[Root][G892A/U][V1/V2][SamFail][ROM]PartCyborgRom, Root for the Galaxy S8 Active

Search This thread

OperationA7X

May 17, 2012
twitch.tv
HTC One (m7)
I've been trying to figure out what to do, everything is downgraded on my G892a and I can't seem to figure out how to get SafetyStrap to work right on my phone. I can't flash anything in TWRP because I can't get any method to work to get the /data partition to be decrypted/mounted. I've been trying to look for solutions, but I am stuck. Could anyone please help me? I am somewhat new to Samsung modding, but have modded HTCs all the time back in the day. So most instructions aren't confusing for me. I'm so lost. I just want root and the ability to flash things when needed.

vvillvvorst1312

Dec 21, 2019
Just wanted to come chime in. Spent a lot of time sorting through all of this info, and here is what worked for me:

I'm with a G892A on a V3 bootloader.

Followed all instructions to the T but kept getting various errors with the BL flashing. Fail, fail, fail. Eventually tried by flashing the PCR AP, and then the BL in this post https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78765301&postcount=469

Seems to work fine. Bluetooth and wifi passwords were not saving upon reset like others mentioned, and I followed the instructions here

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77101027&postcount=5
and the files...
Lib directory - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dawhd511rzk41/lib
Lib64 directory - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/ezld25821h76t/lib64

So far so good.

I'll only update if I find any problems.

Thanks all!

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Just wanted to come chime in. Spent a lot of time sorting through all of this info, and here is what worked for me:

I'm with a G892A on a V3 bootloader.

Followed all instructions to the T but kept getting various errors with the BL flashing. Fail, fail, fail. Eventually tried by flashing the PCR AP, and then the BL in this post https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78765301&postcount=469

Seems to work fine. Bluetooth and wifi passwords were not saving upon reset like others mentioned, and I followed the instructions here

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=77101027&postcount=5
and the files...
Lib directory - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dawhd511rzk41/lib
Lib64 directory - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/ezld25821h76t/lib64

So far so good.

I'll only update if I find any problems.

Thanks all!
Yea it's a xposed issue on the wifi Bluetooth. It had me all messed up for a while having a smartwatch needing to be reset nearly 3 times a day. Finally found those in the xposed GitHub

OperationA7X

May 17, 2012
twitch.tv
HTC One (m7)
Wanted to update y'all, had to disable Google Play Store since it kept uninstalling SuperSU, and causing issues with root. Obviously can't install Magisk since locked bootloader, so no hide root function. Would love to be able to hide root from PoGo, Netflix, and Ingress Prime. 80% battery limit, but I actually got to 85% charge somehow. I'll post a screenshot. Other than that, Gravity Box works fine, and other mods. SafeStrap doesn't seem to fully implement, but it works for the most part. Can't really flash zips normally because of the ramdisk issue. I do have one weird problem that I can't seem to turn off: pressing the "Home" button while the screen is off. I can't find the settings to turn it off, I hate turning it on in my pocket. I did want to say thanks to the heroes who figured out the exploit and allowed us to root our devices finally. And I also wanna say f*** off to those who try to host the needed combination file for money. Once again, thanks! :D 80% battery doesn't bother me enough to warrant me freaking out. Although someday, it'd be nice to go back to 100%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191225-040842.png
    Screenshot_20191225-040842.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Screenshot_20191219-053257.jpg
    Screenshot_20191219-053257.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 177

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Wanted to update y'all, had to disable Google Play Store since it kept uninstalling SuperSU, and causing issues with root. Obviously can't install Magisk since locked bootloader, so no hide root function. Would love to be able to hide root from PoGo, Netflix, and Ingress Prime. 80% battery limit, but I actually got to 85% charge somehow. I'll post a screenshot. Other than that, Gravity Box works fine, and other mods. SafeStrap doesn't seem to fully implement, but it works for the most part. Can't really flash zips normally because of the ramdisk issue. I do have one weird problem that I can't seem to turn off: pressing the "Home" button while the screen is off. I can't find the settings to turn it off, I hate turning it on in my pocket. I did want to say thanks to the heroes who figured out the exploit and allowed us to root our devices finally. And I also wanna say f*** off to those who try to host the needed combination file for money. Once again, thanks! :D 80% battery doesn't bother me enough to warrant me freaking out. Although someday, it'd be nice to go back to 100%.

