• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Root Guide

Search This thread

pgorod

Dec 19, 2012
I just ordered and my phone is on its way. It will be my first time with anything that is not a Samsung.

I'd love to root it with Magisk but I understand its a new model, I won't find detailed procedures etc. Anyway, do any of the more experienced rooters and modders have advice for me?

Should I start by trying unlocking the bootloader with some procedure from another OnePlus model? Which one? Thanks

EDIT:

let me elaborate a bit more on why I am asking. I realize it might not be possible to fully root the phone now, maybe some details need to be ironed out. But I would love to avoid having to do later any steps that involve losing data.
Typically, the unlocking of bootloader clears everything in your phone, right? So it would be nice to get that part done as soon as it arrives, even if I can only do the rest later, once the pros develop the tutorials here.

By "do the rest later" I mean install a recovery like TWRP or OrangeFox, and put Magisk on it, EdXposed, etc.

Does my strategy make sense?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
I just ordered and my phone is on its way. It will be my first time with anything that is not a Samsung.

I'd love to root it with Magisk but I understand its a new model, I won't find detailed procedures etc. Anyway, do any of the more experienced rooters and modders have advice for me?

Should I start by trying unlocking the bootloader with some procedure from another OnePlus model? Which one? Thanks

EDIT:

let me elaborate a bit more on why I am asking. I realize it might not be possible to fully root the phone now, maybe some details need to be ironed out. But I would love to avoid having to do later any steps that involve losing data.
Typically, the unlocking of bootloader clears everything in your phone, right? So it would be nice to get that part done as soon as it arrives, even if I can only do the rest later, once the pros develop the tutorials here.

By "do the rest later" I mean install a recovery like TWRP or OrangeFox, and put Magisk on it, EdXposed, etc.

Does my strategy make sense?
Hey! Congrats on the new phone! I got it too. Your strategy does make sense to me but there are other things that need to be figured out too like the A-B system of Rom handling phones have. So I'd say wait for a bit and take a backup and restoe it when you root eventually.

pgorod

Dec 19, 2012
The main reason I want root is to have proper, complete backups.

How exactly does one backup without root? I know, Google data is on the cloud, and I can copy files form the SD card, but that means dozens of wasted hours re-configuring every single option in every single app (I'm that kind of guy)... sigh...

Thanks for the tip on A/B updates, I went reading about it, it's news to me and it is quite interesting.