• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root for Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact SGP611 *WORK IN PROGRESS*

Search This thread

ultima888

Jun 2, 2010
Actually what will we lose by losing the drm keys? I know Z3 the phone will lose some function with the camera, but the Z3 tablet camera is different isn't it?

jaime4272

Jul 26, 2008
Earth
Okay. For those who have unlocked the bootloader have any of you encounter any issues with anything. Please share any warning or concerns so we know.

seljean

Jan 15, 2009
Have made root but still have \xbin unavailible and cannot install busybox and sd fix.
SD Fix error message: Update failed, platform.xml could not be updated

jaime4272

Jul 26, 2008
Earth
What about exposed and gravity box module's customizing stock rom is my main goal besides hacking games and apps

Bladeinger

Nov 22, 2010
Also here mostly everything is ok with the unlocked and rooted SGP621. Can't install BusyBox by Stericson. Titanium Backup and Xplore File Manager with Root-Access working fine. Now waiting for a full-functional TWRP with graphical interface.

Many thanks to ejdan and eman2001!

ejdan

Nov 8, 2014
Göteborg
Have made root but still have \xbin unavailible and cannot install busybox and sd fix.
SD Fix error message: Update failed, platform.xml could not be updated

What about exposed and gravity box module's customizing stock rom is my main goal besides hacking games and apps

Also here mostly everything is ok with the unlocked and rooted SGP621. Can't install BusyBox by Stericson. Titanium Backup and Xplore File Manager with Root-Access working fine. Now waiting for a full-functional TWRP with graphical interface.

Many thanks to ejdan and eman2001!

I can not mount /system as rw so this prevents making any modifications to the system partition. This means that for example busybox install will fail. Any modifications to system must be done using the TWRP recovery I posted.

Xposed works fine for me after installing the framework from TWRP. Not all module works but I suppose they are not made for Xperia or 4.4.4. Here are some of the modules I use:
No Lock Home, KitKat SD Card Full Access, CpuTemp in Statusbar, YouTube AdAway.

jaime4272

Jul 26, 2008
Earth
we need to get it together guys we need to communicate on how to do it the right way who aver has done it right and it's working share it and guide us on how to do it The right way.

seljean

Jan 15, 2009
Xposed works fine for me after installing the framework from TWRP.
Could you give us a link to Xposed Framework .zip you've flashed via TWRP please? I've installed 2.6.1 apk from Google Play, but
it needs latest version of framework to be installed (Install/Update apk function doesn't work, it must be installed via TWRP, but I didn't find 2.6.1 .zip)

UPD Got it, have to change framework installation way from menu ))

Last edited:

eman2001

Oct 2, 2012
London
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Having root and yet still not been able to wirte to sd card or move apps to sd card :( we need to find a way to fix this as this is one of the main reasons of having root, maybe we need a proper CWM or TWRP to flash root properly because none of my rooted apps that uses SD card works it says failed example Foldermount

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011

eman2001

Oct 2, 2012
London
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6

Attachments

• 20141130_115307.jpg
    20141130_115307.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 386
  • 20141130_115319.jpg
    20141130_115319.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 374

ejdan

Nov 8, 2014
Göteborg
It should be possible to install Xposed framework and updates to SuperSU using the TWRP image I posted earlier.

For Xposed:
  1. In Xposed installer app, select Framework and set installation mode to "Recovery (flash zip automatically)".
  2. Press "Install/Update" but do not press ok at "Do you want to reboot to recovery now?"
  3. Connect USB and run adb reboot bootloader followed by fastboot boot twrp.img
  4. Wait for tablet to boot to TWRP, install the zip automatically and then reboot.

It is possible to install updates to SuperSU in a similar way.

jaime4272

Jul 26, 2008
Earth
Z3TC did you get yours yet

Btw it's better to compile twrp from source for Z3 Tablet :)

Because I saw there is literally no one (well known devs) in here yet.. But good news guys,
I'm getting a Z3 Tablet Compact ;) so cm etc are coming to you guys

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Free mobile app
Hey Krab did you get your tablet yet we your help. We need root without unlocking the bootloader :confused:

krabappel2548

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2011
Lommel
Hey Krab did you get your tablet yet we your help. We need root without unlocking the bootloader :confused:

Yes, but I unlocked it already so won't work on locked root solution. I'm gonna try compile cm12 after work tonight ;) already prepared a device tree :)

I got the wifi model btw, not the LTE one. I wouldn't use it so waste of money

Reactions: jvw and eman2001

ejdan

Nov 8, 2014
Göteborg
Yes, but I unlocked it already so won't work on locked root solution. I'm gonna try compile cm12 after work tonight ;) already prepared a device tree :)

I got the wifi model btw, not the LTE one. I wouldn't use it so waste of money

I have also the SGP611 Wifi version. Looking at the kernel configs there is not much difference between the wifi and LTE versions:

Code:
Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact SGP621/SGP641 => shinano_scorpion_defconfig
CONFIG_MACH_SONY_SCORPION=y
CONFIG_AD7146=y

Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact SGP611/SGP612 => shinano_scorpion_windy_defconfig
CONFIG_MACH_SONY_SCORPION_WINDY=y 
CONFIG_ISDBT_TUNER_SMTEJ12X=y

The LTE version has CONFIG_AD7146=y which seems to be a CapTouch controller for capacitive buttons (not touchscreen) but there are none on the device.

The wifi version has CONFIG_ISDBT_TUNER_SMTEJ12X=y which is a Japanese terrestrial TV receiver. I suspect this is an accessory that connects to the USB port.

