[Root] How to root Phoenix OS without replacing system.img

Search This thread

Camlin3

Jun 28, 2016
This rooting method works without needing the other files inside those directories. As far as I know, SuperSU will download the rest of the binaries that it needs :)
I don't think supersu binary needs any binary except modding app_process to allow its daemon to be run at system level and gain shell access .may be it need an extra init script and library for patching selinux policy for successfully starting its daemon right from very beginning of boot.

Last edited:

meanhacker

Aug 21, 2012
I don't think supersu binary needs any binary except modding app_process to allow its daemon to be run at system level and gain shell access .may be it need an extra init script and library for patching selinux policy for successfully starting its daemon right from very beginning of boot.
Seems like you know more about this process than I do :) Thanks for the clarification :good:

Pablo Sevilla

Jan 27, 2015
Hey, it does not work for me! I have Phoenix 2.5.0 dual booted with ubuntu and when I type the second command, mv su su.orig, the following error message appears:

mv: bad 'su': Read-only file system

Please help! I can't use the replacing sys image method either cause I cannot find it anywhere online. Thank you in advance!!:good::fingers-crossed:

meanhacker

Aug 21, 2012
Hey, it does not work for me! I have Phoenix 2.5.0 dual booted with ubuntu and when I type the second command, mv su su.orig, the following error message appears:

mv: bad 'su': Read-only file system

Please help! I can't use the replacing sys image method either cause I cannot find it anywhere online. Thank you in advance!!:good::fingers-crossed:
Hi, are you trying to root on a clean install? What modifications have you applied to POS? It sounds like your system partition is read-only. You should try to remount it as read-write. I'm not sure what the proper way is, but a quick Google search gave me this result:
Code:
su mount -o remount, rw /system
If that doesn't work, try sudo instead of su. I don't remember the exact syntax, so you're going to have to play around with it for a bit. Also, try asking in the Discord server for help.

Pablo Sevilla

Jan 27, 2015
Hi, are you trying to root on a clean install? What modifications have you applied to POS? It sounds like your system partition is read-only. You should try to remount it as read-write. I'm not sure what the proper way is, but a quick Google search gave me this result:
Code:
su mount -o remount, rw /system
If that doesn't work, try sudo instead of su. I don't remember the exact syntax, so you're going to have to play around with it for a bit. Also, try asking in the Discord server for help.

First of all thank you for your help! It does not work.. No description whatsoever comes out when I use that code to change it to read and write. When i used sudo instead it outputs sudo: not found.

I have just reinstalled Phoenix 2.5 x64 and tried again but the problem persists. I have used this tutorial about dual-booting Ubuntu alongside with Phoenix. Perhaps that's why I am special and have a read-only file system but how can I change that?

Here's the tutorial I used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTGjDb_FhJk (I used the newest Phoenix 2.5 x64 ISO)

Thanks a lot for your help. What is the Discord server's website so I can ask them too perhaps?

Last edited:

Shironomia

Sep 29, 2016
Works on Acer Spin 1 (SP111-31) with PhoenixOS 2.5.0 64bit.
However, I had to install the SuperSU app (superuser.apk) first, enable AutoRun for it so that it can run in the background, and only then go into the terminal and do the steps in there.

andaleeb

Aug 31, 2016
Dubai
Redmi K20 Pro
Su doesn't install.

Hey guys, recently a member from Discord channel (ikkun) showed me steps on how to root Phoenix OS by just placing the su binary in the system folder. This method is so much easier and convenient than replacing the system.img, that it should be the main way to root your Phoenix OS installation.

Advantages:
  • No need to wait to download and extract a 500MB system.img. Instead, download a 5MB .zip file
  • No need to do a fresh install. You can root an existing installation without removing all your data.
  • Play store and Google Calendar sync work

Tested and works with:

Instructions:
  1. Download and extract the .zip file. For the purposes of the tutorial, I'm going to assume that you extract it in the Download folder and rename the SuperSU folder to su. Inside su, you should see META-INF, x64, x86, etc folders.
    2knK279l.jpg
  2. Open the terminal by pressing Alt+F1
  3. If you have Phoenix OS 32-bit, type in these commands:
    Code:
    cd /system/xbin
    mv su su.orig
    cp /sdcard/Download/su/x86/[B]su.pie[/B] su
    chmod 4751 su
    su --install
    su --daemon
  4. If you have Phoenix OS 64-bit, type in these commands:
    Code:
    cd /system/xbin
    mv su su.orig
    cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/[B]su[/B] .
    chmod 4751 su
    su --install
    su --daemon
    This screenshot is for 64-bit:
    fkXPcdHl.jpg
  5. Close the console by pressing Alt+F7. (If you have trouble exiting the console, post below with your Phoenix OS version and architecture. Then, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7)
  6. Phoenix OS might crash and restart. Using the File Manager, go to the Download folder. Navigate to su>common> and install Superuser.apk
  7. Launch SuperSU app from the app drawer. Press Continue, then select Normal to update the binary normally. Exit out of the app after the update is successful.
  8. Launch Security app from the app drawer. Click AutoRun.
    gUlO71Gl.jpg
  9. Toggle SuperSU to enable it so that it can automatically run when other apps request Superuser access. Exit out of the app.
    5QLMjvAl.jpg

