• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root for SM-T290 (tab a 8.0 2019)

Search This thread

zrex

you have to unlock bootloader
if you can boot on this TWRP file (if screen working) you can copy 2 files on sdcard : Fix_vendor_10.0.zip and magisk.zip
you have to use odin in download mode to flash in AP the TWRP

you can find instructions here : https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-2-for-2019-galaxy-tab-a-8-0-sm-t290.4185235/

I went through this guide https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html#samsung-system-as-root to try and get magisk setup for root and it is giving me secure check failed for both boot and recovery. I didn't have TWRP installed.

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
If I root this T290, will I be able to move apps to sdcard? Only 10 of 32 GB are reserved for user apps. Shame samsung.
No, Root rights will not give this opportunity :(
Update the firmware to 11 android and the function of transferring applications to a memory card (standard) will become available;)

Last edited:

aaytar

Mar 4, 2015
@aaytar , @Viggen66
What version of stock did you have when you bought the tablet? If it was Android 9, you may be able to reinstall Android 9 stock, let it go online and re-register, and go from there. (I had to do that at one point.) If it was Android 10, I'm sorry, I can't help with that.
I had Android 9 when I bought it. It went to warranty and came. They installed the latest version, but I went back to android 9 again. now on android 9. I tried the actions on youtube but in vain.

V0latyle

This is what I just did on CUF8 (Android 11 XAR CSC), previously unlocked the bootloader

Flashed everything with Odin (to force a factory reset, used CSC instead of HOME_CSC)
Rebooted tablet to Download mode
Flashed TWRP 3.5.2_9-0 to AP with Odin
Rebooted into TWRP
Flashed Multidisabler 3.1 to disable encryption; formatted /data
Rebooted into TWRP, flashed Magisk 23.0
Rebooted into system, have working root

If you're unable to unlock bootloader using newer firmware, you can downgrade using a patched version of Odin here
I unlocked the bootloader when I first got the tablet before even setting it up; I do remember having difficulty getting to the bootloader unlock screen after enabling OEM Unlocking; I believe the trick was holding Vol + and Vol - with the tablet off while plugging in the USB cable

Reactions: Talich52

themace51

Aug 22, 2020
Anyone know of a fix for the blank screen when flashed TWRP?
On firmware T290XXU3BUC1?

Should i try and update the firmware and then try and flash? see if that fixes the blank screen?

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
Anyone know of a fix for the blank screen when flashed TWRP?
On firmware T290XXU3BUC1?

Should i try and update the firmware and then try and flash? see if that fixes the blank screen?
On the T290 model, you can sew at least 9, at least 10, at least 11 android, since so far the bootloader version 3 is everywhere :)
At the same time, the disappearance of the image is not sure what is connected with the protection, rather it is a defective display ...
But we need checks and statistics ... The devices of the old production (a year ago) did not have this property, although the firmware on them is installed the same ...

themace51

Aug 22, 2020
I have tried rooting with TWRP but i get blank screen. I have also tried to patch the firmware.
I have firmware T290KOO3BUE2/
I have tried different methods, and wondered if i have done something wrong.
I have tried the direct patch the AP, that fails with secure check failed vbmeta, while flashing in download mode, shows on the tablet screen.
I have tried extracting the boot, recovery, vbmeta, making tar, patching them with magisk. dd command to fill the files. Put it all back together, and try to flash, and i get the same secure check failed vbmeta.
I am doing something wrong? It is driving me mad.

Posts say you have to go to recovery and wipe device.
I have tried this
Do i have to let it go to blue screen to erase and go to recovery after? as if i try before that
i do not get the standard recovery page, i get 4 lines saying power off - recovery - fastboot - reboot.
If i go to recovery, it goes to a download mode but with black screen instead of the normal blue screen.
If i choose fastboot, nothing happens, and restarts.
After the erasing screen, i can go to the normal recovery mode, and can wipe -reset it, but no magisk and the firmware boots up ok but without magisk, i have installed the magisk apk, but says NA and tried a root app and fails to get root.

Driving me crazy :(

Thanks

Last edited:

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
I have tried rooting with TWRP but i get blank screen. I have also tried to patch the firmware.
I have firmware T290KOO3BUE2/
I have tried different methods, and wondered if i have done something wrong.
I have tried the direct patch the AP, that fails with secure check failed vbmeta, while flashing in download mode, shows on the tablet screen.
I have tried extracting the boot, recovery, vbmeta, making tar, patching them with magisk. dd command to fill the files. Put it all back together, and try to flash, and i get the same secure check failed vbmeta.
I am doing something wrong? It is driving me mad.

