• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROOT][FILESYSTEM]Full 500MB SuperSU rooted Root.fs for BlueStacks

Search This thread

Nephatiu

Sep 13, 2011
Tienen
www.ggtm.eu
Clearly chinese what you said :p Kinda n00b android user and honestly dont understand nothing from what you answered to me.
Anyways, thx for the answers. Is anything else i can do or just w8 for a next patch or release.

Like I said before, you could try downloading the second 7zip a bit lower in the 1st post where it says: "Download the BlueStacks Androdebian Project" and unzipping that 7zip to your programdata\BlueStacks\Android directory, replacing all your own files. Note that this will reset all your apps and settings. If after doing that BlueStacks still isn't rooted, the problem probably lies somewhere else, and not inside BlueStacks. :/

Grtz,

~ Nephatiu

manthos1978

Mar 15, 2012
Thessaloniki
Like I said before, you could try downloading the second 7zip a bit lower in the 1st post where it says: "Download the BlueStacks Androdebian Project" and unzipping that 7zip to your programdata\BlueStacks\Android directory, replacing all your own files. Note that this will reset all your apps and settings. If after doing that BlueStacks still isn't rooted, the problem probably lies somewhere else, and not inside BlueStacks. :/

Grtz,

~ Nephatiu

Im afraid same problem :(

Nephatiu

Sep 13, 2011
Tienen
www.ggtm.eu
Im afraid same problem :(

Well, I'm out of solutions, then. :/ Since the su binaries are in place (seeing in your screenshot), have the right permissions and owner:group assignement, data isn't corrupted either, and I think about every file in your BlueStacks is the same as mine, I'm assuming that the culprit is outside of the BlueStacks software. Something keeping you from having write access to the Root.fs maybe.
Did you try running BlueStacks as Administrator (it's an option in the shortcut's right click menu ('Run as Administrator') and a setting in the shortcut's properties to make it stick if you don't want to right click every time.)?

Wrong Windows owner and/or permissions over the Root.fs file could also prevent you from writing to it, but that's very improbable since you just copied the files there yourself... You could of course always check by right clicking on Root.fs, selecting Properties, clicking the 'Security' tab and checking in the 'Advanced' if owner is somebody on the system (and not some random numbers) and that somebody has full access, but I doubt that would be the problem as you shouldn't be able to move or copy those files to the programdata folder if they were set wrongly here, and you did, so... :/

Other than that, I really don't know what else could be the problem... Maybe UAC (User Account Control (the popup boxes when opening apps that can change system files (like installers,...))), but in theory that should also be fixed when running BlueStacks as Administrator,...

I'll give it some more thought, though... In the mean while, if you happen to find a solution to your problem by yourself, please let me know as I'm curious now too. :p And it could only be helpfull to anyone else having the same problem. ;)

Grtz,

~ Nephatiu

Nephatiu

Sep 13, 2011
Tienen
www.ggtm.eu
Well the only thing i can think that its going wrong, cause i allready and other ways to root it, is the SU binaries. IF there is a way to re-install em manually, i would be happy to test it. Im out of ideas too :(

There is a way of reinstalling them, but since your files look exactly the same as mine (to the byte), I doubt that will change anything.

On x86-systems you just need to run Portable Ubuntu and do a

Code:
sudo su [I](pwd: 123456)[/I]
mkdir /n
mkdir /n/rootfs
mkdir /n/img
mount -o loop "/media/cofs2/ProgramData/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs" /n/rootfs [I](if this folder is not on your C-drive, check post #1 for instructions getting your windows drive on 'cofs3')[/I]
chown root:root /n/rootfs/android/system.img
mount -o loop /n/rootfs/android/system.img /n/img

From this point you now have everything loaded again as you would have in the explanation in Post #1, where you could then overwrite the su binaries (downloads also in Post #1) yourself and do anything you want differently.
Just don't forget to finish up like on Post #1 too (chmodding and chowning everything to Android's usersystem while closing up).

On (the imho depricated) x64-systems however, you will need a linuxbox to work on or (easiest) a linux virtual machine with shared folders. You will have to replace /media/cofs2/...' with the right directory structure then, of course.

