How To Guide Root Guide for Galaxy Tab S8/S8+/S8Ultra

Search This thread

grown_man

Apr 20, 2011
Realme GT
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
hi guys and thanks for the guide. but unfortunately i have a weird problem after gettin root. i have no write permission on system folder. tried some apps but didnt work. did i miss somethin or we have to wait until its done

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
hi guys and thanks for the guide. but unfortunately i have a weird problem after gettin root. i have no write permission on system folder. tried some apps but didnt work. did i miss somethin or we have to wait until its done
I went into one of my favorite file apps, Root Explorer and walked down to SYSTEM. When I got there I saw it was defaulted to r/o but the app just let me toggle it to r/w. So it's not locked at r/o. Hope this helps.

grown_man

Apr 20, 2011
Realme GT
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
I went into one of my favorite file apps, Root Explorer and walked down to SYSTEM. When I got there I saw it was defaulted to r/o but the app just let me toggle it to r/w. So it's not locked at r/o. Hope this helps.
i cant change to rw, i think ive some owner etc issues but idk how to fix so its better from beginning

did u root via youtube video (boot.img->magisk->patchedboot.img->odin) that u posted on previous messages (im on android 13 too, so it seems i should follow ur steps :p )

Devtick.

Oct 15, 2014
Malmö
OnePlus 8T
I can't seem to hide the root properly on A13. I've tried following the guide but I still can't find netflix on playstore. Any one got it to work?

NVM: Downloaded latest apk from aptoide instead. Works fine with L1.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhill110

Planet Indigo

Dec 7, 2014
It seems like the few people that are on android 13 with magisk root (and safety net?) have gone to 13 non rooted then rooted afterwards. I saw a couple people who now have issues on 13 that were rooted on 12 before and upgraded. This kind of makes me worried...

Is there anyone who was rooted on 12, followed the OP steps to upgrade to 13, and is now fine on 13, with zero issues and also still passing safety net?

Reactions: Vinsang

Vinsang

Jul 30, 2011
Toulouse
It seems like the few people that are on android 13 with magisk root (and safety net?) have gone to 13 non rooted then rooted afterwards. I saw a couple people who now have issues on 13 that were rooted on 12 before and upgraded. This kind of makes me worried...

Is there anyone who was rooted on 12, followed the OP steps to upgrade to 13, and is now fine on 13, with zero issues and also still passing safety net?
yes followed the update step and I'm on 13 rooted no issue

Reactions: Planet Indigo

grown_man

Apr 20, 2011
Realme GT
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
still i try to get r/w permission. i made some mistakes but i dont know what it is. just once i get it for temprorary but after google/samsung accounts ( or may be update somethings) i lost it again. im hopeless

so i can root but i cant get rw permission at all

and surely i wanna say i hate samsung because i cant use adb commands

Planet Indigo

Dec 7, 2014

Same here. On 13 rooted everything is dandy.
Ok, thanks for replying, a couple followups if you wouldn't mind:

1) Do you guys have an S8, S8+ or S8 ultra?
2) Which CSC version are you on? XAR?
3) What version of Android 12 were you last on when you upgraded to 13?
4) Can you still pass Safety net and get widevine L1 while on android 13?

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
Ok, thanks for replying, a couple followups if you wouldn't mind:

1) Do you guys have an S8, S8+ or S8 ultra?
2) Which CSC version are you on? XAR?
3) What version of Android 12 were you last on when you upgraded to 13?
4) Can you still pass Safety net and get widevine L1 while on android 13?
S8+
XAR
12 (VJ2)
Like Devtick I downloaded Netflix from aptoide and it's working perfectly.
Screenshot_20221206_012051_Yet Another SafetyNet Attestation Checker.jpg
Screenshot_20221206_012051_Yet Another SafetyNet Attestation Checker.jpg

Last edited:

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here

Taykishi

Jul 26, 2016
This is probably a dumb question but here I go.

I have rooted Tab S8 Plus but I want to completely remove root and leave it as factory for my wife, she doesn't care about root at all and just want to use it normally and update it normally.

If I use Odin with the original Firmware would it work?

Sorry of this is not the place to ask.

m4x7

Dec 11, 2022
Hello, I have a question related to the update process.

