Root for your TELUS fascinate!

Search This thread

0mega1

Mar 11, 2008
Hamilton
DONE.

All it took was a quick script rewrite in notepad. and it SHOULD work with both Canadian galaxies :)

I don't know who packaged this, but my quick edit means simple root.

Hold VOL + & - + Power for recovery
Install attatched update.zip
Cheer, because you have the first rooted (REPORTED!) Galaxy S Fascinate on telus :)

And, PM me props. that would be coo'

Anyway, File and a screenshot. Pretty simple guys :)

About damn time I found a way to give back to the

[edit] Shell reports su, must ask for it manually. Meh :)

Attachments

• _MG_0768.jpg
    _MG_0768.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 972
  • update.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,634
Last edited:

fallingup

Mar 21, 2006
New Mexico
DONE.

All it took was a quick script rewrite in notepad. and it SHOULD work with both Canadian galaxies :)

Cheer, because you have the first rooted (REPORTED!) Galaxy S Fascinate on telus :)

About damn time I found a way to give back to the community.

[edit] Shell reports $ :( BUT ALL SU APPS APPEAR TO WORK.

So does the update.zip actually install or does it complain about signatures?
To get # in the shell you need to type 'su'
Just because a "root" app runs doesnt mean you have root either.

0mega1

Mar 11, 2008
Hamilton
J

Sorry, forgot that step. Su in terminal is working now. Just have to do it manually.

yes it installs without errors. I literally just rewrote the updater.script to include the sgh-t959d and installed it on my device.

Reactions: Rabid_Gypsy

0mega1

Mar 11, 2008
Hamilton
If a REAL developer sees this and wants to start working on things for this phone (roms, whatever. ) and need nandroid dumps/ OS dumps, lemme know what to do.

Clockwork recovery works perfectly so :)

fallingup

Mar 21, 2006
New Mexico
If a REAL developer sees this and wants to start working on things for this phone (roms, whatever. ) and need nandroid dumps/ OS dumps, lemme know what to do.

Clockwork recovery works perfectly so :)

If you know your way around odin, you can make a back up of your kernel image by doing this from your device:

Code:
[FONT=Verdana]# dd if=/dev/block/bml8 of=/sdcard/recovery bs=4096
[FONT=Verdana]# dd if=/dev/block/bml7 of=/sdcard/zImage bs=4096[/FONT]
[/FONT]
You can then copy both from your sdcard onto your computer. Now you will need a linux box or cygwin to package the files we just pulled into odin files:

Code:
tar -H ustar -c /path/to/zImage > USCC-stock-kernel.tar

Then try flashing one of jt1134's kernels just to test and see if they work on your device, i dont know why they wouldnt.

Last edited:

wwowz

Nov 19, 2010
sorry im noob at this...

so the update.zip for telus fascinate works??? or no :(

Do i just insert the file to my sdcard and update it through recovery console?

please help me :((((((

thx

ladang0712

Nov 22, 2010
I keep getting an error that says "in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7) installation aborted. HELP!!! Thanks so much

cipherruse

Nov 24, 2010
Getting the same error/installation aborted message.

What does this mean?
Shell reports su, must ask for it manually.​

kfernandes29

Dec 13, 2006
I need some serious help. I bricked my phone with a lousy Clockword Mod file in Odin. I need the stock Telus Restore image. So far I can only find the Vibrant i-9000 and Verizon t500 stock files. Someone please help me! :-(

kfernandes29

Dec 13, 2006
GREAT! I thought I had found a Telus Fascinate Image.....turns out with was an ATT Captivate image and now I can't even get into recovery or download mode. ADB wont work either because the phone just starts up with the ATT splash screen n loops with reboots. Is my phone dead? $100 to anyone that can get this working again. PLEASE!

0mega1

Mar 11, 2008
Hamilton
Getting the same error/installation aborted message.

What does this mean?
Shell reports su, must ask for it manually.​
Are you putting the update on the internal or external SD?

Sorry but how do you ask for it manually??
in terminal / adb shell type 'su' without the quotes ;)
I keep getting an error that says "in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7) installation aborted. HELP!!! Thanks so much

Internal or external SD?

