Root for SM-T290 (tab a 8.0 2019)

Search This thread

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Hey

A guide explained to extract boot, recovery . vbmeta and put them in a tar and patch them with magisk. Then to add those 3 files with dtbo.img, modem.bin.lz4, vendor.img.ex4.lz4 etc etc and compress them to tar after padding them and use this as the new AP to flash with odin. When i do it like this, Odin failed.

I have tried to patch the original AP with magisk but that fails with Secure check fail : recovery.img

I tried to add just the boot, recovery, vbmeta (compressed to tar), but again that fails

Odin Patched, is on this thread, but saying that, i have used the patched and also the normal odin but still the same results.

What guide talks about dtbo.img, modem.bin.lz4, vendor.img.ex4.lz4? (Your post is the only mention of dtbo.img in this thread.)

I think if you have flashed the full, unmodified, AP.tar, then to install Magisk you only need boot,recovery,vbmeta in a tar that gets patched.

Have you read the last 200 posts in this thread? (You should also check the T295 thread.)

themace51

Aug 22, 2020
Hello
I think if you have flashed the full, unmodified, AP.tar, then to install Magisk you only need boot,recovery,vbmeta in a tar that gets patched.
I have done it this way as well, and that fails with odin too.

Have you read the last 200 posts in this thread? (You should also check the T295 thread.)
I have :( hence the different methods i have tried.

What guide talks about dtbo.img, modem.bin.lz4, vendor.img.ex4.lz4? (Your post is the only mention of dtbo.img in this thread.)
After failing and failing , i tried the very first post of this

as TWRP does not work for thi tablet due to blank screen

The images below are example of using just the boot, recovery and vbmeta in a tar
odin1.jpg
odin2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: J.Michael

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
Hello

The images below are example of using just the boot, recovery and vbmeta in a tar
View attachment 5375951View attachment 5375953
To root the T290XXU3BUC1 firmware, use the attached files. Select files as parts of BL & AP . after the firmware, update or install the Magisk Manager. apk of the current version and update the Root rights from it...
P.S. The first file is the loader of android 9,without it it is impossible to root android 10 and 11...
Zip files pre-unpack to tar

Attachments

• aboot_vk_T290XXS3ATF1.tar.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 426
  • Root_T290XXU3BUC1_M22.0.tar.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 597
Last edited:

themace51

Aug 22, 2020
Hello

Thank you for the files, but afraid this does not work, it does succeed, but i get the blank screen bug like with TWRP :(

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Hello

View attachment 5375951View attachment 5375953
I'm losing track. Have you confirmed that your system version is low enough for you to have any hope of flashing modified files?

If you cannot flash the unmodified stock ROM files, you need to start there. You need to be able to do this to recover from mistakes. You should be able to do this even if you have not unlocked your bootloader. If you cannot do this, either you have some other problem (bad USB port or cable; corrupted file; I don't know what else), or you are misinterpreting something and the Odin step is actually succeeding.

My first test was flashing a stock ROM for another language: when Android booted and displayed another language, I finally believed Odin was really downloading and the bootloader (or the download mode) was accepting what had been downloaded by Odin and burning it to my tablet. At that point I burned the English ROM and believed I would be able to do it again when needed.

That "first post" you cited has to be read carefully. It is an amalgam of the true first post, and at least one update with more recent developments. The instructions you need to follow are not necessarily the last unstructions in that post.

themace51

Aug 22, 2020
Hey

I think the problem is that if I put android 9 bootloader or twrp , I get the blank screen bug that has been mentioned before.

Seeing as I have bootloader v3 and android 10 , thought it was possible to root, but I think the blank screen is stopping it, even thought it works but with no screen. I can load into twrp and flash a custom ROM with adb but just can not see anything on the screen :(

J.Michael sorry if I have confused you.

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Hey

I think the problem is that if I put android 9 bootloader or twrp , I get the blank screen bug that has been mentioned before.

Seeing as I have bootloader v3 and android 10 , thought it was possible to root, but I think the blank screen is stopping it, even thought it works but with no screen. I can load into twrp and flash a custom ROM with adb but just can not see anything on the screen :(

J.Michael sorry if I have confused you.
What firmware do you have when the screen is working? At least once you said you have firmware T290KOO3BUE2/.

Is the blank screen only when you run TWRP? Does the Android system boot and display, even though the TWRP will not display?

themace51

Aug 22, 2020
T290KOO3BUE2 screen working
T290XXU3BUC1 Screen working (it is currently on this one atm)
It seems anything that has Android 9 e.g. S3ATF1 And TWRP, no screen. The moment reboot , blank screen. I can guess going into twrp and using adb. I can load into android but no screen, as i hear the sound notifications. No splash screen , no warning, no nothing. Just blank screen with backlight on.

