payload dumper or download one of mine from the foot of this guide or if you've just performed the above guide you should already have a functional one, copy this file to your fastboot folder on your computer

**NOTE - Again the above suggested downloads are for the EU/ UK variant- if you have another model / firmware please use that instead, If you did not obtain the boot.img from a firmware and patch it yourself, you will need to patch it again in magisk manager, to avoid a bootloop

2. Reboot your phone to fastboot and connect to your computer.

3. Boot the magisk patched img

fastboot boot magisk_patched (or name of your patched boot img

4. Reboot your phone, your phone should now boot and you should now be rooted but we need to make this permanent.

5. Open magisk manager and click install/update, if you are missing the install/ update buttons, change magisk version to beta in magisk settings.

6. Select Direct install (recommended)

7. Allow magisk to permanently root your device then click reboot.

You should now remain rooted."

So I probably didn't flash ...

After which point should i do it?

c_86

Jul 16, 2011
Canada
www.c86themes.com
OnePlus 8 Pro
I wouldn't do it that way...

When you boot magisk patched image. And get to system to confirm you boot fine

Reboot back into bootloader and

Fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
Fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img

Fastboot reboot

That will permanently install the boot image.

Don't bother with the direct install on magisk app

aktap

Apr 13, 2014
I wouldn't do it that way...

When you boot magisk patched image. And get to system to confirm you boot fine

Reboot back into bootloader and

Fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
Fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img

Fastboot reboot

That will permanently install the boot image.

Don't bother with the direct install on magisk app

Okay i'll try

Thank you for your help

elmarian756

Mar 7, 2016
Hi!

If you are using lucky patcher, this is the cause. The symptoms you describe are the same. This app became harmful for 8 pro in a11. Causing apps to crash, detachment from gms services, and eventually bootloop. You lose root because of the factory reset. That is expected. Please confirm if this is the cause. I experienced this myself in a test environment.

aktap

Apr 13, 2014
If you are using lucky patcher, this is the cause. The symptoms you describe are the same. This app became harmful for 8 pro in a11. Causing apps to crash, detachment from gms services, and eventually bootloop. You lose root because of the factory reset. That is expected. Please confirm if this is the cause. I experienced this myself in a test environment.

Yes, I use Lucky Patcher. So you're saying that if I don't install the LP, the problem won't occur? And some app that replaces LP?