• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root Fire 7 (9th) OS 7.3.1.7? Push my limits

Search This thread

sudoers

Feb 9, 2021
Hello dear community,

I have a 9th generation Fire 7 with OS 7.3.1.7 from a good friend.
The device is to be bricked.
Professionally I am an IT system electronics technician and as a hobby I am a tecnican-freak, but this is where I reach my limits.

I have already opened the device and tried the hardware method, but I also get an error message in the terminal. So that I cannot unlock the device or the bootloader.
With MTK-SU this is no longer possible with the OS as I have already read and tested.

My question is, is it still possible to crack the device with this build (date 12/20/20)?

Or am I doing something wrong?
Linux installation
mustang
magisk
everything followed as described in these instructions https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/fire-7-2019-mustang-unbrick-downgrade-unlock-root.3944365/

A reasonable instruction video would be desirable if something like that exists

I'm from Germany so sorry if the English is a bit broken
But I hope there is some way to help me

Many Thanks

Edit:
regularly at Check GPT it breaks off see on pic 2

Attachments

• 20210222_224219.jpg
    20210222_224219.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 104
  • 20210222_232653.jpg
    20210222_232653.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Michajin

Oct 23, 2012
Hello dear community,

I have a 9th generation Fire 7 with OS 7.3.1.7 from a good friend.
The device is to be bricked.
Professionally I am an IT system electronics technician and as a hobby I am a tecnican-freak, but this is where I reach my limits.

I have already opened the device and tried the hardware method, but I also get an error message in the terminal. So that I cannot unlock the device or the bootloader.
With MTK-SU this is no longer possible with the OS as I have already read and tested.

My question is, is it still possible to crack the device with this build (date 12/20/20)?

Or am I doing something wrong?
Linux installation
mustang
magisk
everything followed as described in these instructions https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/fire-7-2019-mustang-unbrick-downgrade-unlock-root.3944365/

A reasonable instruction video would be desirable if something like that exists

I'm from Germany so sorry if the English is a bit broken
But I hope there is some way to help me

Many Thanks

Edit:
regularly at Check GPT it breaks off see on pic 2
What device is listed as a lsusb? If you can access the bootrom (MediaTek Phone 6227) you have hope

-ANDROlD-

Feb 18, 2021
If you are willing to experiment I have a couple ideas I've been contemplating as I have a device I want to root also.

Basically two methods mirroring the original, a hardware method (involves probing SPI/UART) or software method leveraging finding a exploit in userspace. (linux or arm based)

WARNING: DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR DEVICE
I HAVE NOT TESTED ANYTHING PERSONALLY!

I'm just spitballing from a perspective of a advanced Electronics engineer and Linux backround. (none in pentesting or ANDROID environments) Which is what we need.
The Mediatek vulnerability was a once in 5 years exploit and it seems unlikely to find another exploit that wide open.

For the hardware method you'd need a USB - > TTL/UART/SPI adaptor you could try to crack root but if there isn't even a login console then you are out of luck with that aspect.

Proposed software methods:

This might be made to work if compiled for arm32-bit

If we can get a stock fireOS image we could run
or

Also found some shell scripts that don't need compilation.

There's also Ghidra if you are a pro binary analyzer which might be the best bet but also the hardest.

Jun 3, 2021
If you are willing to experiment I have a couple ideas I've been contemplating as I have a device I want to root also.

Got a interesting idea i'm working on, todo with fbtool and unbrick on this particular type of Fire 7, requires compiling lineage, possibly a bit of reverse engineering - currently thinking about it still: