Question Root Galaxy S21 FE with Magisk?

Search This thread

joke19

Feb 23, 2012
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Xiaomi Mi Note 10
So if I flash a different firmware, I can get the boot loader unlocked?
Before I give a wrong answer

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
FYI, I have an unbranded/non-carrier SM-G990B (6GB/SD888) direct from Samsung, and 'OEM Unlock' is not available.

kamikaze702k

Jun 12, 2013
London
I have the 8/256
5G FE

have oem unlocking

Need a custom rom badly lol, stock a12 sucks, last update is bugged and phone randomly keeps crashing

Doghan13

Mar 13, 2014
Beausemblant(26)
Hi, just posting here to say I've successfuly rooted my S21 FE 5G SM-G990B.
OEM Unlock was possible. Once it done, unlocked my bootloader.
Unpacked my firmware (boot.img is in the AP file), unpacked the boot.img.lz4 image with 7zip lz4.
Patched it on Magisk and placed the patched image with vbmeta.img extracted from zip.
Repacked patched boot.img and vbmeta.img in one file I named "root.tar" via 7zip.
Flashed in Odin on AP tab. Reboot, rooted.

I list here my steps because of much mistakes I've done, if it could help someone...
Thanks to contributors, you are the best.

PS : Tried with Heimdall before Odin, but no success. I'm not enough smart I guess.

Reactions: castuis

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With latest Magisk Canary (23017) and latest Firmware (I downloaded Russian firmare with region code SER, security patch is from January) root ist possible. It is crucial to use the latest version of Magisk Canary as it fixed bootloop of Samsung devices caused by faulty fstab.

So, what I did is:

* of course: unlocked bootloader
    * downloaded above firmware via SamFirm reborn (or similar tool)
    * flashed stock firmware via Odin
    * extracted AP file from the zip
    * extracted boot.img.lz4 from AP file
    * made a TAR file from the above file
    * transferred this file to the device and patched it with latest Magisk
    * back on the PC flashed this file via Odin in AP slot TOGETHER WITH attached vbmeta_disabled.tar (I think I got it from the TWRP thread in the S20 FE forum here - works for me)

Cheers

P.S.: Of course there's no guarantee this will work for you. So, please do not blame me if not... ;) And keep in mind that ****ty SHealth and similar Knox related apps (I don't use them at all) will possibly stop working when bootloader ist unlocked an Knox is tripped.
    You will have to wait until Samsung releases its source code to get hold of a boot image to patch.
    The newer Magisk version did the trick for me and I do not end up in a boot loop. Following steps got me Magisk up and running:

1. get the newest canary build of Magisk (23018) at the time
    2. get a copy of your firmware unpack it and get the boot.img
    3. patch the boot.img with Magisk and pull the patched file from the phone
    4. get the file vbmeta_disabled.tar linked previously [1] and unpack it
    5. boot the phone into the Download Mode
    6. execute following command:

Attention: The original repository of Heimdall is missing some important patches. Use the repository of amo13 [2].

Bash:
    heimdall flash --BOOT <path to patched boot.img> \
    --VBMETA <path to unpacked vbmeta_disabled.tar> \
    --no-reboot

optional:
    7. install Zygisk
    8. install Universal SafetyNet Fix [3]

[1] https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/vbmeta_disabled-tar.5514343/
    [2] https://github.com/amo13/Heimdall
    [3] https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix
    Hi, just posting here to say I've successfuly rooted my S21 FE 5G SM-G990B.
    OEM Unlock was possible. Once it done, unlocked my bootloader.
    Unpacked my firmware (boot.img is in the AP file), unpacked the boot.img.lz4 image with 7zip lz4.
    Patched it on Magisk and placed the patched image with vbmeta.img extracted from zip.
    Repacked patched boot.img and vbmeta.img in one file I named "root.tar" via 7zip.
    Flashed in Odin on AP tab. Reboot, rooted.

I list here my steps because of much mistakes I've done, if it could help someone...
    Thanks to contributors, you are the best.

PS : Tried with Heimdall before Odin, but no success. I'm not enough smart I guess.