• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Root][G892A/U][V1/V2][SamFail][ROM]PartCyborgRom, Root for the Galaxy S8 Active

Search This thread

S8Activelopers

Mar 11, 2020
Austin, Texas
READ THIS REGARDING BL3 (Revision 3)

If anyone needs help rooting G892A Bootloader 3 I have basically mastered it to the T. Can make a tutorial on it for BL3. Also have links to BL3 Firmware that ive been using. I may consider making a video on it if people need.

Also have safestrap version of TWRP on my phone. The only issue is only the stock slots work so you cant use Stock Slot 1, 2, 3, etc. But its still useful.

Does anyone have a working method to get Magisk on this phone through TWRP? Im having issues and I want to develop a way to get Magisk on this phone but im having issues.
*Any help from anyone with direction on getting magisk on this phone would be a huge help!* *Is it even possible??*

binvius

Aug 27, 2018
Greetings from England and hope everyone is looking forward to a lovely weekend!

Firstly, thankyou so much to @partcyborg for all their hard work in making so many people happy and people like @TheMadScientist for helping so many users.

Having read through the thread a few times again, I have a very quick question if anyone would be kind enough to help. After over 82 hours, 6 cables and 20 USB ports over 3 machines, I finally managed to get the device re-rooted again having been happily rooted with this since the beginning as per my previous post here. (I'm guessing the difficulty getting into recovery may be due to the process corrupting the cache but sadly the cache formatter is only included in the V3 files and not in the V2 ones.)

Upon device purchase, I was originally on bootloader revision 2 on a G892A so reverted to that stock BL, AP, CP, CSC before using partcyborg's V2 files again but despite the OP showing G892A-2ARA1, my device is now showing as SM-G892U / G892AUCU1AQG5

I was under the assumption that it was impossible to downgrade a bootloader revision version so was hoping someone may be able to to confirm if something has gone wrong during my attempts or if there were any user impacting differences between the V1 and V2 files? (Also, does anyone know if there are that many performance/battery saving differences between these newer V2 files compared to the original V2 ones from the threads inception?)

One example being, it would appear this V1 G892U version I've unexpectedly ended up on only has a maximum 30 minute lockscreen timeout option compared to the previous version having 1 hour, so if I can get to that, I'd be a much happier bunny. (In light of bootloader versions, does anyone know if their are any penalties/benefits going to V3? I'm an extremely heavy Tasker user so OS 7 is ideal but not sure if V3 puts me on OS 7.1, etc?)

Regarding the strange bootloader downgrade and if it makes any difference, once back on fresh stock, the only way I could get into recovery was to flash Part1 -> Part2 -> Part1, all with no nand wipe so not sure if that's caused an issue.

I guess the only way of determining if the OP files are correctly labeled is from partcyborg but not sure if they still look at this thread so would welcome absolutely anyones input as well so as to save me wasting a valuable week re-customising the device unnecessary.

Thank you greatly in advance!

Last edited:

ersatz.feign

Mar 13, 2020
If anyone needs help rooting G892A Bootloader 3 I have basically mastered it to the T. Can make a tutorial on it for BL3. Also have links to BL3 Firmware that ive been using. I may consider making a video on it if people need.

Also have safestrap version of TWRP on my phone. The only issue is only the stock slots work so you cant use Stock Slot 1, 2, 3, etc. But its still useful.

Does anyone have a working method to get Magisk on this phone through TWRP? Im having issues and I want to develop a way to get Magisk on this phone but im having issues.
*Any help from anyone with direction on getting magisk on this phone would be a huge help!* *Is it even possible??*

I think a tutorial and/or video would help out hundreds and hundreds of users now and in the future so that is a very nice thing for you to do for the community. It would definitely help me out if I decide to go to version 3 sooner.

Once on version 3, I would definitely be willing to help out in any way I can in testing any methods we come up with to also get Magisk working but in the meantime, will keep a lookout for for your tutorial.

Good for you!

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Greetings from England and hope everyone is looking forward to a lovely weekend!

Firstly, thankyou so much to @partcyborg for all their hard work in making so many people happy and people like @TheMadScientist for helping so many users.

