• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROOT] H932 - lafploit 1.5 up to v20a

Did this work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 133 74.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • No and I lost download mode

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • No and I have a brick

Votes: 11 6.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

[email protected]

Feb 9, 2011
Carrollton. Texas 75010
Because this root method uses a LAF Partition from another North American variant, the Canada H933. But ONLY that one Partition and ONLY if the bootloader is first unlocked. It's the one exception to the ironclad rule not to cross flash any other variant firmware over T-Mobile H932.
Good evening, Sir.

A quick synopsis of my current predicament:

I have a battered, bruised and beaten TMO LG V30 64GB version.

The phone was recently bootloader unlocked and running on Android 9, but decided to downgrade to Nougat 7.1.2 to attempt TWRP and root installation (still bootloader unlocked). So far, so good; no bootloops, perma-bricks and/or download mode removals have been seen (knock on wood😏).

I've performed all the steps successfully in part 1 of the LAFploit, but running into issues burning an image of FWUL on a SanDisk USB stick w/32GB of storage.

This is my hangup on part 2 of this very tricky procedure.

Still searching the net for other flashing programs, but any tips on part 2 would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

diggr

Jul 22, 2021
After I do the git pull and git checkout, I have no step1.sh. Has anybody else ran into this?

(solved): I used the dd commands that appeared in the next couple of post replies.

vmware_IXFmet5ceg.png

Last edited:

diggr

Jul 22, 2021
I have an even better question.

What external flash drive did you use to burn the TWUL image onto and what brand? I've already ruined 2 SanDisk thumb drives and I'm hesitant to break another one.😅

Well, I figured out my problem. I didn't read further down into the instructions. What a n00b.

To answer your question, I used a generic Patriot 2GB stick I got probably 12yrs ago. When I do things like this, I like to stay below 4GB.

However, I also converted the ISOs to VMDKs using the Virtual Box converter on the 2.7, 3.1, and 3.2 versions of FWUL and they all worked okay in VMware Workstation. VMs aren't recommended, but they seem to work fine.

[email protected]

Feb 9, 2011
Carrollton. Texas 75010
Well, I figured out my problem. I didn't read further down into the instructions. What a n00b.

To answer your question, I used a generic Patriot 2GB stick I got probably 12yrs ago. When I do things like this, I like to stay below 4GB.

However, I also converted the ISOs to VMDKs using the Virtual Box converter on the 2.7, 3.1, and 3.2 versions of FWUL and they all worked okay in VMware Workstation. VMs aren't recommended, but they seem to work fine.
Well, I was able to boot into what looks like TWUL but don't know what mode I should run when the options menu briefly flash on the screen.

I get a [rootfs ]# prompt on the screen.

I'm trying to get all the assistance I can because this is, by far, the toughest part of this TWRP flash.🤷🏾‍♂️

Also, the device doesn't seem to be recognized by the PC which means something is off.

duytung277

Jul 26, 2021
I completed all step and installed twrp, but when i install rom (RR, Dotos, Havoc,...), i get many bug (wifi, finger,...). Now, i can install rom for H932 or H933 after use H933 LAF ??? sorry for my English :"(

diggr

Jul 22, 2021
Well, I was able to boot into what looks like TWUL but don't know what mode I should run when the options menu briefly flash on the screen.

I get a [rootfs ]# prompt on the screen.

I'm trying to get all the assistance I can because this is, by far, the toughest part of this TWRP flash.🤷🏾‍♂️

Also, the device doesn't seem to be recognized by the PC which means something is off.

No, that doesn't sound correct, you should boot into a GUI; but it might be enough. If adb runs, you've set the phone for USB debugging, and USB is set for file transfer, you should see the phone in an 'adb devices'.

diggr

Jul 22, 2021
I completed all step and installed twrp, but when i install rom (RR, Dotos, Havoc,...), i get many bug (wifi, finger,...). Now, i can install rom for H932 or H933 after use H933 LAF ??? sorry for my English :"(

Those bugs are normal. You need to find a file called "[RECOVERY] WiFi_Fix_LG-v30_v2.zip" to fix the wifi. It installs from TWRP and it'll fix the wifi issue. I found it in the Telegram channel.

LG V30 Update Channel

I have not fixed my fingerprint issue. They say if you reflash the oreo modem file, it'll fix the finterprint reader.

