• No and I lost download mode

Votes: 30 14.7%
  • No and I have a brick

Votes: 24 11.8%

• Total voters
Search This thread

PUAR

Mar 13, 2020
Hello, and sorry if this was already answered. I have an (H872 20g) international unlocked version, which firmware should I use? BK or TN? TMI, TMF, TMO, TMZ?
Thank you in advance

ehtisham ali

Jul 12, 2015
Hey guyz I have weird issue , I m using lg g6 h872 for 1 and a half year ... I used to change the roms time by time .
Yesterday teared down my phone and I saw printed on the motherboard "vs988" . So my phone is not tmobile it is actually verizon .
My question is that is it possibles to flash different roms for different variant ?
Boot image of h872 and vs988 is same ?
I need help guyz ..
(I also rooted my phone using this difficult procedure.)

Shoud I try vs988 kdz ? @runningnak3d

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Hey guyz I have weird issue , I m using lg g6 h872 for 1 and a half year ... I used to change the roms time by time .
Yesterday teared down my phone and I saw printed on the motherboard "vs988" . So my phone is not tmobile it is actually verizon .
My question is that is it possibles to flash different roms for different variant ?
I need help guyz ..

Shoud I try vs988 kdz ?
@runningnak3d

lazzu

Apr 28, 2020
could not find folder and lg laf file to go into terminal. please help. im stuck at 2

could not find folder and lg laf file to go into terminal. please help. im stuck at procedure 2

Danfinelli

May 24, 2020
I need help guyz ..

Shoud I try vs988 kdz ? @runningnak3d

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

I need help guyz ..

Shoud I try vs988 kdz ?
@runningnak3d

I believe if you're a stuck in some type of problem you're gonna have a problem getting lg up to work because it won't recognize the phone correctly. Download lg bridge and try the error recovery thing that usually works quite well. Of course it will mean you'll have to start the whole process again if you want root.

*Side note - if you decide to use lg bridge to "rebirth" your device it's going to boot up eventually with the bootloader unlocked in the interface but not in fastboot. You need to go into dev mode and lock the bootloader up as well as in fastboot and restart the phone with it locked in order to truly start the process again. Not responsible for ****. Lmk how it goes

mr.moonl1ght

Apr 9, 2019
H87220g (20g)

Thanks! I succesfully flashed Magisk, recovery and custom ROM using this method! I had problems with flashing TWRP via ADB CMD [ERR: FAILED (remote: unknown command)] so luckily I found this method..

For anyone wondering, yes, you can use this method for H87220g (20g) model.. You just use/download 20g kdz file, there it is: 20g KDZ.. Then just carefully follow the steps given as for 20a - use SD Card to flash TWRP 3.2.3 (use the one that is given in the steps), and then you can flash other things you want.. :)

WARNING: For this "substep":
• After the flash is initiated, pay close attention to the "step" and as soon as it changes from laf to another partition, PULL THE USB CABLE!
At least in my case, the "step" changed from laf to another partition in like 1-2 seconds max, so yeah, I had only 1-2 seconds after i started flashing process to PULL THE USB CABLE..

Hopefully this is gonna help some of you out there who are not sure about this method.. It may seem complicated and risky but when you carefully follow the steps and do it step by step without skiping any, it's really simple.

Last edited:

bccrosby

Jul 11, 2017
I followed the instructions but I did not unlock the bootloader. Now the download mode is not available and the system is down, too. Is there any solution to unBrick it ? Many thanks!

Deola

Feb 22, 2018
Using h918 stock

I'm confused because the link for the H918(laf) isn't available.
Can another link be used with same 10p rom

theFume

Apr 30, 2014
I got a weird one

Everything was ging fine until step #2. Fire up the put it in d/l mode, fire up FUQWU linux or whatever and run the script. Did nothing but errors, but thats fine I'll just reboot and give it another shot. Only I CANNOT REBOOT. Held down power button for 1 min, power + up for 1 min and power + minus for 1 minute. Even tried the power button alone for 3 minutes. Wont turn off. Stuck in this stat unil it dies I guess. Phone isn't recognized LGUP. Oh well hope it dies fast!

Let the battery die and restarted. Got it working! Thanks for the hard work!

