[Root Guide] Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 only with TWRP Recovery

Search This thread

drmedrasen

Sep 5, 2013
doesn't work! the drivers are not auto downloaded! odin says "added" in status window, but no drivers are downloading on tablet.

Galaxy 3 8.0
Android 4.2.2
Modell: SM-T310

Stock Android.

what wrong!?

skythus

May 31, 2010
Modified Procedure Works

This did not work for me without slightly modifying the procedure in the first post. After the device auto-rebooted following ODIN success, I rebooted the tablet by powering it down and then holding VOL UP and POWER to go into recovery as the instructions said. The problem is that Android stock recovery started and not TWRP. You will know this is occurring because you'll see the large yellow Android Icon in the middle of the screen, together with a "no command" message.

What is apparently happening is that the tablet has a "safety" feature which restores the stock recovery as it is auto-rebooted by ODIN.

I was able to bypass this by unchecking "Auto Reboot" in Odin. Therefore only "F. Reset Time" should be checked when performing the procedure in the first post. Then, after you see ODIN report success, manually reboot the device by pressing VOL UP and POWER. This rebooted the tablet straight into TWRP and I had no further issues. I was just very careful and made sure that ODIN completed it's flash before I manually rebooted.

b0ing

Dec 13, 2009
This did not work for me without slightly modifying the procedure in the first post. After the device auto-rebooted following ODIN success, I rebooted the tablet by powering it down and then holding VOL UP and POWER to go into recovery as the instructions said. The problem is that Android stock recovery started and not TWRP. You will know this is occurring because you'll see the large yellow Android Icon in the middle of the screen, together with a "no command" message.

What is apparently happening is that the tablet has a "safety" feature which restores the stock recovery as it is auto-rebooted by ODIN.

I was able to bypass this by unchecking "Auto Reboot" in Odin. Therefore only "F. Reset Time" should be checked when performing the procedure in the first post. Then, after you see ODIN report success, manually reboot the device by pressing VOL UP and POWER. This rebooted the tablet straight into TWRP and I had no further issues. I was just very careful and made sure that ODIN completed it's flash before I manually rebooted.
Skythus you are a winner! Thanks so much! I'm now very happy! :DDDD

Reactions: Schemerlamp

SKIEBS

Sep 8, 2013
Thank you very much. :) worked on my windows down system. But had to do manual install. Thanks again

Jaimemex

Jan 11, 2010
No twrp =[

I've done everything step by step (not a noob ive rooted and flash before) I try rebooting into twrp but i still keep going the stock android recovery...
Do I need to be on a certain update for this to work?

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

I've done everything step by step (not a noob ive rooted and flash before) I try rebooting into twrp but i still keep going the stock android recovery...
Do I need to be on a certain update for this to work?
Never mind thanks skythus!

SKIEBS

Sep 8, 2013
Try this.... When you get to the step to get into Odin, make sure you unchecked Auto Reboot. Hit the PDA and find your Twrp file like normal and hit Start. Wait until Odin is done loading the file, once it's done. Put it into recovery manually.

Once I did this instead of letting Odin reboot my system, it went right into twrp recovery, then I just downloaded the ROOT manually and loaded it through twrp.

Hope this maybe helped.

Geronimo1717

Sep 8, 2013
I applied the tutorial, everything is going properly yet but my final tab 3 8 is still not rooted.

HELP ....

I have android version 4.2.2.

redmingo

Jan 10, 2013
Do you installed the last update from Samsung?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda app-developers app

hecpilot

Jul 21, 2013

This is exactly what happened with my attempt to root. I unchecked the Auto Reboot in Odin and went along with Skythus' instructions. Worked perfectly on my Win7 system. Thanks!

gfresh4

Nov 2, 2009
Detroit
Windows 7 / Manual reset

Great job!!! :good: Worked nice and smoothly after I did a manual reset instead of auto to recovery.

biline

Mar 10, 2011
Ottawa
www.biline.ca
Thanks for the great tutorial

Followed your Tutorial and everything worked perfectly which considering I'm running Windows 8.1 (x64) Preview (Build 9431) is a really good sign. The only glitch I had was with my cable I had used the Non-OEM cable by accident but as soon as I switched it for the OEM one it worked!:good:

diggedog2

Sep 20, 2013
Help

Could you do me a solid, I was messing around and accidentally deleted my os, could you make a backup in twrp or in rom manager and email it to me, I would love you (no homo) and it will save me the money for replacing it. My email is [email protected]. Just name the subject "backup" so I don't pass it up, thanks

Last edited:

Lynx2000

Nov 29, 2008
Excuse me, I completed step 1 to 10 smoothly, but after that I can't access Team Win Recovery through step 11, only can access stock recovery. And I tried to put zip file into SD card and boot from it. I Select update through external storage and open file, there're some sentences shown fail. Please help. My Tab3 8.0 is SM -T315 AAndroid 4.2.2. Thank.s

Last edited:

skythus

May 31, 2010
Excuse me, I completed step 1 to 10 smoothly, but after that I can't access Team Win Recovery through step 11, only can access stock recovery. And I tried to put zip file into SD card and boot from it. I Select update through external storage and open file, there're some sentences shown fail. Please help. My Tab3 8.0 is SM -T315 AAndroid 4.2.2. Thank.s

Please see my previous post (post 22) which may help you. Direct link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=45362045&postcount=22

Reactions: Lynx2000

jcadona

Oct 17, 2013
Sorry, but it worked fine for me.