Last edited:

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
@Talich52, do you think @themace51 could use the firmware you posted for @92millmac?
The stock firmware can be any, but for this model ... You can install and try to root, but I recommend starting not with changing the firmware, but installing the bootloader file from the 9 android aboot_vk_T290XXS3ATF1.tar, posted above.
If there will be no image on the screen, which means that Root-rights cannot be obtained on this device :(
I suppose the problem is in a faulty display, more precisely modified and working only with the current firmware ...

Last edited:

Languor

Jan 26, 2014
im really hoping someone can help me fix what i just did....

in odin, i selected erase nand and flashed the factory android 11 files..... now my tablet hangs on samsung logo and reboots now and then...

a search told me i need to repartition with a .pit file? it says it can be found in the csc file.... but i dont find it there.....

my tablet is the canada version i think, 32 gb

edit: so i finally fixed it after some digging and i want t share in case one of you get stuck like i did.

in odin, i added the ap, bl, csc, and cp files (i kept the bottom field empty). i checked nand erase and re-partition. i went to the pit tab and selected the pit file i got from the web, (full-repair-firmware dot com)

and it now is booted up.

Last edited:

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
im really hoping someone can help me fix what i just did....

in odin, i selected erase nand and flashed the factory android 11 files..... now my tablet hangs on samsung logo and reboots now and then...

a search told me i need to repartition with a .pit file? it says it can be found in the csc file.... but i dont find it there.....

my tablet is the canada version i think, 32 gb

edit: so i finally fixed it after some digging and i want t share in case one of you get stuck like i did.

in odin, i added the ap, bl, csc, and cp files (i kept the bottom field empty). i checked nand erase and re-partition. i went to the pit tab and selected the pit file i got from the web, (full-repair-firmware dot com)

and it now is booted up.
After applying Nand Erase All, sometimes the device does not boot and you need to go to recovery and perform wipe data. In fact, format data and format cache are made, after which the device will boot :)

Viggen66

Mar 22, 2009
@aaytar , @Viggen66
What version of stock did you have when you bought the tablet? If it was Android 9, you may be able to reinstall Android 9 stock, let it go online and re-register, and go from there. (I had to do that at one point.) If it was Android 10, I'm sorry, I can't help with that.

My T290 came with Android 10, if I'm not mistaken, Spanish tablet, it has the black screen whenever I want to unlock the tablet, now even OEM unlock doesn't appear, and don't know how to revert it.

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
Michael,

Yes if I flash stock rom that came with the tablet, the screen is back again.
And if you flash another firmware, but also a stock one? Has the tablet been updated and successful? Or just sit on the original firmware? ;)
Most interestingly, is it possible to install firmware 9 of an android type T290XXS3ATF1, that is, with the same version 3 of the bootloader? In general, this is allowed, we do not downgrade the version bootloader ...
If the Android 9 firmware is installed and works, then the device can be rooted. If there is no image on Android 9 either, I suppose the device should be returned under warranty, as with a faulty display or board ...

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2010
To root the T290XXU3BUC1 firmware, use the attached files. Select files as parts of BL & AP . after the firmware, update or install the Magisk Manager. apk of the current version and update the Root rights from it...
P.S. The first file is the loader of android 9,without it it is impossible to root android 10 and 11...
Zip files pre-unpack to tar
Guys help!
I flashed these files and now i get this message when i turn on the tablet
1638967782991.png
1638967808819.png

any help would be appreciated!
How can i fix this?
I just wanted to install TWRP (which worked) and then root my tablet (sm-t290)

Talich52

Dec 24, 2010
Guys help!
I flashed these files and now i get this message when i turn on the tablet
View attachment 5477647 View attachment 5477649
any help would be appreciated!
How can i fix this?
I just wanted to install TWRP (which worked) and then root my tablet (sm-t290)
We see KG Status: Prenormal and at the same time you can install only stock files. I believe this happened after filling TWRP and logging in. You can not do this, immediately after filling the TWRP file, you need to log in to it and install Magisk.zip to patch the kernel and disable lock protection. Only after applying the patch to disable memory encryption and applying Magisk.zip , you can upload to the system. Now you need to flash the current stock firmware to get the KS Status: Checking status and then put TWRP and Root rights again.

