How To Guide Root Guide for Galaxy Tab S8/S8+/S8Ultra

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
That's insane, how is it that the S22 doesn't allow this but the Tab S8 does. I wanted to jump on Samsung's wagon this cycle, the lack of root on the snapdragon variant alone stopped me.
I agree. When I bought my factory (SIM) unlocked Note 10+ (which I loved the hardware but hated the software on) in 2020, I thought I'd be able to unlock the bootloader since it wasn't tied to any specific carrier version of Note 10+. I went back to Pixel (6 Pro) although I hate being without a MicroSD slot - but recent Samsung flagships don't even give that.

I apologize for off-topic.

For the record, at least in the United States, if you buy a carrier-version of any Tab S8 variant, then you can't unlock the bootloader. So, only non-carrier Wi-Fi models in the U.S. can have the bootloader unlocked.

Valiante

Jul 7, 2013
Fantastic job with this guide, everything was clear. Quick word about the Microsoft Redistributables you need the older versions in order to run Frija, I believe that's 2008 and 2010 x86 (not x64).

Upon reboot, I also had to reinstall Magisk from Github.

Otherwise it's all good and everything worked exactly like it was supposed to.

Now time to permanently uninstall some bloat lol

EDIT: Stick to the Samsung Debloat list for safe removables, I went a little "root" crazy uninstalling random things. Now I have to reflash the tablet and start from the beginning LOL

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Is it possible to network unlock a tab s8+ 5g without rooting it?
If you mean the same as SIM unlock or carrier unlock, as far as I know, you can't achieve that with root either. Only the carrier can carrier unlock a device.

Edit: Also, normally a rooted device is already SIM unlocked, as it's very common that although SIM unlocking and bootloader unlocking are separate, there is no way to achieve bootloader unlock until a device is already SIM unlocked. And bootloader unlock is required for root.

Reactions: TiTiB and robq391

robq391

Jun 30, 2022
If you mean the same as SIM unlock or carrier unlock, as far as I know, you can't achieve that with root either. Only the carrier can carrier unlock a device.

Edit: Also, normally a rooted device is already SIM unlocked, as it's very common that although SIM unlocking and bootloader unlocking are separate, there is no way to achieve bootloader unlock until a device is already SIM unlocked. And bootloader unlock is required for root.
Thank you

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Arial91

Jul 14, 2022
Hi guys

I got my s8 ultra 5g eu version.

I never rooted a device and i wanted to know what pluses do i get from rooting it?

I only got into this idea because i want to use it as a linux machine with high portability.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi guys

I never rooted a device and i wanted to know what pluses do i get from rooting it?

I only got into this idea because i want to use it as a linux machine with high portability.
Hello! Welcome to XDA. I like being able to use Swift Backup to backup all apps and all app data to the cloud. I also like to Automate some things that require root to do so. There are more reasons but they mostly apply to other devices such as my Pixel 6 Pro. Off the top of my head, this early in my morning, I can't think of any other reasons why I root other than that if it wasn't rooted and I suddenly thought of a modification I want to do which requires root, and I don't want to do a factory reset after I've had the tablet up and running the way I like for months.

But that's technically a reason to unlock the bootloader, and not necessarily a reason to already be rooted, since unlocking the bootloader is what triggers a factory reset, so I always unlock the bootloader on my device immediately when I get it, before setting it up the way I like.

Reactions: Arial91 and Vinsang

TiTiB

Jun 19, 2015
Earth, for now
Hi guys

The main reason for me is to have control of what apps are installed and their behavior (actual ownership of my device, if you will).

Uninstalling, Freezing, Permissions Modification are things I always do when I first get a device. Not a fan of Google or Samsung apps—love Samsung's hardware, though.

I end up uninstalling or freezing about 140 'things' on each of the Samsung tablets I've owned.

UmiCat

OEM Unlocking Missing
OK so I ended up getting S8 5G. (using UK model in the UK). It has just arrived... but now I am hitting the familiar problem with not finding OEM Unlocking on Developer Options.

