Root Google pixel 2 xl - android 11

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
We could, but it's important to note that if you have a Verizon Pixel 2 XL, root is NOT POSSIBLE.

Anyway, assuming you have the correct P2XL, the rooting instructions we give here in the forums haven't changed appreciably since they were written. For Android 11, they still apply, with the caveat that you currently have to use the "Canary" version of Magisk (i.e. the development channel version of Magisk) in order for root to work.

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan

MridulDR

Jun 17, 2020
Just not able to root my Pixel 2 XL running Android 11

Make sure you are using Canary Magisk Manager and flashing Canary Magisk.
Brother please help me out. I've tried everything but I am just unable to root my pixel 2 xl running the latest android version (11).
I tried patching the boot image with latest canary build and it always outputs an image file which is of 0 bytes.
Then I tried patching the boot image with latest magisk manager (not canary), it was able to output a file which was around 25 MB in size but flashing it always results in boot loop.
Finally, I tried to patch my boot image using some other device with magisk canary (latest) and the output image was about 25 MB in size but again after flashing it, the device goes into boot loop.

--UPDATE--
I was finally able to root my device by simply flashing the latest magisk zip file (v 21.0) via TWRP

Last edited:

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
--UPDATE--
I was finally able to root my device by simply flashing the latest magisk zip file (v 21.0)
Yes, just to clarify for others reading this, topjohnwu pushed Magisk 21 to the beta channel. It should be on the stable channel shortly, so there will soon be no need to deviate from the established rooting instructions we have in the forums.

wabmorgan

May 4, 2011
Thanks pro
After install magisk I can't boot system .. always reboot !!!!
How can fix it
I had that happen. Unfortunately, the only solution I found was to use the online Google flash tool and flash back to the previous install. Fortunately, it worked. I updated to 11 from there. I may leave it uprooted because currently the Pixel 2 XL is a backup phone and I don't need root currently.