• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Root Gigaset GS4

Search This thread

Wolfgang-Z

Oct 25, 2020
Here is, what I did: (on your own risk)
As far as i can remember, i did not have any issues.

Step 1: Unlock your device
1. Enable Developer Options: Tap 10x on Build-Number (Setttings -> About the phone -> Build-Number)
2. Enable Bootloader Unlocking -> activate OEM-Unlock option (Settings -> System -> (More) -> Developer-Options)
3. Enable ADB Access -> Enable USB-Debugging / ADB (Settings -> System -> (More) -> Developer-Options)
4. (Set USB-Settings (Message-Center) from "No tx" to "PTP")
5. Connect phone to usb port, grant permissions on phone and check connection with `adb devices`
6. Boot to bootloader: `adb reboot bootloader`
7. Unlock Bootloader: `fastboot flashing unlock`

Step 2: Download GSI
1. Reboot your phone and install Treble Info App
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.hack5.treblecheck&hl=en&gl=US)
GS4 should support AB-Partitions
2. Download GSI: https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/
For GS4: treble_arm64_bv*

Step 3: Install GSI
1. Boot to recovery: `adb reboot recovery` or Volume Down + Power
2. Wipe data
3. Wipe cache
4. Enter fastboot
5. Flash GSI: `fastboot flash system <extracted-gsi-image>`
6. Reboot and enjoy
*. (just in case it does not boot, reboot to recovery -> enter fastboot and flash vbmeta: `fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img`)
This vbmeta-image should work: https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/patched-vbmeta-v2-img.5034407/
I think I'll wait for a twrp port. This seems a little too risky without the ability to do a backup first

ChrisMucDev

May 28, 2020
I don't want to persuade you to do it, but maybe I can take some of the fear away. As you are flashing just the system partition, your recovery still remains untouched. So, as long as you have the stock ROM, you could go back anytime. I created a stock ROM backup with SP Flash Tool (see post #4), and in post #12 you'll find a link to download the stock ROM, created by StarMiner99.
Maybe (not checked) you can also do a backup of the system-partition only, using adb shell, dd and adb pull
```
$ adb shell
# dd of=/sdcard/system.img if=/dev/block/mmcblkXXXX
# exit
$ adb pull /sdcard/system.img
```

realinfoman

Oct 21, 2020
Hi, thanks for the work for GS4.

I tried the root method with vmeta and patched magisk -> it works but security net test fails. a new magisk install fails, because /dev/block/mmcblk0p33 is r/o. Is there any hint to get it r/w?

afte a time, i tried to flash lineage gsi -> it doesnt work. I get "operation not permitted" when fastboot reaches the 4th partition to flash.

I tried fastboot after adb reboot bootloader and adb reboot recovery -> selected fastboot

Both Fastmodes modes seems to be different. My attempt to flash lineage leads to bootloop and flashing vbmeta didnt help. Only sp flash and stockrom helped to get gs4 working again.

Are there additional steps to get lineage gsi on this phone?

RealSly

Sep 11, 2013
I had a firmware update yesterday. After the update, root access was gone. Therefore, I have re-flashed the boot.img and the vbmeta.img. After the restart, I had root access again, but WLAN and Bluetooth no longer work.
I need help urgently, please.

StarMiner99

May 27, 2021
I haven't updated yet. Because im currently not at home but ill take a look at it as soon as im at home. A quick fix would be flashing the stock boot.img provided in one of my posts(#12). But first of all try a quick reboot.
I had a firmware update yesterday. After the update, root access was gone. Therefore, I have re-flashed the boot.img and the vbmeta.img. After the restart, I had root access again, but WLAN and Bluetooth no longer work.
I need help urgently, please.

Last edited:

StarMiner99

May 27, 2021
I just downloaded the update and because they are saved under /data/ota_package i was able to copy the zip update file.
Screenshot_20210822-192617.png

StarMiner99

May 27, 2021
Hi, thanks for the work for GS4.

I tried the root method with vmeta and patched magisk -> it works but security net test fails. a new magisk install fails, because /dev/block/mmcblk0p33 is r/o. Is there any hint to get it r/w?

afte a time, i tried to flash lineage gsi -> it doesnt work. I get "operation not permitted" when fastboot reaches the 4th partition to flash.

I tried fastboot after adb reboot bootloader and adb reboot recovery -> selected fastboot

Both Fastmodes modes seems to be different. My attempt to flash lineage leads to bootloop and flashing vbmeta didnt help. Only sp flash and stockrom helped to get gs4 working again.

Are there additional steps to get lineage gsi on this phone?
you need to bee in fastbootd not fastboot just boot into recovery and select fastboot it will work then.
also only flash the SYSTEM partition.

Last edited:

StarMiner99

May 27, 2021
I managed to port TWRP to the Gigaset GS4 using this tool: https://awesomeopensource.com/project/SebaUbuntu/TWRP-device-tree-generator and copying the stock fstab files from the recovery ramdisk.
GitHub repo:

There currently is one major problem i could use help with:
TWRP mounts the userdata partition but only displays weird folder names. Probably because the storage is encrypted
Does anyone know if TWRP supports Encryption and if yes how to enable it in the device tree.