Grtz,

~ Nephatiu

Last edited:

steelfatboy1

Mar 31, 2010
Many thanks to Nephatiu, root works great! I found out that yes, you need to install an app, like gmail, in bluestacks before getting root to get access to the google play store. I was also having the issue with apps closing and throwing me to the desktop. The only fix I found was to use the previous beta, 0.8.2.3018. It works perfectly with the files from Nephatiu.

g01851

Oct 22, 2010
Looks like there's been an update to Bluestacks :)

Applying it broke root (superSU can't update binary) and Adaway can't block ads :(

Last edited:

Chakkas

Aug 23, 2013
Anyone have any idea how to stop that annoying bluestacks update popup thing? its quite annoying to say the least. I love updates and all but since bluestacks 0.8.3 made KIK unusable for me im scared of updating it to anything higher than 0.8.2

Chakkas

Aug 23, 2013

XDM inc

Mar 7, 2011
umm i was wondering is this is still being updated? i just starting bluestacks and i would like to use is for android rom development.
is there a way i can edit the bluestacks os externally? i see apps are installed easily via windows. i would like to install CM11 kitkat to it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Current rooted version: 0.8.3.3026
    !!!UPDATE 07DEC13!!! -> With SuperSU v1.80!

Here are the rewritable rooted filesystem-files for BlueStacks. Easy if you want to install BlueStacks for development reasons and don't want to go through the trouble of rooting it yourself. ;)
    I'll try to keep it updated as they make their updates, but since they don't really announce them, forgive me if I skip some. :silly:
    It's also allowed to point me out there's a new version, I'll probably get to it faster that way. :p

Anyway,

Usage:
    Install BlueStacks
    Quit Bluestacks completely.
    - (By clicking on their tray icon and selecting Quit, or by running the HD-Quit.exe)
    Go to your BlueStacks-ProgramData directory
    - (In Windows Vista and up it's: x:\ProgramData\BlueStacks)
    - (In Windows XP it'll be: x:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BlueStacks)
    Unpack and replace Root.fs and initrd.img with the 2 files in this 7zip
    Restart BlueStacks
    If "Installer" asks root access, give it root access... ;p

Done! ;)

Code:
    [URL="http://cur.lv/5atkp"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][U]Download both files 7zip'd from 'ADrive' here[/U][/COLOR][/URL] (269.3MB)

Mirrors:
    [URL="http://cur.lv/5atb6"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][U]Download both files 7zip'd from 'FileDropper' here[/U][/COLOR][/URL] (269.3MB)
    [URL="http://cur.lv/5blid"][COLOR="DarkBlue"][U]Download both files 7zip'd from 'Dev-Host' here[/U][/COLOR][/URL] (269.3MB)
    [URL="http://cur.lv/5blth"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][U]Download both files 7zip'd from 'MediaFire' here[/U][/COLOR][/URL] (269.3MB)
    [URL="http://cur.lv/5bpjr"][COLOR="Red"][U]Download both files 7zip'd from 'Android File Host' here[/U][/COLOR][/URL] (269.3MB)

---

[URL="http://bit.ly/1bP5VjD"]MD5 Checksum[/URL]: 0f199f0f353e701a7b9c535098b243b3
    Please excuse me trying to get something out of the trouble, though. ;p

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Then, for the noobs that just can't get it working and the limitless downloaders who just don't look at filesize, next, I give you the full 'Android' directory! 7zipped while not running, these files are a certainty that all should work, because they come with /system and /data together and are meant to replace your own. All your own apps and settings (not your backupz to SD) will have gone after doing the following, so it's only recommended when you're planning to start anew anyway or when you just can't get the root into it for some reason... Or maybe you planned ahaed and backed everything up anyway... ;p These files are certain to give you not only SuperSU-root access, but also a Play Store ready to use and as a bonus a full Debian Linux (Jessie) installed underneath it. (This is why it's so much bigger. ;p)

A little info on the linux:
    Debian's root password is set to "bluestacks", and it's also the password for the "BlueStacks" user. You can change these without any problems. You can also just enter Debian Linux by opening the installed Terminal. I already preset it to do this. ;) I also used the none standard Terminal app so you can use the normal one for your own purpouses without constantly fiddling and swapping with it's settings. ;p

So, just kill BlueStacks completely and swap the contents of this 7z with the contents of your ProgData-BlueStacks-Android dir (except for the missing sdcard.sparsefs, of course). ;)
    It should be located here:
    - For XP: x:\documents and settings\all users\application data\BlueStacks\Android
    - For Vista, 7, 8,...: x:\programdata\BlueStacks\Android
    (x marks the drive your windows is installed on. ;))
    And restart BlueStacks.

