[ROOT][GUIDE][2018] Enable Google Play Services & Play Store

Search This thread

relic

Aug 15, 2006

relic

Aug 15, 2006
Without HandleExternalStorage, I guess?

Yes without. Should I enable it?

Firestick 1 is not that slow. I had an older ROM on it and everything I played on it was running fine with no choppy frames.
I am wondering if it's from the latest ROM or youtube only. Will do more tests this week.

Last edited:

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
Yes without. Should I enable it?

No, this is not necessary, as XInstaller is sufficient.

Firestick 1 is not that slow. I had an older ROM on it and everything I played on it was running fine with no choppy frames.
I am wondering if it's from the latest ROM or youtube only. Will do more tests this week.

Feel free to post your results here.

danthecoolboy

Nov 3, 2012
Milky Way - Earth
No, the Open GApps have nothing to do with FireOS 6 and Android 7.1

Does not gapps differ from android os versions? Opengapps website seems to offer different downloads for various android os versions. Since, FireOS 5 is based on Lollipop and FireOS 6 is based on Nougat, would they not require different versions of OpenGapps? Your download links currently both point to lollipop for both of them.

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
Does not gapps differ from android os versions? Opengapps website seems to offer different downloads for various android os versions. Since, FireOS 5 is based on Lollipop and FireOS 6 is based on Nougat, would they not require different versions of OpenGapps? Your download links currently both point to lollipop for both of them.

Exactly, Lollipop is the corresponding Android version (5.1.x) of the two Fire TV sticks and the Fire TV boxes 1st and 2nd gen. Therefore I link to the GApps 5.1 (tvstock).

Since no root is possible on Fire TV 3 & Cube (Android 7), my guide cannot be executed either.

relic

Aug 15, 2006
Unfortunately Google play and firestick 1 is way too slow and buggy. I'm not sure if 5.2.6 could be culprit. I reverted back to 5.2.4.1 as FTVS1 runs very smooth using it.

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
Guide has been extended with instructions on how to remove Google Account and sign in with another account or new or with the same one :)

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
At one point, I had Google Play installed on my Fire TV 1, but it stopped working. Is there a way to uninstall all Google related items and start over without wiping? I'll wipe if I need to, but would like to avoid it if possible. As I said, I have the FireTV 1 with Rbox's latest rooted ROM with Xposed installed (correctly!)

At one point, I had Google Play installed on my Fire TV 1, but it stopped working. Is there a way to uninstall all Google related items and start over without wiping? I'll wipe if I need to, but would like to avoid it if possible. As I said, I have the FireTV 1 with Rbox's latest rooted ROM with Xposed installed (correctly!)

Do you have tried to clear the cache from google play store? Maybe this helps.
Or try to install the latest opengapps with the config text File.

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich

Remove Google Account and sign in again :)

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
Do you have tried to clear the cache from google play store? Maybe this helps.
Or try to install the latest opengapps with the config text File.

Remove Google Account and sign in again :)

I've cleared caches, installed updated play store (android TV version), and logged in. It gives me error 406 when I try to install an app. How do you specifically remove the google account from the system to start over? I feel like this should be easy, but can't figure it out.

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
...look at first post here ;)

OK, thanks, found it! I reset my Google account and still get the error. I'm trying to install SuperSU Pro on here that's linked to my account. After searching the store, I try to install, it says "Can't download app. Error Code 406" I tried wired/wireless connections both. So despite what the first page says, it couldn't solve my issue. Looks like I need to reset and reinstall rbox's ROM?

edit: I reformatted every partition, reinstalled everything perfectly according to the first page. Everything worked well I thought. I can install random free apps from the play store (Kodi, etc) but anything purchased is a no go (SuperSU Pro). I still get the error 406. Anybody?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hereby discontinue support for my Fire TV Guides and Apps. I've been a big fan of Fire TV devices for the last 2-3 years, but Amazon has now with each firmware further limited the possibilities of a configurable Android environment and even destroyed standard Android commands. This goes too far for me now.

I can recommend the following devices to anyone who wants to have a reasonable and much better Android TV experience, which I now use myself and am enthusiastic about:
    • Mi Box
    • Mi Box S
    • Sony Android TV (ATV3 platform, eg. XF7, XF8, XF9 or higher)
    Thank you very much for all you do.
    do i need to modify gapps-config.txt and reinstall gapps? as i see leanback launcher is on the text and it wasnt on this guide

Yes, you need gapps-config.txt from the other guide and have to reinstall gapps. But you can skip step 5. Allow Google registration (NoTouchAuthDelegate).
    I'm following the guide on my AFTV 2 box and I keep getting an "Insufficient storage space available in System partition" error 70 when attempting to install the tvstock GApps package. I created and pushed the new "gapps-config.txt" file.

Has anyone else had this problem on their Fire TV 2? Should I remove some of the apps from the tvstock package, or try again with a nano or pico GApps install?

Thanks.

from this guide use step 11. Optional: Make room on the system partition - Please only execute if you have no more space on system!
    That was beautiful and it worked like a GD charm. Thank you so much for the guide, the files, and the quick response.

If you should ever need one of the removed apps again, you will find a backup of the removed apps here ;)