I rooted my Tab S8 and downloaded the latest firmware with Frija but I didn't get any CP-file. Do I need the CP-file or can I skip this option in Odin? And if I do, where can I get it? Why isn't Frija downloading it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated my root guide on post #3 with current instructions for Android 14. Fully working including root hiding for Netflix / etc!
    I finished the step from Odin on s8ultra, but now when it reboots enters in recovery with only "Try again, "Factory reset data" and "View recovery logs",

cause [init:1]
    reason is [fs_mgr_mount_all:M02R]
    [libfs_mgr] Failed to mount /sdcard: No such file or directory.

And in the last recovery log it says at the bottom

libc: Unable to set property "ro.boottime.init.mount.cache" to "0" error code: 0xb

Help pls :(

EDIT: I did it, I factory reset and Magisk was already pre-installed, I think now it's ok, thank you so much for the guide, my first time rooting anything
    EDIT2: Netflix working too, so far I have as modules play integrity fix, shamiko and systemless hosts, thank you again for your time and making me happy

How to Root (or update an already-rooted device)​

* Verified working for Android 14 + Magisk 27.0 *

Prereqs​

1. Install the USB driver from https://developer.samsung.com/android-usb-driver
    2. Get the latest Odin from https://odindownloader.com/category/download and unzip it
    3. Get the latest firmware and unzip it
      1. Frija https://github.com/SlackingVeteran/frija/releases
      2. SamFirm https://androidmtk.com/download-samfirm-tool
      3. SamFW (replace XAR in URL with your region) https://samfw.com/firmware/SM-X700/XAR
      4. SamFrew (replace XAR in URL with your region) https://samfrew.com/firmware/model/SM-X700/region/XAR/upload/Desc/0/10
    4. Start Frija and begin downloading the latest firmware for your Model and CSC:
      S8UltraRoot1.png
      1. Model Numbers
        • S8 Ultra 5G: SM-X906
        • S8 Ultra Wifi: SM-X900
        • S8+ 5G: SM-X806
        • S8+ Wifi: SM-X800
        • S8 5G: SM-X706
        • S8 Wifi: SM-X700
      2. CSC
        • Settings > About Tablet > Software Information > Service provider software version
      3. If Frija or SamFirm complain about missing Visual C++ Runtimes, open PowerShell and run:
        • winget install Microsoft.VCRedist.2008.x86
        • winget install Microsoft.VCRedist.2010.x86

Step 1 - Prepare your Tablet (only necessary for first install on unrooted device)​

1. While Frija is downloading the firmware, prepare your device by doing the following:
    2. Settings > About Tablet > Software Information > Click Build Number 7 times quickly
    3. Developer Options (just below About Tablet on the left column)
      • Turn on USB Debugging
      • Turn on OEM unlocking
        • NOTE: If the OEM Unlocking option doesn't appear, connect the device to the internet, wait a few minutes, then try again
    4. Power tablet completely off (Hold volume down + power button if you haven't changed the Bixby settings)
    5. While holding volume up and volume down, plug the tablet into your PC via USB
      • Let go of volume keys as soon as the blue-green screen shows up
    6. Press and hold volume up for 5 seconds, the screen will change to a confirmation prompt
    7. Press volume up again to confirm, the tablet will reboot
    8. Unplug your tablet from USB
    9. Go through initial setup. Don't bother copying files or installing anything.
    10. Skip signing in to your Google account and Samsung account. You won't be using them for this step.
    11. Settings > About Tablet > Software Information > Click Build Number 7 times quickly
    12. Developer Options (just below About Tablet on the left column)
      • Turn on USB Debugging
    13. Reboot the tablet

