• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROOT HD 10] Enable advanced power menu (global actions) + my other framework mods!

Search This thread
Okay, when dragging and dropping res, it does finally ask if I really want to copy AFTER it takes quite a while "extracting". I was confusing extracting with unzipping or unpacking...or some other term that would imply it was changing the format. I'm still not sure if it's doing it properly, but I'll keep trying. And I'd still like to know how to make these combined posts cause a notification, and if not, how can I force it to.

The combined posts happen depending on the time between replies to different comments on the same thread. It's automatic.

sga999

Mar 13, 2012
Okay, when dragging and dropping res, it does finally ask if I really want to copy AFTER it takes quite a while "extracting". I was confusing extracting with unzipping or unpacking...or some other term that would imply it was changing the format. I'm still not sure if it's doing it properly, but I'll keep trying. And I'd still like to know how to make these combined posts cause a notification, and if not, how can I force it to.
But are you getting a new notification when the posts end up being combined? My concern is that the subsequent post does not cause a notification when it gets combined into a prior post.

But are you getting a new notification when the posts end up being combined? My concern is that the subsequent post does not cause a notification when it gets combined into a prior post.

Any reply you make or post you quote, the person you're replying to or quoting will get a notification. However if you edit the reply after posting, it will not generate a new notification.

sga999

Mar 13, 2012
Any reply you make or post you quote, the person you're replying to or quoting will get a notification. However if you edit the reply after posting, it will not generate a new notification.
Sorry to mess up your thread with things that aren't about it. What I'm talking about is when I either reply or quick reply, and it's right after my recent post, it combines them. I'm not talking about editing my own post. When it combines a couple of my posts, I do not know that you will get a notification when that second one is combined with the first. Maybe in order to separate them, I am supposed to hit 'post reply' which is below reply and quick reply that I have been hitting. I'll try a little of that later, but just ignore any unusual post that you see from me that gets edited to have no content. That will just be my attempt to see if I can separate them. Okay, enough of that, again, apologies.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Testing

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Okay, it combined them. No luck. Ignore this!

Reactions: DragonFire1024
@DragonFire1024

Thank you for all your great works

My tablet is a Fire HD 10 5.6.1.0
I've copied the apk via root explorer and rebooted
I have all displayed options except the restart option ?

You have to use Xposed gravitybox or another advanced boot menu like it. I've tried several and all work. I settled with NeoPowerMenu and did a total customization.

Sent from my Motorola MotoG3 using XDA Labs

Reactions: FOLOL2011

sga999

Mar 13, 2012
I had downloaded the most recent apktool, 2.3.4. Just for fun, I just tried 2.2.0. There are 4 warnings, but otherwise, it worked. I haven't tried to install the new framework, so I can't be sure all is okay, but it's certainly a good sign. I will also try more recent versions of apktool, i.e. ones between 2.2.0 and 2.3.4, and see where it went wrong.

EDIT: 2.3.2 and earlier are good, 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 are bad.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

If it ain't one thing, it's another! After changing the integer, I'm trying to drag and drop with 7zip from the new apk to the old, as you described in your other thread. For resources.arsc, it works as you said, i.e. it asks if I'm sure I want to copy. But for the res folder, it doesn't ask me anything and just starts extracting into the old. I cancel it before it can complete.

Do you recall doing something different for the res folder? I could be on a different 7zip version than you, of course. I've used 7zip, but I'm not that familiar with it.

EDIT2: I don't think a notification is done if my edit gets combined with my prior post. I tried both reply and quick reply, and both ended up combining. Can someone tell me how to make it do a new post? Or maybe I'm wrong and another notification occurs, in which case, ignore this!
About apktool version, I had trouble later, even with 2.3.2, That version helped me recompile, but later when trying to use 7zip to do some modifications, the results were bad. So this is just a heads-up to those who changed to 2.3.2 and expected it to work in all cases.

Thank you. Which other Xposed modules do you recommend to use with your apks ?

