• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROOT] Galaxy S9 and S9+ Official Stock 8.0 MAGISK - OFFICIAL

Search This thread

frauchgu10

Jan 14, 2017
Hello everyone this a little guide for rooting your Galaxy S9 and S9+ (EXYNOS) with Magisk Official

url]

Quote:
READ THIS BEFORE ROOTING DEVICE
- In any case i'm not reponsable of the beginning of the 3rd World War if you find a way to build a time machine with this guide ! So keep your plans of the time machine in a secure place.
- Any of below said method to root will trip knox and void warranty forever.
- Root process needs wipe data so make backup of important data (including Internal Device storage) before proceed.
- As of now you will lose Samsung Pay and Secure folder forever if you root once, even unrooting won't help. (hope in future we can get it working on tripped knox device). Also you may not able to run some banking apps, you can use Magisk Hide
- OTA likely won't work once you root device.
- To unroot device completely, simply flash Samsung stock firmware, Remember, Unrooting won't revokes warranty nor you will be able to use Secure folder/Samsung Pay. Once rooted, these feature gone for you unless some magic happen in future and may find a way to use it.

Magisk hide 17.1 isn't working SafetyNet Fail

Take a look at the pictures at the end of this thread.

If your coming from my another thread about the Magisk 16.3 modified

1.Do a /data backup in TWRP
2.Wipe with TWRP
3.Use odin to update to the latest firmware from samsung
4.Root with this guide and restore.

How to proceed

1.Enable Developer Option (settings - about phone - Software information - Tap 7 times on build number to activate developer option in settings menu)

2.Enable OEM Unlock from developer option (if you don't have this option it means that your S9 is incompatible)

3.Download TWRP for S9 or S9+

4.Switch Off device

5.Press Vol down + Bixby + Power to reboot to download mode, press volume up when asked to continue to download mode

6.Download Odin and open it, Disable 'Auto reboot' from option menu of Odin

7.Select TWRP (tar image) with AP tab of Odin and Start

8.Once Successfully flashed, you will see 'Passed' in Odin tab

9.Disconnect device and hold Vol down + power till screen goes off, Now immediately press Vol Up + Bixby + Power to reboot to TWRP

10.Select to allow modification

11.From TWRP, Select WIPE menu - Then FORMAT DATA - You need to type 'yes' to perform wipe. WARNING : This will erase all data including Int SD storage from device

12.Once format device completes, go back and select REBOOT' Menu and then - 'RECOVERY', This will reboot to TWRP again

13.Flash no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0 and then Magisk (you can also flash a kernel or xposed)

14.Once flash successfully finish, Reboot to System

14.1 Sometimes the manager doesn't install, you need to just install the manager with the link.

15.Open settings - Developer option - Look for OEM Unlock option. It will automaticaly change to unticked after some reboot don't panic! at the disco it's normal.

16.MAKE A BACKUP IN CASE OF BOOTLOADER RELOCK.

Enjoy ! You have your Galaxy S9 or S9+ watched by the organisation rooted.

Q&A:

Hey F10, why my magisk app isn't appearing or crashing when i lunch it ?
You have to delete the related folders of magisk at this path: /data/app

Hello dev, my phone is bootlooping after the flash help me plz.
You missed the dm-verity flash, just flash it.

Hi i tried to flash a kernel and i lost the root. I don't have any backup what should i do ?
Some kernel when flashing re enable the encryption of the / partition so the only way to go back is the backup. Without that you good to wipe and reflash magisk (and loosing all your data).

Does the magisk 17.2 (Beta) works on my Snine ?
Ya it's works.

Links:

Magisk 17.1 official:
[url]https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=962187416754474353[/URL]
Magisk Manager:
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v5.9.1/MagiskManager-v5.9.1.apk
Xposed Oreo S9:
[url]https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811[/URL]
Twrp S9:
[url]https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys9.html[/URL]
Twrp S9+:
[url]https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys9plus.html[/URL]

Last edited:

ponthere

Dec 26, 2017
update magisk manager

hi , i have already root my device thanks to you but with 16.3 modified version . so to update it do i need to install the 17.1 directly or i need to uninstalle it and install the new one ? thanx for the help:good:
edit : i did all this but nothing workes .
when i install it directly , after the reboot i found magisk but it crash.
i have uninstall it and reinstall but now there is no icon of it ?

Last edited:

frauchgu10

Jan 14, 2017
hi , i have already root my device thanks to you but with 16.3 modified version . so to update it do i need to install the 17.1 directly or i need to uninstalle it and install the new one ? thanx for the help:good:
edit : i did all this but nothing workes .
when i install it directly , after the reboot i found magisk but it crash.
i have uninstall it and reinstall but now there is no icon of it ?