I've tried usual tricks: (1) turn off 'automatic data and time' and set it to some earlier date (currently on 1 May 2022) & reboot; (2) turn off 'Auto update system' on DO; (3) turn off 'Auto download over wifi' on Software update; (4) connect to wifi and wait & reboot; (4) also briefly turn on Mobile Data; (5) factory reset & reboot.

So far, nothing has worked. I can't believe my bad luck...! Can anyone help me??!! I am on X706BXXU1AVC5 (Android Security Patch - 1 Feb 2022). I could update the firmware to see how it goes, but it could take me to a U2 bootloader (X706BXXU2AVE4), which you can't downgrade to U1 (and in another thread I read someone trying to find OEM Unlocking (just like me) on U2... so I want to avoid it if I can).

I am stuck at Step 1 - 3 in Post #3 in this thread (amazing guide, btw!). Can I proceed to Download Mode without turning on OEM Unlocking? Or would I not get the prompt? Also, can I re-flash the same version of firmware on Odin? Or would Odin not work on a device with a locked bootloader?

I once managed to hard-brick a brand-new S7 in the same process. So I really want to be careful. ... does anyone know who might be able to help me 'remotely'?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

• Wow

UmiCat

Problem solved (for now). I updated the software OTA, and now I can see OEM Unlocking... Phew. I will proceed to the next (harder) step. I have experience with rooting android devices for a good few years, and have rooted quite a few devices. But my last experience with killing S7 has made me completely paranoid!

• Love

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Problem solved (for now). I updated the software OTA, and now I can see OEM Unlocking... Phew. I will proceed to the next (harder) step. I have experience with rooting android devices for a good few years, and have rooted quite a few devices. But my last experience with killing S7 has made me completely paranoid!
Glad you solved the immediate issue. Follow the appropriate steps in post #3 of this thread to the letter - measure twice, flash once, and you'll be fine.

Just make sure when/if you go to update your tablet whenever there are new OTAs to follow the appropriate steps for that, also in post #3. Almost exactly the same steps but with one crucial difference (otherwise you'll have to wipe your device and start over).

UmiCat

Glad you solved the immediate issue. Follow the appropriate steps in post #3 of this thread to the letter - measure twice, flash once, and you'll be fine.

Just make sure when/if you go to update your tablet whenever there are new OTAs to follow the appropriate steps for that, also in post #3. Almost exactly the same steps but with one crucial difference (otherwise you'll have to wipe your device and start over).
Actually I spoke too soon! I am back to square 1. When I followed the instruction to get the prompt for unlocking, I got something a green screen saying 'Warning: A custom OS can cause critical problems bla bla'... then I pressed Volume up (as instructed to continue), I got the green screen saying 'downloading' with knox info etc. There, I still got OEM Lock: ON (U1). I rebooted then now the OS is updated but OEM Unlocking is gone!

So in Step 1 of the instruction (post #3):
  • 6. Press and hold volume up for 5 seconds, the screen will change to a confirmation prompt
  • 7. Press volume up again to confirm, the tablet will reboot
I thought I would get a prompt specifically for unlocking, but I got the generic warning above (a custom OS....). Then when I pressed Vol up, the tab didn't reboot, but I got the Downloading... green screen. I am now probably worse off as I am with the up-to-date firmware while I have yet again lost OEM Unlocking! As far as I know, I haven't heard that UK mobile carriers prevent bootloader unlocking. There was someone in the UK in this thread saying they managed to unlock their S8 ultra 5G (mine is S8, but probably wouldn't be any different). Totally stuck...!

• Wow

UmiCat

I am beginning to suspect my device is built bootloader unlockable. I have since managed to get OEM Unlocking a couple of times (very randomly), but still couldn't get Unlock Bootloader? prompt. I am stuck on download mode 'downloading...' without an option to press Vol + for Unlock Bootloader? prompt. Has anyone experienced the same? How did you solve it?

If you have your Tab 8 series rooted / bootloader unlocked, could you kindly check the following commands on ADB and let me know what you got (and your model)?:

Code:
adb devices
adb shell getprop ro.oem_unlock_supported
adb shell getprop sys.oem_unlock_allowed

I got no return for ro.oem, and 1 for sys.oem. Apparently for ro.oem you should get 1 if the device is allowed to be unlocked, and 0 if not allowed. I don't know what to make of no return. For sys.oem, I read a post on XDA saying some devices have sys.oem instead of ro.oem. If that's the case, there is a hope for me... I tried these commands on my 2 rooted devices. They both returned 1 for ro.oem and nothing for sys.oem. So it's probably one or the other, but I'd like to check with people with the same/similar device.