Laomediex87

Jul 9, 2021
what about octoplus? does it work if i downgrade to oreo? and is it free? i found a crack online and i wonder if it works :)

Sakuryu

Feb 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Hi, in reading through the V30 forums I was on my way to unlocking and rooting my old backup V30+ and apparently got my wires crossed somewhere? I have a T-Mobile V30+ and I used the DualMode LGUP file to flash 20b onto it.

I *think* this is where I f*cked up since reading into more forums it seems like it doesn't like to cross flash with my model?

My fault yeah but I got there through some link hopping since I was on A9. Anyway, I have a black screen now. Can't shut it off, turn it on whatever. QUSB_BULK.

Any idea how I can unbrick this? I can handle whatever code or programs if I need to read into junk.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi, in reading through the V30 forums I was on my way to unlocking and rooting my old backup V30+ and apparently got my wires crossed somewhere? I have a T-Mobile V30+ and I used the DualMode LGUP file to flash 20b onto it.

I *think* this is where I f*cked up since reading into more forums it seems like it doesn't like to cross flash with my model?

My fault yeah but I got there through some link hopping since I was on A9. Anyway, I have a black screen now. Can't shut it off, turn it on whatever. QUSB_BULK.

Any idea how I can unbrick this? I can handle whatever code or programs if I need to read into junk.

WHICH 20b did you flash? For what model? It has to be for the T-Mobile H392, not any other models. H932 20b KDZ (stock ROM).

You have an actual T-Mobile H932 V30+ (128GB)? Those were only sold for limited time. Most H932 are the V30 (64GB).

Why 20b? To root the T-Mobile H932 you would be using Nougat 10d first, if you read these directions. There's no mention of 20b in these instructions, whereas for the WFT instructions you have to use early Oreo like 20a or 20b for the bootloader unlock exploit -- but those instructions are not compatible with the T-Mobile H932. The T-Mobile H932 is the hardest to root and can only be done by this specific method in this thread.

If you actually have a T-Mobile H932 V30+ or even the 64GB V30 H932 and you flashed any other model (US998, H933, H930*, H931, VS996) full KDZ over it, you have permanently bricked it. We have plenty of warnings everywhere about NOT cross flashing other stock firmware over T-Mobile H932.

To root the T-Mobile H932, you do have to flash a single partition (LAF) from the H933 (Canada) Nougat 10d, but that's ONLY after you have unlocked the bootloader. That relaxes the security chain enough you can safely flash that one partition from another model (but it's still scary) to then install TWRP and root through a very convoluted method. The OP who came up with this is a genius, but you have to follow the steps exactly.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDannemand

Sakuryu

Feb 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
WHICH 20b did you flash? For what model? It has to be for the T-Mobile H392, not any other models. H932 20b KDZ (stock ROM).

You have an actual T-Mobile H932 V30+ (128GB)? Those were only sold for limited time. Most H932 are the V30 (64GB).

Why 20b? To root the T-Mobile H932 you would be using Nougat 10d first, if you read these directions. There's no mention of 20b in these instructions, whereas for the WFT instructions you have to use early Oreo like 20a or 20b for the bootloader unlock exploit -- but those instructions are not compatible with the T-Mobile H932. The T-Mobile H932 is the hardest to root and can only be done by this specific method in this thread.

If you actually have a T-Mobile H932 V30+ or even the 64GB V30 H932 and you flashed any other model (US998, H933, H930*, H931, VS996) full KDZ over it, you have permanently bricked it. We have plenty of warnings everywhere about NOT cross flashing other stock firmware over T-Mobile H932.

To root the T-Mobile H932, you do have to flash a single partition (LAF) from the H933 (Canada) Nougat 10d, but that's ONLY after you have unlocked the bootloader. That relaxes the security chain enough you can safely flash that one partition from another model (but it's still scary) to then install TWRP and root through a very convoluted method. The OP who came up with this is a genius, but you have to follow the steps exactly.
Launch day T-Mobile V30+ with the original Headphones. I got it myself by trading in my old V20+ I believe. I was following a guide to unlock the bootloader which mentioned flashing "US99820b_03_0524.kdz" First since I was on a newer version I think?

I used the "Dual LG UP" Provided in the thread. I believe it was "The Frankenstein Method" I think the website or thread I was using didn't have the bright red warnings this page has.