Posts say you have to go to recovery and wipe device.
I have tried this
Do i have to let it go to blue screen to erase and go to recovery after? as if i try before that
i do not get the standard recovery page, i get 4 lines saying power off - recovery - fastboot - reboot.
If i go to recovery, it goes to a download mode but with black screen instead of the normal blue screen.
If i choose fastboot, nothing happens, and restarts.
After the erasing screen, i can go to the normal recovery mode, and can wipe -reset it, but no magisk and the firmware boots up ok but without magisk, i have installed the magisk apk, but says NA and tried a root app and fails to get root.

Driving me crazy :(

Thanks
Please read earlier posts.

SECURE CHECK FAIL: vbmeta
does *not* mean you have failed. I got this message the time I succeeded.

From what I remember, after downloading with Odin, go directly to recovery to wipe data. If Android boots before you wipe data, I think you have failed, and should start over.

Once you have wiped data, you have to meet the challenge of booting towards recovery, without getting to recovery. I think it was @gcrutchr who gave me the tip I needed to find the right moment to release the buttons.

If you get to Android, but there is no sign that Magisk is installed and running, *do*not* go back to Odin. Shut down (Power Off). Try booting again. At least a dozen times. This is a very fussy step. You have to hold the buttons to boot to recovery, because Magisk is in recovery. But you have to release the buttons before Magisk checks them, because that's how Magisk decides between letting recovery boot and run, and Magisk keeping control and booting Android. It is miserable. There is no sign that Magisk is in control until long after Android has booted.

Every time Android comes up (when you are still trying for that first successful boot of Magisk), you have to run the Magisk Manager app. (If you don't see it in your app drawer, you have to install it.) The app has panels that talk about the status of Magisk and of Magisk Manager. More importantly, the first time Magisk is in control, the Manager will say something like "need to do some more setup". THIS is the sign that you have succeeded: You managed to install Magisk, and you managed to trigger it.

This has all been covered, repeatedly. In @topjohnwu 's installation notes. In posts in this (or maybe one of the related) thread. It will be a relatively early post.

UPDATE: I just read a post in the Magisk thread that says (since version 16) Magisk checks for a copy of the Manager and, if necessary, installs a stub. So maybe if you boot and don't find a Magisk Manager app, that *is* a clear sign that you have not triggered Magisk. But if you install the app once (after wiping data), you won't need to install it again, no matter how many times you reboot trying to hit the sweet spot.

Last edited:

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Please read earlier posts.

SECURE CHECK FAIL: vbmeta
does *not* mean you have failed. I got this message the time I succeeded.

From what I remember, after downloading with Odin, go directly to recovery to wipe data. If Android boots before you wipe data, I think you have failed, and should start over.

Once you have wiped data, you have to meet the challenge of booting towards recovery, without getting to recovery. I think it was @gcrutchr who gave me the tip I needed to find the right moment to release the buttons.

If you get to Android, but there is no sign that Magisk is installed and running, *do*not* go back to Odin. Shut down (Power Off). Try booting again. At least a dozen times. This is a very fussy step. You have to hold the buttons to boot to recovery, because Magisk is in recovery. But you have to release the buttons before Magisk checks them, because that's how Magisk decides between letting recovery boot and run, and Magisk keeping control and booting Android. It is miserable. There is no sign that Magisk is in control until long after Android has booted.

Every time Android comes up (when you are still trying for that first successful boot of Magisk), you have to run the Magisk Manager app. (If you don't see it in your app drawer, you have to install it.) The app has panels that talk about the status of Magisk and of Magisk Manager. More importantly, the first time Magisk is in control, the Manager will say something like "need to do some more setup". THIS is the sign that you have succeeded: You managed to install Magisk, and you managed to trigger it.

This has all been covered, repeatedly. In @topjohnwu 's installation notes. In posts in this (or maybe one of the related) thread. It will be a relatively early post.

