2023 SM-G955U/U1/W Rev8 Root Method Android 9 (snapdragon models) Via Bootloader Unlock Token

Search This thread

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
I updated the OP with new method that will hopefully cut down on certain phones bricking. I have no control over why certain phones brick when flashing combination firmware. Its most likely one of the partions over time has gotten corrupted.

Reactions: bradical711

hamdaed22

Dec 21, 2016
g955u after flash v8 boot loader its brick
No boot, does not go to boot loader, does not go to recovery, does not know USB at all, does not exist, help friends

I updated the OP with new method that will hopefully cut down on certain phones bricking. I have no control over why certain phones brick when flashing combination firmware. Its most likely one of the partions over time has gotten corrupted.

Does this method allow us to install the Android 11 GSI? If not is there any other way to flash some variant of Android 11? Samsung and T-Mobile customer support apparently can't unlock my bootloader remotely so they said I could take it to a Samsung authorized store

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Does this method allow us to install the Android 11 GSI? If not is there any other way to flash some variant of Android 11? Samsung and T-Mobile customer support apparently can't unlock my bootloader remotely so they said I could take it to a Samsung authorized store
There is no bootloader unlock. You are stuck with samsung android 7 if you want root or android 9 stock

Slipknot8Wwe

Sep 28, 2015
Moto G Power (2021)
So recently I got a Samsung Galaxy s8 plus as a backup and it has safestrap already on it. It is super buggy and laggy in my opinion and I would like to restore back to factory stock however every Odin file that I have tried gives me a auth fail.. I don't know what to do if anybody has any kind of information on this that would be great. Not a noob. Which confuses me even more lmfao

beto_91

Mar 13, 2021
It keeps rebooting into Safetrap without giving me an option. I flashed the Nougar zip within Safetrap but it does not work.

Edit. I fixed it. But I can't install Xposed "No Space left in disk"

Last edited:

Emptypng

Feb 27, 2021
It keeps rebooting into Safetrap without giving me an option. I flashed the Nougar zip within Safetrap but it does not work.

Edit. I fixed it. But I can't install Xposed "No Space left in disk"
download the one from the link in the xposed repo, that one let me do it after clearing chrome and stuff with titanium backup

jrkruse

Recognized Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Well its been a fun ride for the 8 series but from here on out I do not support or encourage rootIng this device. A good number of devices have become hard bricked from simply flashing the combo firmware. I don't know why this happens to only some phones possible a past OTA corrupted a partition on the phones or something. Whatever the reason I have decided to pull the method and will no longer support it. Please don't ask for files or help I will provide neither. I will leave rooted and non rooted safestrap roms up for those that still have a rooted 8 series.

Now I've had a lot of phones as someone who makes a living in the digital world (I've got more flip phones than Jitterbug), and out of all the phones I've owned(myself)/modified/repaired/ or even just looked at for somebody... the S8+ has got to be my all time favorite. Why? Because of it's steel ball durability and the sheer power this thing has.

By the time the phone was released I had already managed to obliterate the first one with a brake rotor (pro tip - use a headlamp when working on cars instead of laying the phone on the ground with the flashlight on). I still remember the look on the guys face when I brought it in and asked them to replace the screen. "You want to replace the screen on a phone that doesn't even come out for two more weeks?" And if everyone remembers this was the first bezel-less-glass-front-and-ass phone to come out. The looks from everyone in the store were priceless. Not only did this idiot manage to get a new phone before its release; he also chose not to pay the $12 insurance and had to pay $600 because the 2 week grace period had run out literally 2 days before. I got my replacement and things went on normally from there.

Fast forward some amount of time later and the phone holds up well but gets boring on the stock rom. I eventually finish off the lease and Sprint unlocks the phone OTA. I now own a "factory" unlocked US variant of the S8+ (SM-G955U) which didn't even make sense to most at the time because I had gotten the phone so early my lease was up early.