I got a thread around here for a hacked up method to hit 100% search Google for s8 80% threshold and you should be able to find it.

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/wip-manual-charge-past-80-snap-dragon-t3918553

OperationA7X

May 17, 2012
twitch.tv
HTC One (m7)
I decided to avoid the mod for 100% battery, seems too dangerous for me, especially since I don't have a wireless charger. Everything seems nice. I still have everything running smoothly, got Netflix to run on my phone finally, just had to rename the liboemcrypto file because deleting made it come back, if I recall. I'm so happy to have root.

Reactions: TheMadScientist

Robborboy

Feb 6, 2016
Pulled my S8 Active back out after a little bit of having it shelved and I see there have been new developments. Don't see anything knew in the OP past V3 but alot of posts in here for V4 and V5. I don't see a perfect match for my baseband though. I see a CK1 but mine is a CH1. I'm assuming it is earlier? If so do I just us the CK1 to flash over it? Specifically mine is a V5 as follows:
G892AUCS5CSH1.

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Pulled my S8 Active back out after a little bit of having it shelved and I see there have been new developments. Don't see anything knew in the OP past V3 but alot of posts in here for V4 and V5. I don't see a perfect match for my baseband though. I see a CK1 but mine is a CH1. I'm assuming it is earlier? If so do I just us the CK1 to flash over it? Specifically mine is a V5 as follows:
G892AUCS5CSH1.

I dont think this is updated to even work on revision 5. 5th dig from far end is your bootloader build. You may be out of luck till it gets updated. But you would use what's in this post. If it is for rev 5

Robborboy

Feb 6, 2016
Ok so i'm rather new at all this but i was able to follow all of the steps posted for rooting the G982A with a V5 bootloader and i believe everything has worked successfully, but i'm running into some problems that im not sure how to fix, if the need to be fixed, or is even possible to be fixed. I'm really sorry if all of this stuff is to be expected and im fretting over nothing but i'm fairly new like i said.

So for one, Apps cant gain root access and SuperSU keeps popping up a prompt that says "SU Binary occupied" when i click "how to solve" the website pops up a 502 bad gateway. Also googleing the problem told me to go into settings and try to reinstall superSU and after clicking that option it just sits on "uninstalling" for about 20 minutes without doing anything after which i closed it. i tried to uninstall it from apps but i only have a "disable" option. I have also tried the Switch superuser app" option to the same result. -this may be related but xposed framework version 89 is active, but says there is an update available but upon trying to download it i get "there was a problem parsing the package". there is a line at the bottom of the log 'cannot load any modules because ....... modules.list was not found' not sure if related or not.

Second, before rooting i made a backup of my phone on both google drive and samsung cloud however my phone was running android 9.0 and this root downgraded me to android 7.0, i'm seeing a lot of things on google saying i can't restore backups from newer versions, am i really SOL? Is there any way to update to a newer version of android and keep root, or is that impossible? Also im rooted, can't i just spoof my android version number to at least get my damned messages back? I don't even have the "cloud and backup" option in my settings menu, there is nothing listed in my settings that have a 'restore' option anywhere, even third party apps cant get my backup data off google drive.

OH and third, the Build number shows "2ARA1" when i used the V3 files from page1, is this normal? I find it very strange that the baseband and build numbers don't match.