UPDATE: I just read a post in the Magisk thread that says (since version 16) Magisk checks for a copy of the Manager and, if necessary, installs a stub. So maybe if you boot and don't find a Magisk Manager app, that *is* a clear sign that you have not triggered Magisk. But if you install the app once (after wiping data), you won't need to install it again, no matter how many times you reboot trying to hit the sweet spot.
The whole purpose of replacing the vbmeta is to MAKE it fail. If it didn't fail, you'd only be able to flash "official" stock images. It is the part of the boot process that checks to make sure the ROM is "official".

themace51

Aug 22, 2020
Hey thanks for the information.

I have tried so many times, but still does not work.
I have wiped straight after odin flashes
I have tried to do the magisk recovery, no magisk when loaded.

I guess i am doing something wrong, but thanks for the help :)

If only the blank screen TWRP was fixed :(

themace51

Aug 22, 2020
Update

I have a feeling the firmware is not flashing with the patched AP.

I installed the firmware, and debloated many apps as i gave up trying to root

I decided to have a few more tries trying to root.

I installed the firmware with magisk patched files (success with odin). I do a wipe/reformat. Tried to start the tablet with magisk recovery, loaded up android.

No magisk and also the apps that i disabled, are still disabled.

Tried again, Odin flash - success , recovery - wipe/reset - let android load up - apps still missing

I then tried to flash the original firmware without the magisk patch. Odin flash - success, recovery - wipe/reset - let android load up - all apps are back

Maybe this is why magisk is not working? But if i am getting success with odin, why is not flashing?

So confused.

Reick7

Atualizar

Tenho a sensação de que o firmware não está piscando com o AP corrigido.

Eu instalei o firmware e destruí muitos aplicativos, pois desisti de tentar fazer o root

Decidi fazer mais algumas tentativas de root.

Instalei o firmware com arquivos corrigidos do Magisk (sucesso com o odin). Eu faço uma limpeza / reformatação. Tentei iniciar o tablet com recuperação magisk, carregado android.

Nenhum magisk e também os aplicativos que desabilitei, ainda estão desabilitados.

Tentei novamente, Odin flash - sucesso, recuperação - limpar / redefinir - deixar o Android carregar - aplicativos ainda ausentes

Em seguida, tentei fazer o flash do firmware original sem o patch magisk. Odin flash - sucesso, recuperação - limpar / redefinir - deixar o Android carregar - todos os aplicativos estão de volta

Talvez seja por isso que o magisk não está funcionando? Mas se estou tendo sucesso com o odin, por que não está piscando?

Muito confuso.

Update

I have a feeling the firmware is not flashing with the patched AP.

I installed the firmware, and debloated many apps as i gave up trying to root

I decided to have a few more tries trying to root.

I installed the firmware with magisk patched files (success with odin). I do a wipe/reformat. Tried to start the tablet with magisk recovery, loaded up android.

No magisk and also the apps that i disabled, are still disabled.

Tried again, Odin flash - success , recovery - wipe/reset - let android load up - apps still missing

I then tried to flash the original firmware without the magisk patch. Odin flash - success, recovery - wipe/reset - let android load up - all apps are back

Maybe this is why magisk is not working? But if i am getting success with odin, why is not flashing?

So confused.
really confusing, but from what you said, maybe you started without magisk, this is possible because magisk is initially installed on the recovery partition, as far as I know, that's why that it's interesting to put the TWRP to root

themace51

Aug 22, 2020
More updates

I tried to downgrade to T290XXS3ATF1 which worked but blank screen like Twrp
I then flashed -T290XXU3BUC1- which worked and had my screen back.
I then extracted the files for magisk and packed in tar with the other l4z files.
Flashed and Odin (modded) failed :(
So now I am at an even more loss :(

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
More updates

I tried to downgrade to T290XXS3ATF1 which worked but blank screen like Twrp
I then flashed -T290XXU3BUC1- which worked and had my screen back.
I then extracted the files for magisk and packed in tar with the other l4z files.
Flashed and Odin (modded) failed :(
So now I am at an even more loss :(
What "other lz4 files"?
What do you mean "Odin (modded) failed"?

themace51

Aug 22, 2020
Hey

A guide explained to extract boot, recovery . vbmeta and put them in a tar and patch them with magisk. Then to add those 3 files with dtbo.img, modem.bin.lz4, vendor.img.ex4.lz4 etc etc and compress them to tar after padding them and use this as the new AP to flash with odin. When i do it like this, Odin failed.