I use mostly gravity box. The music visualizer works which is great since I have Pandora on at work every night. I think my framework apk got the notification ticker to work with gravity box. That's a long forgotten feature that is better for tablets than phones. If your scrolling seems to get weird or animation between windows starts to flash or slow down I use Uniformed Transitions which stops other apps from overriding your animation values in developer settings. You should Change the three window animation values in developer settings to a value of .5 (anything lower will cause a crash).

Sent from my Motorola MotoG3 using XDA Labs

iTakMD

Mar 27, 2018
Thank you for your work, i tested this out on 5.6.3.0 (5.3.6.0) and unfortunately it would restart the tablet once i held the power button. Saw a few post back that it was a small integer change so i recompiled the framework apk with the change from 2 to 1. For some reason, the stock menu was just "Power off", no " Airplane Mode, Settings, Lock Now, and volume" anymore, not sure if i needed to edit something else or it was removed from the update? Anyways i Installed GravityBox and added the restart and screenshot menu, which is really all i wanted.

Thank you for your work, i tested this out on 5.6.3.0 (5.3.6.0) and unfortunately it would restart the tablet once i held the power button. Saw a few post back that it was a small integer change so i recompiled the framework apk with the change from 2 to 1. For some reason, the stock menu was just "Power off", no " Airplane Mode, Settings, Lock Now, and volume" anymore, not sure if i needed to edit something else or it was removed from the update? Anyways i Installed GravityBox and added the restart and screenshot menu, which is really all i wanted.

I have to work on the stock options. There are some missing. But you figured it out. As long as the global actions menu is set to 1, ANY Xposed module for advanced power options will work.

lichan

Jan 9, 2011
Oklahoma City
My Fire HD 10 is on 5.6.3.4 (5.6.3.0) so I tried to build a framework-res.apk for it using the one copied from /system/framework to my PC using apktool 2.2.4. I made the single change of the "long push on power button" from 2 to 1 in one of the integers.xml files and then rebuilt the framework-res.apk with apktool, copied it back and rebooted. And it never got to the rippling FIRE screen. So I sideloaded the system back in and re-rooted with KingoRoot to get back to where I started. Were there any more changes than the PowerButton long-push integer value that I needed to change?

My Fire HD 10 is on 5.6.3.4 (5.6.3.0) so I tried to build a framework-res.apk for it using the one copied from /system/framework to my PC using apktool 2.2.4. I made the single change of the "long push on power button" from 2 to 1 in one of the integers.xml files and then rebuilt the framework-res.apk with apktool, copied it back and rebooted. And it never got to the rippling FIRE screen. So I sideloaded the system back in and re-rooted with KingoRoot to get back to where I started. Were there any more changes than the PowerButton long-push integer value that I needed to change?

You need to use the framework from your fireOS. As stated in the op, this mod doesn't yet support fireOS 5.3.x.x.

Sent from my MotoG3 using XDA Labs

lichan

Jan 9, 2011
Oklahoma City
You need to use the framework from your fireOS. As stated in the op, this mod doesn't yet support fireOS 5.3.x.x.

Sorry that it wasn't clear, but I did use the framework-res.apk copied from my tablet to my Windows 10 PC. This was my first use of apktool so I may have done something wrong. The steps I followed were (IIRC):

- Copy /system/framework/framework-res.apk to the Download directory on the Fire HD 10.
- Copy from Download to PC directory
- In the PC directory containing framework-res.apk in a cmd.exe window, "apktool d framework-res.apk".
That created the framework-res directory next to the apk containing decoded files.
- Searched through the res subdirectory for all instances of integers.xml.
- Looked at the integers.xml until I found the one (it was about 14K in size) that contained the line about "long push on PowerButton" (paraphrase), edited it in WordPad (maybe a problem here?) and change the 2 to a 1. Saved it.
- Issued "apktool b framework-res" for the directory containing all the stuff
- Copied the newly created framework.apk file to the tablet's Download directory on the PC.
- using rooted ES File Explorer, overwrote the original apk in the framework directory.
- Reboot

The white Amazon screen appeared and disappeared and stayed on the blank screen, no rippling FIRE boot screen appeared. Power off. Reboot. Same result. Adb reboot recovery, sideload 5.6.3.4.bin update, root with KingoRoot. Now back at the starting point.