Also, has anyone flashed firmware on a device with a locked bootloader (samsung) on Odin? I am tempted but really terrified...

Meow

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Also, has anyone flashed firmware on a device with a locked bootloader (samsung) on Odin? I am tempted but really terrified...

Meow

I can't do the rest right now, but to answer this question, as far as I remember, Odin will only flash official unmodified firmware if your bootloader is locked, and in that case, only either the same version of firmware that's already on the device, or newer.

I could be misremembering, though. There is no way you're going to be able to root with the bootloader locked.

Meow back from our two cats.

UmiCat

Thanks so much! @roirraW "edor" ehT
I have since managed to flash the firmware on Odin without an issue. Yay! The bad news is that it didn't change the problem with not having the bootloader unlocking option on download mode warning screen. I am supposed to get an option with long pressing Vol+, but it isn't there. If I press Vol+, then I am taken to the Downloading... screen and I can only get out of the screen and reboot without achieving anything. And everytime I do that, OEM Unlocking option is gone, and I have to start from strach blindly (as I haven't worked out the regularity in the causality).

I think the following XDA threads explain the same issue (some people talk about bootloader / recovery mode etc, but I am not using it):

Sigh.... 😿 I really don't seem to have a good affinity with Samsung. Last time with S7, I could at least unlock the bootloader. This time, it's not even possible. I can still return it and perhaps get another one from another seller to see if it's specific to this particular tablet. Or just give up, and go back to my old Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro. (now Pad 5 doesn't seem to be so bad at all...)

Thanks for your help. Grrrr to Samsung from my cats!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got the S8 ultra and i really like it... I also have a oneplus 9 9 pro rooted..
    I really love rooting my devices especially since than i can debloat and do other things.

Well now I have debloated some unwanted stuff from this tablet using ADB & Fastboot for Android NDK on my OP 9Pro..
    So now im thinking that rooting isnt really going to be all that...
    What other cool stuff are you all doing with your s8 ultra after rooting?
    I've found over the many years (note 4) with Samsung devices that ability to freeze apps with TiBu (debloatIng) is a huge +. I have gone to rooting for that reason almost alone. Plus now I have some apps that require root I can't do without.
    Don't worry about trading in your device with Samsung after unlocking the bootloader just relock it and send it in. Been doing this since Tab s2 with no problem. I sent tab s7 back for the Tab s8 plus (had bootloader unlocked and rooted) and Samsung has never said a word... Makes me think they Easley have a way of fixing the knox blown efuse thing.
    Anyway, I always root my tablets. Why would they make it possible (unlike their Snapdragon phones) to do so if they cared?
    Just my 2 cents.
    I've found over the many years (note 4) with Samsung devices that ability to freeze apps with TiBu (debloatIng) is a huge +. I have gone to rooting for that reason almost alone. Plus now I have some apps that require root I can't do without.
    Don't worry about trading in your device with Samsung after unlocking the bootloader just relock it and send it in. Been doing this since Tab s2 with no problem. I sent tab s7 back for the Tab s8 plus (had bootloader unlocked and rooted) and Samsung has never said a word... Makes me think they Easley have a way of fixing the knox blown efuse thing.
    Anyway, I always root my tablets. Why would they make it possible (unlike their Snapdragon phones) to do so if they cared?
    Just my 2 cents.
    Right on. Thats why i love my OP9Pro. It is easy as hell to root and still use everything as if it wasnt like widevine L1, Banking Apps ,google pay or Wallet. i like font manager, adaway and etc mods. SD Maid is my fav for freezing apps and keeping track of whats all running..

I am super new to samsung and I'm really diving in and wanting to learn about it...
    so whats the issue with Knox after rooting?