I'm going to be attaching my about phone menu as well and hopefully that will be usefull to someone

KZve1m4nB5bX_I-tj7ERf4NPrg9QOJc1UTpKXq2Rwnv8A9l6fSV5ZvvWQ-nlFq1aVb-3rJPqDIAaWGmEznQNHkrb9Z-zRC4-V-SCYtDTiKwrEQbU24Las7TPSNSiht2QSDzR4VtCPtJZUqJ9Gnb_89sziU4YnfBiNU2wRCLfOy7iBXAeyw_AOxltvBRS398_Pog1ri4jKFK3D2v4K_SMThYmAqc80I6cn_R2GWqN62IETh2PP7CVAEj0OvzHJ-NUt0tweUhm86lwCAr7Eb4jeXyclsXtfzZSKeXsGgh249NyM7_lUCey1BK06MCgxyDSWREMD3sVluC_uMycGEhI_cen0EiPmefHN9TvjsP6vLOCHPaghAJTrf1odY_z6NakYI42E-JM8JgZgS_-_cZyqxbvz5605LBWnFu1V3QvvvxicpB3YThj0-qbZYE75dbK2xe5sm7X5eRUolLpAc0U2W57NzmKuCcSWgZNJH0nPy9UOUJe3mGkLM2aWFErb0hwZV3sFex9TXLIQHdVlOjLzHtGFI2-dadQHIp8luQ9VwePxk-Xto40GWWBjkva6HuwteQbzZjtoCDO-RCjjYcyhGLL3kDBK715uRa5WhrW_FBHS27NkvZLIgMTktzIpjaS3baMlg7TzssLx9Dffcvx4bsYFLzKH6g1o0IqMgdnXUeuvvsw4SfMKg=w364-h748-no

I dont think this is updated to even work on revision 5. 5th dig from far end is your bootloader build. You may be out of luck till it gets updated. But you would use what's in this post. If it is for rev 5

This specifically is what I was looking at. From what I gathered when flashing it left the V5 bootloader, downgraded it to 7.0, and provided root.

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
This specifically is what I was looking at. From what I gathered when flashing it left the V5 bootloader, downgraded it to 7.0, and provided root.

Yea that's what this method does. Uses the bootloader from the combination file which is 7.0 and permissive so we get root on 7.0 only. But I dont own this device. Just know the method real well. Didnt know if it had been updated for rev 5. The combination file comes in all rev but stays 7.0. This method was patched on the s8. But not the plus after rev 2

arafaarslan

Sep 26, 2018
Dear madscientist and partcyborg,

Firstly, I am very thankful for your kind work on this phone. I love it.

My mate got a new s8 active. Anyway to root g892aucs3brg1? I couldnt find a way to root these.

Should we expect v3 bl and ap?

I would also contribute in anyway I can.

Thanks.

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Dear madscientist and partcyborg,

Firstly, I am very thankful for your kind work on this phone. I love it.

My mate got a new s8 active. Anyway to root g892aucs3brg1? I couldnt find a way to root these.

Should we expect v3 bl and ap?

I would also contribute in anyway I can.

Thanks.
All cyborg mate. I just try to help and answer people with what i know. I can't remember where in this thread. But I'm pretty sure bootloader 3 is ther last one that can be done. Perhaps if i recall start reading around post 500 or so to 600. I can't remember. It's been a while. I never had this device. It's just the same nearly add s8s

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75521999&postcount=2

Guys where having trouble. Read like I said staying around post 500 or so for fixes but there's the bootloader you can use the ap from 2 to root

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

It's a hot mess on active model

OperationA7X

May 17, 2012
twitch.tv
HTC One (m7)
All right, so I've had this bug for a while, but not sure if it's just me or if it's a known issue. But my phone is the SM-G892A, rooted with the combination file. Love it, minus the Bluetooth issue (but I know there's a fix, I'm just lazy to get it done), however, every so often, I'd say around once a week, maybe less, my phone crashes hard and ends up in Upload Mode. Since I obviously can't take a screenshot, I wrote it down what I saw.
Substation Crash: Modem
File: lte_LL1_fifo.c
Line: 201
Task: LFW_PDCCH_PROC0
HW: 2.1
Micron
Severity: Fatal

Next time it happens, I'll get more info if needed. What could be causing such a fatal issue?