Sometimes the manager disappear, you just need to reinstall it.

https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v5.9.1/MagiskManager-v5.9.1.apk

yahavrave

Aug 9, 2010
Amsterdam
Is it possible to install Magisk without TWRP on the S9+ ?
When I try to patch the boot image I get "Repackaging boot image.... ! Installation fail" The Magisk log file everything seems to work then it ends with " Cleaning up.... ! Installation failed" . I can probably patch the boot.img of the S9+ with my S7 Edge. Any idea if this would work?

frauchgu10

Jan 14, 2017
Is it possible to install Magisk without TWRP on the S9+ ?
When I try to patch the boot image I get "Repackaging boot image.... ! Installation fail" The Magisk log file everything seems to work then it ends with " Cleaning up.... ! Installation failed" . I can probably patch the boot.img of the S9+ with my S7 Edge. Any idea if this would work?

Update with latest firmware from Samsung.

yahavrave

Aug 9, 2010
Amsterdam
Maybe.. But do you think it wil work if I patched the latest boot image (for the S9+) on another phone (S7 Edge). What will happen if I try to flash it via Odin ?

mrwan74

May 28, 2014
Tira
I don't know why but maybe this version is incompatible with this method. I will maybe do some test about that.

hi there,
im unable to root after the august 1 security patch running stock rom G965FXXU2BRGA_G965FOXM2BRG8_ILO on galaxy s9+
my phone lags then freezes permanently after flashing magisk and booting up . i haven't experienced this before the update
any ideas?
im thinking the update probably broke "No Verify Encrypt" because magisk is unable to keep dm-verity enabled .
i discovered this when opening magisk manager,the checkbox for preserve dm verity is not checked,and when i do enabled it it does nothing.tried restarting too
i tried various methods including issuing "echo KEEPVERITY=true>>/data/.magisk" command in recovery terminal after flashing magisk with no success ( i even tried flashing different magisk version ,latest version then the one before it and another one..etc) tried supersu too . i tried everything in "Magisk and MagiskHide Installation and Troubleshooting guide " documented in Magisk Troubleshoot Wiki (Didgeridoohan!)
my steps to rooting is the following :
enabling OEM unlock if not enabled
flashing twrp 3.2.3.0 star2lte
formating data then rebooting to recovery
Installing No Verify Encrypt 6.0 star zip file then rebooting to recovery again
installing rmm state bypass v2
flashing magisk ( tried different versions,customs ones too ,supersu)
rebooting to system
(gathered from various tutorials from highonandriod or other places)

frauchgu10

Jan 14, 2017
When rooted you can't update via OTA. Some games can detect root like pokemon go so you can not play these games without doing some tricks.

mrwan74

May 28, 2014
Tira
When rooted you can't update via OTA. Some games can detect root like pokemon go so you can not play these games without doing some tricks.
could you help me with my problem?
im having trouble with my device rooting,after the first boot my device freezes up and wont respond.
it seems that samsung patched some of the vulnerabilities used by the bypasses to achieve root,
after the august update. the device is unable to sustain the NO Verity OPT encrypt , the device seems to re-encrypt it self after the first boot
thanks alot man

frauchgu10

Jan 14, 2017
im having trouble with my device rooting,after the first boot my device freezes up and wont respond.
it seems that samsung patched some of the vulnerabilities used by the bypasses to achieve root,
after the august update. the device is unable to sustain the NO Verity OPT encrypt , the device seems to re-encrypt it self after the first boot
thanks alot man

I see Samsung reinforced the security I'm trying to do something about that. If you want a stable rom I suggest you to install the soldier9312 rom:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...fd-n-stock-rom-soldier9312-1-0-t3771346/page1

Last edited:
Reactions: mrwan74

mrwan74

May 28, 2014
Tira

@frauchgu10
i came upon some new information that maybe would be helpful
ashyx ,a recognized contributor to the xda community said ,and i quote the following :
"Since Oreo Dm-verity flags are no longer in the Ramdisk. The flags are dtb based.
If the dtb isnt patched or dm-verity disabled in the kernel source then rooting will likely cause a boot loop.
Same goes for disabling forced encryption, the flags are no longer in the Ramdisk fstab, but usually located in the Vendor partition.

Magisk attempts to hex patch the kernel, but when Samsung update the firmware the hex patch offsets change and patching fails."
i hope this helps man
I truly appreciate everyone’s efforts and commitments Thank you for taking time out of your personal time to this :cowboy::cowboy::good::good::good::good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone this a little guide for rooting your Galaxy S9 and S9+ (EXYNOS) with Magisk Official

url]

Quote:
    READ THIS BEFORE ROOTING DEVICE
    - In any case i'm not reponsable of the beginning of the 3rd World War if you find a way to build a time machine with this guide ! So keep your plans of the time machine in a secure place.
    - Any of below said method to root will trip knox and void warranty forever.
    - Root process needs wipe data so make backup of important data (including Internal Device storage) before proceed.
    - As of now you will lose Samsung Pay and Secure folder forever if you root once, even unrooting won't help. (hope in future we can get it working on tripped knox device). Also you may not able to run some banking apps, you can use Magisk Hide
    - OTA likely won't work once you root device.
    - To unroot device completely, simply flash Samsung stock firmware, Remember, Unrooting won't revokes warranty nor you will be able to use Secure folder/Samsung Pay. Once rooted, these feature gone for you unless some magic happen in future and may find a way to use it.