Current Status:
userdata is unreadable

Blocking checks
- [x] Correct screen/recovery size
- [x] Working Touch, screen
- [-] Backup to internal/microSD <-- microsd only /data encryption breaks this
- [-] Restore from internal/microSD <--- /\
- [x] reboot to system
- [x] ADB

Medium checks
- [ ] update.zip sideload <-- normal adb probably broke this one (worked before)
- [x] UI colors (red/blue inversions)
- [x] Screen goes off and on
- [-] F2FS/EXT4 Support, exFAT/NTFS where supported <-- f2fs not working. Fat32 is also working
- [x] all important partitions listed in mount/backup lists <-- in backup list everything is displayed as 0mb as soon as you make a backup the partition sizes get updated. Data is broken because of encryption.
- [?] backup/restore to/from external (USB-OTG) storage (not supported by the device) <-- probably yes
- [x] backup/restore to/from adb (https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/15943/)
- [ ] decrypt /data
- [-] Correct date <-- change time zone in settings. Time isnt visible due to the front camera resets after every reboot :\

Minor checks
- [x] MTP export <--- internal storage is accesible via mtp after first reboot
- [x] reboot to bootloader
- [x] reboot to recovery
- [x] poweroff <-- sometimes triggers a reboot
- [x] battery level
- [x] temperature
- [?] encrypted backups <-- cant find a button to encrypt it so i dont know
- [?] input devices via USB (USB-OTG) - keyboard, mouse and disks (not supported by the device)
- [?] USB mass storage export
- [x] set brightness
- [x] vibrate
- [?] screenshot <-- idk i have linux (there is a script for windows)
- [ ] partition SD card <-- unable to remove partition table

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is there an update of TWRP?

Is it still possible to root?
    I am working on making the TWRP Build official.
    And yes it is still possible to root.
    I added instructions on how to install twrp to this post https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-gigaset-gs4.4219439/post-85111317
    I also added the twrp recovery image
    [HOW TO ROOT AND HOW TO INSTALL TWRP]

DISCLAIMER:
    I will not be responsible for any damage to you device !!!!

step 1 :
    make a backup of your smartphone data
    step 2 :
    unlock your bootloader
    1. go to settings -> about phone -> click a few times on the build number
    2. go to settings -> system -> developer options -> allow OEM unlocking
    step 3 :
    install adb and fastboot on your computer
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-2-9-18.2317790/ <- you can download a minimal version here
    step 4 :
    enable usb debugging
    go to settings -> system -> developer options -> enable usb-debugging
    step 5 :
    open a console on your computer and do the adb and fastboot stuff
    type the following commands into your cmd:
    adb reboot bootloader <- this will reboot your smartphone into fastboot mode
    wait until your phone enters fastboot mode
    as soon as your phone entered fastboot mode type the following:
    fastboot flashing unlock <- this will unlock your bootloader you have to press volume up to confirm it
    then flash vbmeta and magisk patched:
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_disabled.img <- this will flash the new vbmeta file

[ROOT]
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-23000_tvNQq.img <- this will flash the new boot image
    [TWRP]
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img <- this will flash the new recovery image
    step 6 :
    reboot your phone and reconfigure it

Youre Done!
    [STOCK ROM + SCATTER FILES + PRELOADER]
    here are the stock rom files, the scatter file and the preloader in a zip archive
    Hi guys. Is there any root method for the Gigaset Gs4? Thanks.
    well there arent any unneeded apps :p
    Is there a tutorial on how to do that?

Here is, what I did: (on your own risk)
    As far as i can remember, i did not have any issues.

Step 1: Unlock your device
    1. Enable Developer Options: Tap 10x on Build-Number (Setttings -> About the phone -> Build-Number)
    2. Enable Bootloader Unlocking -> activate OEM-Unlock option (Settings -> System -> (More) -> Developer-Options)
    3. Enable ADB Access -> Enable USB-Debugging / ADB (Settings -> System -> (More) -> Developer-Options)
    4. (Set USB-Settings (Message-Center) from "No tx" to "PTP")
    5. Connect phone to usb port, grant permissions on phone and check connection with `adb devices`
    6. Boot to bootloader: `adb reboot bootloader`
    7. Unlock Bootloader: `fastboot flashing unlock`

Step 2: Download GSI
    1. Reboot your phone and install Treble Info App
    (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.hack5.treblecheck&hl=en&gl=US)
    GS4 should support AB-Partitions
    2. Download GSI: https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/
    For GS4: treble_arm64_bv*

Step 3: Install GSI
    1. Boot to recovery: `adb reboot recovery` or Volume Down + Power
    2. Wipe data
    3. Wipe cache
    4. Enter fastboot
    5. Flash GSI: `fastboot flash system <extracted-gsi-image>`
    6. Reboot and enjoy
    *. (just in case it does not boot, reboot to recovery -> enter fastboot and flash vbmeta: `fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img`)
    This vbmeta-image should work (see post #6): https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/vbmeta_disabled-img.5325563/