Also, my phone will randomly not let me send SMS, even with default APN settings sometimes, tried different apps, fiddled around with the *#*#*4636#*#* settings, and nothing. Data works, can call out and receive calls, can receive SMS, but can't send SMS, but can receive MMS and send MMS. Did reboot, cleared /cache and /dalvik-cache, booted into Safe Mode, used Airplane Mode to toggle my radio on and off.

Thanks for reading my essay. If you need more info or any ideas of what I can do, I'd appreciate it.

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
All right, so I've had this bug for a while, but not sure if it's just me or if it's a known issue. But my phone is the SM-G892A, rooted with the combination file. Love it, minus the Bluetooth issue (but I know there's a fix, I'm just lazy to get it done), however, every so often, I'd say around once a week, maybe less, my phone crashes hard and ends up in Upload Mode. Since I obviously can't take a screenshot, I wrote it down what I saw.
Substation Crash: Modem
File: lte_LL1_fifo.c
Line: 201
Task: LFW_PDCCH_PROC0
HW: 2.1
Micron
Severity: Fatal

Next time it happens, I'll get more info if needed. What could be causing such a fatal issue?

Also, my phone will randomly not let me send SMS, even with default APN settings sometimes, tried different apps, fiddled around with the *#*#*4636#*#* settings, and nothing. Data works, can call out and receive calls, can receive SMS, but can't send SMS, but can receive MMS and send MMS. Did reboot, cleared /cache and /dalvik-cache, booted into Safe Mode, used Airplane Mode to toggle my radio on and off.

Thanks for reading my essay. If you need more info or any ideas of what I can do, I'd appreciate it.

It's the modem crashing. Once a week isn't bad. I've had it happen like 30 times a day once. It's cause by most of the time like random signal like swapping from lte to 3g. Or back. Things like radio switcher and lte only can help.

Cặc Lồn

Dec 1, 2019
Dear all, does any one have files for V6 bootloader? I had upgraded the android 9 and now I can not go down :crying::crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SamFail presents...

PartCyborgActiveRom
    ARA1

A Rooted Custom Rom

For SM-G892A/U on V1 and V2 Bootloaders

FAQ
    What is my Bootloader Revision?
    Your bootloader revision is part of the baseband build number of the firmware you are currently running. For example, let's consider this firmware version: G892ASQS2BQL1
    Start from the right and count 5 characters back. See that 2? That is the bootloader revision for the firmware that came with this rom. All Samsung firmware follow this formula for all devices.

Using this formula, What is the bootloader version for G892UEU4GHK1?

Answer: Bootloader revision is 4

Updates
    Please see below for a a new update to both the V1 and V2 releases.
    It is a new BL "part 2" tarball that contains a fix for the issues reported by
    many of you with the finger print and other various sensors. It has replaced
    the original firmware Part2 link in the following post .

Featured Modifications

Deodexed
    Deodexed for all devices.
    I found a way that works!
    It should continue working as long
    as we care about nougat

Xposed Preinstalled
    Forget that extra flash, PCR now comes out of the flasher with xposed pre-installed.
    NOTE: Xposed Installer may crash on first boot. It will not crash after setup finishes and you reboot

New Custom Boot Animation
    Another great one from @rayan-refoua himself.
    This one is my favorite so far.

JamesDSP
    I added another DSP style audio mod. JamesDSP is similar to V4A in how it operates and what features it has, but it has some really awesome features that have gotten me using it for a while. Specifically it has a better convolver (IRS processing) implementation, and its bass boost is WAY better than v4a. However you can use both at the same time to get the best of both worlds.