Also, Apparently Z4Root works, but I never knew about it so I did this. Try that too.

Still need a forum for this bad boy.

I vote it get's called the fascibrant, Because it's NOT a T-Mo vibrant (Different radio) and it sure as hell isn't a fascinate. (different... everything. )

myxdan

Aug 29, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah, I'm thinking about picking up a Telus Fascinate. Although it would be niche community for roms yes? As far as I know Telus is the only carrier to have this specific device... I currently have a desire, and there's plenty to do with that phone. I'm just a bit worried even with root access, there will be a limit to the phones capability still.
All that aside, YES, we do need a forum specific to this rare beast.

times_infinity

GREAT! I thought I had found a Telus Fascinate Image.....turns out with was an ATT Captivate image and now I can't even get into recovery or download mode. ADB wont work either because the phone just starts up with the ATT splash screen n loops with reboots. Is my phone dead? $100 to anyone that can get this working again. PLEASE!

The first rule of anything rom or recovery or kernel related for ANY of the Galaxy S phones is. DO NOT FLASH ANY ROM OF ANY GALAXY S VARIANT BUT THE ONE YOU HAVE OR YOU WILL HAVE A BRICK! So yeah. You most likely broke your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

a2000rick

Feb 21, 2008
The first rule of anything rom or recovery or kernel related for ANY of the Galaxy S phones is. DO NOT FLASH ANY ROM OF ANY GALAXY S VARIANT BUT THE ONE YOU HAVE OR YOU WILL HAVE A BRICK! So yeah. You most likely broke your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

so there is no hope for the guy? isn't there some low level way to flash? JTAG?

wwowz

Nov 19, 2010
we seriously need a forum for telus fascinate... :( I have rooted my device to install OCLF but i reallllyyy want to try other things...

p.s. does anyone know how to voodoo telus fascinate?? Thanks!

0mega1

Mar 11, 2008
Hamilton
we seriously need a forum for telus fascinate... :( I have rooted my device to install OCLF but i reallllyyy want to try other things...

p.s. does anyone know how to voodoo telus fascinate?? Thanks!

I'm dying waiting for a forum.

It's kinda frustrating.

Stupid Telus and their fancy rebranding with different innards...

wwowz

Nov 19, 2010
I'm dying waiting for a forum.

It's kinda frustrating.

Stupid Telus and their fancy rebranding with different innards...

True.. even tho its called Fascinate.. its not actually THE fascinate...

In fact the model number is more similar to vibrant than fascinate

(T959 =vibrant T959D =telus "fascinate")

Yesterday I bought invisibleshield by zagg for samsung fascinate and guess what

it doesn't fit!! Samsung tweaked the model designfrom the original

fascinate. surprise surprise.......

I am desperately waiting custom roms to be developed for telus "fascinate"

so that I can remove this old 2.1 :( Telus fascinate getting froyo update early

Jan, but I can't wait :(((

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DONE.

About damn time I found a way to give back to the

[edit] Shell reports su, must ask for it manually. Meh :)
    You have a "one" for 2.2 or you have the actual kernel for the telus fascinate? I know the captivate kernel is very similar, are you just tweaking that?

If you can hold out til 11 or 12 I promise a new thread with lots of goodies. Even the captivate and vibrant peeps might like this. The bell i9000m users definitely will.
    J

Sorry, forgot that step. Su in terminal is working now. Just have to do it manually.

yes it installs without errors. I literally just rewrote the updater.script to include the sgh-t959d and installed it on my device.
    Yeah! I was thinking that this thread could be the start of telus fascinate!!!

Lets keep the thread alive as long as possible :p

p.s. Anyone using screen protector for telus fascinate? are we supposed to use protectors designed for vibrant?? I tried Zagg invisi sheild for fascinate on my telus fascinate, and it didin't fit. Any help? Thanks!

i9000 shield, trim off the bottom JUST above the button cut out, fits every time.

Do it for customers a lot.

I'll start fudging around with this in the next couple days (Rom stuff. I have three days off, I'm gonna start with Cyanogen for the vibrant and see what I can do with it.)
    I'll be working on it as soon as I'm home from toronto this evening.

God I need a second android device. This iphone is useless. XD