Step 2 - Patch the stock firmware to make it rooted​

1. Frija should have finished downloading by now, unzip the file (remember where you unzipped it to)
    2. Plug your tablet in to your computer via USB and click Allow if it prompts to allow data access
    3. If this is your first install / you're rooting the tablet for the first time:
      1. Download Magisk-vXX.XX.apk from the topmost release at https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases
      2. Copy the Magisk-vXX.XX.apk and the AP_xxx_xxx_tar.md5 from the zip file Frija downloaded to:
        • This PC > Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra > Internal Storage > Download
      3. Open the My Files app on the tablet and browse to Downloads
      4. Click the Magisk-vXX.XX.apk and it will prompt you to click Settings
      5. In Settings, turn on My Files, then it will give you a prompt to Install
      6. When Magisk is done installing, click Open
    4. If your tablet was already rooted, and you're just updating:
      1. Copy the AP_xxx_xxx_tar.md5 from the zip file Frija downloaded to:
        • This PC > Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra > Internal Storage > Download
    5. After the file is done copying, unplug your tablet from USB
    6. In Magisk, click Install in the top Magisk area, then the option for Select and Patch a file
    7. Click My Files > Downloads, select the AP_XXX_XXX.tar.md5 file and click Done at the bottom
    8. Click Lets Go -> After a few moments, it should display this (ignore 'Installation failed' at the top, it always does that):
      S8UltraRoot2.png

Step 3 - Apply the rooted firmware​

1. Plug your tablet back in to USB, then on your PC, go back to This PC > Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra > Internal Storage > Download and copy the magisk_patched-xxx.tar file back to the folder where you unzipped the zip file from Frija
    2. After the copy is finished, unplug your tablet from your PC and completely power off your tablet
    3. While holding volume up and volume down, plug the tablet into your PC via USB
      • Let go of volume keys as soon as the blue-green screen shows up
    4. Click volume up (the side of volume nearest the power) briefly (don't hold it) to go into download mode
    5. Start Odin and accept the disclaimer prompt
    6. Click BL and select the BL_XXX_XXX.tar.md5 file where you unzipped the zip file from Frija
    7. Click AP and select the magisk_patched-XXX.tar file
    8. If this is your first install / you're rooting the tablet for the first time (this WILL wipe your data):
      • Click CSC and select the CSC_XXX_XXX.tar.md5
    9. If your tablet was already rooted, and you're just updating (this WILL NOT wipe your data):
      • Click CSC and select the HOME_CSC_XXX_XXX.tar.md5
    10. Odin should now look like this:
      S8UltraRoot3.png
    11. Click Start. When it's finished, Odin will display "PASS!" and the tablet will automatically reboot.
    12. During the first install from Android 13 to Android 14, it may ask you to do a factory reset, you seem to have no choice but to accept. Conflicting stories coming in about people getting it or not.

Step 4 - Verify and finalize​

1. Go through the normal setup, signing in to your Google and Samsung accounts this time
    2. Click on Magisk that is now pre-installed, and go through the Settings step to allow it to install again
    3. It should prompt you that your device needs additional setup and one more reboot, click OK
    4. After rebooting, your device should be fully rooted. Use a root checker app if you want to verify.

Step 5 (optional) - Get Netflix (and pay / banking etc) working by hiding root​

1. Download PlayIntegrityFix Magisk Module https://github.com/chiteroman/PlayIntegrityFix/releases
    2. Download Shamiko Magisk Module https://github.com/LSPosed/LSPosed.github.io/releases
    3. Open Magisk, click the Gear, click Systemless hosts, and check on Zygisk, click the back button
    4. At the bottom of Magisk, click Modules, Install From Storage, then the .zip from 1 & 2 above, click Reboot
    5. After you reboot, install YASNAC from Google Play or go to Netflix, tap your user icon in the top right, app settings and then Playback Specification. Widevine L1 should be displayed, which is what you want.
    1711034696169.png
    See post #3 for in depth guide !

->insert usual general disclaimer of liability

Required:
    Odin3_v3.14.1 flash tool
    Samsung USB Driver installed
    Frija or something else, to download stock files
    7zip or similar

1: Unlock bootloader (will wipe your precious data, void warranty, break Knox e-fuse and who knows what else !)
    -unlock dev option (just harass your Build number in settings)
    -be connected to the internet (WiFi or 5g)
    -allow USB debugging
    -OEM unlock
    -be warned that this might cause WWIII
    -Power off your device. Press Volume Up + Volume Down THEN plug your Tablet lnto a PC to boot into download mode.
    -Release buttons immediately when the blue screen shows itself.
    -Long press volume up to unlock the bootloader. This will wipe your data and automatically reboot
    -Go through the initial setup.
    -Skip through all the steps except wifi or 5g
    -sign into your Google or Samsung account
    -Enable Developer options & USB debugging
    -reboot
    -You have an unlock bootloader and have control over your device, (it is unfair that this voids your warranty as you should be able to use your hardware as you please).