My xbox one controller with this tab ultra is decent too.
    i have So much fun with it at work when im waiting inbetween loads..Asphault 9, CODM, GRID Autosport, and Modern combat is fun...
    Try those games you al w/ the controller, you might like it a lot as well....
    I am super new to samsung and I'm really diving in and wanting to learn about it...
    so whats the issue with Knox after rooting?
    Once you unlock the bootloader of a Samsung device, it permanently trips their "Knox" e-fuse. There is no way to undo it. That makes it, so you can never use Samsung Pay and maybe some other Samsung-specific features. Also, if you return it under warranty, they can see that Knox was tripped and can potentially not honor the warranty, although there are laws against that, but that doesn't always stop them.
    Thanks for the info and yeah I've been reading up on it...
    As of now I'm going to hold off on rooting this tablet.
    With me being able to debloat using my OnePlus 9 pro w/ adb and fastboot NDK I'm good with that..
    I just got rid of digital well-being which is great.
    I hate that overly intrusive app... LOL...
    also if there is any apps or services I shouldn't get rid of if any of y'ou all could let me know on a PM or on here I'd appreciate it..
    I'm thinking about getting rid of that Bixby stuff but I'm going to read up on it more... Thanks
    I'm pretty sure there's already a thread in this section for that. Try any of the following Quick Filters at the top of the list of threads in this section - it should be one of them:
    • How To Guide
    • General
    • Thems / Apps / Mods
    Nevermind, you already found it.
    Hello, Sorry guys if this a repeated question.
    I wanted to buy S8 Wifi version (that only I can afford). But I also very likely to have root on all my device. I read there's a e-fuse and Knox thing, I don't have any experience with Samsung before. So I doing this research,

1. After i unlocked the bootloader which is the first step to gain root, is the e-fuse will be broke ?
    2. Which apps that will be not working? (I dex affected?)
    3. Is any hardware related will be not working or degrading in quality ? Such as camera will be noisy (like Sony)

You guys are expert and might have more experience, please please tell me details about it . I didn't get satisfaction on Google search regarding my question.
    1. Yes.
    2. Knox, secure folder, samsung pass and some third party apps which not allowing unlocked bootloader unlock.
    3. No.

How to Root (or update an already-rooted device)​

Prereqs​

1. Install the USB driver from https://developer.samsung.com/android-usb-driver
    2. Get the latest Odin from https://odindownloader.com/category/download and unzip it
    3. Get the latest Frija from https://github.com/SlackingVeteran/frija/releases and unzip it
    4. Start Frija and begin downloading the latest firmware for your Model and CSC:
      S8UltraRoot1.png
      1. Model Numbers
        • S8 Ultra 5G: SM-X906
        • S8 Ultra Wifi: SM-X900
        • S8+ 5G: SM-X806
        • S8+ Wifi: SM-X800
        • S8 5G: SM-X706
        • S8 Wifi: SM-X700
      2. CSC: Settings > About Tablet > Software Information > Service provider software version

Step 1 - Prepare your Tablet (only necessary for first install on unrooted device)​

1. While Frija is downloading the firmware, prepare your device by doing the following:
    2. Settings > About Tablet > Software Information > Click Build Number 7 times quickly
    3. Developer Options (just below About Tablet on the left column)
      • Turn on USB Debugging
      • Turn on OEM unlocking
        • NOTE: If the OEM Unlocking option doesn't appear, connect the device to the internet, wait a few minutes, then try again
    4. Power tablet completely off (Hold volume down + power button if you haven't changed the Bixby settings)
    5. While holding volume up and volume down, plug the tablet into your PC via USB
      • Let go of volume keys as soon as the blue-green screen shows up
    6. Press and hold volume up for 5 seconds, the screen will change to a confirmation prompt
    7. Press volume up again to confirm, the tablet will reboot
    8. Unplug your tablet from USB
    9. Go through initial setup. Don't bother copying files or installing anything.
    10. Skip signing in to your Google account and Samsung account. You won't be using them for this step.
    11. Settings > About Tablet > Software Information > Click Build Number 7 times quickly
    12. Developer Options (just below About Tablet on the left column)
      • Turn on USB Debugging
    13. Reboot the tablet