Code:
    [URL="http://cur.lv/5d4xj"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][U]Download the BlueStacks Androdebian Project from 'ADrive' here[/U][/COLOR][/URL] (622.3MB)

[URL="http://cur.lv/5dbr7"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][U]Download the BlueStacks Androdebian Project from 'FileDropper' here[/U][/COLOR][/URL] (622.3MB)
    [URL="http://cur.lv/5dct9"][COLOR="DarkBlue"][U]Download Part 1 of the BlueStacks Androdebian Project from 'Dev-Host' here[/U][/COLOR][/URL] (311.5MB)
    [URL="http://cur.lv/5dcyx"][COLOR="DarkBlue"][U]Download Part 2 of the BlueStacks Androdebian Project from 'Dev-Host' here[/U][/COLOR][/URL] (310.8MB)
    [URL="ttp://cur.lv/5d51y"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][U]Download the BlueStacks Androdebian Project from 'MediaFire' here[/U][/COLOR][/URL] (622.3MB)
    [URL="http://cur.lv/5dciu"][COLOR="Red"][U]Download the BlueStacks Androdebian Project from 'Android File Host' here[/U][/COLOR][/URL] (622.3MB)

---

[URL="http://bit.ly/JbVniG"]MD5 Checksum (Full File)[/URL]: 5763bf8f96d4f4990494d4bab1b2fd0b
    [URL="http://bit.ly/18mVKlB"]MD5 Checksum (Part 1)[/URL]: 32ee4dc23717c2c5878dfdf125231fe1
    [URL="http://bit.ly/Jg3v1H"]MD5 Checksum (Part 2)[/URL]: 7a989a027454786ab45fe4eb6d3917b7

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

And btw, if you want to try it yourself, I always write down my steps taken, so here they are: ;)

Rooting BlueStacks as I did it:

For this you will need the following programs:
    BlueStacks (of course)
    IOBit Uninstaller
    7zip
    Notepad++
    Portable Ubuntu
    I used Windows XP x86, but I added the info for higher windows versions and x64 windows versions as well)
    x marks the drive your windows is installed on. ;)

Winkey-R (Run) "%programfiles%\BlueStacks\HD-Quit.exe" (or "%Programfiles(x86)%\BlueStacks\HD-Quit.exe" for x64);

Kill HD-LogRotatorService.exe in Task Manager;

I used IOBit Uninstaller because I hate waiting on the Windows internal one and it does a lot more stuff we need done.
    (If you want it and haven't already, get IOBit Uninstaller here!);

Uninstall BlueStacks with IOBit Uninstaller;
    Choose to scan for remaining stuff and delete all of the findings;
    Uninstall BlueStacks Notification Center
    When it asks to keep all data and userfiles, say no;

Delete x:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BlueStacksSetup (or x:\ProgramData\BlueStacksSetup in Vista or higher)
    ('BlueStacks' dir has been removed by clicking 'yes' in uninstall, if not, remove it as well);

If you can't delete hyperviser.log, you'll have to reboot first, then delete the BlueStacks folder before you'll be able to continue. ;)

Re-install BlueStacks
    (If you haven't already, get BlueStacks here!);

Download "busybox-i686" from this site and rename it to "busybox";
    Download SuperSU in flash zip format from this site.
    Inside this zip is more then just SuperSU. Unzip these files to "c:\pubuntu":
    (out of zipped directory "/common":)
    - "Superuser.apk";
    - "install-recovery.sh";
    - "99SuperSUDaemon";
    (out of zipped directory "/x86":)
    - "su";