2: Root install:
    -Install Magisk
    -use frija or something else to get the latest file according to your device and your CSC :
    -patch the whole AP file with magisk (transfer of big files can be tricky, using SD card to transfer file from computer to tablet and vice versa seems like one if the easiest way)
    -use odin to flash AP (the patched one), CP, BL and CSC (will wipe once again and reboot)
    -Open magisk to finish install (reboot)
    -You have root

3: Root update:
    -use Frija or something else to get the latest file according to your device and your CSC :
    -patch the whole AP file with magisk
    -use Odin to flash AP (the patched one), CP, BL and Home_CSC (using CSC will wipe)
    -Press and hold Vol-down and Power let go of all buttons once the screen turn on.
    -You have root, data kept and update

Please let me know if something should be added or edited.
    I got the S8 ultra and i really like it... I also have a oneplus 9 9 pro rooted..
    I really love rooting my devices especially since than i can debloat and do other things.

Well now I have debloated some unwanted stuff from this tablet using ADB & Fastboot for Android NDK on my OP 9Pro..
    So now im thinking that rooting isnt really going to be all that...
    What other cool stuff are you all doing with your s8 ultra after rooting?
    I've found over the many years (note 4) with Samsung devices that ability to freeze apps with TiBu (debloatIng) is a huge +. I have gone to rooting for that reason almost alone. Plus now I have some apps that require root I can't do without.
    Don't worry about trading in your device with Samsung after unlocking the bootloader just relock it and send it in. Been doing this since Tab s2 with no problem. I sent tab s7 back for the Tab s8 plus (had bootloader unlocked and rooted) and Samsung has never said a word... Makes me think they Easley have a way of fixing the knox blown efuse thing.
    Anyway, I always root my tablets. Why would they make it possible (unlike their Snapdragon phones) to do so if they cared?
    Just my 2 cents.
    By @sosimple
    "NOTE - This is currently only passing Widevine level 3, so Netflix is limited to SD. I'm still trying to figure out how to get L1 / full HD."

This one, keeping me away from rooting for now, as i watch a lot Netflix in the tablet.. If anyone resolve this, please post the solution..
    Thanks,

Hmm... Tab S8 plus.
    If you haven't rooted how would you know?
    This is from my Netflix app. Looks fine to me.
    All I can say is follow the instructions.

Netflix.jpg
    Anyone work out how to get Netflix working with root yet? Also, is Magisk manager showing any modules to download in the Magisk app for you guys? I can install from file, but the downloading functionality doesn't seem to be working.
    Not sure when, but somewhere in an update, the ability to download modules from magisk directly was removed. You can download them using an app called Fox's Magisk Module Manager. You can search for modules just like you could on Magisk, and they'll be added once you install them and reboot. Also, for the netflix thing, your device may not be passing safetynet. Checking this was also remove in an update, but you can check it with YASNAC.

Edit: I just did this with my rooted Tab S7+, but it should work with the S8+ and S8U as well. Doing this should let you pass safetynet and be able to use Netflix.
    1. Enable Zygisk in Magisk settings, then reboot.
    2. Enable Enforce DenyList in Magisk settings, then go to Configure DenyList.
    3. Enable show system apps with the menu on the top-right, then search "google play services".
    4. Enable DenyList for com.google.android.gms & com.google.android.gms.unstable, then reboot.
    5. Open YASNAC to run safetynet attestation, you should be passing basic integrity but failing cts profile match.
    6. Download and install the latest version of the safetynet fix for zygisk module, then reboot.
    7. Check YASNAC again, you should now be passing basic integrity and cts profile match.
    8. Go to settings > apps, find google play service & google play store, clear data for both of them, reboot.
    9. Go to the play store > settings, play protect certification should now say "device is certified".
    10. Open Magisk > Configure DenyList, search for Netflix (enable show system apps if you need to), enable DenyList for everything, reboot.
    11. Update Netflix if it's not up to date. If the play store is allowing you to update Netflix at all, then you're good to go.

Now you have Netflix running on your rooted tab!

Edit 2: Accidentally saved my first edit before I finished the instructions, my bad.