So it seems I've likely made a very pretty paper-weight. Is there anything I can do to mess with it or practice repair methods on? It was my old phone that was only setting in it's original box prior to this so I'm not too broken up about it.

If there's nothing I can do that honestly kind of sucks, I'd like to tinker with it more since I haven't messed with phone stuff in a long time and wanted some ADB and ODIN practice before even thinking of touching my Note 10+ When it can be rooted.

ranafahad

Nov 8, 2021
Hmmm....

Just be careful. This method in this thread is only for T-mobile H932. All other V30 would use WTF method -- including H932PR. H932PR (Puerto Rico) and T-Mobile H932 have nothing in common except for LG's laziness in not calling it H934 or something... You list Santo Domingo in the Caribbean as your location, so just double checking.

Read this sticky Guide (2 posts). Start with Post #1. It explains what root methods to use for which phones. Also has custom ROMs FAQ.

ROOT Your LG V30! and Custom ROMs FAQ
Brother I have LG-H932PR but i select file for LG-H932 in LG UP. During update my phone become brick. Need your help to fix.
I will be very thankful.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Brother I have LG-H932PR but i select file for LG-H932 in LG UP. During update my phone become brick. Need your help to fix.
I will be very thankful.

The H932PR (Puerto Rico) is totally different from the T-Mobile H932. The H932PR is like the other North American variants -- US998, Canada H933, AT&T H931, Verizon VS996. Whereas, T-Mobile H932 has a different encryption system than any of the other V30/V30+/V30S. LG should have named the the Puerto Rico model the "H934" or something, not re-use a number already taken.

IF you indeed flashed T-Mobile H932 firmware over your H932PR phone, it's hard bricked.

We
talk about the H932PR in other threads where you also posted in as well as the Frankenstein thread. I'm very sorry you bricked your phone, but you should have researched first.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING
    • DO NOT LET YOUR PHONE REBOOT, OR POWER OFF UNTIL I TELL YOU THAT IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.
      If you do, I am not sure what shape your phone will be in.
    • This should go without saying, but you MUST have your bootloader unlocked (check OEM UNLOCK in developer options AND fastboot oem unlock). If you don't, you will probably brick your phone.
    • If you use this on any model V30 besides the H932, you will be stuck in a bootloop, and you will not be able to fix it since you will have wiped out download mode!
    • This is safe if no mistakes are made (typos, missing a step, etc). However, if you do mess up, the risk is high that you lose download mode at best, or brick your phone at worst.
    • If you deviate from this procedure, and think: "I can just skip a step, or I can do this on my own Linux install". Don't complain if you brick your phone.

PREREQUISITES:
    • You MUST to be on 10d: link
    • You must have H933 10h laf installed. You will need the KDZ: link
    • We are going to flash this using the patched LG UP: link MOD EDIT: original link dead. Try THIS ONE instead
      It MUST be installed in: C:program Files (x86)LG ElectronicsLGUP
      You can't just unzip it anywhere and run it, it will not find the model file.
    • You need TWRP: link
    • You need an SD card that is formatted for FAT16 with TWRP copied onto it EXACTLY as it is named when you download it.
    • You need to grab FWUL (version 2.7 or later) and burn it to a USB stick: link
      Even if you have Linux, and you think you can install the dependencies, don't. I know this works from FWUL.
    • After installing TWRP, grab @weakNPCdotCom's latest TWRP flashable ROM threads: Oreo 20s or Pie 30d
    • MOD EDIT: If your phone is (or has been) on Pie, you need to use a later LGUP version to roll back to Nougat 10d, then SWITCH to the original LGUP version linked below for the remaining steps. See this post for details.