There may be more differences in the DTB but I am not familiar with how that works.

eman2001

Oct 2, 2012
London
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I can not mount /system as rw so this prevents making any modifications to the system partition. This means that for example busybox install will fail. Any modifications to system must be done using the TWRP recovery I posted.

Xposed works fine for me after installing the framework from TWRP. Not all module works but I suppose they are not made for Xperia or 4.4.4. Here are some of the modules I use:
No Lock Home, KitKat SD Card Full Access, CpuTemp in Statusbar, YouTube AdAway.

It should be possible to install Xposed framework and updates to SuperSU using the TWRP image I posted earlier.

For Xposed:
In Xposed installer app, select Framework and set installation mode to "Recovery (flash zip automatically)".
Press "Install/Update" but do not press ok at "Do you want to reboot to recovery now?"
Connect USB and run adb reboot bootloader followed by fastboot boot twrp.img
Wait for tablet to boot to TWRP, install the zip automatically and then reboot.

It is possible to install updates to SuperSU in a similar way.

Once again thanks Ejdan, I can now move my games to Sd card via folder mount using Kikkat SD Full Access after updating my framework through your TWRP guide, that was one of the main reasons why i wanted root but am still hoping for a proper TWRP/CWM or even a custom rom :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OBSOLETE! There are now better ways to root using a proper kernel and TWRP. Please follow this guide instead
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-tablet-compact/general/adb-fastboot-drivers-tutorial-t2980529

I am working on root for the stock rom on SGP611 with unlocked bootloader.

So far I have managed to get R/W access to /system and make permanent changes. I have installed an su binary but it is not working properly which I believe is because of selinux restrictions. I can become root in ADB and mount /system writable but apps requiring root fails.

I have not tried to build a custom recovery so installing normal flashable zips is not possible.

This is what I did so far:
    1. Get the firmware files using PC Companion
    2. Extract the kernel using Flashtool and split it into kernel, ramdisk and dtb
    3. Extract the ramdisk
    4. Replace adbd with an insecure version
    5. Change fstab.qcom som /system is mounted rw
    6. Reassemble the boot.img using mkbootimg
      Code:
      mkbootimg --cmdline "androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0xb7 ehci-hcd.park=3 dwc3.maximum_speed=high dwc3_msm.prop_chg_detect=Y" \
      --base 0x00000000 --kernel kernel_S1-SW-LIVE-9C84-PID1-0006-MMC.elf.Image --ramdisk ramdisk-insecure.img.gz \
      --ramdisk_offset 0x02000000 -o boot.img --dt kernel_S1-SW-LIVE-9C84-PID1-0006-MMC.elf.3 --tags_offset 0x01E00000
    7. Unlock bootloader (I selected Z3 on the Sony unlock web page). YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED SO MAKE A BACKUP FIRST! DRM keys will be removed which may affect funtionality and can affect the second hand value of your tablet. You have been warned!
    8. Boot the insecure image with fastboot
      Code:
      fastboot-toolkit.exe boot \temp\insecure-kernel\z3tc-sgp611-insecure.img
    9. Tablet boots but screen is not working.
    10. Connect with ADB with root and /system rw. Now it is possible to push files to /system

Attached is my modified kernel image. I have not tried to flash it but only booted it from fastboot.

I am now asking for help installing a proper su (su daemon?) and tips for building a custom recovery.
    Please feel free to move this thread to a development forum but I am not allowed to post there.
    Instructions for rooting Z3TC with unlocked bootloader

Root for unlocked bootloader
    Sony Z3 Tablet Compact Wifi SGP611 firmware 23.0.1.A.0.167

Step by step installation:
    1. Make sure that you have ADB installed and it is working before you proceed. Your PC should be authorized (connect once and press ok on the tablet.)
    2. Reboot to fastboot and unlock bootloader. Follow the instructions here
      http://developer.sonymobile.com/unlockbootloader/unlock-yourboot-loader/
      and select Xperia Z3 if Tablet Compact is not available.
      WARNING! YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED WHEN UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER. MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A BACKUP. DRM keys will be removed which may affect functionality and can affect the second hand value of your tablet. You have been warned!
    3. Boot the included kernel image. This will not flash a new kernel, only load it to RAM and boot it
      Code:
      fastboot boot z3tc-sgp611-insecure.img
    4. Wait for the tablet to boot. NOTHING WILL BE SHOWN ON SCREEN, THE DISPLAY IS
      DARK.
    5. Run the following commands to push files to the tablet:
      Code:
         adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.16.zip /tmp
         adb push busybox /tmp
         adb push install-supersu.sh /tmp
    6. Start an ADB shell. You should get a root prompt #
      Code:
         adb shell
    7. In ADB shell, run the script to install supersu. A number of error messages
      about missing files will be shown but it is normal.
      Code:
         # cd /tmp
         # /system/bin/sh install-supersu.sh
    8. Reboot tablet and enjoy root!
      Code:
         # reboot
    Advanced stock kernel is released: Advanced Stock for Z3TC :)

I'm also uploading SGP611 FTF and deodex patch :p
    CM12.0 is compiled, and I'll test it in a minute ;)

Edit: cm didn't fully boot. Will try to fix asap
    What happens if you do 'adb shell'? Do you get a root prompt (#) ?

You could also try my new boot image with TWRP, see a few posts back.

Btw it's better to compile twrp from source for Z3 Tablet :)

Because I saw there is literally no one (well known devs) in here yet.. But good news guys,
    I'm getting a Z3 Tablet Compact ;) so cm etc are coming to you guys

I already PM doomlord asking for help about two weeks ago no reply :(

Doomlord is busy with his private life ;)
    Cm is almost compiled :) I'll also make a stock kernel with recovery and full root this week :)

Sent from my SGP611 using XDA Free mobile app