Root EMUI 9.0

Search This thread

ThreeMMM

Jan 4, 2011
Hamburg
Thx to topjohnwu you can use magisk on EMUI9. https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds

What you need:
1. Unlocked Bootloader
2. be able to use twrp 3.2.3-1 (important! 3.2.3-1). In this case, im using latest offical twrp for the Huawei P20 Pro (charlotte). Only use ADB function, other features (backup/restore) are untested by me, it can harm your device eventually if you use other functions then ADB.
3. adb installed on PC
4. all-full-release.apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds
5. magisk-release.zip from https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds

OK, so how we root the Honor 10 with EMUI9.0?

1. Download offical twrp from here: https://dl.twrp.me/charlotte/twrp-3.2.3-1-charlotte.img.html.
Be careful, this release was made for another device, but i had no issue with it on my Honor 10.

2. Download Magisk Manager (all-full-release.apk) from https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds and install it.
3. Download magisk root (magisk-release.zip)
4. Enable OEM Unlock (so you can flash recovery in fastboot) , Power Off the device, push and hold VOL DOWN and plug in the usb cable. The device will start into fastboot.
5. Flash Twrp withon the PC: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp-3.2.3-1-charlotte.img
6. This one is a bit tricky! Type fastboot reboot, push and hold VOL UP and after sending fastboot reboot immediately remove cable and wait for twrp to boot. If you not remove the cable you will end up in eRecovery and have to redo the steps above.
7. In twrp, go to advanced and start ADB. Than plug in the USB cable.
8. PC: flash magisk-release.zip with: adb sideload magisk-release.zip
9. IMPORTANT: Remove cable, select reboot, but keep VOL UP pressed during reboot, otherwise you are not able to use magisk. You have to press VOL UP everytime you reboot the device otherwise you have to do Step 5-9 again.
10. Done, your device is rooted.

UPDATE to .162:

To Update succsessfully to .162 you have to do the following things:

1. flash emui stock recovery_ramdisk.img in fastboot (extract it from update.app using Huawei Update Extractor) use "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk RECOVERY_RAMDIS.IMG" You dont have to use recovery_ramdisk.img from .162. Just use the latest update.app to extract the recovery_ramdisk.img you can find in Firmware Finder.
2. Disable OEM Unlock and reboot the device
3. Go to Settings\System\Software Updates and Hit the 3 Dots on the top right. Select the Full Package Download.
4. Wait until download is complete and hit update. Now the device will boot into EMUI recovery and install the update the phone.
5. The device is now rootless, if you want root again, follow the instructions above.

Caution: Just in case: After the update and installation of magisk, adaway becomes unstable on my phone. It seems the "allow root" popup dont show up after adaway started. I have fixed this by autoallow root in magisk, start adaway, enable adblocking and set magisk to "ask permissions" again. After this, the popup shows correctly again. For now i have no clue why this was happen, another Honor 10 dont have this issue at all.

Just disable battery optimization for magisk manager and the "allow root" popup will appear

Notice for UPDATE .179:

You can use the guide above but you have to update (Systemupdate) twice, since the update comes with 2 separate packages. After the first run, emui recovery shows "update failed". Just reboot to system, go to settings, and start the updateprocess again. The second package is about ~220MB in size. After this follow the guide above to get magisk running again.

Notice for UPDATE .203:

Just do the usual way. Flash STOCK recovery_ramdis.img with fastboot, reboot the phone, do the update. After this flash twrp in fastboot again and adb sideload magisk-release.zip.

Notice for UPDATE .207:

Works! Flash STOCK recovery_ramdis.img with fastboot, reboot the phone, do the update. After this flash twrp in fastboot again and adb sideload magisk-release.zip.

Notice for UPDATE .216:

Works!

Notice for UPDATE .223:

Works, but you have to use latest Magisk release (19.3) from topjohnwu: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

At step 8. PC: flash magisk-v19.3.zip with: adb sideload Magisk-v19.3.zip

Notice for UPDATE EMUI 9.1:
9.1 Change a lot, you will have the latest stock RECOVERY_RAMDISK.IMG patched via Magiskmanager and install that with fastboot. After this, reboot and PRess VOL+. You will end up in eRecovery, hit Wipe/Factory Reset(Make BACKUP!) and reboot. This install magisk permanently. For Adaway: You need Systemless Mode activated in Magisk and Adaway.

Maybe i will write another Guide for 9.1, but for now im testing stability.

Last edited:

fosterqaz11

Dec 2, 2014
Bangalore
Well P20 hardware share similarity with honor 10. Twrp should work logically but you never know when you came up against something bad so I will for now hehe

Sent from my Honor 10 using XDA Labs

leAndroid91

Jan 30, 2013
Köllefornia
Hi, either it's not working for me or i'm stuck somewhere.
Steps 1-5 are working.

Then it reboot the device with fastboot reboot and press&hold the vol up.
But my phone doesn't boot into twrp. All i get is erecovery.