PROCEDURE PART 1: Getting a working LAF onto your phone
    By far this is the most dangerous part of this procedure.
    • Make sure you are on or downgraded to 10d
    • Boot to download mode
    • In LG UP, choose partition DL.
    • Pick the H933 10h KDZ
    • Click start
    • You will be given a list of partitions to flash, ONLY check laf
    • Click start
    • You will get a warning about additional modified partitions -- ignore it, and click OK.
    • As a safety feature, LG UP will start flashing those modified partitions after laf completes flashing.
      After the flash is initiated, pay close attention to the "step" and as soon as it changes from laf to another partition, PULL THE USB CABLE!
      If you let it completely flash the H933 KDZ, your phone WILL reboot, and you WILL have a brick that can't be fixed.
      You NEED to pay attention. The additional partitions that are flashed are very small. The second that step changes from laf to
      the next partition, PULL THE USB CABLE!
    • Click OK and it will start flashing.
    • Once laf is flashed, and you have pulled the USB cable, you can click exit, and then re-open LG UP.
    • Choose partition DL again, and this time pick the H932 10d KDZ.
    • Select all partitions except laf. If you forget to uncheck laf, you will have to do this all over again.
    • When it completes, it will reboot your phone.
    • Go back into download mode. This time you will be running the H933 laf, and we can continue with PART 2

PROCEDURE PART 2: Installing TWRP
    • Boot from your FWUL USB stick.
    • Put your phone into download mode. With the phone powered off, hold vol up and plug in the USB cable. You do not need to
      touch the power button -- the phone will power on and enter download mode.
    • Once booted, login. The password is: linux
    • Double click the LG folder that is on the desktop
    • Double click on LG LAF (runningnak3d) icon and you will be at a terminal prompt.
      The following are the commands that you enter into that terminal. You can copy / paste them if you like.

MOD EDIT: Refer to THIS POST to make sure that LGLAF is able to read the SD card

Code:
    git pull
    git checkout h932-dd-write
    ./step1.sh
    When you are told to, pull the USB cable, and the phone will power off. You now have TWRP installed. At this point you can flash a ROM, or Magisk or whatever you like.

You must use the key combination (with phone off, hold vol down + power. When the LG logo appears, immediately release and then hold power until you get the the factory reset screen. Choose yes twice and you will be in TWRP) to IMMEDIATELY boot into recovery. If you don't, then recovery-from-boot.p will wipe out TWRP, and you will have to do THIS part again.

CREDITS:
    • Lekensteyn -- His base work on the G2 / G3 gave me a GREAT headstart!
    • @steadfasterX - He added some real nice features, great guy to bounce ideas off, and just testing crazy ideas because he wasn't afraid to brick his phone :) Also, for FWUL
    • tuxuser - Helping with my lacking in Python
    • @smitel - His original reverse engineering of LG UP. Great inspiration!

-- Brian

XDA:DevDB Information
    [H932] lafsploit 1.5, Tool/Utility for the LG V30

Contributors
    runningnak3d

Version Information

Created 2018-09-14
    Last Updated 2020-07-21
    PROCEDURE PART 2: Installing TWRP and rooting

• Make sure the SD card is in your phone.
    • Boot from your FWUL USB stick.
    • Put your phone into download mode. With the phone powered off, hold vol up and plug in the USB cable. You do not need to
      touch the power button -- the phone will power on and enter download mode.
    • Once booted, login. The password is: linux
    • Double click the LG folder that is on the desktop
    • Double click on LG LAF (runningnak3d) icon and you will be at a terminal prompt.
      The following are the commands that you enter into that terminal. You can copy / paste them if you like.
    Code:
    git pull
    git checkout h932-dd-write
    ./lglaf.py

These next commands you will type into the LGLAF shell. It will look like this:

Code:
    LGLAF.py by Peter Wu (https://lekensteyn.nl/lglaf)
    Type a shell command to execute or "exit" to leave.
    #

You will type these commands at the # prompt that you see above. When you enter the commands, you will NOT get any indication that the command completed. However, if you get this:

Code:
    Hello, I am LAF. Nice to meet you.
    then you typed the command incorrectly, and you need to try again. There are TWO spaces between !EXEC and toybox.
    Also, the phone will NOT indicate that flashing is taking place since we are using dd and NOT the normal WRTE opcode. When you enter !CTRL POFF, the phone will go to 100%.

Lastly CAPS matter. These lines need to be typed exactly (better to use copy / paste). If you mess up, it is no big deal, just try again.
    Code:
    !EXEC  toybox dd if=/storage/external_SD/twrp.img of=/dev/block/sde bs=4096 seek=10246\0
    !CTRL POFF

You can now pull the USB cable, and your phone will power off. You now have TWRP installed. At this point you can flash a ROM, or Magisk or whatever you like.

