[ROOT]How to get root Moto G 2015 With Android Marshmallow 6.0 (worked in XT1541)

Search This thread

lexiyuri

Jan 8, 2015
Medellín
:fingers-crossed:
How to get root Moto G 2015 With Stock Android Marshmallow 6.0 (XT1541)

Hi guys. Now I have a Moto G 2015 XT1541 with previously unlocked bootloader (following Motorola Guide described here, be careful unlocking bootloader wipes everything!) with recently installed Europe Retail Stock ROM MM 6.0, but i was having some issues trying to install TWRP 3.0 and SuperSU 2.65....until now.

With latest SuperSU you will get bootloop, and probably you need to reinstall the stock rom completely.........but... ....This method works fine!

Try it yourself on XT1540, XT1542, XT1543, XT1544 and XT14548 variants

So, I have used TWRP twrp-osprey-2.8.7-r7.img for the recovery and Super SU Beta 2.62 (BETA-SuperSU-v2.62-3-20151211162651.zip) to get root on my device.

Get TWRP recovery and ROOT

Step 0: enter to developer options (tap 7 times the build number) and select Allowing USB debubbing and Allow OEM unlock options

Step 1: install TWRP 2.8.7-r7 entering to bootloader mode

Turn off the device, press power and volume down and wait for two seconds. device will show bootloader mode in black screen, connect it to the pc through usb cable

Step 2: Paste twrp2.8.7-r7.img file into folder \Android\sdk\platform-tools and rename it to recovery.img (this requires previously installed Android SDK Tools, but you can do the same with MinimalADB

open cmd in windows, navigate to the platform-tools folder location and write this line:

Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img
Wait until ok message appears in cmd

TWRP will appear, and press reboot System. Enter bootloader mode again and type in CMD the following:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Wait until ok message appears in cmd. After that, press in bootloader mode the recovery option, you will enter to twrp and now new recovery becomes permanent, press Reboot system.

Step 3: copy BETA-SuperSU-v2.62-3-20151211162651.zip file into the device and after that, disconnect it from usb

Step 4: turn off the device, enter bootloader mode as stated in step 1, and select the recovery option with the volume up and down , press power button to enter to recovery and twrp will appear instead of original recovery.

Step 5: in twrp press install, select location of the Beta SuperSu File, select beta Super SU zip file and allow installation swipping to the right side and wait until it finish.

Step 5.1: after flash Super SU, wipe dalvik and cache through twrp, pressing the wipe dalvik/cache button located in left side.

Step 6: in twrp press button reboot now.
Wait a little while android rebuild the cache.
The device will enter to the home screen. check that super su app is installed

yBcVLRM.png

Note: if twrp offers to you install SuperSu dont let it. That causes a bug.

Step 7: Install Root checker and check if you are root.

inJL01K.png

Thats all folks!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus 1 - If something goes wrong you can reinstall Stock as described in this repair guides. Check here the firmware and here the reinstall instructions

Plus 2 - How to delete the Motorola annoying unlock bootloader message:

Step 0: connect the device to the pc, copy unlocked_logo.zip file into the device and after that, disconnect from usb

Step 1:
Turn off the device, press power and volume down and wait for two seconds. device will show bootloader mode in black screen

Step 2: In bootloader mode select with the volume up and down the recovery option, press power button to enter and twrp will appear

Step 3: in twrp press install, select location of the unlocked_logo.zip File, select that file and allow installation swipping to the right

Step 4: in twrp press reboot now. The device will boot without nagging window.

Attachments

• twrp287r7.img
    7.9 MB · Views: 63,947
  • BETA-SuperSU-v2.62-3-20151211162651.zip
    4 MB · Views: 88,189
  • unlocked_logo.zip
    461.9 KB · Views: 24,963
Last edited:

MrTooPhone

Nov 23, 2012
Excellent instructions. First time I saw detail to flash TWRP in a manner that does not revert back to stock recovery.

One recommendation, after the first boot to recovery, make a clean (pre-root, pre-cutom recovery) TWRP back up to your SD Card. If anything goes wrong, just flash this backup.

Last edited:

lexiyuri

Jan 8, 2015
Medellín
Excellent instructions. First time I saw detail to flash TWRP in a manner that does not revert back to stock recovery.

One recommendation, after the first boot to recovery, make a clean (pre-root, pre-cutom recovery) TWRP back up to your SD Card. If anything goes wrong, just flash this backup.