Then came the modifying... Now just like the Note 3, the S8+ is a truly unbrickable phone. Yes you can brick it very easily, but there is always a way to fix it regardless the damage you do to it. Using QFIL and cutting out the middleman, you can always bring ole' Bessie back to life. In my time of owning this phone I've bricked it probably everyway imaginable. Trying to flash to the boot partition, leaving it in the sun,flashing an Exynos variant file, and even trying to boot a Windows Mobile image onto the phone. Physically I know every pieces of the phone by heart. I've taken it apart an illogiocal amount of times; spent 6 hours removing the glass back for the first time (no iOpener). I've even modified a S9+ frame to take the S8+ motherboard. To this day the phone still has some of the smaller parts from an S9+ in it. Once again here I am unbricking it from kernel panic (die+0x28c/0x2d0) because I was trying to use the XTouchWiz for Oreo instead of Nougat. :laugh::D

Not to mention when this phone is rooted it's got crackhead superpowers... so that's my story. Figured I'd share it.

Thank you jrkruse for your ongoing development on this platform. Thank you elliwigy and anybody else who has contributed. It's been fun and hairpullingly frustrating but there's no better feeling than playing with the monster you've successfully created. Good work and godspeed.
Crackhead superpowers? I'm gleefully here for that!

thechillhacker

Mar 26, 2011
Took a bit to figure out but this worked perfectly on my g955u on v8 bootloader!
Could you please elaborate? I used to run CM on all my phones, and it's finally time to prioritize freeing my wife's and my vze G955Us before I am forced to just junk them and rely on the Pinephone Pro, as incomplete as it is

thechillhacker

Mar 26, 2011
what issue are you having?
Well, I have a Verizon G955U with Android 9 (and v8 bootloader) and am getting lots of mixed results when I look into how to liberate it without turning it into a somewhat less desirable masonry block. As you said 'it took a bit to figure it out' I was hoping you could elaborate on what you needed to figure out, so as to help others with such phones. End goal is to run a proper AOSP rom, ideally latest LineageOS.

bobnosn

Mar 22, 2018
Well, I have a Verizon G955U with Android 9 (and v8 bootloader) and am getting lots of mixed results when I look into how to liberate it without turning it into a somewhat less desirable masonry block. As you said 'it took a bit to figure it out' I was hoping you could elaborate on what you needed to figure out, so as to help others with such phones. End goal is to run a proper AOSP rom, ideally latest LineageOS.
I didn't mess with Lineage or any other rom besides the nougat rom OP provided. This took me a bit to figure out because I didn't realize I had to flash the combo firmware and use the bat file in the Telegram first in order to get safestrap. Once you've got safestrap the rest of the process follows the guides provided well, you just gotta make sure you join the Telegram and have all the correct files for your device.

thechillhacker

Mar 26, 2011
I didn't mess with Lineage or any other rom besides the nougat rom OP provided. This took me a bit to figure out because I didn't realize I had to flash the combo firmware and use the bat file in the Telegram first in order to get safestrap. Once you've got safestrap the rest of the process follows the guides provided well, you just gotta make sure you join the Telegram and have all the correct files for your device.
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I need to set up a Telegram account, and not worry about running a newer rom.

Reactions: bobnosn

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root Method And Bootloader Unlock For S8+ Snapdragon
    Bootloaders can be unlocked via unlock token this is a paid service and more information found out below

Before unlocking bootloader preparations
    Downloads
    Odin3_v3.14.1_3B_PatcheD.7z

BL_G955USQU8DUA2_CL17214672_QB37456059_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5

Instructions
    USB 2 mini hub will probably be needed

Flash the above BL file in Odin BL slot and reboot
    Flashed purchased token from above site
    After token unlock make sure your phones KG status is not prenormal you can chek this status in download mode. If it is prenormal reboot to phone and connect to a network.

Once Bootloaders are unlocked use below file to root
    Full Firmware

SM-G955USQU8DUJ1_UNLOCKED_FIRMWARE.7z
    SM-G955U1UEU8DVD4_UNLOCKED_FIRMWARE.7z -- See Instructions Below
    SM-G955WVLU8CUF3_UNLOCKED_FIRMWARE.7z
    Stand Alone AIO
    USERDATA_AIO_G955U_U1_W_ALL_CSC_ZYGISK_FORCE_WIPE_2023_08_22.tar.md5
    USERDATA_AIO_G955U_U1_W_ALL_CSC_ZYGISK_NO_WIPE_2023_08_22.tar.md5