ITYBP Modded YouTube
    A last minute addition, this is a really nice youtube mod brought to you by XXXXXX ADD SOURCE XXXXX. It features some cool features like native adblocking (no more xposed module), override your max youtube resolution (so you can watch 4k videos on your phone), and, not as important to us, spoofing different device types to get true hdr videos. I have been using it for a while and really like it. A big thanks to them for letting me include it with PCR

Improved Debloating
    I did a lot more digging this round, and was able to add back a few things that I had taken out without loading the system more. This rom feels snappier than any before it. As usual, if you find something missing that you want back, pull it from the stock rom and install it in /system.

Improved Battery Life
    Thanks to some fine battery sleuthing work by @TheMadScientist, this release comes with a nice big bump in efficiency. With just some very minor tuning using amplify and a service disabler, I can get around 1%/h drain.

Performance Improvements
    That increased battery life does not come at the cost of performance. In fact performance is better too. Part of that is due to a large batch of personally tested build.prop tweaks make the ui a lot more responsive. Part of that is the data optimisation scripts that now run at boot to make sure things are cleaned up and in tip top shape. You wont notice those, but they are there doing their thing.

Other Features
    - Pre-Rooted with SuperSU installed
    - CSC OYN pre-installed. Tested working on several carriers
    - RCS and VoLTE icons removed from status bar.
    - High quality audio mods, including
    - Viper Audio (V4A)
    - Dolby Atmos from the Axon 7
    - Pandora hifi audio framework
    - Native Google Dialer & Contacts support, including local search, spam call blocking
    - Oreo 8..1 Emoji Icon Set
    - Custom Lockscreen Clock font
    - Stock system display fonts replaced with Apple's original San Francisco Font

Special Thanks
    - @ahiron and @Zackptg5 for the killer sounds from V4A and Dolby Atmos Mods!
    - The Aiur crew for Pandora (now a legacy mod but works great on the s8)
    - @syndre for the Google Dialer and Contacts framework mod
    - @rayan-refoua for the beautiful Tech Lines Custom boot and shutdown animations!
    - Last but not least, my new friend @laura almeida, along with @Razerman amd @ZaneZam for letting me include the iYTBP - injected YouTube Background Playback Mod
    - everyone who tested

Warnings/Disclaimers/Known Issues
    - 80% Battery life like every other rooted US snapdragon device
    - Flashing on a USB 3.0 port will likely cause corruption in your flash that can cause kernel panics, loss of root, and occasionally very strange other errors. If you get something like this, its not the rom its a hardware conflict that can only show up with larger images like are used in SamFail flashing. See the section below on Kernel Panics for more.
    - If there is an app or apk from the stock rom that you wish you had installed, the best solution is to extract it from your stock rom image and copy it to the same place in /system using a root file manager. If a large number of people want something back, I will include it in the next version, but by now I think we have covered all those possibilities and now the list will only get shorter. No I will not put Bixby back ;)

SamFail Rooting Process
    and Rom Installation

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING WILL ERASE YOUR WHOLE PHONE
    If you have a SDCard, remove it from your device. Occasional firmware incidents have wiped SDCards in the past. Better safe than sorry.

Prepare the Following:
    - complete stock rom at your bootloader rev in case things dont work
    - Everything backed up (see above)
    - Both Prince Comsy Odin, and Regular Odin for flashing stock
    - A USB 2.0 Port. If you attempt to flash with a USB 3.0 port it may work, but if you get kernel panics, or unexpected bad behavior and/or crashes your usb3 is absolutely to blame. some people get lucky and suceed after a few tries, YMMV. If you can not acquire a machine with a usb2.0 port, get a usb2.0 hub and run your phone into that & that into your machine. Reports are that has made things work for some, but we get few reports back.
    [/size]

Steps to Root

1) Download and unzip AP Part 1 and BL Part 2 zip files.

2) Download and unzip Prince Comsey Odin and start it up

3) Reboot device into Download mode, connect to your pc

4) Open Comsy Odin and add ONLY the AP Part1.tar.md5 file. Select the following options only:
    - "Auto-Reboot"
    - "F-Reset Time"
    - "Nand Erase All"

NOTE: Odin will freeze while checking the AP tar.md5 hash.
    Be patient, it will come back.