When i turn the phone off, no usb cable plugged in and try to get into twrp by press&hold power + vol up i get:
error mode
attention!
please update system again
error!
func no: 11 (recovery image)
func no:2 (load failed!)

Normal boot still worked fine.

What am i doing wrong?
I just updated from 8.1 to 9 today fyi.

edit: after flashing my latest twrp image that worked i can access twrp recovery again.
but everything at /sdcard looks encrypted since all folders and files have crazy names like asdfASdfasdFGADSgm
I currently don't have any password etc. on my honor.

Last edited:

ThreeMMM

Jan 4, 2011
Hamburg
edit: after flashing my latest twrp image that worked i can access twrp recovery again.
but everything at /sdcard looks encrypted since all folders and files have crazy names like asdfASdfasdFGADSgm
I currently don't have any password etc. on my honor.

Android 9 comes with build in crypto, so its perfektly normal to see folders like "akgaufagkiugsduiphps". Thats the reason we have to use ADB with latest TWRP, only 3.2.3-1 has support for it. So i beleive, if you cant get 3.2.3-1 running, you cannot have magisk atm.

cplpro18

Jan 16, 2016
Tuebingen
Thx to topjohnwu you can use magisk on EMUI9. https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds

1. Download offical twrp from here: https://dl.twrp.me/charlotte/twrp-3.2.3-1-charlotte.img.html.
Be careful, this release was made for another device, but i had no issue with it on my Honor 10.

2. Download magisk (all-full-release.apk) from https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds and install it. Its Magisk Manager.
3. Download magisk-release.zip
4. Disable OEM Unlock, Power Off device, push and hold VOL DOWN and plug is the usb cable. The device will start into fastboot.
5. Flash Twrp with: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp-3.2.3-1-charlotte.img
6. Type fastboot reboot, push and hold VOL UP until device boots into twrp.
7. In twrp start ADB
9. IMPORTANT: Select Reboot but keep VOL UP pressed during reboot, otherwise you are not able to use magisk.

Thx a lot! Works fine :)
One question about 9. - I had to remove the cable first, otherwise by pushing VOL UP+reboot it goes directly to eRecovery-mode?! :confused:

leAndroid91

Jan 30, 2013
Köllefornia
Uhm ... just one question for my understanding.
How am i supposed to flash a new recovery in step 5 when i disable oem unlock in step 4?
As far as i know deactivating oem unlock prevents from flashing even if the bootloader is already unlocked.

cplpro18

Jan 16, 2016
Tuebingen
Uhm ... just one question for my understanding.
How am i supposed to flash a new recovery in step 5 when i disable oem unlock in step 4?
As far as i know deactivating oem unlock prevents from flashing even if the bootloader is already unlocked.

You're right, i just went through without reading that point correctly. It's a little bit misleading :D

ThreeMMM

Jan 4, 2011
Hamburg
Sorry guys, i have edit the Post so now its more clear what to do. Thanks for the hints, it a pleasure to contribute to such a nice community! Keep rockin!

kmarek11

Oct 9, 2013
Haj
point 2
Installation Magisk all-full-release.apk. The application is installed, additional files are downloaded, but end with the message "Magisk not installed". Is this how it should be?

leAndroid91

Jan 30, 2013
Köllefornia
By keeping oem unlocked i was able to flash twrp, too.
And i was able to boot into twrp.
But for /sdcard it kept showing me the encrypted files and folders

What's the reason behind:
9. IMPORTANT: Remove cable, select reboot, but keep VOL UP pressed during reboot, otherwise you are not able to use magisk. You have to use this everytime you reboot the device.

Is magisk checking if vol up is pressend and then activates, otherwise it stays inactive?

edit:
i was not able to boot like mentioned in step 9.
1st try: i got stuck at "your device is booting now..." (still pressing vol up).
Then released vol up and waited for another 3-4 minutes but nothing happend.

2nd try: When not pressing any button my phone booted as expected but without magisk.

3rd try: Then i shut it down again.
Turned it on, pressend and hold vol up but i just got into eRecovery.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Coraz

Jun 23, 2015
Firenze
Does this method keep magisk permanently after the first boot or do I need to repeat the procedure every time if my bootloader is locked?

kmarek11

Oct 9, 2013
p. 2
magisk (all-full-release.apk) install.
select method:
- Download zip only
- Patch boot image file (then click)???

kmarek11

Oct 9, 2013
I am installing magisk (all-full-release.apk) from the given link
the application appears on the phone
in the magisk application I click "installation" I get communication, do you want to install Magisk-v18.0 (18000) zip? and choice:
1 I do not thank you
2 changes
3 this installation I click and the "Choose method" message is displayed: and the option to choose
1 download only zip or
2 Patching the boot image file
Which one to choose to go to the next steps?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What you need:
    1. Unlocked Bootloader
    2. be able to use twrp 3.2.3-1 (important! 3.2.3-1). In this case, im using latest offical twrp for the Huawei P20 Pro (charlotte). Only use ADB function, other features (backup/restore) are untested by me, it can harm your device eventually if you use other functions then ADB.
    3. adb installed on PC
    4. all-full-release.apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds
    5. magisk-release.zip from https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds

OK, so how we root the Honor 10 with EMUI9.0?