Step 2 - Patch the stock firmware to make it rooted​

1. Frija should have finished downloading by now, unzip the file (remember where you unzipped it to)
    2. Plug your tablet in to your computer via USB and click Allow if it prompts to allow data access
    3. If this is your first install / you're rooting the tablet for the first time:
      1. Download Magisk-vXX.XX.apk from the topmost release at https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases
      2. Copy the Magisk-vXX.XX.apk and the AP_xxx_xxx_tar.md5 from the zip file Frija downloaded to:
        • This PC > Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra > Internal Storage > Download
      3. Open the My Files app on the tablet and browse to Downloads
      4. Click the Magisk-vXX.XX.apk and it will prompt you to click Settings
      5. In Settings, turn on My Files, then it will give you a prompt to Install
      6. When Magisk is done installing, click Open
    4. If your tablet was already rooted, and you're just updating:
      1. Copy the AP_xxx_xxx_tar.md5 from the zip file Frija downloaded to:
        • This PC > Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra > Internal Storage > Download
    5. After the file is done copying, unplug your tablet from USB
    6. In Magisk, click Install in the top Magisk area, then the option for Select and Patch a file
    7. Click My Files > Downloads, select the AP_XXX_XXX.tar.md5 file and click Done at the bottom
    8. Click Lets Go -> After a few moments, it should display this (ignore 'Installation failed' at the top, it always does that):
      S8UltraRoot2.png

Step 3 - Apply the rooted firmware​

1. Plug your tablet back in to USB, then on your PC, go back to This PC > Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra > Internal Storage > Download and copy the magisk_patched-xxx.tar file back to the folder where you unzipped the zip file from Frija
    2. After the copy is finished, unplug your tablet from your PC and turn the tablet off
    3. While holding volume up and volume down, plug the tablet into your PC via USB
      • Let go of volume keys as soon as the blue-green screen shows up
    4. Click volume up briefly (don't hold it) to go into download mode
    5. Start Odin and accept the disclaimer prompt.
    6. Click BL and select the BL_XXX_XXX.tar.md5 file where you unzipped the zip file from Frija
    7. Click AP and select the magisk_patched-XXX.tar file
    8. If this is your first install / you're rooting the tablet for the first time (this WILL wipe your data):
      • Click CSC and select the CSC_XXX_XXX.tar.md5
    9. If your tablet was already rooted, and you're just updating (this WILL NOT wipe your data):
      • Click CSC and select the HOME_CSC_XXX_XXX.tar.md5
    10. Odin should now look like this:
      S8UltraRoot3.png
    11. Click Start. When it's finished, Odin will display "PASS!" and the tablet will automatically reboot.

Step 4 - Verify and finalize​

1. Go through the normal setup, signing in to your Google and Samsung accounts this time
    2. Click on Magisk that is now pre-installed, and go through the Settings step to allow it to install again
    3. It should prompt you that your device needs additional setup and one more reboot, click OK
    4. After rebooting, your device should be fully rooted. Use a root checker app if you want to verify.

Step 5 (optional) - Get Netflix (and banking apps etc) working with root​

1. Install https://github.com/Fox2Code/FoxMagiskModuleManager/releases and run it
    2. Search for Universal Safetynet Fix by kdrag0n and install it
    3. In Magisk settings click Systemless hosts, turn on Zygisk, turn on Enforce Denylist
    4. Click Configure Denylist, then the 3 dot menu and Show System Apps
      1. Search for Google Play Store, click it, check the check and turn on all options underneath
      2. Search for Google Play Services, click it, turn on .gms and .gms.unstable ONLY
      3. Search for Netflix, click it, check the check and turn on all options underneath
      4. (optional) Add your bank / pay app, etc here if you'd like
    5. In Settings > Apps, search for Google Play Services and Google Play Store and clear all data (not just cache) for each
    6. Reboot
      1. NOTE - This is currently only passing Widevine level 3, so Netflix is limited to SD. I'm still trying to figure out how to get L1 / full HD.
    See post #3 for in depth guide !