Instructions

USB 2 mini hub will probably be needed
    Flash Firmware if you want to update to the latest in appropriate Odin slots.
    If you want to stay on current choose the stand Alone AIO and flash in Userdata slot
    Phone will reboot to twrp and format data and install root
    Phone will reboot to setup

Instructions For U1 Firmware
    U1 firmware you need to install the firmware first without using the AIO make sure sim you are using is in the phone. Once phone is booted connect to internet go through setup the reboot back to download mode and flash the stand alone AIO by itself in odin. If you dont do this you will get service provider update and wont be able to git rid of it

Additional Help Found On My Telegram Channel

Old Root Method For S8+ U/U1/W Series Phones Rev8 Locked Bootloader

This method only gives you root on Nougat if you want to root Pie you must use and pay for above method!!
    One Click Method Brought To Everyone By oakieville He provide this free of charge so If you like maybe give him a little donation
    Paypal email is oakieville209@gmail.com

Before Starting This Process Get A USB2 Mini Hub You Are Most Likely Going Too Need It. Do Not Come In Here And Post This Is Not Working Until You Have Tried It With The USB2 Mini Hub!

You Must Start From Stock U Firmware. IT Seems To Be The Less Likely To Brick Your Device As Explained In The Disclaimer!

Disclaimer Please Read!!

This may brick your device there is a problem especially with s8 and note 8 models where the tz partition becomes corrupted and on some occasions after flashing combination firmware your phone will become bricked and as of now there is no way to fix it. There is no way to predict if it will happen. It doesn’t seem too happen very often on s8+ but it does occasionally happen on the other 2 models so do this at your own risk. I would say it probably happens 10 percent of the time on s8 and note 8 especially when on bit 6 or higher firmwares. S8+ it rarely happens too but it still may. If you take the risk and it happens do not pm me asking how to fix it as of time I posted this there is no way to fix it

Please Read Notes

OEM Toggle Does Nothing On US Model Phones

You will most likely need a USB 2 mini hub for Odin to work if using windows 8 or higher. I would temporarily disable windows defender or antivirus software while performing the procedure with your computer.

You cannot have root on any rom except a nougat rom also flashing custom boot images cannot be done or using systemless magisk. Hiding root or running modules cannot be done. There is no oem unlock and even if there is you cannot unlock your bootloaders or run any aosp based roms.

You can be on any firmware to achieve safestrap but to run a rooted rom you will be limited to using a special nougat android 7 rom. You can have safestrap on pie android 9 which gives you some ability to modify system files flash zips etc and have access too data and other partitions that are normally blocked but you can not run root on android 9 because root on android 9 requires a modified boot image

Anything here with a .7z extension will get unzipped before using
    Anything here with a .zip extension will get flashed a zip in safestrap
    Anything here with a .tar or .md5 gets flashed in odin
    Anything here with a .img extension gets flashed as image in safestrap

Additional Help Can Be Found In The Telegram Channel
    Telegram Channel For 8 Series Root

Downloads

Odin3_v3.14.1_3B_PatcheD.7z
    SM-G955U_VZW_G955USQU8DUJ1.7z -- Stock U Firmware Flash First In Odin
    SAFESTRAP_S8_PLUS_GUI_INSTALLER.7z - GUI 1 Click Method-Recommend!

Alt Method

Safestrap_S8_Plus_Cmd_Line.7z - Command Line 1 Click

Directions Once On Stock U Firmware

If using Safestrap_8_Series_Cmd_Line follow instructions on Cmd screen.

1. Download files and unzip SAFESTRAP_S8_PLUS_GUI_INSTALLER.7z

2. Plug phone into computer and allow access too phone data

3. Run the SAFESTRAP_8_SERIES.exe file. In program choose your model of phone in drop down box then click Root Button and select COMBINATION_FA70_G955USQU8ATG1.tar.md5 file too flash it is packed in the zip you downloaded from above. Everything else is automatically done for you just follow any pop up that come up.
    image_2023-03-01_19-19-11.png

4. Phone will reboot too download and flash combo firmware and then reboot. Click dialog stating that it has rebooted and it will inject safestrap all automatically

5. When done you will have a minimal system with safestrap recovery

Instructions For Installing Rom

System Images
    system_g955_nougat.7z - Nougat Image That Can Be Rooted
    Pie With Safestrap Stock Roms Un Rooted Found Here
    Canadian Roms Found Here

1. From here you will either a nougat or pie system image to your phone which will be flashed in safestrap. Reboot to safestrap using the safestrap control app once in safestrap choose wipe then advanced wipe and wipe data. Then goto home screen of safestrap using install tab and the the flash image tab at bottom. Choose system image you copied to phone. System images get flashed too system partition.