History:
  • Added screenshots. Removed unnecessary steps. Fixed grammar mistakes.

These instructions were posted in the Phoenix OS Discord Server by ikkun. Thanks to Chainfire for SuperSU.
Instructions ported from tutorial Installing SuperSU on Remix OS 2.0
Attached zip file in case their website is down.
Did everything as stated on v 1.5.0 just the last process where i have to install apk, it just fails. What could be the reason?

Last edited by a moderator:

meanhacker

Aug 21, 2012
Thats what i did, but its got nothing to do with the method. I just installed this os and was trying to root. Found out it wont let me install any apk. App not installed error. Trying to ind a way aound that.
Well that's weird, tell me more about your setup and how you installed your OS

andaleeb

Aug 31, 2016
Dubai
Redmi K20 Pro
Well that's weird, tell me more about your setup and how you installed your OS

Official website, used their installer. Google play doesn't work and when i try to install apk i get that error. Most solutions seem useless so far.

---------- Post added at 08:30 ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 ----------

Btw while trying to figure out things i noticed theres an easier way to do it lol. Just get into developer options and enable root access then install supersu.

wanb1i

Aug 17, 2010
Charlottesville, VA Area
Official website, used their installer. Google play doesn't work and when i try to install apk i get that error. Most solutions seem useless so far.

---------- Post added at 08:30 ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 ----------

Btw while trying to figure out things i noticed theres an easier way to do it lol. Just get into developer options and enable root access then install supersu.

I'm having the same issues (installed thru win10 on MacMini). My Developer Mode doesn't have that switch for Root.:eek:

andaleeb

Aug 31, 2016
Dubai
Redmi K20 Pro
I'm having the same issues (installed thru win10 on MacMini). My Developer Mode doesn't have that switch for Root.:eek:

My problem was fixed. Just uninstall the os. The file must be corrupted when you downloaded it. I used their installer that suggested right version and downladed it which caused this error. Then i uninstalled it and downloaded the installer for the specific version from the website then rooted it using this method.

Reactions: wanb1i

wanb1i

Aug 17, 2010
Charlottesville, VA Area
Ok, so noob here when it comes to Android commands. I cannot get the terminal to give me the'#'. I can only get the '$', so I don't have the needed permision/rights to do anything in the "system" folder. I've tried every command I could find on the web, but they all assume the device is already rooted.
Any help would be appriecated! :eek:
HTML:

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

That didn't work for me, I've installed several diferent versions and I cannot get any "Google" apps to install. I believe it is related to updating Googe Play Services, but I can't get it to update either!
First of all thank you for your help! It does not work.. No description whatsoever comes out when I use that code to change it to read and write. When i used sudo instead it outputs sudo: not found.

I have just reinstalled Phoenix 2.5 x64 and tried again but the problem persists. I have used this tutorial about dual-booting Ubuntu alongside with Phoenix. Perhaps that's why I am special and have a read-only file system but how can I change that?

Here's the tutorial I used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTGjDb_FhJk (I used the newest Phoenix 2.5 x64 ISO)

Thanks a lot for your help. What is the Discord server's website so I can ask them too perhaps?

I have exact same problem, HP Specra x360, dual boot with windows. I cannot get to the '#' only the '$', so no permissions, that's what I think anyway. No idea how to get the # to come up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, recently a member from Discord channel (ikkun) showed me steps on how to root Phoenix OS by just placing the su binary in the system folder. This method is so much easier and convenient than replacing the system.img, that it should be the main way to root your Phoenix OS installation.