Open Superuser.apk with 7zip, extract the files "/assets/chattr.x86.png" and "/assets/supersu.x86.png to any temporary directory, rename the files to "chattr.arm.png" and "supersu.arm.png", re-insert them (by dragging them back to the still open 7zip) and replace the other 2 png-files.
    (If you haven't already, get 7zip here!);
    Close 7zip and save;

Open x:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BlueStacks (or x:\ProgramData\BlueStacks in Vista or higher);
    Open "initrd.img" with 7zip;
    Unpack "initrd" to any temporary dir;
    Open "initrd" with Notepad++
    (If you haven't already, get Notepad++ here!);
    Search for " ro " (including the spaces, not the quotationmarks)
    There should be two results, change the first to " rw "
    - Hint: It's not the one which starts with "Option: ro (read-only",
    It's the one that resembles 'try_mount ro $1 /mnt && [ -e /mnt/$SRC/ramdisk.img ]'. ;P
    ;
    Save "initrd" and close Notepad++;
    Drag it back into the 7zip application where "initrd.img" is still open and overwrite existing "initrd";
    Close 7zip;

Then you'll need Portable Ubuntu
    (If you haven't already, get Portable Ubuntu here!);
    NOTE: Portable Ubuntu does not work on x64 Windows, so if you're not running an x86 Windows, you'll need to use a Linux box or vm (with shared folders) here instead.

- If you have Windows installed on any other drive than C, do the following, if it's installed in C, skip this:
    - Open Ubuntu Portable folder;
    - Go to the "config" subfolder;
    - Edit the file "portable_ubuntu.conf";
    - Under the line: "shared_folder0=c:\" add "shared_folder1=x:\" (where x is still the drive your windows is on);
    - Save "portable_ubuntu.conf" and exit Notepad++;

Open Portable Ubuntu;
    Open the terminal window once it's fully loaded;

Do the following in the exact order:

Code:
    sudo su
    (pubuntu's password is '123456')
    mkdir /n
    mkdir /n/rootfs
    mkdir /n/sfs
    mkdir /n/img

[B]- If windows was on C:[/B]
    e2fsck -f -y "/media/cofs2/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs"
    resize2fs -f "/media/cofs2/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs" 500M
    mount -o loop "/media/cofs2/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs" /n/rootfs
    [COLOR="Gray"](or for Vista and up:
    e2fsck -f -y "/media/cofs2/ProgramData/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs"
    resize2fs -f "/media/cofs2/ProgramData/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs" 500M
    mount -o loop "/media/cofs2/ProgramData/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs" /n/rootfs
    )[/COLOR]

[B]- If not:[/B]
    [I]e2fsck -f -y "/media/cofs3/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs"
    resize2fs -f "/media/cofs3/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs" 500M
    mount -o loop "/media/cofs3/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs" /n/rootfs
    [COLOR="Gray"](or for Vista and up:
    e2fsck -f -y "/media/cofs3/ProgramData/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs"
    resize2fs -f "/media/cofs3/ProgramData/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs" 500M
    mount -o loop "/media/cofs3/ProgramData/BlueStacks/Android/Root.fs" /n/rootfs
    )[/COLOR][/I]