Does anything stand out as incorrect. It was late at night, but I'm pretty sure I kept all the "framework-res.apk" files separate ( that is not confused with a copy of yours downloaded from this thread.)

If this seems correct, I may try again paying close attention at each point.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Sorry that it wasn't clear, but I did use the framework-res.apk copied from my tablet to my Windows 10 PC. This was my first use of apktool so I may have done something wrong. The steps I followed were (IIRC):

- Copy /system/framework/framework-res.apk to the Download directory on the Fire HD 10.
- In the PC directory containing framework-res.apk in a cmd.exe window, "apktool d framework-res.apk".
That created the framework-res directory next to the apk containing decoded files.
- Looked at the integers.xml until I found the one (it was about 14K in size) that contained the line about "long push on PowerButton" (paraphrase), edited it in WordPad (maybe a problem here?) and change the 2 to a 1. Saved it.
- Copied the newly created framework.apk file to the tablet's Download directory on the PC.
- using rooted ES File Explorer, overwrote the original apk in the framework directory.
- Reboot

The white Amazon screen appeared and disappeared and stayed on the blank screen, no rippling FIRE boot screen appeared. Power off. Reboot. Same result. I could notuse an adb shell to restore the backup copy because root was lost. Adb reboot recovery, sideload 5.6.3.4.bin update, root with KingoRoot. Now back at the starting point.

Does anything stand out as incorrect. It was late at night, but I'm pretty sure I kept all the "framework-res.apk" files separate ( that is not confused with a copy of yours downloaded from this thread.)

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

- Reboot

The white Amazon screen appeared and disappeared and stayed on the blank screen, no rippling FIRE boot screen appeared. Power off. Reboot. Same result. I could not use an adb shell to restore the backup copy because root was lost. Adb reboot recovery, sideload 5.6.3.4.bin update, root with KingoRoot. Now back at the starting point.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

I'm not sure how the double post showed up when I tried to edit in a correction.

- Reboot

The white Amazon screen appeared and disappeared and stayed on the blank screen, no rippling FIRE boot screen appeared. Power off. Reboot. Same result. Adb reboot recovery, sideload 5.6.3.4.bin update, root with KingoRoot. Now back at the starting point.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

- Reboot

The white Amazon screen appeared and disappeared and stayed on the blank screen, no rippling FIRE boot screen appeared. Power off. Reboot. Same result. I could notuse an adb shell to restore the backup copy because root was lost. Adb reboot recovery, sideload 5.6.3.4.bin update, root with KingoRoot. Now back at the starting point.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

- Reboot

The white Amazon screen appeared and disappeared and stayed on the blank screen, no rippling FIRE boot screen appeared. Power off. Reboot. Same result. I could not use an adb shell to restore the backup copy because root was lost. Adb reboot recovery, sideload 5.6.3.4.bin update, root with KingoRoot. Now back at the starting point.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

I'm not sure how the double post showed up when I tried to edit in a correction.

You need to do this in apktool
Code:
apktool if framework-res.apk

Code:

That should be run the very first time you want to decompile any framework. It only has to be done once for every framework you want to decompile/edit/recompile. Then decompile, edit and recompile.

When recompiled, open the dist folder. Right click the framework apk and open it as an archive (if on 7zip). Then go back to main apktool screen and right click the framework apk you pulled from your device and open it as an archive. Go back to the archive window for the framework in the dist folder. Click the res folder and drag it to the window with the original framework archive and let go. Tap yes on the pop up. Do the same for resources and classes.dex (if there is one). Then close both archive windows. Copy the framework apk from the main apktool window, to your tablet and install with a root file explorer. See here for reference: https://forum.xda-developers.com/am...t-enable-daydream-screensaver-change-t3771041

lichan

Jan 9, 2011
Oklahoma City
Code:

That should be run the very first time you want to decompile any framework. It only has to be done once for every framework you want to decompile/edit/recompile. Then decompile, edit and recompile.