I used:
- PC with Windows 7 PC;
- I install Samsung Kies;
- Tablet SM-T310, bought in USA, Android 4.2.2, kernel 3.0.31-787812

1. ODIN 3.07, the ID:COM field on Odin doesn´t should light up yellowom. Why? What should I do?
2. I tested several versions of ODIN, only v1.85 light up yellowom, but the rootin doesnT work well.

Júlio Doná
[email protected]

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Worked perfectly with windows vista machine. You made my day. Thanks

What version of ODIN you used? :rolleyes:

kpb2563

Nov 7, 2013
[deleted] because apparently there is such a thing as a stupid question.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is what I did to install TWRP for my Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, Root, and install Super user (compatible with the SM-T310, SM-T311 and SM-T315)

As best practice I always start with these prerequisites:
    1. Full or near full charge on your new Galaxy Tab 3 8.0
    2. OEM USB cable
    3. Connect table to PC at least once to verify they can communicate
    4. Use USB 2.0 port
    5. Make sure your PC has an internet connection active
    6. Make sure your table has access to a wireless internet connection
    7. ** I used a Windows 7 PC ** (post 2 confirms Windows 8 works with this method)

Let’s get started (Total time less than 20 minutes, but hopefully more like 5 to 10 minutes)
    1. Download ODIN 3.07 from (http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168421&d13411114315 )
    a. Extract to C: root for easy navigation
    2. Download Recovery TWRP from ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2386098 )
    a. I used release 3 from http://d-h.st/bQh which was TWRP v2.6.0.0
    b. Place this in the directory from 1a
    3. Power off your Galaxy Tab 3 8.0
    4 With the tablet off you will now restart in "Download Mode" by holding the "HOME" button, "Volume Down" and "Power" all at the same time for about 3-5 seconds till you see the Warning!! screen
    5. Toggle the "Volume Up" to enter download mode.
    6. Start the ODIN.exe program you downloaded from step 1.
    7. Connect your tablet to your PC
    a. Drivers were automatically downloaded and installed on my Windows 7 PC (took a minute or two)
    b. Make sure you have you table added in ODIN by looking at the ID:COM or in the Message window it will say Added!!
    8. In ODIN Select “PDA” by putting a check in the box and then navigate to the .tar file from step 2
    9. Now select “START”
    10. In a few minutes or less your tablet will reboot automatically
    11. Power off your tablet again and access the newly installed recovery
    a. To access recovery press and hold volume up and power (release the power button once the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 splash screen is visible continuing to hold the volume up)
    b. Hold volume up until you see the standard teamwin recovery screen
    12. Once in Team Win Recovery select Reboot from the menu on the bottom right if you are holding your tablet upright like a portrait. Select “System”
    13. Hopefully you will be prompted to install ROOT like I was
    a. If so, choose that you do and follow the rest of the on screen instruction upon boot
    b. I chose the TWRP install method instead of the paly store and my tablet reboot after downloading a few files
    c. I verified with root checker and I was successfully rooted

14. Should this not work you can manually install using ROOT_SGT3_8.0.zip file and flash via TWRP located here (http://www.mediafire.com/download/wjye1yssb5ksbfa/ROOT_SGT3_8.0.zip )
    a. Copy ROOT_SGT3_8.0.zip to your tablet (placing on the root of the tablet storage or in the Download folder is easiest)
    b. Access recovery press and hold volume up and power
    c. Select "Install" from the Team Win recovery menu
    d. Navigate to the .zip file and select it
    e. Swipe to Confirm Flash after it is done select "Reboot" and reboot "System"
    15. Verify that SuperSU is installed and run any root checker from the play store if needed
    16. Update SuperSu from the play store and reboot using the TWRP method if needed.
    17. Congratulations you should now be done!

You should now be Rooted and have a Custom Recovery. Additionally you are now ready for any Mods or ROMs and Kernels once released and after you do a backup in recovery :)

For thoses that have any issues try the following:(thanks to Skiebs post #27)

When you get to the step to get into Odin, make sure you unchecked Auto Reboot. Hit the PDA and find your Twrp file like normal and hit Start. Wait until Odin is done loading the file, once it's done. Put it into recovery manually.

Once I did this instead of letting Odin reboot my system, it went right into twrp recovery, then I just downloaded the ROOT manually and loaded it through twrp.
    Modified Procedure Works

So I did all the steps said through out this thread but couldn't for the life of me root my tab (SM-T311 Android 4.4.2).
    Here's how I did it.
    I flashed this TWRP 2.8.3.0 (found here ) after flashing it I went back to TWRP home screen, clicked Reboot and then Recovery. I was then rebooted into my new flashed TWRP.

Then I flashed SuperSu (found here). Click on Install find where you saved the zip. swipe to install and when done click reboot system.

And it worked! So for those still having problems, hope this works. :)
    Hi skythus, as u said in your post I have also been facing same problems but I have sincerely followed everything to eliminate this problem of recovery which is happening bcoz of the safety feature of our GT3 8.0.
    But I am slight disappointed bcoz when I unchecked 'Auto Reboot' in odin my tab was stucked in the download load even after the successful completion of the process in odin. Even after odin displayed 'PASS' my tab was stucked.. Then I have to remove the cable and I kept pressing the power button until it restarted normally. This is all what happend.

Kindly suggest me further where am I lagging in understanding the procedure as I am not a new player in rooting I have rooted quite a number of phones but I am facing such an issue for the first time.

Your urgent reply is needed. Thanks in advance.

When you see the RES OK message in Odin, you need to manually boot directly to recovery by holding Power, Home, and Volume Up for about 10-15 seconds.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    To enable Development Mode, open Settings, About Device, click 7 times on Build Number.

Sent from my SM-T311 using Tapatalk 2