[ROOT] [GUIDE] [ATHENE] How to Root Moto G4 plus v.6.0.1

Search This thread

guessingagain

Jul 28, 2016
Experimental :-
***If you encounter errors with WI-FI - failing to stay on, passwords not saving, taking a long time to turn on, then you need to edit a line in build.prop

Hi.
I'm stuck here with my wifi disabled. My phone is XT1626, which is the dual SIM brazillian flavor of Moto G 4 (2016). What boot.img would already have securestorage support turned off and be compatible with my device? Here are the actual build.prop in the attachment.

EDIT: I just managed to add ro.securestorage.support=false to my build.prop but wifi still does not work.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Ok lets try this one !!
:fingers-crossed: :fingers-crossed:

And Super_su_V.2.62.3 ::- http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3655401&d=1456122222

***If you encounter errors with WI-FI - failing to stay on, passwords not saving, taking a long time to turn on, then you need to edit a line in build.prop

This didn't work for my XT1626.

What about the latest SuperSU?

raul3k

Jul 3, 2012
Hello guys...
I was stucked with the wifi issue, also in the developer mode, I can't disabled the usb debug mode...my adb was not able to connect to my phone.

As many asked about XT1640 (Brazilian version), it works! =)

What I did to get back my wifi and stuff.

Just downloaded the right boot.img to my phone (stock version).

The link to the boot.img is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Sq6CeYxhzNVVBsT1RodlZLeFE.

Just flash it to yout phone, install supersu, wipe cache/dalvik...

there you go: root with wifi working again =)

Thanks everyone

Stefano 99

Nov 12, 2015
Torino
Hi,
i've an xt1642, european g4+, unlocked and with official 3.0.2-0 TWRP
I've flashed the modified boot.img and the supersu v2.63zip but i don't have supersu installed! Also, i've problems with wifi.
How can I solve these issues?

Thanks,
Stefano99

guessingagain

Jul 28, 2016
I tried SR5-SuperSU-v2.78-SR5-20161130091551.zip and BETA-SuperSU-v2.62-3-20151211162651.zip. These were the exact names of the files I downloaded. I've tried both before and after flashing the defective boot.img. Both didn't get installed.

Enviado do meu C6843 usando XDA Forums
Try this with latest SuperSU. No need to flash TWRP is it's already there. Just flash stock boot.img before starting to be sure.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g4-plus/how-to/root-systemless-rooting-supersu-2-74-2-t3405772

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
Hi,
i've an xt1642, european g4+, unlocked and with official 3.0.2-0 TWRP
I've flashed the modified boot.img and the supersu v2.63zip but i don't have supersu installed! Also, i've problems with wifi.
How can I solve these issues?

Thanks,
Stefano99
Have you installed super su app from my playstore? Have you edited the build.prop like mentioned in op?

darkglobe87

Apr 28, 2012
Does anyone have any info on the non-plus versions? I'm trying to root a UK Moto G4 which is already on Nougat.

XT1622, to be precise. Seems to be very little info on this model, which is infuriating since I bought the G4 as my old G3 was so easy to find resources/info for!

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Does anyone have any info on the non-plus versions? I'm trying to root a UK Moto G4 which is already on Nougat.

XT1622, to be precise. Seems to be very little info on this model, which is infuriating since I bought the G4 as my old G3 was so easy to find resources/info for!

Here's a guide to root using SuperSU (both G4 and G4 Plus models on Nougat) https://forum.xda-developers.com/mo...de-root-moto-g4-plus-supersu-android-t3587918

I've obtained root by flashing ElementalX and SuperSU v2.79 SR3 beta on my XT 1642 and there's reports in that thread this works on our sister device, the XT 1622. Make a backup of your system before rooting, regardless and good luck either way.

Last edited:

idonthaveaaccount

Jun 26, 2017
PLEASE HELP!!!!! I have tried rooting my Moto G4 and its sorta bricked now or whatever it isnt in bootloop it just havent internet which makes it boring and i cant access to my files right! Its like when you dont have the driver when u install windows 7 on disk. You dont see any routers nearby to login to. I cant access build.prop file and i dont know how to access in windows 7 / fastboot. And idk how to flash a stock rom / custom rom. I cant restore it to default with TWRP Backup

Z

zeomal

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I have tried rooting my Moto G4 and its sorta bricked now or whatever it isnt in bootloop it just havent internet which makes it boring and i cant access to my files right! Its like when you dont have the driver when u install windows 7 on disk. You dont see any routers nearby to login to. I cant access build.prop file and i dont know how to access in windows 7 / fastboot. And idk how to flash a stock rom / custom rom. I cant restore it to default with TWRP Backup
Steps:
1. Calm down.
2. If you can see routers (networks), you must have been able to login to your OS. That means it isn't bricked.
3. You can't access build.prop without root access.
4. Don't know how to flash using Fastboot? Don't know how to flash stock ROM? Sorry, mate, but you have no option but to learn. Learn to use Google, learn basics of Fastboot.
5. If everything is going wrong, and you're not able to come to Fastboot/Recovery, hold your power button down for around 2 to 3 minutes. This is a soft reset.
6. Use this thread to figure out which stock ROM to flash according to your device.
7. Please, if you're unwilling to learn, forget about rooting your device and take it to the service centre. They'll fix it for you.

R.V. Panda

Nov 19, 2017
twrp corrupted

Thank you very much for the detailed tutorial. I'll just list a few things that I encountered during the process, if it helps anyone.

1) during TWRP flash, the 'flash recovery' command did not do anything the first time (completed, but recovery did not change). I tried the same command again, and this time it worked.

2) after flashing superSU.zip and rebooting, SuperSU did not show up. I installed it from the play store, and it worked.