Having read through the thread a few times again, I have a very quick question if anyone would be kind enough to help. After over 82 hours, 6 cables and 20 USB ports over 3 machines, I finally managed to get the device re-rooted again having been happily rooted with this since the beginning as per my previous post here. (I'm guessing the difficulty getting into recovery may be due to the process corrupting the cache but sadly the cache formatter is only included in the V3 files and not in the V2 ones.)

Upon device purchase, I was originally on bootloader revision 2 on a G892A so reverted to that stock BL, AP, CP, CSC before using partcyborg's V2 files again but despite the OP showing G892A-2ARA1, my device is now showing as SM-G892U / G892AUCU1AQG5

I

One example being, it would appear this V1 G892U version I've unexpectedly ended up on only has a maximum 30 minute lockscreen timeout option compared to the previous version having 1 hour, so if I can get to that, I'd be a much happier bunny. (In light of bootloader versions, does anyone know if their are any penalties/benefits going to V3? I'm an extremely heavy Tasker user so OS 7 is ideal but not sure if V3 puts me on OS 7.1, etc?)

Regarding the strange bootloader downgrade and if it makes any difference, once back on fresh stock, the only way I could get into recovery was to flash Part1 -> Part2 -> Part1, all with no nand wipe so not sure if that's caused an issue.

I guess the only way of determining if the OP files are correctly labeled is from partcyborg but not sure if they still look at this thread so would welcome absolutely anyones input as well so as to save me wasting a valuable week re-customising the device unnecessary.

Thank you greatly in advance!

Hard to say mate. I can tell you downgrade between revisions is not possible. On the lock screen I don't use one so I don't even know. I'm sure the files are labeled properly. The root for this device has been real iffy at best. V3 is also 7.0. No 7.1 came out for us. You might look I to this new method for the regular so syndycate rom setup. Might be easier for you to use it.

[email protected]

Mar 12, 2019
Seattle
my baseband say g892aucu5csf8 help me
I am on the same phone. Unfortunately from my research which has been incredibly extensive has lead to nothing for our bootloader.
If I'm wrong is be so happy to be corrected... But I've not just researched, I've also tried all sorts of methods and done everything I could to obtain root access and I've gotten nowhere
Good luck tho man

wayne64ss

Jun 10, 2008

I could definitely use a walkthrough on Bootloader 3. I pm'd you.

alphabitssoup

Jun 22, 2015
Ok, is there any development still being done for this device?
I'm trying to add network bands, but the guide I'm following says I need ROOT, and CFW.

I'm on bootloader 5 with g892a

cgsjr

Jun 9, 2018
I am really hopeful that someone will continue trying to unlock this bootloader.
Currently I have an SM-G892U from T-Mobile, (G892USQS6CTB2 -March 1, 2020).
I would love to keep it going as long as my previous Galaxy S5, (still supported by LineageOS).

Does anyone know the odds of that happening?
Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Reactions: robnitro

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
I am really hopeful that someone will continue trying to unlock this bootloader.
Currently I have an SM-G892U from T-Mobile, (G892USQS6CTB2 -March 1, 2020).
I would love to keep it going as long as my previous Galaxy S5, (still supported by LineageOS).

Does anyone know the odds of that happening?
Thanks for any info.

Not gonna happen mate. If it does more than likely years and years down the line. None of the developers really ever supported the active models. they where always different and few people actually own them

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SamFail presents...

PartCyborgActiveRom
    ARA1

A Rooted Custom Rom

For SM-G892A/U on V1 and V2 Bootloaders

FAQ
    What is my Bootloader Revision?
    Your bootloader revision is part of the baseband build number of the firmware you are currently running. For example, let's consider this firmware version: G892ASQS2BQL1
    Start from the right and count 5 characters back. See that 2? That is the bootloader revision for the firmware that came with this rom. All Samsung firmware follow this formula for all devices.

Using this formula, What is the bootloader version for G892UEU4GHK1?

Answer: Bootloader revision is 4

Updates
    Please see below for a a new update to both the V1 and V2 releases.
    It is a new BL "part 2" tarball that contains a fix for the issues reported by
    many of you with the finger print and other various sensors. It has replaced
    the original firmware Part2 link in the following post .

Featured Modifications

Deodexed
    Deodexed for all devices.
    I found a way that works!
    It should continue working as long
    as we care about nougat

Xposed Preinstalled
    Forget that extra flash, PCR now comes out of the flasher with xposed pre-installed.
    NOTE: Xposed Installer may crash on first boot. It will not crash after setup finishes and you reboot

New Custom Boot Animation
    Another great one from @rayan-refoua himself.
    This one is my favorite so far.