Attachments

• dlmode_stuck.jpg
    dlmode_stuck.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

dcspring

Jul 15, 2020
Thank you for your guide to 20g. I was able to root and flash recovery. Just one question. Did you do last Restore Download Mode as mentioned in OP? I can't find 20g Bootstock with LAF image and assume should not use 20a in OP. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Thank you for your guide to 20g. I was able to root and flash recovery. Just one question. Did you do last Restore Download Mode as mentioned in OP? I can't find 20g Bootstock with LAF image and assume should not use 20a in OP. Thanks again.

Thanks! I succesfully flashed Magisk, recovery and custom ROM using this method! I had problems with flashing TWRP via ADB CMD [ERR: FAILED (remote: unknown command)] so luckily I found this method..

WARNING: For this "substep":
• After the flash is initiated, pay close attention to the "step" and as soon as it changes from laf to another partition, PULL THE USB CABLE!
At least in my case, the "step" changed from laf to another partition in like 1-2 seconds max, so yeah, I had only 1-2 seconds after i started flashing process to PULL THE USB CABLE..

Hopefully this is gonna help some of you out there who are not sure about this method.. It may seem complicated and risky but when you carefully follow the steps and do it step by step without skiping any, it's really simple.

Uchina

Jul 25, 2020
Root worked perfectly!...first time around.

Can anyone point out what I'm missing here?

Backstory
  • Recently I messed around in twrp trying to fix BT mac address issue, and must've screwed something up.
  • Gets stuck on LOS, Havoc, PE boot animation no matter if I wiped/formatted and reinstalled img in twrp.
  • I stumbled across a fix for this in one of the forum but with verry little detail to go off. So here's what I did.
  • twrp-> install -> install img -> and I flashed all the options (laf/modem/bootloader/etc...) with this zip file "h87220e_StockLAF.zip".
  • After reboot, I was able to get the stock "Firmware Update" with "volume up" and flashed "H87220g_00_1228.kdz" using "LGUPv20dll".
  • Phone boots to stock img but the problem I'm having is, when I try to root this time there are few differences compared to first time around.

1. After finishing up the "Select all partitions except laf" part of the guide, phone reboots to 20g stock OS. So I reboot my phone and load "Download Mode" which eventually loads to "Firmware Update"
* Seems to me this is the root of this whole problem. Somehow LGUP can't or don't have write permission to flash the .laf partition.
2. I ignore the fact that it's supposed to be in "Download Mode" not "Firmware Update" and boot to "fwul".
3. I run the "runningnak3d" script with my phone still in "Firmware Update".
* BTW here is what's on the "Firmware Update" screen.
- Do not unplug the USB connection until the process is complete.
- Progress bar. 0%.
- 633E B83
- Official / E / L / RO
4. and finally here's the log after executing "./step1.sh"

Screen shot of ./step1.sh log.
fwulLOG.png

(Noticed hash doesn't match)

LGUP
Partitions-Changed.png

Checked only LAF and unplugged right after laf.
( I noticed that "laf" is part of the changed partition(s). I don't think I saw that the first time around but I could be wrong.)

Part-Change-laf-lafbak.png

Checked all except LAF
( Should there be pop up for "Partition(s) Changed" "laf" "lafbak"?)

Currently phone is running in 20g kdz and works flawlessly. I just want my twrp back. Please help!

Last edited:

Uchina

Jul 25, 2020
Solved.

I downgraded to H87211g and flashed laf using H91810p_00_0717.kdz and everything works like it should.

Also the reason all this happened to begin with was because my Bluetooth's mac address was missing but now it's all fixed after completely reloading twrp :good:

Backstory
  • Recently I messed around in twrp trying to fix BT mac address issue, and must've screwed something up.
  • Gets stuck on LOS, Havoc, PE boot animation no matter if I wiped/formatted and reinstalled img in twrp.
  • I stumbled across a fix for this in one of the forum but with verry little detail to go off. So here's what I did.
  • twrp-> install -> install img -> and I flashed all the options (laf/modem/bootloader/etc...) with this zip file "h87220e_StockLAF.zip".
  • After reboot, I was able to get the stock "Firmware Update" with "volume up" and flashed "H87220g_00_1228.kdz" using "LGUPv20dll".
  • Phone boots to stock img but the problem I'm having is, when I try to root this time there are few differences compared to first time around.

