Root for LG G3 VS985 Android 6.0 47A

Search This thread

millicow

Jun 1, 2016
I found this one click root tutorial for my phone on ibtimes website (can't post the link because I'm a new member) but it's for Lollipop. Will it work for Marshmallow 6.0 (software version 47A)? I'm afraid it will brick my phone (again - my last phone was a G2 that I bricked from enabling 16-bit transparency to improve performance)
If it doesn't, how can I root it and install custom recovery? I can't find a root for this phone on Marshmallow, and I don't know how to roll back to Lollipop.
I am willing to factory reset if I need to.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi! Google for the TOT method, in order to flash the 10B TOT from a Windows PC. You can find the 10B TOT and the .DLL that's extracted from the 35B KDZ at my Android File Host link at the bottom of the first post of @annoyingduck 's stickied return to stock thread in the General section, or the first thread in my signature below. The thread itself is for the KDZ method which is why I say you'll have to Google for the TOT instructions. Even if you find TOT instructions for another device, the method should be identical or very similar, just using a different TOT file and .DLL than the ones they specify.

In case you're wondering, from stock unrooted 35B or higher you can only flash the 35B or higher KDZ.

Once you're on 10B, root using the Stump app (again, Google for it), then install TWRP Manager from the Play Store and use that to flash the latest TWRP. Reboot to TWRP, then if you want to be back on stock but rooted and optionally debloated 47A Marshmallow, flash the 35B Bootstack that you can get from @xdabbeb 's VS985 v2.0 thread in the Development section, then flash his stock 47A firmware also in that section, and any optional debloat zips from the third post of the 47A firmware thread or my signature below, and Xposed if you want, etc.

Rooting gets more difficult after 10B, and putting TWRP gets harder after 12B.

Flashing the 10B TOT will wipe all your user apps, user and system data, and your internal storage and put it back to 100% stock KitKat.

Last edited:

millicow

Jun 1, 2016
Hi! Google for the TOT method, in order to flash the 10B TOT from a Windows PC. You can find the 10B TOT and the .DLL that's extracted from the 35B KDZ at my Android File Host link at the bottom of the first post of @annoyingduck 's stickied return to stock thread in the General section, or the first thread in my signature below. The thread itself is for the KDZ method which is why I say you'll have to Google for the TOT instructions. Even if you find TOT instructions for another device, the method should be identical or very similar, just using a different TOT file and .DLL than the ones they specify.

In case you're wondering, from stock unrooted 35B or higher you can only flash the 35B or higher KDZ.

Once you're on 10B, root using the Stump app (again, Google for it), then install TWRP Manager from the Play Store and use that to flash the latest TWRP. Reboot to TWRP, then if you want to be back on stock but rooted and optionally debloated 47A Marshmallow, flash the 35B Bootstack that you can get from @xdabbeb 's VS985 v2.0 thread in the Development section, then flash his stock 47A firmware also in that section, and any optional debloat zips from the third post of the 47A firmware thread or my signature below, and Xposed if you want, etc.

Flashing the 10B TOT will wipe all your user apps, user and system data, and your internal storage and put it back to 100% stock KitKat.
Thanks. I'll try to do this next time I have WiFi access.

Kos1

Jun 27, 2012
Dangers in downgrading newer G3?

Though I have successfully done in the past, the last time I tried to flash my G3 down to 10b, the IMEI got reset to all zeros, and even after finding a tool to reset the IMEI, it would never reliably connect to the network. I have no idea what I did differently this time.
I was fortunate to be able to get the phone replaced, but I'm hesitant to flash it again just for the few things I want root for.
I've seen reports on other forums of others having problems with downgrading "newer G3s."
Does anyone here have any knowledge of such problems?

I wish Kingroot wasn't apparently at war with the SuperSu-Me folks.

millicow

Jun 1, 2016
Though I have successfully done in the past, the last time I tried to flash my G3 down to 10b, the IMEI got reset to all zeros, and even after finding a tool to reset the IMEI, it would never reliably connect to the network. I have no idea what I did differently this time.
I was fortunate to be able to get the phone replaced, but I'm hesitant to flash it again just for the few things I want root for.
I've seen reports on other forums of others having problems with downgrading "newer G3s."
Does anyone here have any knowledge of such problems?

I wish Kingroot wasn't apparently at war with the SuperSu-Me folks.
Thanks for the warning. Luckily I was hesitant to do that and I decided not to root my phone. However, yesterday my screen started messing up - it occasionally flickers off and freezes and fades out, and usually if I turn the screen off and put a little pressure on the back for the phone, it works again for a couple hours. I don't know how long my screen will last, if this means it's dying for good. I found a post about it on reddit where a bunch of people with the VS985 had the same problem, and after sending it in, replacing the screen and connections didn't work, so they thought it was an issue with the main board. So I think I'm going to get a new phone, and then I'll be able to mess around with this without worrying about breaking it since I got a new phone.
But I don't want to get another G3 because I don't want to get this problem again. I only have about $340 to spend on a new phone, and am thinking about getting a refurbished G4 or Nexus phone.

musleh22

Aug 4, 2017

I found this one click root tutorial for my phone on ibtimes website (can't post the link because I'm a new member) but it's for Lollipop. Will it work for Marshmallow 6.0 (software version 47A)? I'm afraid it will brick my phone (again - my last phone was a G2 that I bricked from enabling 16-bit transparency to improve performance)
If it doesn't, how can I root it and install custom recovery? I can't find a root for this phone on Marshmallow, and I don't know how to roll back to Lollipop.
I am willing to factory reset if I need to.

good

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.