3)Installed the SELinuxModChanger.apk, and tried changing to permissive. Even though SuperSU granted root access, the app failed to gain root privileges. Changed the 'force user' option in SuperSU for the app to ROOT, and it worked.

4)ES explorer couldn't gain root access no matter what I changed. ("sorry, test failed"). This happens because ES checks for 'su' files in /system/xbin, and our root method is systemless.
To fix it, I copied all files from /su/bin to /system/xbin and set permissions (using another root explorer, like fx or solid trial).

5)I had an older version of titanium backup, which couldn't gain root access. Updated to new version, and it worked. Backup and Restore works now.

It was easy finding solutions for these problems. You just need a search engine :cowboy:

hey . . . i am also having moto g4 but after unlocking when i tried to fastboot flash recovery it showd corrupted plzz help

____Mdd

Jul 26, 2016
hey . . . i am also having moto g4 but after unlocking when i tried to fastboot flash recovery it showd corrupted plzz help

NOTE: this guide is only for 6.0.1, if you try it on 7.0, you will have nothing but a soft bricked device. See guide section and search for NOUGAT rooting guide..

For TWRP, use sheep's TWRP( link below)
And error: "image not signed or corrupt" is ignorable. Just check you are getting "OKAY" when command ends.
Then first boot into TWRP after flash, otherwise booting to system will erase TWRP, so boot TWRP first, not to system.

Sheep's TWRP: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mo...covery-twrp-3-0-2-r3-moto-g4-g4-plus-t3494337

yuokay2018

Aug 3, 2018
Virus file

Can't download ''Modifieded Sysytem-less boot.img ( XT1641 / XT1643 )'' Virus?

have someone alternative download link?

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Can't download ''Modifieded Sysytem-less boot.img ( XT1641 / XT1643 )'' Virus?

have someone alternative download link?

This is a really old method of rooting... If you're still on 6.0.1, then you could look into this method here, where you don't need a modified boot image as SuperSU or magisk should do it for you https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g4-plus/how-to/root-systemless-rooting-supersu-2-74-2-t3405772

If you're running 7.0, you need to flash a custom kernel before rooting (e.g. ElementalX or possibly Loony kernel) else you'll boot loop. https://forum.xda-developers.com/mo...de-root-moto-g4-plus-supersu-android-t3587918

Reactions: Darkwen_

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include 
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

~~~This is System-Less Root For Moto g4 Plus~~~

Tested :-
    XT1641 / XT1642 / XT1643

Pre-Requisite : Unlocking Bootloader Is Compulsory Before Proceeding

Requirements

Instructions :
    1. Unlock your Bootloader Guide Here
    2. Download SuperSU and copy it into INTERNAL SDCARD.
    3. Flash Custom TWRP recovery Guide Here
    4. Connect your phone with PC
    5. Open Boot-loader on Phone
    6. Extract Root-motog4-athena.zip and run ROOT.bat (it will flash custom boot.img)
    7.Now Flash Supersu.zip From TWRP recovery.

Experimental :-
    Code:
    ro.securestorage.support=false

Video Guide :-

Credit :
    @yeshwanthvshenoy : TWRP and Unlock Guide
    @Silesh.Nair @julioolares : Great Teasters
    @vvaibhavv : For original boot.img
    @morgenman42 : FOR XT1642 model patch boot.img
    AMiT SiNGH : Video Tutorial

Dont Copy Files/Post Without Asking Me.
    Give Proper Credits !!
    Thank you very much for the detailed tutorial. I'll just list a few things that I encountered during the process, if it helps anyone.

1) during TWRP flash, the 'flash recovery' command did not do anything the first time (completed, but recovery did not change). I tried the same command again, and this time it worked.

2) after flashing superSU.zip and rebooting, SuperSU did not show up. I installed it from the play store, and it worked.

3)Installed the SELinuxModChanger.apk, and tried changing to permissive. Even though SuperSU granted root access, the app failed to gain root privileges. Changed the 'force user' option in SuperSU for the app to ROOT, and it worked.

4)ES explorer couldn't gain root access no matter what I changed. ("sorry, test failed"). This happens because ES checks for 'su' files in /system/xbin, and our root method is systemless.
    To fix it, I copied all files from /su/bin to /system/xbin and set permissions (using another root explorer, like fx or solid trial).

5)I had an older version of titanium backup, which couldn't gain root access. Updated to new version, and it worked. Backup and Restore works now.

It was easy finding solutions for these problems. You just need a search engine :cowboy:
    ~~~This is System-Less Root For Moto g4 Plus~~~

Instructions :
    1. Unlock your Bootloader Guide Here
    2. Download SuperSU and copy it into INTERNAL SDCARD.
    3. Flash Custom TWRP recovery Guide Here
    4. Connect your phone with PC
    5. Open Boot-loader on Phone
    6. Extract Root-motog4-athena.zip and run ROOT.bat (it will flash custom boot.img)
    7.Now Flash Supersu.zip From TWRP recovery.
    You can do this without modified boot.img, if you follow the below link. This is especially true when the 1644 doesn't have one and people use wrong boot.img files for it.
    All that needs to be done is to write a ".supersu" file for systemless rooting:
    TWRP -> Advanced -> Terminal -> Type the follow code:
    Code:
    echo "SYSTEMLESS=true" > /data/.supersu

Credit:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g4-plus/how-to/root-systemless-rooting-supersu-2-74-2-t3405772
    Just rooted my Moto G4 Plus. Good tutorial. I have also made a video about it. It might help you guys out

Doesn't work. No wifi. I have the 1643 model.

If you can modify the attached boot image, I can check.

Ok lets try this one !!
    :fingers-crossed: :fingers-crossed:

And Super_su_V.2.62.3 ::- http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3655401&d=1456122222

Code:
    ro.securestorage.support=false