2. Download Magisk Manager (all-full-release.apk) from https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds and install it.
    3. Download magisk root (magisk-release.zip)
    4. Enable OEM Unlock (so you can flash recovery in fastboot) , Power Off the device, push and hold VOL DOWN and plug in the usb cable. The device will start into fastboot.
    5. Flash Twrp withon the PC: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp-3.2.3-1-charlotte.img
    6. This one is a bit tricky! Type fastboot reboot, push and hold VOL UP and after sending fastboot reboot immediately remove cable and wait for twrp to boot. If you not remove the cable you will end up in eRecovery and have to redo the steps above.
    7. In twrp, go to advanced and start ADB. Than plug in the USB cable.
    9. IMPORTANT: Remove cable, select reboot, but keep VOL UP pressed during reboot, otherwise you are not able to use magisk. You have to press VOL UP everytime you reboot the device otherwise you have to do Step 5-9 again.
    10. Done, your device is rooted.

UPDATE to .162:

To Update succsessfully to .162 you have to do the following things:

1. flash emui stock recovery_ramdisk.img in fastboot (extract it from update.app using Huawei Update Extractor) use "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk RECOVERY_RAMDIS.IMG" You dont have to use recovery_ramdisk.img from .162. Just use the latest update.app to extract the recovery_ramdisk.img you can find in Firmware Finder.
    2. Disable OEM Unlock and reboot the device
    3. Go to Settings\System\Software Updates and Hit the 3 Dots on the top right. Select the Full Package Download.
    4. Wait until download is complete and hit update. Now the device will boot into EMUI recovery and install the update the phone.
    5. The device is now rootless, if you want root again, follow the instructions above.

Caution: Just in case: After the update and installation of magisk, adaway becomes unstable on my phone. It seems the "allow root" popup dont show up after adaway started. I have fixed this by autoallow root in magisk, start adaway, enable adblocking and set magisk to "ask permissions" again. After this, the popup shows correctly again. For now i have no clue why this was happen, another Honor 10 dont have this issue at all.

Just disable battery optimization for magisk manager and the "allow root" popup will appear

Notice for UPDATE .179:

You can use the guide above but you have to update (Systemupdate) twice, since the update comes with 2 separate packages. After the first run, emui recovery shows "update failed". Just reboot to system, go to settings, and start the updateprocess again. The second package is about ~220MB in size. After this follow the guide above to get magisk running again.

Notice for UPDATE .203:

Just do the usual way. Flash STOCK recovery_ramdis.img with fastboot, reboot the phone, do the update. After this flash twrp in fastboot again and adb sideload magisk-release.zip.

Notice for UPDATE .207:

Works! Flash STOCK recovery_ramdis.img with fastboot, reboot the phone, do the update. After this flash twrp in fastboot again and adb sideload magisk-release.zip.

Notice for UPDATE .216:

Works!

Notice for UPDATE .223:

Works, but you have to use latest Magisk release (19.3) from topjohnwu: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases

At step 8. PC: flash magisk-v19.3.zip with: adb sideload Magisk-v19.3.zip

Notice for UPDATE EMUI 9.1:
    9.1 Change a lot, you will have the latest stock RECOVERY_RAMDISK.IMG patched via Magiskmanager and install that with fastboot. After this, reboot and PRess VOL+. You will end up in eRecovery, hit Wipe/Factory Reset(Make BACKUP!) and reboot. This install magisk permanently. For Adaway: You need Systemless Mode activated in Magisk and Adaway.

Maybe i will write another Guide for 9.1, but for now im testing stability.
    Here it is, latest recovery_ramdisk. Stock + Magisk Patched. (Version 9.1.0.366)

Download
    Which version (325, 327, 330)?
    Any problems with flashing Magisk? I read that the method is a little bit different than with EMUI 9.0, and requires doing a factory reset and restoring data later.

Yes its different. Im still have problems with twrp, so be patient. I guess i will write another Guide with the new instructions.

EDIT:
    I have Magisk installed but Adaway is not able to write a hosts file directly, you have to activate systemless mode and it works.
    Hmm after flashing Magisk patched ramdisk image i had to Factory/Reset but this install magisk. I had no dataloss, and calls and massage work like a charm. Maybe a regional issue?
    After this, you have to root the device again just like post 1 describes it.

Since you have already updated and are rooted again, I have new hope that rooting will succeed for me this time as well with the update. I’ll give it a try tonight!

Could you upload a stock recovery file? I'm at work and won't wait till the evening :D

Here you have the stock recovery_ramdisk for COL-L29C432E4R1P9B159: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DMw_gJBOtHJfSycRG_yhsjsz1R7D6_Qd/view?usp=sharing

For some reason, the Firmware Finder does not list the new OTA yet though, so I cannot get a backup of the new stock recovery :/ I hope they will publish the link there soon.