1. After finishing up the "Select all partitions except laf" part of the guide, phone reboots to 20g stock OS. So I reboot my phone and load "Download Mode" which eventually loads to "Firmware Update"
* Seems to me this is the root of this whole problem. Somehow LGUP can't or don't have write permission to flash the .laf partition.
2. I ignore the fact that it's supposed to be in "Download Mode" not "Firmware Update" and boot to "fwul".
3. I run the "runningnak3d" script with my phone still in "Firmware Update".
* BTW here is what's on the "Firmware Update" screen.
- Do not unplug the USB connection until the process is complete.
- Progress bar. 0%.
- 633E B83
- Official / E / L / RO
4. and finally here's the log after executing "./step1.sh"

Screen shot of ./step1.sh log.
fwulLOG.png

(Noticed hash doesn't match)

LGUP
Partitions-Changed.png

Checked only LAF and unplugged right after laf.
( I noticed that "laf" is part of the changed partition(s). I don't think I saw that the first time around but I could be wrong.)

Part-Change-laf-lafbak.png

Checked all except LAF
( Should there be pop up for "Partition(s) Changed" "laf" "lafbak"?)

Currently phone is running in 20g kdz and works flawlessly. I just want my twrp back. Please help!

tejtank

Jan 6, 2016

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

I'm in the same boat - had 20g and now want to restore download mode but linked file no longer available.

I did find 20e Stock LAF from - https://xdaforums.com/tmobile-g6/development/stock-t-mobile-g6-stock-collection-t3875515
And from what I understand, we boot into Recovery TWRP and flash it on LAF.

However, I'm not sure if I need 20g LAF or can flash any 20X LAF.

Hoping someone will confirm before trying anything.

Based on above post #1057 by @Uchina, looks like he used 20e LAF to get download mode back.

Last edited:

Uchina

Jul 25, 2020
I'm in the same boat - had 20g and now want to restore download mode but linked file no longer available.

I did find 20e Stock LAF from - https://xdaforums.com/tmobile-g6/development/stock-t-mobile-g6-stock-collection-t3875515
And from what I understand, we boot into Recovery TWRP and flash it on LAF.

However, I'm not sure if I need 20g LAF or can flash any 20X LAF.

Hoping someone will confirm before trying anything.

Based on above post #1057 by @Uchina, looks like he used 20e LAF to get download mode back.

I flashed "h87220e_StockLAF.zip" via twrp.

TWRP -> Install -> h87220e_StockLAF.zip -> Swipe to flash.

Shouldn't matter which "20x" since I've done this on "11g" "20a" "20e" "20g" during my troubleshooting.

Again I don't fully understand your question but flashing "h87220e_StockLAF.zip" will put stock "Firmware Update" mode back on, and from there you can flash stock KDZ via "LGUPv20dll".

Let me know if that helped or anything else I can help you with.

Here's an example of what you'll get after flashing "h87220e_StockLAF.zip".
(Ignore the progress bar % and what's on the text box below. You might see different info)
stock-Download-Modeor-Firmware-Update.jpg

Last edited:

tejtank

Jan 6, 2016

I flashed "h87220e_StockLAF.zip" via twrp.

TWRP -> Install -> h87220e_StockLAF.zip -> Swipe to flash.

Shouldn't matter which "20x" since I've done this on "11g" "20a" "20e" "20g" during my troubleshooting.

Again I don't fully understand your question but flashing "h87220e_StockLAF.zip" will put stock "Firmware Update" mode back on, and from there you can flash stock KDZ via "LGUPv20dll".

Let me know if that helped or anything else I can help you with.

Here's an example of what you'll get after flashing "h87220e_StockLAF.zip".
(Ignore the progress bar % and what's on the text box below. You might see different info)
stock-Download-Modeor-Firmware-Update.jpg

Thanks for the reply.
That's the download mode.
I wanted to enable download mode and was not sure which laf to flash.

Thanks for confirming that "h87220e_StockLAF.zip" or any 20x laf can be flash to get download mode (firmware update) back.

Did you had to select 'laf/download" in TWRP or just flash it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING
    • DO NOT LET YOUR PHONE REBOOT, OR POWER OFF UNTIL I TELL YOU THAT IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.
      If you do, I am not sure what shape your phone will be in.
    • This should go without saying, but you MUST have your bootloader unlocked (check OEM UNLOCK in developer options AND fastboot oem unlock). If you don't, you will probably brick your phone.
    • If you use this on any model G6 besides the H872, you will be stuck in a bootloop, and you will not be able to fix it since you will have wiped out download mode!
    • This is safe if no mistakes are made (typos, missing a step, etc). However, if you do mess up, the risk is high that you lose download mode at best, or brick your phone at worst.
    • If you deviate from this procedure, and think: "I can just skip a step, or I can do this on my own Linux install". Don't complain if you brick your phone.