Thank you so much! you appreciate my work :) after several soft bricks and some bootloops something good result! :silly:

Reactions: Marcelo_RJ

ygb

May 6, 2007
Northwest

Man I wish read your advice last night before I used one of those automated programs to root (installed latest super su) and bootloop city. I figured I would make a backup right after rooting.
I recovered by installing a close to stock 5.11 rom with twrp but would like to get back to MM without starting from scratch.

Does anyone know of a Stock MM rom (not ASOP) that can be installed with twrp?

H84

Mar 9, 2012
jonkoping
If you get that The phone is not allowed to unlocked The bootloader when i try, how can i unlocked it then

Skickat från min MotoG3 via Tapatalk

Amirphp

Aug 21, 2011
Allahabad
Hi can i use same method to root my moto g xt1550 6.0 2Gb version?
Pls reply.
And i there CWM recovery available instead of TWRP Recovery...
I like CWM.

Wasme00

Mar 9, 2016
moto g 3rd gen

did everything in tor says no such file or dorectory software status says modified does that have anything to do with it? I'm lost

hkr008

Mar 11, 2016
Durgapur, W.B.
how much time will it take to rebuild the cache..?? please tell me...after the process 40 mins has passed and still now my moto g3 has not turned on...it still on the boot screen .......

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
how much time will it take to rebuild the cache..?? please tell me...after the process 40 mins has passed and still now my moto g3 has not turned on...it still on the boot screen .......
I've had it do that on a new flash and I just held the power down until it shut off and when I turned it back on it boots normally.

veloz46

Sep 2, 2011
Android World
Thanks, did not understand why the latest version not started, I see that you can not install a more current than version 2.65.

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk

s0umzta

Aug 31, 2015
One tap root

Is any one tap root system available for moto g version 3 (2015) xt1550 running android 6.0 with build number mpi24.65-25 . need it desperately !

Reactions: babunani777

sethgreen

Sep 11, 2012
in STEP 2, if i use adb minimal i've not this folder \Android\sdk\platform-tools, where i put recovery.img? on minimal folder?

how i can do that?

thanks

Last edited:

MrTooPhone

Nov 23, 2012
" after the first boot to recovery, make a clean (pre-root, pre-cutom recovery)"
how i can do that?

Make sure you have a portable SD Card installed. Then simply boot TWRP, set back up location to SD Card, and make back up. If you never used TWRP, you may want to Google it and learn a little before your first attempt.

Reactions: sethgreen

FrozenCow

Aug 31, 2009
softwarebakery.com
Couldn't get this to work on XT1541 with 24.44.1.osprey_reteu_reteu.en.EU reteu with the instructions mentioned in the first post.
I got things to work by using the latest SuperSU and forced it to install in system-less mode. This worked quite well.

1. First go to bootloader using power+volumedown or from PC:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
2. Then boot TWRP (3.0.0-r2 in my case worked fine):
Code:
fastboot boot twrp-osprey-3.0.0-r2.img
3. Now copy SuperSU to the phone:
Code:
adb push BETA-SuperSU-v2.68-20160228150503.zip /sdcard/
4. Next make sure SuperSU will install in system-less mode:
Code:
adb shell
echo SYSTEMLESS=true > /data/.supersu
5. Install SuperSU by pressing "Install" in TWRP, select BETA-SuperSU-v2.68-20160228150503.zip and swipe. After installing you should see in the log that it used system-less mode. Now you can "Clear Cache/Dalvik" as well.
6. Now reboot. It should show the "Warning Bootloader Unlocked" screen once, then reboot, then show it again and this time it should continue booting into Android.

Reactions: refes

veimus

Hi guys, for me I had NO problem flashing "BETA-SuperSU-v2.62-3-20151211162651.zip" using "twrp-osprey-3.0.0-r2.img" on MPI24.65-33.1 Build number :) XT1541 (+ Allow OEM unlock options)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160321-202218.png
    Screenshot_20160321-202218.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 430
  • Screenshot_20160321-202224.png
    Screenshot_20160321-202224.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 422
  • Screenshot_20160321-201835.png
    Screenshot_20160321-201835.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    :fingers-crossed:
    How to get root Moto G 2015 With Stock Android Marshmallow 6.0 (XT1541)

Hi guys. Now I have a Moto G 2015 XT1541 with previously unlocked bootloader (following Motorola Guide described here, be careful unlocking bootloader wipes everything!) with recently installed Europe Retail Stock ROM MM 6.0, but i was having some issues trying to install TWRP 3.0 and SuperSU 2.65....until now.

With latest SuperSU you will get bootloop, and probably you need to reinstall the stock rom completely.........but... ....This method works fine!