I have tried to patch the original AP with magisk but that fails with Secure check fail : recovery.img

I tried to add just the boot, recovery, vbmeta (compressed to tar), but again that fails

Odin Patched, is on this thread, but saying that, i have used the patched and also the normal odin but still the same results.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tried all versions of Magisk, including the version CANARY 20.4 (20303) | 7.5.2 (272) (7).
    But none of them work :(
    And to restore the device,it is enough to flash the current firmware, or even 3 files are enough: boot;recovery;vbmeta, pulling them out of the AP part of the firmware ...
    No one wants to deal with our device... :(

I just rooted my SM-T290 with firmware version T290XXU2ASL3, using Magisk 20.3. It's been stable for a couple of days now. Here's a link to my patched Magiskmodpatched.tar file.

Problems included a lot of links that led me to the wrong firmware, an SL4 version that was a Kids ROM for the SM-T290. Another thing that caused problems was zipping the whole .tar archive back up with the patched boot.img, recovery.img, and vbmeta.img files plus all the original extraneous little lz4 files. It didn't root successfully until I simplified the patched AP file to contain just the 3 compressed image files.
    I want to root this tab just so that I can provide signature level permissions to sideloaded apps to make them work (As this tablet has stupid One UI Core, no Good lock modules or Bixby apps work).
    Is there a way to provide them signature level permissions or convert them to system apps without root? Can we do that in Twrp by moving .apk files to /system privileged without root? If it is possible just by Twrp and works well then there is no reason for me to root my device.
    You can only install TWRP and not get Root rights. But you still need to change the bootloader to the one taken from android 9 and the patched vbmeta file ... You will also need to make format data and install the Fix_vendor_10 patch from TWRP to access memory ...
    The clarification! when installing TWRP, you must patch the stock kernel, because otherwise the built-in protection will not allow you to boot,there will be a bootloop :( For the kernel patch, you need to apply Magisk.zip, that is, you will have to root it... ;)
    And most importantly, a quote from a knowledgeable user:Waseeam,:
    There are no solutions and no matter what was bought - a tablet or a phone, if it's a version of Core that is not one third-party app stock or modified will not work - ie after the installation of the system will be notified that the application is not compatible with the device and you can install only two apps not galaxy store and google play is a calculator and galaxy store and all other apps can be installed or upgraded only in galaxy store and google play.
    I have root on my SM-T295 A8 tablet!!

Attached boot.tar file is for XXU2ASL3 only.

T295_Magisk-Boot.img.tar

Okay, after multiple failed attempts, I read about a method to root my T295. It did not work!! But, I decided to just use Magisk Manager on the boot.img file only. The resultant file would not flash - it will fail. The original boot.img file is 65,536K bytes. I had to take the Magisk modified boot.img and overlay it onto the original boot.ing file. Then the file would flash successfully. The first thing after booting was to check Magisk Manager. It showed I have Magisk 20.3 installed. So, I tested this with Root Explorer. I did have root!!

If you are going to try this, you need to unlock your boot loader, I think. I have not tried this with a locked bootloader.
    Ok i got twrp and magisk running on android 10. SMT290

you need twrp file that @gcrutchr provided here and the abootvkT290XXS3ATF1 file @Talich52 provided
    1:boot to download mode
    2: flash the abootvk file @Talich52 provided
    3:reboot
    4:boot to download mode
    5:inside odin go to options, and untick "auto reboot"
    6:flash the twrp file
    7: dont reboot or shut down
    8: after flashing twrp press and hold power + volume up
    9:when it goes to the "this tablets bootloader is unlocked screen" (it comes up every boot if you have unlocked bootloader, which is needed for rooting)
    press the power button once to dismiss the warning and press and hold power + volume up for two seconds then leave
    10: you should be in twrp now
    11:it is defaulted to russian language for some reason find the language button ( usually bottom right above the slide bar)
    you can use google translate on other phone to check for it
    12: now you can flash magisk that @gcrutchr provided in the post i mentioned above
    NOTE: if you reboot after flashing twrp without opening twrp for first time, it will be removed and you'll have to flash again.
    (sorry for bad english, im not good with explaining things)
    Btw, where can I find twrp compatible with this tablet
    Somewhere laid out in the subject ...
    I will attach an option for installation via ODIN:
    I won't tell you about custom ... I prefer a rooted stock firmware with a slight modification ...