mount -o loop /n/rootfs/android/system.sfs /n/sfs
    cp /n/sfs/system.img /n/rootfs/android
    e2fsck -f -y /n/rootfs/android/system.img
    resize2fs -f /n/rootfs/android/system.img 480M
    umount /n/sfs
    rm /n/rootfs/android/system.sfs
    rmdir /n/sfs
    mount -o loop /n/rootfs/android/system.img /n/img
    mkdir /n/img/bin/.ext
    mkdir /n/img/etc/init.d
    cp "/media/cofs2/pubuntu/su" /n/img/xbin/daemonsu
    cp "/media/cofs2/pubuntu/su" /n/img/xbin/su
    cp "/media/cofs2/pubuntu/su" /n/img/bin/.ext/.su
    cp "/media/cofs2/pubuntu/Superuser.apk" /n/img/app/SuperSU.apk
    cp "/media/cofs2/pubuntu/install-recovery.sh" /n/img/etc/install-recovery.sh
    cp "/media/cofs2/pubuntu/99SuperSUDaemon" /n/img/etc/init.d/99SuperSUDaemon
    cp "/media/cofs2/pubuntu/busybox" /n/img/xbin
    echo 1 > /n/img/etc/.installed_su_daemon
    chown 0:2000 /n/img/bin/.ext
    chown 0:2000 /n/img/bin/.ext/.su
    chown 0:2000 /n/img/xbin/su
    chown 0:2000 /n/img/xbin/daemonsu
    chmod 777 /n/img/bin/.ext
    chmod 6755 /n/img/bin/.ext/.su
    chmod 6755 /n/img/xbin/su
    chmod 6755 /n/img/xbin/daemonsu
    chmod 755 /n/img/etc/install-recovery.sh
    chmod 755 /n/img/etc/init.d/99SuperSUDaemon
    chmod 644 /n/img/etc/.installed_su_daemon
    chmod 644 /n/img/app/SuperSU.apk
    umount /n/img
    rmdir /n/img
    chown 0:2000 /n/rootfs/android/system.img
    chmod 0644 /n/rootfs/android/system.img
    umount /n/rootfs
    rmdir /n/rootfs
    rmdir /n
    exit
    exit

Shutdown Portable Ubuntu;
    Boot BlueStacks;
    Install custom launcher like ADW, Go or Apex (Superuser app does not show up in BlueStacks' Launcher);
    Install Root Explorer;
    Move custom launcher from "/data/app" to "/system/app";
    Reboot BlueStacks;
    You can now safely remove apps like "Launcher2.apk" and "new_Home.apk" and other original launcher related stuff.

Enjoy and grtz,

~ Nephatiu ;)
    thanks...
    you are great. :good:
    Appreciate your hard work.:highfive: :D

Guys, i recommend checking out this Rooter instead http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=49516424 its much easier, and works with any version of BlueStacks, and its easy!

I dont think the author will update his prerooted image so the rooter seems like a better solution for future BlueStacks versions
    If possible could the root files be compressed before theyre uploaded by any chance in .7z? it would half the download size from 500MB to around 256MB, im sure the many with sucky internet speeds would appreciate it >.<

Hope you enjoyed le trip ~

Good idea. I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place... :p

Ah, well, I'll 7zip them and up them again,... ;)

Grtz,

~ Nephatiu
    Thanks man!:highfive:

np. ;)

just last 3Qs, how can i migrate my data files from my old bluestacks? my apps, games, data.. everything. like save files from games.. this seems my biggest hurdle updating.

I dunno, you could try saving the data.sparsefs, but I don't know how compatible it is with newer versions of BlueStacks,... I suppose it should work, but haven't tried it. I personally use BS for testing, and intentionally without anything saved on it I want to keep, so I can do clean reinstalls.

and i have this problem on BS(old version 0.8.0), it says my SD card isnt mounted, how will i get it mount?

There's no mounting it in your Settings > Storage ? If not, I suppose either your BS install or your sdcard.sparsefs-files are corrupted. Try first saving the 2 sparsefs dirs, doing a clean reinstall and putting them back. If it's not solved then, it's probably corrupted anyway...

lastly, do i need to install the fresh BS from the bluestacks? or i can just download ur files right away and do overwrites?

Normally it is advised to install a fresh install to use the latest updates to the framework, but I haven't tried how far back you can use Root.fs files, so it's worth a try.
    I'd suggest editing your own initrd.img yourself, since you have another layout in it if it's the 0.8.0 one. ;p

Grtz,

~ Nephatiu
    Can you explain the steps to root my version manually instead of downloading a 500mb file, if not possible then can you please provide a mirror since Adrive gives Public File Busy error all the time to me?

Thanks

Edit:
    Never mind, ignore it. Got it now. Although it's better if you could provide mirrors for others as Adrive is giving problems. I had to download using a premium downloader.

Still want instructions, then? :confused:
    Cause I wrote down the steps I took, so I could easily paste them here (and adapt them a little for others to read, of course. :D).

Grtz,

~ Nephatiu