Try it yourself on XT1540, XT1542, XT1543, XT1544 and XT14548 variants

So, I have used TWRP twrp-osprey-2.8.7-r7.img for the recovery and Super SU Beta 2.62 (BETA-SuperSU-v2.62-3-20151211162651.zip) to get root on my device.

Get TWRP recovery and ROOT

Step 0: enter to developer options (tap 7 times the build number) and select Allowing USB debubbing and Allow OEM unlock options

Step 1: install TWRP 2.8.7-r7 entering to bootloader mode

Turn off the device, press power and volume down and wait for two seconds. device will show bootloader mode in black screen, connect it to the pc through usb cable

Step 2: Paste twrp2.8.7-r7.img file into folder \Android\sdk\platform-tools and rename it to recovery.img (this requires previously installed Android SDK Tools, but you can do the same with MinimalADB

open cmd in windows, navigate to the platform-tools folder location and write this line:

Code:
    fastboot boot recovery.img
    Wait until ok message appears in cmd

TWRP will appear, and press reboot System. Enter bootloader mode again and type in CMD the following:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Wait until ok message appears in cmd. After that, press in bootloader mode the recovery option, you will enter to twrp and now new recovery becomes permanent, press Reboot system.

Step 3: copy BETA-SuperSU-v2.62-3-20151211162651.zip file into the device and after that, disconnect it from usb

Step 4: turn off the device, enter bootloader mode as stated in step 1, and select the recovery option with the volume up and down , press power button to enter to recovery and twrp will appear instead of original recovery.

Step 5: in twrp press install, select location of the Beta SuperSu File, select beta Super SU zip file and allow installation swipping to the right side and wait until it finish.

Step 5.1: after flash Super SU, wipe dalvik and cache through twrp, pressing the wipe dalvik/cache button located in left side.

Step 6: in twrp press button reboot now.
    Wait a little while android rebuild the cache.
    The device will enter to the home screen. check that super su app is installed

yBcVLRM.png

Note: if twrp offers to you install SuperSu dont let it. That causes a bug.

Step 7: Install Root checker and check if you are root.

inJL01K.png

Thats all folks!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus 1 - If something goes wrong you can reinstall Stock as described in this repair guides. Check here the firmware and here the reinstall instructions

Plus 2 - How to delete the Motorola annoying unlock bootloader message:

Step 0: connect the device to the pc, copy unlocked_logo.zip file into the device and after that, disconnect from usb

Step 1:
    Turn off the device, press power and volume down and wait for two seconds. device will show bootloader mode in black screen

Step 2: In bootloader mode select with the volume up and down the recovery option, press power button to enter and twrp will appear

Step 3: in twrp press install, select location of the unlocked_logo.zip File, select that file and allow installation swipping to the right

Step 4: in twrp press reboot now. The device will boot without nagging window.

[emoji2] detailed!!! Ty

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Instead of quoting the whole first post to say "Ty", just click the Like or Thanks button on the post... It is better for the OP and keeps the rest of us from having to scroll through the whole post.

I found an updated supersu around: BETA-SuperSU-v2.66-20160103015024.zip, is it better to use this or the original older one, BETA-SuperSU-v2.62-3-20151211162651.zip?

Thanks!

You can install any recent version, but before flashing the zip you need to enter in TWRP terminal this "echo SYSTEMLESS=true>>/data/.supersu". This force the systemless installation, the only one that works in stock MM.
    Suggestions please. I'm missing something simple here.

XT 1541 brand new. Marshmallow 6.
    Unlocked but still with annoying ' Warning Bootloader Unlocked ' warning screen.

I've installed on W7, via minimal adb & fastboot, twrp-osprey-3.0.2-r1.img. Recovery seems to work just fine......but....

When I install ANY of these SuperSU images

- UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    - UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip
    - BETA-SuperSU-v2.74-2-20160519174328.zip

Tried Data Wipe\No Data Wipe. Makes no difference with TWRP before Reboot.

The device appears to become soft-bricked and sticks at the ' Warning Bootloader Unlocked' screen.

I've reinstalled stock firmware XT1541_OSPREY_RETEU_6.0_MPI24.65-33.1_cid7_subsidy-DEFAULT_CFC__v2.xml.zip .....twice.

Loosing the will to live. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong please ?

Thank you

Muppet The Wonder Dog

(None of my Samsungs were this tricksy.)
    In the TWRP terminal enter:

echo SYSTEMLESS=true>>/data/.supersu

Then flash current SuperSU zip. SuperSU doesn't always recognize it needs to use systemless, this forces it.