PREREQUISITES:
    • You must have a version of laf that has the COPY opcode.
      Since none of the firmware available for the H872 has the COPY opcode, we have to use the H918 laf partition.
      Grab the H918 10p KDZ: link to 10p KDZ
    • You need to be on 11g or above. Be aware, once you are on 11g+ you cannot downgrade to any versions prior to 11g due to anti-rollback.
      You will need a copy of the KDZ that your phone is on. If you are not currently on 11g, upgrade before continuing.
      For 11g : Link to 11g KDZ
      For 11h : Link to 11h KDZ
      For 20a : Link to 20a KDZ
    • We are going to flash this using the patched LG UP. There may be one that was patched specifically for the G6 -- don't use it,
      it has NOT been tested. Grab the one for the V20: link
      It MUST be installed in: C:program Files (x86)LG ElectronicsLGUP
      You can't just unzip it anywhere and run it, it will not find the model file.
    • You need the H872 Unofficial 3.2.3 TWRP by @Eliminator74. 3.2.3 is included in the repo so that you know that you have the exact version.
      If you decide to use any other version, you will brick your phone because the commands below are for this exact version!
    • You need to grab FWUL (version 2.7 or later) and burn it to a USB stick: link
      Even if you have Linux, and you think you can install the dependencies, don't. I know this works from FWUL.
    • If you are rooting on 20a, you will need a Micro-SD card. Copy the TWRP 3.2.3 image and the latest Magisk zip to the SD card.

WARNING: Only applies if rooting while on 20a
    Minor Encryption-related issues have occurred while testing 20a. If your data partition is encrypted, TWRP will NOT be able to decrypt it. Because of this, you will have to perform a wipe and format of your Data partition. Be sure to backup all data on your device prior to continuing by copying important files to an external SD card or using LG Mobile Switch to back it up.

PROCEDURE PART 1: Getting a working LAF onto your phone
    By far this is the most dangerous part of this procedure.
    • Boot to download mode
    • In LG UP, choose partition DL.
    • Pick the H918 10p KDZ
    • Click start / ok
    • When you will be given a list of partitions to flash, only check laf
    • Click start / ok
    • You will get a warning about additional modified partitions -- ignore it, and click OK.
    • As a safety feature, LG UP will start flashing those modified partitions after laf completes flashing.
      After the flash is initiated, pay close attention to the "step" and as soon as it changes from laf to another partition, PULL THE USB CABLE!
      If you let it completely flash the H918 KDZ, your phone WILL reboot, and you WILL have a brick that can't be fixed.
      You need to pay attention, but you also don't need to be sitting on pins and needles. You have quite a bit of time to pull the cable since system is one of the partitions that is flashed
    • Click OK and it will start flashing.
    • Once laf is flashed, and you have pulled the USB cable, you can click exit, and then re-open LG UP.
    • Choose partition DL again, and this time pick the H872 KDZ for the version your phone was on prior to flashing 10p (11g, 11h, or 20a)
    • Select all partitions except laf. If you forget to uncheck laf, you will have to do this all over again.
    • When it completes, it will reboot your phone.
    • Go back into download mode. This time you will be running the H918 laf, and we can continue with PART 2

PROCEDURE PART 2: Installing TWRP
    • Boot from your FWUL USB stick.
    • Put your phone into download mode. With the phone powered off, hold vol up and plug in the USB cable. You do not need to touch the power button -- the phone will power on and enter download mode.
      This will NOT look like normal download mode on the phone. All you will get is small box that says: "Download mode" -- this is normal. You will also not have ANY indication on the PHONE that it is being flashed.
    • Once booted, login. The password is: linux
    • Double click the LG folder that is on the desktop
    • Double click on LG LAF (runningnak3d) icon and you will be at a terminal prompt.
      The following are the commands that you enter into that terminal. You can copy / paste them if you like.
    Code:
    git pull
    git checkout h872-miscwrte
    ./step1.sh
    When you are told to, pull the USB cable, and the phone will power off. You now have TWRP on your laf partition. At this point you can flash a ROM, or Magisk or whatever you like, but I would suggest
    at least flashing TWRP to the recovery partition. There is no button combination to get into laf (download mode), so if you only have TWRP on laf, then you will need a USB cable to get into recovery.