When recompiled, open the dist folder. Right click the framework apk and open it as an archive (if on 7zip). Then go back to main apktool screen and right click the framework apk you pulled from your device and open it as an archive. Go back to the archive window for the framework in the dist folder. Click the res folder and drag it to the window with the original framework archive and let go. Tap yes on the pop up. Do the same for resources and classes.dex (if there is one). Then close both archive windows. Copy the framework apk from the main apktool window, to your tablet and install with a root file explorer. See here for reference: https://forum.xda-developers.com/am...t-enable-daydream-screensaver-change-t3771041

Thanks. I followed your Daydream thread exactly (and bookmarked it for reference) and it worked like a charm. I noticed that in 5.6.3.0 Daydream was enabled by default but I don't see the option anywhere in display (which is different from your description of the earlier Fire OSes.)

Thanks. I followed your Daydream thread exactly (and bookmarked it for reference) and it worked like a charm. I noticed that in 5.6.3.0 Daydream was enabled by default but I don't see the option anywhere in display (which is different from your description of the earlier Fire OSes.)

Got a lot of projects going on at the same time. If that worked, in the settings APK, there should be an asset folder and if I recall, a restriction file. Open it in notepad++. Look for the lines referencing display mirroring and delete the lines and any extra brackets. make sure you line everything up perfectly and save the file. Recompile and etc. That's the first step. If I'm am right, this hack circumvents any display mirroring amazon may have blocked. Also look through the app with activity launcher real good for it. Would be cast screen or display mirroring or etc.

Edit: you also need to edit the framework for display mirroring. Decompile, go to res, values, bools. Look for config_WifiDisplayEnable and change false to true. Save, recompile etc.

Last edited:

lichan

Jan 9, 2011
Oklahoma City
Code:

Got a lot of projects going on at the same time. If that worked, in the settings APK, there should be an asset folder and if I recall, a restriction file. Open it in notepad++. Look for the lines referencing display mirroring and delete the lines and any extra brackets. make sure you line everything up perfectly and save the file. Recompile and etc. That's the first step. If I'm am right, this hack circumvents any display mirroring amazon may have blocked. Also look through the app with activity launcher real good for it. Would be cast screen or display mirroring or etc.

Edit: you also need to edit the framework for display mirroring. Decompile, go to res, values, bools. Look for config_WifiDisplayEnable and change false to true. Save, recompile etc.

I edited the framework-res.apk and in addition to the advanced power menu, added your settings for Wifi, Google Location Services, Alexa and Google Quick Search, and the items you mentioned above. Everything works except the Day Dream screen saver. BasicDreams is listed in Activity Launcher under SystemUI along with DessertCase but it does not run when tapped just a message about launching it but nothing happens. Show Mode seems to be involved in this somehow since it shows the clock as a screen saver but nothing else. The display settings are different in this release of Fire OS. I'll look around some more after I get Viper4Android working along with some other stuff I saw in your FireTabletSettings.apk and the All-In-One Zip. Thanks for the help and guidance.

I edited the framework-res.apk and in addition to the advanced power menu, added your settings for Wifi, Google Location Services, Alexa and Google Quick Search, and the items you mentioned above. Everything works except the Day Dream screen saver. BasicDreams is listed in Activity Launcher under SystemUI along with DessertCase but it does not run when tapped just a message about launching it but nothing happens. Show Mode seems to be involved in this somehow since it shows the clock as a screen saver but nothing else. The display settings are different in this release of Fire OS. I'll look around some more after I get Viper4Android working along with some other stuff I saw in your FireTabletSettings.apk and the All-In-One Zip. Thanks for the help and guidance.