2 My nougat system images are not pre rooted if you want for root you will also need too flash a root zip in safestrap.

Root Zips For Nougat Image

EFTSU_System-v20.4_12_28_22.zip

SuperSU_System_12_28_22.zip

Phhs_SuperSU_S8_S9_Series.zip

3. You can enter safestrap anytime on nougat by simply rebooting to recovery which will enter safestrap or by using the safestrap control app

Fingerprint Fix For Nougat Roms
    SM_G955U_FINGERPRINT_FIX.exe

4. If fingerprint not working reboot phone too download mode and run this SM_G955U_FINGERPRINT_FIX.exe

Pie With Safestrap Roms
    Full Guide found Here
    Video Tutorial
    Thank You Liset Pedraza
    Method In This Video To Obtain Safestrap Has Changed But The Process Of Using Safestrap Still Pertains

Credits
    klabit87 - Basically Everything
    GSMCHEN - The root method
    elliwigy -The root method
    afaneh92 -Safestrap and too much too mention[/MEDIA]
    oakieville - 1 click method
    [ROOT] [Extreme Syndicate] [Snapdragon][G955U/U1][V7 Bootloaders]

If anyone is thinking on updating phones now is the time. The method of unlocking bootloaders on US variants works one s10/s20 and n10/n20 phones. Read the whole article too get info and yes it works I have a bootloader unlocked sm-g975u s10+ with twrp and magisk installed.

https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-note-20-ultra-root-us-unlocked-snapdragon-865/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now I've had a lot of phones as someone who makes a living in the digital world (I've got more flip phones than Jitterbug), and out of all the phones I've owned(myself)/modified/repaired/ or even just looked at for somebody... the S8+ has got to be my all time favorite. Why? Because of it's steel ball durability and the sheer power this thing has.

By the time the phone was released I had already managed to obliterate the first one with a brake rotor (pro tip - use a headlamp when working on cars instead of laying the phone on the ground with the flashlight on). I still remember the look on the guys face when I brought it in and asked them to replace the screen. "You want to replace the screen on a phone that doesn't even come out for two more weeks?" And if everyone remembers this was the first bezel-less-glass-front-and-ass phone to come out. The looks from everyone in the store were priceless. Not only did this idiot manage to get a new phone before its release; he also chose not to pay the $12 insurance and had to pay $600 because the 2 week grace period had run out literally 2 days before. I got my replacement and things went on normally from there.

Fast forward some amount of time later and the phone holds up well but gets boring on the stock rom. I eventually finish off the lease and Sprint unlocks the phone OTA. I now own a "factory" unlocked US variant of the S8+ (SM-G955U) which didn't even make sense to most at the time because I had gotten the phone so early my lease was up early.

Then came the modifying... Now just like the Note 3, the S8+ is a truly unbrickable phone. Yes you can brick it very easily, but there is always a way to fix it regardless the damage you do to it. Using QFIL and cutting out the middleman, you can always bring ole' Bessie back to life. In my time of owning this phone I've bricked it probably everyway imaginable. Trying to flash to the boot partition, leaving it in the sun,flashing an Exynos variant file, and even trying to boot a Windows Mobile image onto the phone. Physically I know every pieces of the phone by heart. I've taken it apart an illogiocal amount of times; spent 6 hours removing the glass back for the first time (no iOpener). I've even modified a S9+ frame to take the S8+ motherboard. To this day the phone still has some of the smaller parts from an S9+ in it. Once again here I am unbricking it from kernel panic (die+0x28c/0x2d0) because I was trying to use the XTouchWiz for Oreo instead of Nougat. :laugh::D

Not to mention when this phone is rooted it's got crackhead superpowers... so that's my story. Figured I'd share it.

Thank you jrkruse for your ongoing development on this platform. Thank you elliwigy and anybody else who has contributed. It's been fun and hairpullingly frustrating but there's no better feeling than playing with the monster you've successfully created. Good work and godspeed.