Question Root Galaxy S21 FE with Magisk?

Search This thread

dude010

May 30, 2008
Zurich
Hello all

Since two days I'm using the new S21 FE and I'm quite happy with it. Unlocking the bootloader was quite simple. Until Custom ROMS are available I'd love to install Magisk but I couldn't find any information so far here or somewhere else.

Help would be appreciated. Thank you :)

atlantix1

Sep 27, 2011
With latest Magisk Canary (23017) and latest Firmware (I downloaded Russian firmare with region code SER, security patch is from January) root ist possible. It is crucial to use the latest version of Magisk Canary as it fixed bootloop of Samsung devices caused by faulty fstab.

So, what I did is:

* of course: unlocked bootloader
* downloaded above firmware via SamFirm reborn (or similar tool)
* flashed stock firmware via Odin
* extracted AP file from the zip
* extracted boot.img.lz4 from AP file
* made a TAR file from the above file
* transferred this file to the device and patched it with latest Magisk
* back on the PC flashed this file via Odin in AP slot TOGETHER WITH attached vbmeta_disabled.tar (I think I got it from the TWRP thread in the S20 FE forum here - works for me)

Cheers

P.S.: Of course there's no guarantee this will work for you. So, please do not blame me if not... ;) And keep in mind that ****ty SHealth and similar Knox related apps (I don't use them at all) will possibly stop working when bootloader ist unlocked an Knox is tripped.

Attachments

• vbmeta_disabled.tar
    2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

dude010

May 30, 2008
Zurich
With latest Magisk Canary (23017) and latest Firmware (I downloaded Russian firmare with region code SER, security patch is from January) root ist possible. It is crucial to use the latest version of Magisk Canary as it fixed bootloop of Samsung devices caused by faulty fstab.

So, what I did is:

* back on the PC flashed this file via Odin in AP slot TOGETHER WITH attached vbmeta_disabled.tar (I think I got it from the TWRP thread in the S20 FE forum here - works for me)

Cheers

P.S.: Of course there's no guarantee this will work for you. So, please do not blame me if not... ;) And keep in mind that ****ty SHealth and similar Knox related apps (I don't use them at all) will possibly stop working when bootloader ist unlocked an Knox is tripped.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I really appreciate. Will try it this weekend.

Frozen_Duck

May 27, 2013
Vienna

So, what I did is:

Cheers

I tried to do the same with Heimdall, as I have no access to a Windows PC. I flashed the boot.img (unpacked to a .img) in the BOOT slot and vbmeta_disabled.tar (unpacked to a .img) in the VBMETA slot and got stuck in a bootloop. Any ideas how this could be resolved?

atlantix1

Sep 27, 2011
I tried to do the same with Heimdall, as I have no access to a Windows PC. I flashed the boot.img (unpacked to a .img) in the BOOT slot and vbmeta_disabled.tar (unpacked to a .img) in the VBMETA slot and got stuck in a bootloop. Any ideas how this could be resolved?
I am sorry, but I have no experiences with Heimdall at all. So I think I cannot help here. You could try latest Magisk Canary (now 23018) or try the modded Magisk apk from the A52S-forum here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/galaxy-a52s-5g-sm-a528b-experimental-and-limited-root.4382243/. The file is a bit hidden in the first post. It says: "First step download the file from here..."

Before I succeeded in rooting by the method I described above, I archieved root by patching boot.img with that A52S-version. Although later on Magisk Manager kept on saying "additional setup needed...", but root and modules worked flawlessly. Good luck!

Frozen_Duck

May 27, 2013
Vienna
The newer Magisk version did the trick for me and I do not end up in a boot loop. Following steps got me Magisk up and running:

1. get the newest canary build of Magisk (23018) at the time
2. get a copy of your firmware unpack it and get the boot.img
3. patch the boot.img with Magisk and pull the patched file from the phone
4. get the file vbmeta_disabled.tar linked previously [1] and unpack it
5. boot the phone into the Download Mode
6. execute following command:

Attention: The original repository of Heimdall is missing some important patches. Use the repository of amo13 [2].

Bash:
heimdall flash --BOOT <path to patched boot.img> \
--VBMETA <path to unpacked vbmeta_disabled.tar> \
--no-reboot

optional:
7. install Zygisk
8. install Universal SafetyNet Fix [3]

[1] https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/vbmeta_disabled-tar.5514343/
[2] https://github.com/amo13/Heimdall
[3] https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix

Sidewind3r

Oct 21, 2019
Does everyone here have the exynos version of the S21 FE 5G or something because I'm on snapdragon and have no OEM Unlock option showing up. Just wondering if anyone has a snapdragon version that's able to unlock the bootloader?

joke19

Feb 23, 2012
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Xiaomi Mi Note 10
Look

Screenshot_20220125-151126_Settings.jpg

x56x

Does everyone here have the exynos version of the S21 FE 5G or something because I'm on snapdragon and have no OEM Unlock option showing up. Just wondering if anyone has a snapdragon version that's able to unlock the bootloader?
You aren't the only one. I specfically ordered a snapdragon unlocked variant and there is no option for me to unlock the bootloader either. Quite a pain honestly, since the only reason I got this phone was for development purposes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So, what I did is:

Cheers

You will have to wait until Samsung releases its source code to get hold of a boot image to patch.
    The newer Magisk version did the trick for me and I do not end up in a boot loop. Following steps got me Magisk up and running:

1. get the newest canary build of Magisk (23018) at the time
    2. get a copy of your firmware unpack it and get the boot.img
    3. patch the boot.img with Magisk and pull the patched file from the phone
    4. get the file vbmeta_disabled.tar linked previously [1] and unpack it
    5. boot the phone into the Download Mode
    6. execute following command:

Attention: The original repository of Heimdall is missing some important patches. Use the repository of amo13 [2].

Bash:
    heimdall flash --BOOT <path to patched boot.img> \
    --VBMETA <path to unpacked vbmeta_disabled.tar> \
    --no-reboot

optional:
    7. install Zygisk
    8. install Universal SafetyNet Fix [3]

[1] https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/vbmeta_disabled-tar.5514343/
    [2] https://github.com/amo13/Heimdall
    [3] https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix
    Hi, just posting here to say I've successfuly rooted my S21 FE 5G SM-G990B.
    OEM Unlock was possible. Once it done, unlocked my bootloader.
    Unpacked my firmware (boot.img is in the AP file), unpacked the boot.img.lz4 image with 7zip lz4.
    Patched it on Magisk and placed the patched image with vbmeta.img extracted from zip.
    Repacked patched boot.img and vbmeta.img in one file I named "root.tar" via 7zip.
    Flashed in Odin on AP tab. Reboot, rooted.

I list here my steps because of much mistakes I've done, if it could help someone...
    Thanks to contributors, you are the best.

PS : Tried with Heimdall before Odin, but no success. I'm not enough smart I guess.