Advantages:
    • No need to wait to download and extract a 500MB system.img. Instead, download a 5MB .zip file
    • No need to do a fresh install. You can root an existing installation without removing all your data.
    • Play store and Google Calendar sync work

Tested and works with:

Instructions:
    1. Download and extract the .zip file. For the purposes of the tutorial, I'm going to assume that you extract it in the Download folder and rename the SuperSU folder to su. Inside su, you should see META-INF, x64, x86, etc folders.
      2knK279l.jpg
    2. Open the terminal by pressing Alt+F1
    3. If you have Phoenix OS 32-bit, type in these commands:
      Code:
      cd /system/xbin
      mv su su.orig
      cp /sdcard/Download/su/x86/[B]su.pie[/B] su
      chmod 4751 su
      su --install
      su --daemon
    4. If you have Phoenix OS 64-bit, type in these commands:
      Code:
      cd /system/xbin
      mv su su.orig
      cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/[B]su[/B] [B].[/B]
      chmod 4751 su
      su --install
      su --daemon
      This screenshot is for 64-bit:
      fkXPcdHl.jpg

Note 1:
      If after typing in the mv su su.orig command, you get an error saying:
      mv: rename su to su.orig: No such file or directory
      That means your Phoenix OS installation does not come with the su binary. Skip the mv command and proceed to the next step since there is nothing to make a backup of.
      I usually install my Phoenix OS using the .exe installer and always see the su file in that folder during the rooting process so I never see this error. It was never clear to me why people are missing the su binary, but my observations tell me it could be because people are installing it using the ISO file or using 32-bit. I never had the opportunity to test this out, but if you have this error, please post your Phoenix OS version, architecture, and installation method.

Note 2:
      Make sure you type in the commands exactly as provided. I saw other people were having trouble because they typed in the command incorrectly; they were missing a period after a space. It should be with a period and a space after the command (if you're rooting x64):
      Code:
      cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/su [B].[/B]
      and not:
      Code:
      cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/su
      The dot simply tells the cp command to place the file in the working directory (which was set earlier by the cd /system/xbin command). Alternatively, you can replace the dot with the current directory, the new command being:
      Code:
      cp /sdcard/Download/su/x64/su /system/xbin
      It's just easier to type a dot then type out the whole directory, especially considering the fact that you can't copy-paste in the terminal (as far as I know, could be wrong)

5. Close the console by pressing Alt+F7. (If you have trouble exiting the console, post below with your Phoenix OS version and architecture. Then, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7)
    6. Phoenix OS might crash and restart. Using the File Manager, go to the Download folder. Navigate to su>common> and install Superuser.apk
    7. Launch SuperSU app from the app drawer. Press Continue, then select Normal to update the binary normally. Exit out of the app after the update is successful.
    8. Launch Security app from the app drawer. Click AutoRun.
      gUlO71Gl.jpg
    9. Toggle SuperSU to enable it so that it can automatically run when other apps request Superuser access. Exit out of the app.
      5QLMjvAl.jpg

History:
    • Added notes for common errors people were having
    • Added another keystroke to exit console (Ctrl+Alt+F7)
    • Added screenshots. Removed unnecessary steps. Fixed grammar mistakes.

These instructions were posted in the Phoenix OS Discord Server by ikkun. Thanks to Chainfire for SuperSU.
    Instructions ported from tutorial Installing SuperSU on Remix OS 2.0
    Attached zip file in case their website is down.

Verified that this method does work on Phoenix 2.5 64 bit. Play store and play services are fully functional and operating normally. My machine is a Dell Inspiron 15-5568 2-in-1 with skylake i3. Great work by @meanhacker and ikkun over on discord.
    when I type the 2nd command, mv su su.orig it says no such file, what am i doing wrong ?

Im single OS booting and the files are as you laid out, but in the Download folder from within Phoenix OS
    It sounds like you're not in the right folder. What Phoenix OS version do you have and what processor architecture? (32/64-bit) are you sure you're running the first command correctly (cd /system/xbin)? In the terminal, type in pwd and press enter. Post the output here. It should say /system/xbin. If not, use the command cd /system/xbin. If that doesn't work, type in ls -a and post the output here. Can you find su in that list of files? If so, all we're trying to do is make a backup of it before replacing it with the one we downloaded from Chainfire
    Thanks for all of your help, all the commands went in ok this time, however a little problem, ALT+F7 isnt working to close down terminal, so I have to force restart, then once its back up and running, continuing with the instructions to install super SU says not root found.
    I don't remember off the top of my head, but try Ctrl+Alt+F7. Also, try other numbers for the F (Function) keys. If superuser doesn't work for you, go into the Security app and enable SuperUser for AutoRun.
    confirmed it WORK on
    Asus eeePC B202
    Intel Atom N270 - 2GB RAM
    Phoenix OS 2.2.1 32bit
    with modify su.pie folder location in to "/storage/emulated/0/Download/su/x86/"