Magisk hide 17.1 isn't working SafetyNet Fail

Take a look at the pictures at the end of this thread.

If your coming from my another thread about the Magisk 16.3 modified

1.Do a /data backup in TWRP
    2.Wipe with TWRP
    3.Use odin to update to the latest firmware from samsung
    4.Root with this guide and restore.

How to proceed

1.Enable Developer Option (settings - about phone - Software information - Tap 7 times on build number to activate developer option in settings menu)

2.Enable OEM Unlock from developer option (if you don't have this option it means that your S9 is incompatible)

3.Download TWRP for S9 or S9+

4.Switch Off device

5.Press Vol down + Bixby + Power to reboot to download mode, press volume up when asked to continue to download mode

6.Download Odin and open it, Disable 'Auto reboot' from option menu of Odin

7.Select TWRP (tar image) with AP tab of Odin and Start

8.Once Successfully flashed, you will see 'Passed' in Odin tab

9.Disconnect device and hold Vol down + power till screen goes off, Now immediately press Vol Up + Bixby + Power to reboot to TWRP

10.Select to allow modification

11.From TWRP, Select WIPE menu - Then FORMAT DATA - You need to type 'yes' to perform wipe. WARNING : This will erase all data including Int SD storage from device

12.Once format device completes, go back and select REBOOT' Menu and then - 'RECOVERY', This will reboot to TWRP again

13.Flash no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0 and then Magisk (you can also flash a kernel or xposed)

14.Once flash successfully finish, Reboot to System

14.1 Sometimes the manager doesn't install, you need to just install the manager with the link.

15.Open settings - Developer option - Look for OEM Unlock option. It will automaticaly change to unticked after some reboot don't panic! at the disco it's normal.

16.MAKE A BACKUP IN CASE OF BOOTLOADER RELOCK.

Enjoy ! You have your Galaxy S9 or S9+ watched by the organisation rooted.

Q&A:

Hey F10, why my magisk app isn't appearing or crashing when i lunch it ?
    You have to delete the related folders of magisk at this path: /data/app

Hello dev, my phone is bootlooping after the flash help me plz.
    You missed the dm-verity flash, just flash it.

Hi i tried to flash a kernel and i lost the root. I don't have any backup what should i do ?
    Some kernel when flashing re enable the encryption of the / partition so the only way to go back is the backup. Without that you good to wipe and reflash magisk (and loosing all your data).

Does the magisk 17.2 (Beta) works on my Snine ?
    Ya it's works.

Links:

Magisk 17.1 official:
    [url]https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=962187416754474353[/URL]
    Magisk Manager:
    Xposed Oreo S9:
    [url]https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811[/URL]
    Twrp S9:
    [url]https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys9.html[/URL]
    Twrp S9+:
    [url]https://twrp.me/samsung/samsunggalaxys9plus.html[/URL]
    I looked up the latest frimewares for your device on sammobile
    https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s9/SM-G960U/
    yes it seems you can root as the latest frimwares for different carriers in the US ,are mostly aug or july security patches.
    multiple users reported and confirmed that ( myself included, S9+ Aug security patch )

Download dr.ketans tool V4 (Link in OP) From TWRP flash V4
    - select OEM patch + Select Patched kernel for S9+ + select magisk (must else device won't boot)
    check for OEM toggle,if its there then nothing to worry you can safely reboot

960u is snapdragon not Exynos so that won't work.

Snapdragon variants cannot be rooted
    thanks alot man

I see Samsung reinforced the security I'm trying to do something about that. If you want a stable rom I suggest you to install the soldier9312 rom:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...fd-n-stock-rom-soldier9312-1-0-t3771346/page1
    When I enable OEM unlock do I have to reboot and wipe and then install twrp or install twrp without wiping ?
    The phone does an automatic factory reset when you enable OEM unlock and then reboot.
    yes infact you do have to wipe in TWRP in order to install magisk,flash twrp ,boot into twrp select wipe ,then format data.then reboot into recovery again and afterwards continue as stated in the first post in this thread
    if you are confused on how to install TWRP here's a guide to help

https://youtu.be/uYYyxWH3xew?t=647
    also if you want a working root method you need to flash a different file than this guide ( you need a patched kernel)
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s9-plus/how-to/guide-root-s9-oem-fix-t3763974
    this was reported working ,good luck
    Thanks! It works.

But when i install xposed, my screen stays off. It takes 2 or 3 minutes on every boot.

But that is better than before

Touchwiz isn't very happy when xposed is installed. Sometimes it freezes or even bootloops.
    I suggest you to change your kernel with this one of soldier9312 https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s9/samsung-galaxy-s9--s9-cross-device-development/kernel-stock-kernel-patched-ramdisk-t3774049.