JamesDSP
    I added another DSP style audio mod. JamesDSP is similar to V4A in how it operates and what features it has, but it has some really awesome features that have gotten me using it for a while. Specifically it has a better convolver (IRS processing) implementation, and its bass boost is WAY better than v4a. However you can use both at the same time to get the best of both worlds.

ITYBP Modded YouTube
    A last minute addition, this is a really nice youtube mod brought to you by XXXXXX ADD SOURCE XXXXX. It features some cool features like native adblocking (no more xposed module), override your max youtube resolution (so you can watch 4k videos on your phone), and, not as important to us, spoofing different device types to get true hdr videos. I have been using it for a while and really like it. A big thanks to them for letting me include it with PCR

Improved Debloating
    I did a lot more digging this round, and was able to add back a few things that I had taken out without loading the system more. This rom feels snappier than any before it. As usual, if you find something missing that you want back, pull it from the stock rom and install it in /system.

Improved Battery Life
    Thanks to some fine battery sleuthing work by @TheMadScientist, this release comes with a nice big bump in efficiency. With just some very minor tuning using amplify and a service disabler, I can get around 1%/h drain.

Performance Improvements
    That increased battery life does not come at the cost of performance. In fact performance is better too. Part of that is due to a large batch of personally tested build.prop tweaks make the ui a lot more responsive. Part of that is the data optimisation scripts that now run at boot to make sure things are cleaned up and in tip top shape. You wont notice those, but they are there doing their thing.

Other Features
    - Pre-Rooted with SuperSU installed
    - CSC OYN pre-installed. Tested working on several carriers
    - RCS and VoLTE icons removed from status bar.
    - High quality audio mods, including
    - Viper Audio (V4A)
    - Dolby Atmos from the Axon 7
    - Pandora hifi audio framework
    - Native Google Dialer & Contacts support, including local search, spam call blocking
    - Oreo 8..1 Emoji Icon Set
    - Custom Lockscreen Clock font
    - Stock system display fonts replaced with Apple's original San Francisco Font

Special Thanks
    - @ahiron and @Zackptg5 for the killer sounds from V4A and Dolby Atmos Mods!
    - The Aiur crew for Pandora (now a legacy mod but works great on the s8)
    - @syndre for the Google Dialer and Contacts framework mod
    - @rayan-refoua for the beautiful Tech Lines Custom boot and shutdown animations!
    - Last but not least, my new friend @laura almeida, along with @Razerman amd @ZaneZam for letting me include the iYTBP - injected YouTube Background Playback Mod
    - everyone who tested

Warnings/Disclaimers/Known Issues
    - 80% Battery life like every other rooted US snapdragon device
    - Flashing on a USB 3.0 port will likely cause corruption in your flash that can cause kernel panics, loss of root, and occasionally very strange other errors. If you get something like this, its not the rom its a hardware conflict that can only show up with larger images like are used in SamFail flashing. See the section below on Kernel Panics for more.
    - If there is an app or apk from the stock rom that you wish you had installed, the best solution is to extract it from your stock rom image and copy it to the same place in /system using a root file manager. If a large number of people want something back, I will include it in the next version, but by now I think we have covered all those possibilities and now the list will only get shorter. No I will not put Bixby back ;)

SamFail Rooting Process
    and Rom Installation

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING WILL ERASE YOUR WHOLE PHONE
    If you have a SDCard, remove it from your device. Occasional firmware incidents have wiped SDCards in the past. Better safe than sorry.

Prepare the Following:
    - complete stock rom at your bootloader rev in case things dont work
    - Everything backed up (see above)
    - Both Prince Comsy Odin, and Regular Odin for flashing stock
    - A USB 2.0 Port. If you attempt to flash with a USB 3.0 port it may work, but if you get kernel panics, or unexpected bad behavior and/or crashes your usb3 is absolutely to blame. some people get lucky and suceed after a few tries, YMMV. If you can not acquire a machine with a usb2.0 port, get a usb2.0 hub and run your phone into that & that into your machine. Reports are that has made things work for some, but we get few reports back.
    [/size]

Steps to Root

1) Download and unzip AP Part 1 and BL Part 2 zip files.