Dec 23, 2010
We see KG Status: Prenormal and at the same time you can install only stock files. I believe this happened after filling TWRP and logging in. You can not do this, immediately after filling the TWRP file, you need to log in to it and install Magisk.zip to patch the kernel and disable lock protection. Only after applying the patch to disable memory encryption and applying Magisk.zip , you can upload to the system. Now you need to flash the current stock firmware to get the KS Status: Checking status and then put TWRP and Root rights again.
ok thank you very much. I am trying to find the stock rom but i cant find it anywhere. Can you help me? (Greek model if that helps)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tried all versions of Magisk, including the version CANARY 20.4 (20303) | 7.5.2 (272) (7).
    But none of them work :(
    And to restore the device,it is enough to flash the current firmware, or even 3 files are enough: boot;recovery;vbmeta, pulling them out of the AP part of the firmware ...
    No one wants to deal with our device... :(

I just rooted my SM-T290 with firmware version T290XXU2ASL3, using Magisk 20.3. It's been stable for a couple of days now. Here's a link to my patched Magiskmodpatched.tar file.

Problems included a lot of links that led me to the wrong firmware, an SL4 version that was a Kids ROM for the SM-T290. Another thing that caused problems was zipping the whole .tar archive back up with the patched boot.img, recovery.img, and vbmeta.img files plus all the original extraneous little lz4 files. It didn't root successfully until I simplified the patched AP file to contain just the 3 compressed image files.
    Btw, where can I find twrp compatible with this tablet
    Somewhere laid out in the subject ...
    I will attach an option for installation via ODIN:
    I won't tell you about custom ... I prefer a rooted stock firmware with a slight modification ...
    I want to root this tab just so that I can provide signature level permissions to sideloaded apps to make them work (As this tablet has stupid One UI Core, no Good lock modules or Bixby apps work).
    Is there a way to provide them signature level permissions or convert them to system apps without root? Can we do that in Twrp by moving .apk files to /system privileged without root? If it is possible just by Twrp and works well then there is no reason for me to root my device.
    You can only install TWRP and not get Root rights. But you still need to change the bootloader to the one taken from android 9 and the patched vbmeta file ... You will also need to make format data and install the Fix_vendor_10 patch from TWRP to access memory ...
    The clarification! when installing TWRP, you must patch the stock kernel, because otherwise the built-in protection will not allow you to boot,there will be a bootloop :( For the kernel patch, you need to apply Magisk.zip, that is, you will have to root it... ;)
    And most importantly, a quote from a knowledgeable user:Waseeam,:
    There are no solutions and no matter what was bought - a tablet or a phone, if it's a version of Core that is not one third-party app stock or modified will not work - ie after the installation of the system will be notified that the application is not compatible with the device and you can install only two apps not galaxy store and google play is a calculator and galaxy store and all other apps can be installed or upgraded only in galaxy store and google play.
    I have root on my SM-T295 A8 tablet!!

Attached boot.tar file is for XXU2ASL3 only.

T295_Magisk-Boot.img.tar

Okay, after multiple failed attempts, I read about a method to root my T295. It did not work!! But, I decided to just use Magisk Manager on the boot.img file only. The resultant file would not flash - it will fail. The original boot.img file is 65,536K bytes. I had to take the Magisk modified boot.img and overlay it onto the original boot.ing file. Then the file would flash successfully. The first thing after booting was to check Magisk Manager. It showed I have Magisk 20.3 installed. So, I tested this with Root Explorer. I did have root!!

If you are going to try this, you need to unlock your boot loader, I think. I have not tried this with a locked bootloader.
    Ok i got twrp and magisk running on android 10. SMT290

you need twrp file that @gcrutchr provided here and the abootvkT290XXS3ATF1 file @Talich52 provided
    1:boot to download mode
    2: flash the abootvk file @Talich52 provided
    3:reboot
    4:boot to download mode
    5:inside odin go to options, and untick "auto reboot"
    6:flash the twrp file
    7: dont reboot or shut down
    8: after flashing twrp press and hold power + volume up
    9:when it goes to the "this tablets bootloader is unlocked screen" (it comes up every boot if you have unlocked bootloader, which is needed for rooting)
    press the power button once to dismiss the warning and press and hold power + volume up for two seconds then leave
    10: you should be in twrp now
    11:it is defaulted to russian language for some reason find the language button ( usually bottom right above the slide bar)
    you can use google translate on other phone to check for it
    12: now you can flash magisk that @gcrutchr provided in the post i mentioned above
    NOTE: if you reboot after flashing twrp without opening twrp for first time, it will be removed and you'll have to flash again.
    (sorry for bad english, im not good with explaining things)