OPTIONAL:
    If you don't know what to do with TWRP, and you just want to run rooted stock 11g, 11h or 20a, this is for you....
    First boot into TWRP - with the phone off, hold vol up and plug in the USB cable.

PROCEDURE PART 3: Rooting and cleanup
    Now that you are in TWRP:
    Nougat (11g, 11h Users)
    • ./step2.sh
    If you ran step2.sh you have TWRP on laf, and recovery, and you are rooted. If you only ran step1.sh, then you have TWRP on laf. Either way, enjoy!

Oreo (20a) Users
    • Once in TWRP, click the “Wipe” button.
    • Choose Advanced Wipe and select the Dalvik, Data and Cache options and Wipe. Do not reboot the phone.
    • Go back to the main menu or main wipe screen
    • Select “Format Data” and complete the format.
    • Go back to the main menu and choose Install, and then Install Image.
    • Flash the TWRP 3.2.3 image from external_sd to the RECOVERY partition. DO NOT Reboot to System.
    • Go back to the main screen and attempt to reboot to Recovery.
    • If you are able to reboot to recovery without any issues, you should now Install the Magisk zip from external_sd.
    • After flashing Magisk, you may now reboot to system and Oreo should boot to the initial Android Setup screen.
    • After booting to Oreo, make sure you enable installations from Unknown Sources in your Android Settings and install the latest Magisk Manager.

If Oreo boots to an "Encryption Unsuccessful" screen, you will need to format the Data partition again. Tap the reset button and it should boot to Recovery. Perform another wipe of cache/data/dalvik and go back to the Wipe screen and Format Data. Reboot system and you should boot to Oreo Normally.

To Restore Download Mode
    20a - Flash @Eliminator74's Bootstock with LAF image using TWRP
    11g - Flash @weakNPCdotCom's StockLAF image using TWRP

CREDITS:
    • @KAsp3rd -- he risked his phone to make this happen. There were no guarantees that the H918 laf would boot and function.
    • Lekensteyn -- His base work on the G2 / G3 gave me a GREAT headstart!
    • @steadfasterX - He added some real nice features, great guy to bounce ideas off, and just testing crazy ideas because he wasn't afraid to brick his phone :) Also, for FWUL
    • tuxuser - Helping with my lacking in Python
    • @smitel - His original reverse engineering of LG UP. Great inspiration!
    • @weakNPCdotCom - Testing/Help with H87220a (Oreo)

-- Brian

XDA:DevDB Information
    lafsploit - H872, Tool/Utility for the T-Mobile LG G6

Contributors
    runningnak3d, KAsp3rd, weakNPCdotCom
    Source Code: http://gitlab.com/runningnak3d/lglaf

Version Information

Created 2018-04-09
    Last Updated 2018-10-09
    I'll just leave this here.
    I tried my hand at making a video tutorial for this method. There are a few mistakes, but hopefully it should still be helpful.
    Here's the link if anyone is interested:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4CWLikPcI
    Fired everything up again (after having some much needed rest), all systems are functioning and root has been obtained.
    @runningnak3d - Going back to restoring stock LAF, you said we can extract it from the KDZ, but where to we flash it from? or it just a image we can do inside TWRP from recovery?

If you want to restore original laf:

1- Download original laf here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CfqXtGVMlyOHbOfzFGTFOKBECF1oGkML/view?usp=sharing

2- Copy laf.img to phone.

3- Enable adb on phone.

4- Open command prompt.

5- Adb shell, accept adb on phone.

6- Su, allow on phone.

7- dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/soc/624000.ufshc/by-name/laf

8- dd if=/sdcard/laf.img of=/dev/block/platform/soc/624000.ufshc/by-name/laf

Now you have stock laf and you can enter on download mode again.
    Exactly what I'm asking, I want to flash a real H872 twrp to recovery partition via the laf h870 twrp installed during the root process. Right now we can't flash H872 custom roms (without modifying the zip) because twrp thinks it's a H872. Thank you for your reply.

Understood. I haven't had the time to build TWRP for the 872 yet. I should have one out in the coming days. Unless you happen to know where one exists