2) Download and unzip Prince Comsey Odin and start it up

3) Reboot device into Download mode, connect to your pc

4) Open Comsy Odin and add ONLY the AP Part1.tar.md5 file. Select the following options only:
    - "Auto-Reboot"
    - "F-Reset Time"
    - "Nand Erase All"

NOTE: Odin will freeze while checking the AP tar.md5 hash.
    Be patient, it will come back.

5) Click "Start" and wait for the system.img.ext4 file to flash fully to your device. This will take a while too.

ATTENTION:
    When the flash finishes, this is when the SamFail magic happens. Instead of saying "Failed (Auth)" like it should, the device will crash into upload mode with "Unknow Error".

If your device does not do this, and just says "Failed (Auth)" or something similar and stays in download mode, you need to start again from the beginning, but using a different set of ub ports as you have suffered from the usb3 corruption.

When you see the upload mode page, use the 3 button reboot to go back to download mode.

WARNING: When you reboot from upload mode, your phone will show an error instead of download mode.

When you reboot back into download mode, your screen will say that you had a failed update and you need to do emergency repair or take your device to a service center.
    Rest assured, your phone is actually in download mode, and Odin will have recognized it and said "Added!" along with the com port lighting up underneath the progress bar.
    It is safe to continue

6) Close and re-open Comsy Odin or hit the reset button, and add BL_PartCyborgRom-BootLoopEdition-<version>.tar.md5 to the BL section.

7) Leave the default checkboxes for "F Reset Time" and "Auto Reboot" checked. Click "Start" and flash the BL (part 2) to your device.

8) Wait for the flash to finish . It won't take very long at all all the files are small.

9) When it has finished, Odin will say PASS and your device will reboot into recovery.

Warning: Failure to follow this step could lead to a corrupted instance with no cell coverrage

10) When in recovery issue a factory reset. This ensures that your device has a userdata partition that is valid, and that the csc is processed correctly. Failure to do the reset could cause issues with either.

All done!

Donations/Root Bounty
    Pledged a donation for the root bounty? Send it here. Thank you!

IF YOU GET A BOOT LOOP:
    If you get a boot loop or your device hangs at boot, try the following:

1) Reboot to recovery and factory reset again.
    To get to recovery hold power+vol-down until screen goes black, then wait till upload mode (press power key for 7+ secs) comes up. Then press vol-down+power again and hold it till it reboots and as SOON as the screen goes black switch to holding vol-up+power+bixby. Hold it for 5-7sec then let go and you will wind up in recovery mode.

Kernel Panic, Invalid Argument

Start the process over
    Go back to the beginning and do everything again. If it fails in a new way this time, you may have hardware caused corruption, or maybe you missed a step. Change hardware, and keep trying.

Help
    If you get stuck, some of us will be here to help. Check out our telegram channel, where people will be around that can help you. Come Check it out.

Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
    PartCyborgRom, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
    partcyborg
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: TouchWiz/Samsung Experience

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: BQL1
    Stable Release Date: 2017-12-10

Created 2017-12-11
    Last Updated 2018-2-10

Downloads

V1 Bootloader Revision
    PartCyborgRom.G892A-ARA1.Part1.zip
    [Alternate Mirror]
    PartCyborgRom.G892A-ARA1.Part1b.zip
    [New: Fingerprint/Sensors all working]

V2 Bootloader Revision
    PartCyborgRom.G892A-2ARA1.Part1.zip
    [Alternate Mirror]
    PartCyborgRom.G892A-2ARA1.Part2b.zip
    [New: Fingerprint/Sensors all working]

(New!) V3 Bootloader Revision
    SM-G892A: PCR_G892A_BLV3.7z
    SM-G892U: PCR_G892U_BLV3.7z

Odin
    Prince Comsy Odin
    I need someone with flashing experience to test a rootable v3 version of this rom.

Is there anyone who fits the description and has a v3 device that is interested?

Please don't volunteer if you have never done this kind of thing before, if you are unfamiliar with odin, if or you have trouble understanding the instructions in the op. It will just increase the possibility of v3 being falsely confirmed as patched when it actually isnt. If/when its confirmed to work everyone will have full access
    Awesome work OP thank you very much, got everything up and running now very nice, let me know where to send money for the bounty.

I knew I forgot something!!!

https://www.paypal.me/partcyborg is the link. I will add it to the op too.