->insert usual general disclaimer of liability

Required:
    Odin3_v3.14.1 flash tool
    Samsung USB Driver installed
    Frija or something else, to download stock files
    7zip or similar

1: Unlock bootloader (will wipe your precious data, void warranty, break Knox e-fuse and who knows what else !)
    -unlock dev option (just harass your Build number in settings)
    -be connected to the internet (WiFi or 5g)
    -allow USB debugging
    -OEM unlock
    -be warned that this might cause WWIII
    -Power off your device. Press Volume Up + Volume Down THEN plug your Tablet lnto a PC to boot into download mode.
    -Release buttons immediately when the blue screen shows itself.
    -Long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot
    -Go through the initial setup.
    -Skip through all the steps except wifi or 5g
    -sign into your Google or Samsung account
    -Enable Developer options & USB debugging
    -reboot
    -You have an unlock bootloader and have control over your device, (it is unfair that this voids your warranty as you should be able to use your hardware as you please).

2: Root install:
    -Install Magisk
    -use frija or something else to get the latest file according to your device and your CSC :
    -patch the whole AP file with magisk (transfer of big files can be tricky, using SD card to transfer file from computer to tablet and vice versa seems like one if the easiest way)
    -use odin to flash AP (the patched one), CP, BL and CSC (will wipe once again and reboot)
    -Open magisk to finish install (reboot)
    -You have root

3: Root update:
    -use Frija or something else to get the latest file according to your device and your CSC :
    -patch the whole AP file with magisk
    -use Odin to flash AP (the patched one), CP, BL and Home_CSC (using CSC will wipe)
    -Press and hold Vol-down and Power let go of all buttons once the screen turn on.
    -You have root, data kept and update

Please let me know if something should be added or edited.
    I got the S8 ultra and i really like it... I also have a oneplus 9 9 pro rooted..
    I really love rooting my devices especially since than i can debloat and do other things.

Well now I have debloated some unwanted stuff from this tablet using ADB & Fastboot for Android NDK on my OP 9Pro..
    So now im thinking that rooting isnt really going to be all that...
    What other cool stuff are you all doing with your s8 ultra after rooting?
    Just my 2 cents.
    Anyone work out how to get Netflix working with root yet? Also, is Magisk manager showing any modules to download in the Magisk app for you guys? I can install from file, but the downloading functionality doesn't seem to be working.
    Not sure when, but somewhere in an update, the ability to download modules from magisk directly was removed. You can download them using an app called Fox's Magisk Module Manager. You can search for modules just like you could on Magisk, and they'll be added once you install them and reboot. Also, for the netflix thing, your device may not be passing safetynet. Checking this was also remove in an update, but you can check it with YASNAC.

Edit: I just did this with my rooted Tab S7+, but it should work with the S8+ and S8U as well. Doing this should let you pass safetynet and be able to use Netflix.
    1. Enable Zygisk in Magisk settings, then reboot.
    2. Enable Enforce DenyList in Magisk settings, then go to Configure DenyList.
    3. Enable show system apps with the menu on the top-right, then search "google play services".
    4. Enable DenyList for com.google.android.gms & com.google.android.gms.unstable, then reboot.
    5. Open YASNAC to run safetynet attestation, you should be passing basic integrity but failing cts profile match.
    6. Download and install the latest version of the safetynet fix for zygisk module, then reboot.
    7. Check YASNAC again, you should now be passing basic integrity and cts profile match.
    8. Go to settings > apps, find google play service & google play store, clear data for both of them, reboot.
    9. Go to the play store > settings, play protect certification should now say "device is certified".
    10. Open Magisk > Configure DenyList, search for Netflix (enable show system apps if you need to), enable DenyList for everything, reboot.
    11. Update Netflix if it's not up to date. If the play store is allowing you to update Netflix at all, then you're good to go.

Now you have Netflix running on your rooted tab!

Edit 2: Accidentally saved my first edit before I finished the instructions, my bad.
    If I want to update my tab but without root and available ota and without losing existing data. Can I just follow step 3 ? What do I choose as AP ? What do I have to pay attention to ?

Thanks Guy's
    If you want to update your tab without root, just use the regular Samsung provided over-the-air update.

If you don't want to root your device, you shouldn't be using SamFirm + Odin, etc. They add extra complexitiy that you don't need if you're not rooting your device.