Was this on the HD10? And if so possible to post?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *****ONLY WORKS FOR FIREOS 5.6.2.0 OR LOWER*****

The title says it all. I've activated the stock global actions power menu. The options need tweaking a bit still, but this was too good to wait.

For the moment, without an Xposed module, the stock options are: Airplane Mode, Settings, Lock Now, and volume. With Gravitybox, you can add power (might be stock. I noticed this after gravitybox was installed), restart (which leads to soft reboot, reboot, recovery reboot and boot loader reboot).

How?
    One minor edit to the framework was all it took. The menu was disabled, the value set to 0. Change the value to 1, and you get the menu. Simply long press the power button for a couple of seconds and it will pop up.

I have been trying for so long to get this to work. I looked at the configuration dozens of times and didn't figure out what it meant until today. This needs a bit more work and can probably be added to my settings.apk, but that's for another day.

Requirements:
    Rooted HD 10 on FireOS ***5.6.1.0 or 5.6.2.0****
    Windows PC with ADB

Installation:
    1. Download and install adbd insecure.

2. Download and place the attached framework-res.apk in your ADB folder and plug your tablet into your PC.

3. Open adbd insecure and check the top box to make adb insecure. Open an adb window and type the following, hitting enter at the end of each line:
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk 
    adb reboot

4. Long press power button. Score. :highfive:

P.S. This framework also contains all previous modifications. References:
    How to guide: Enable 'ok Google' to work from ANY screen
    [ROOT] [HD 10 2017] FireTabletSettings.apk Rewritten [August 22, 2018]
    [FIRMWARE] [STOCK] Pre-rooted, optimized, stock firmware for HD 10 Suez [APRIL 2019]
    [Root] [HD 10 Suez] Remove parental control applications/restrictions [May 2019]
    [TEST] [Flash Zip] [HD 10] [ROOT] All-in-1: The ultimate hacks, tricks & mods zip
    [Root] [App] [All tablets] Disable & replace lock screen - set custom wallpaper
    NO ROOT REQUIRED: Working Screen Mirroring

UPDATE (for 5.6.1.0):
    June 1, 2019
    - Increased default system volumes from -6 db to 8
    - Set preference for 5ghz wifi to false. Setting this to true only allows 5ghz connections. 2ghz are ignored if set to true.
    - Fixed typo in time server I found in the system logs.
    - Extend network attributes (I don't know if these actually work but doesn't hurt either way)
    - Wpa_supplicant_scan_interval by default is set to 15000.... milliseconds. Raised value to 150000000. This may have been the cause of disconnects on a constant level.
    - preferences prefer dual pane set to true
    - Bar separating notifications from system messages was narrow (set to true). Set it to false.
    - Low battery warning is now 10% instead of 25%. Extreme low battery warning (almost dead battery) set at 5%
    UPDATE (5.6.1.0):

- Increased default system volumes from -6 db to 8
    - Set preference for 5ghz wifi to false. Setting this to true only allows 5ghz connections. 2ghz are ignored if set to true.
    - Fixed typo in time server I found in the system logs.
    - Extend network attributes (I don't know if these actually work but doesn't hurt either way)
    - Wpa_supplicant_scan_interval by default is set to 15000.... milliseconds. Raised value to 150000000. This may have been the cause of disconnects on a constant level.
    - preferences prefer dual pane set to true
    - Bar separating notifications from system messages was narrow (set to true). Set it to false.
    Code:

Was this on the HD10? And if so possible to post?

This was on the HD 10 with the most recent OTA update, 5.6.3.4 and I'll attach it below. As usual, use at your own peril. Save your current framework-res.apk as a backup. If you run into problems you can always update from recovery and sideload the update-fire10-5.6.3.4.bin from adb and start over with KingoRoot.
    @DragonFire1024

Nice hack! Like your new power menu - always wanted something like that!

Now, given that it'd be such a burden to update this for every FireOS version, any chance you'd take a stab at putting this together as an Xposed module? Other rooted Fire tablets could use it too.

I recall sometime in the past there were modules designed for FireOS - if you find that on XDA, you could start from that one.