You must use the key combination to immediately boot to TWRP:
    • Power off your phone
    • Hold vol down + power.
    • When the LG logo appears, immediately release power (and ONLY power) and then immediately hold power again until you get the the factory reset screen.
      You never let go of vol down until the factory reset screen appears. Once it appears, you can release both buttons.
    • Choose yes twice by using the vol down key and power to select, and you will be in TWRP.
    You should only tap the power key to select yes. Don't press and hold, and don't spam the power key.
    It takes TWRP a little bit to boot -- be patient.
    If you don't do this, and you let the phone boot into the OS, then recovery-from-boot.p will wipe out TWRP, and you will have to do THIS part again.
    By THIS part, I mean if you mess up the key combo, and the phone boots to the OS, you only have to do PART 2 -- not this entire process.

ROOTING:
    OK, so now you are in TWRP, we need to flash a few things or TWRP will be wiped out, and your phone will be encrypted again.

• First swipe to allow modifications
    • Choose wipe / format data / type yes
    • Choose reboot / recovery -- this will reload TWRP. Do not choose reboot / system. Make sure that when it reboots you are able to mount data without it prompting for a pin / passcode.
      If it does, then you need to format data again and reboot to recovery because you chose WIPE and not FORMAT.
    • Pick install, and browse to your SD card where you have Magisk, dm-noverity-opt-encrypt, and rctd remover
    • You can install each one individually, or you can add them all together in the queue -- it is your choice. Also, Magisk needs to be flashed first -- the order of the other two zips doesn't matter.
    • Now that they are flashed, reboot to recovery yet again just for good measure. If everything looks good, reboot to system and you should have a rooted phone.

OPTIONAL:
    If you would like a second copy of TWRP on your laf partition (I *highly* recommend this), follow these instructions:

• Download the version of TWRP that you want to install onto laf.
    • Rename it to twrp.img
    • Boot your phone to TWRP, and connect it to your PC
    • Open a command prompt where you downloaded TWRP and type:
      • adb push twrp.img /sdcard/
      • adb shell dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/laf
    With the phone off, hold vol up and plug in the USB cable and you should be greeted by your second copy of TWRP.

CLEANING UP:
    If you do NOT want TWRP on laf, then we at least need to get the H932 laf back onto your phone.

• Download this zip onto your phone: h932_laf.zip
    • Boot to TWRP
    • Choose install, and browse to where you downloaded the zip
    • When it finishes flashing, you will have the H932 laf back.
    I can't say this enough, you should really consider keeping two copies of TWRP around. You will never be in a situation where you go: "Man, I wish I had download mode, but all I have is TWRP".
    However, there are plenty of times that you may wish that you had a second copy of TWRP. Imagine flashing a ROM that wipes out recovery. Oppps. Imagine flashing a new version of TWRP and
    it doesn't boot -- again -- opps.

-- Brian
    PROCEDURE PART 1: Getting a working LAF onto your phone

• Make sure you are on version 10d. Again, check in Software Info / Software Version if you are unsure.
    • Boot to download mode
    • In LG UP, choose partition DL.
    • Pick the H933 10h KDZ
    • Click start
    • You will be given a list of partitions to flash, ONLY check laf
    • Click start
    • You will get a warning about additional modified partitions (cache, OP, userdata) -- ignore it, and click OK.
    • Click OK and it will start flashing.
    • Once the flash completes, your phone will reboot into the OS. Just power off, and go back into download mode.
    • Choose partition DL again, and this time pick the H932 10d KDZ.
    • Select all partitions except laf. If you forget to uncheck laf, you will have to do this all over again.
    • When it completes, it will reboot your phone.
    • Go back into download mode. This time you will be running the H933 laf, and we can continue with PART 2
    I've added link to WTF instructions pointing T-mobile H932 users to here. ALL other V30/30+/V30S can use that easier method, but T-mobile H932 HAS to use this method.
    OK -- those are the final instructions for now. Root away!

I have upgraded to Oreo, and then downgraded to 10d and tested this 4 times so I know it works fine. However, getting H933 laf onto your phone is dangerous. PLEASE pay attention and pull the USB cable. You can be too quick -- pulling it while it is still flashing laf. If you do, then you just need to flash 10d and start again. However, if you wait and your phone reboots, the H933 has a different RSA key and your phone is toast.

I don't have a TMO G7 to test with, but this should work for them as well. Just need to find the correct laf to flash for them.

-- Brian