So basically if I do not want to pay for it, I won't be able to root my Honor 10 ?
Because mine is bootloader locked and I cannot seem to find a way to lift the lock, - at least for free - and even those which are not for free, look like a freaking scam.
I am desperate and almost gave up.
2. Download Magisk Manager (all-full-release.apk) from https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds and install it.
3. Download magisk root (magisk-release.zip)
4. Enable OEM Unlock (so you can flash recovery in fastboot) , Power Off the device, push and hold VOL DOWN and plug in the usb cable. The device will start into fastboot.
5. Flash Twrp withon the PC: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp-3.2.3-1-charlotte.img
6. This one is a bit tricky! Type fastboot reboot, push and hold VOL UP and after sending fastboot reboot immediately remove cable and wait for twrp to boot. If you not remove the cable you will end up in eRecovery and have to redo the steps above.
7. In twrp, go to advanced and start ADB. Than plug in the USB cable.
8. PC: flash magisk-release.zip with: adb sideload magisk-release.zip
9. IMPORTANT: Remove cable, select reboot, but keep VOL UP pressed during reboot, otherwise you are not able to use magisk. You have to press VOL UP everytime you reboot the device otherwise you have to do Step 5-9 again.
10. Done, your device is rooted.
UPDATE to .162:
To Update succsessfully to .162 you have to do the following things:
1. flash emui stock recovery_ramdisk.img in fastboot (extract it from update.app using Huawei Update Extractor) use "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk RECOVERY_RAMDIS.IMG" You dont have to use recovery_ramdisk.img from .162. Just use the latest update.app to extract the recovery_ramdisk.img you can find in Firmware Finder.
2. Disable OEM Unlock and reboot the device
3. Go to Settings\System\Software Updates and Hit the 3 Dots on the top right. Select the Full Package Download.
4. Wait until download is complete and hit update. Now the device will boot into EMUI recovery and install the update the phone.
5. The device is now rootless, if you want root again, follow the instructions above.
Caution: Just in case: After the update and installation of magisk, adaway becomes unstable on my phone. It seems the "allow root" popup dont show up after adaway started. I have fixed this by autoallow root in magisk, start adaway, enable adblocking and set magisk to "ask permissions" again. After this, the popup shows correctly again. For now i have no clue why this was happen, another Honor 10 dont have this issue at all.
You can use the guide above but you have to update (Systemupdate) twice, since the update comes with 2 separate packages. After the first run, emui recovery shows "update failed". Just reboot to system, go to settings, and start the updateprocess again. The second package is about ~220MB in size. After this follow the guide above to get magisk running again.
Notice for UPDATE .203:
Just do the usual way. Flash STOCK recovery_ramdis.img with fastboot, reboot the phone, do the update. After this flash twrp in fastboot again and adb sideload magisk-release.zip.
Notice for UPDATE .207:
Works! Flash STOCK recovery_ramdis.img with fastboot, reboot the phone, do the update. After this flash twrp in fastboot again and adb sideload magisk-release.zip.
At step 8. PC: flash magisk-v19.3.zip with: adb sideload Magisk-v19.3.zip
Notice for UPDATE EMUI 9.1:
9.1 Change a lot, you will have the latest stock RECOVERY_RAMDISK.IMG patched via Magiskmanager and install that with fastboot. After this, reboot and PRess VOL+. You will end up in eRecovery, hit Wipe/Factory Reset(Make BACKUP!) and reboot. This install magisk permanently. For Adaway: You need Systemless Mode activated in Magisk and Adaway.
Maybe i will write another Guide for 9.1, but for now im testing stability.