5) Click "Start" and wait for the system.img.ext4 file to flash fully to your device. This will take a while too.

ATTENTION:
    When the flash finishes, this is when the SamFail magic happens. Instead of saying "Failed (Auth)" like it should, the device will crash into upload mode with "Unknow Error".

If your device does not do this, and just says "Failed (Auth)" or something similar and stays in download mode, you need to start again from the beginning, but using a different set of ub ports as you have suffered from the usb3 corruption.

When you see the upload mode page, use the 3 button reboot to go back to download mode.

WARNING: When you reboot from upload mode, your phone will show an error instead of download mode.

When you reboot back into download mode, your screen will say that you had a failed update and you need to do emergency repair or take your device to a service center.
    Rest assured, your phone is actually in download mode, and Odin will have recognized it and said "Added!" along with the com port lighting up underneath the progress bar.
    It is safe to continue

6) Close and re-open Comsy Odin or hit the reset button, and add BL_PartCyborgRom-BootLoopEdition-<version>.tar.md5 to the BL section.

7) Leave the default checkboxes for "F Reset Time" and "Auto Reboot" checked. Click "Start" and flash the BL (part 2) to your device.

8) Wait for the flash to finish . It won't take very long at all all the files are small.

9) When it has finished, Odin will say PASS and your device will reboot into recovery.

Warning: Failure to follow this step could lead to a corrupted instance with no cell coverrage

10) When in recovery issue a factory reset. This ensures that your device has a userdata partition that is valid, and that the csc is processed correctly. Failure to do the reset could cause issues with either.

All done!

Donations/Root Bounty
    Pledged a donation for the root bounty? Send it here. Thank you!

IF YOU GET A BOOT LOOP:
    If you get a boot loop or your device hangs at boot, try the following:

1) Reboot to recovery and factory reset again.
    To get to recovery hold power+vol-down until screen goes black, then wait till upload mode (press power key for 7+ secs) comes up. Then press vol-down+power again and hold it till it reboots and as SOON as the screen goes black switch to holding vol-up+power+bixby. Hold it for 5-7sec then let go and you will wind up in recovery mode.

Kernel Panic, Invalid Argument

Start the process over
    Go back to the beginning and do everything again. If it fails in a new way this time, you may have hardware caused corruption, or maybe you missed a step. Change hardware, and keep trying.

Help
    If you get stuck, some of us will be here to help. Check out our telegram channel, where people will be around that can help you. Come Check it out.

Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
    PartCyborgRom, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
    partcyborg
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: TouchWiz/Samsung Experience

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: BQL1
    Stable Release Date: 2017-12-10

Created 2017-12-11
    Last Updated 2018-2-10

Downloads

V1 Bootloader Revision
    PartCyborgRom.G892A-ARA1.Part1.zip
    [Alternate Mirror]
    PartCyborgRom.G892A-ARA1.Part1b.zip
    [New: Fingerprint/Sensors all working]

V2 Bootloader Revision
    PartCyborgRom.G892A-2ARA1.Part1.zip
    [Alternate Mirror]
    PartCyborgRom.G892A-2ARA1.Part2b.zip
    [New: Fingerprint/Sensors all working]

(New!) V3 Bootloader Revision
    SM-G892A: PCR_G892A_BLV3.7z
    SM-G892U: PCR_G892U_BLV3.7z

Odin
    Prince Comsy Odin
    I need someone with flashing experience to test a rootable v3 version of this rom.

Is there anyone who fits the description and has a v3 device that is interested?

Please don't volunteer if you have never done this kind of thing before, if you are unfamiliar with odin, if or you have trouble understanding the instructions in the op. It will just increase the possibility of v3 being falsely confirmed as patched when it actually isnt. If/when its confirmed to work everyone will have full access
    Awesome work OP thank you very much, got everything up and running now very nice, let me know where to send money for the bounty.

I knew I forgot something!!!

https://www.paypal.me/partcyborg is the link. I will add it to the op too.