[ROOT] HOWTO: AT&T H910 up to v20g (FULLY TESTED)

Aug 15, 2011
I'mma ask what version of windows? I did mine on 8.1.... did you run it as administrator?(usually anything firmware related everything should run as admin).... without the phone connected it should say waiting for device.... possibly do the command from inside the folder containing ADB; maybe you have another copy floating somewhere that has priority? ..... sidenote I believe I'm using what came with SkipSoft Unified Android Toolkit so might try installing that???
Here's some extra detail:
- Windows 10/Linux Mint 20
- Ran as admin
- It did say <waiting for device> when no device was connected
- All command lines were mapped to the root folder
- I'm not sure about another copy with priority, but after I rebooted both computers with nothing else running, I still got this issue
- For Windows i'm using the 15 second installer, which other people in this forum said worked to fix this problem, so I don't think that's the issue

I appreciate your help very much!

Reactions: plasmar

plasmar

May 21, 2007
Here's some extra detail:
- Windows 10/Linux Mint 20
- Ran as admin
- It did say <waiting for device> when no device was connected
- All command lines were mapped to the root folder
- I'm not sure about another copy with priority, but after I rebooted both computers with nothing else running, I still got this issue
- For Windows i'm using the 15 second installer, which other people in this forum said worked to fix this problem, so I don't think that's the issue

I appreciate your help very much!

does it do anything at all? like do you believe it's actually detecting the phone? can probably try "adb devices" see if the phone shows up...... also try putting stuff in a different directory; possibly the root of the host drive C:\(thinking you did)..... make sure no folders have any spaces in the names, sometimes that will mess things up with batch files/etc.... make sure debug mode is enabled/etc; try a diff usb cable(if it shows up in adb devices than it might be ok)

Reactions: LightSwitchTTM
Aug 15, 2011
does it do anything at all? like do you believe it's actually detecting the phone? can probably try "adb devices" see if the phone shows up...... also try putting stuff in a different directory; possibly the root of the host drive C:\(thinking you did)..... make sure no folders have any spaces in the names, sometimes that will mess things up with batch files/etc.... make sure debug mode is enabled/etc; try a diff usb cable(if it shows up in adb devices than it might be ok)
- "adb devices" shows the device as online. I was able to install terminal emulator on it just fine.
- The "adb" files are in the root of the host drive (C:\adb)
- The folders don't have spaces in the names
- USB debugging and OEM unlock are enabled
- The USB cable is functional

Even if all of these are okay, I appreciate you going through the troubleshooting process with me. We will get to the root of the situation eventually!

Aug 15, 2011
Okay, so the previous issue was resolved. Installing adb from the 15-second installer was insufficient: I had to install it via Clockworkmod for the logcat command to function properly. I successfully installed TWRP version 3.0.2-1, as was included in the root_pkg, and then installed the H91010r ROM.

Now, I have a new "issue". I attempted to install the latest version of LineageOS with microG, and I was given TWRP error 7. Naturally, I attempted to install the newest TWRP version to try to remedy this issue. However, flashing it and rebooting into recovery either led to green error screen or back to fastboot. I re-executed STEP3.bat, and reverted back to version 3.0.2-1, which worked. I tried the latest US996 TWRP variant, as redoing STEP3.bat led to fastboot recognizing the device as the US996. Once again, green screen error. It seems that version 3.0.2-1 is the only one that works, and I'm not sure why that is.

I assume that it has something to do with the "boot" file referenced in STEP3.bat. I suspect that, with my little knowledge/experience, that there is some configuration with that file that is meant to work with the version included, but not anything else. If i knew more information about Android development I probably could remedy this issue myself, but alas, I do not. If anyone has any more information about this, I'd be happy to read

EDIT: Perhaps even, since it was the H915 KDZ that was flashed in the first step with LG UP, I need to use H915 software with the device?

Last edited:

plasmar

May 21, 2007
Okay, so the previous issue was resolved. Installing adb from the 15-second installer was insufficient: I had to install it via Clockworkmod for the logcat command to function properly. I successfully installed TWRP version 3.0.2-1, as was included in the root_pkg, and then installed the H91010r ROM.

Now, I have a new "issue". I attempted to install the latest version of LineageOS with microG, and I was given TWRP error 7. Naturally, I attempted to install the newest TWRP version to try to remedy this issue. However, flashing it and rebooting into recovery either led to green error screen or back to fastboot. I re-executed STEP3.bat, and reverted back to version 3.0.2-1, which worked. I tried the latest US996 TWRP variant, as redoing STEP3.bat led to fastboot recognizing the device as the US996. Once again, green screen error. It seems that version 3.0.2-1 is the only one that works, and I'm not sure why that is.

I assume that it has something to do with the "boot" file referenced in STEP3.bat. I suspect that, with my little knowledge/experience, that there is some configuration with that file that is meant to work with the version included, but not anything else. If i knew more information about Android development I probably could remedy this issue myself, but alas, I do not. If anyone has any more information about this, I'd be happy to read

EDIT: Perhaps even, since it was the H915 KDZ that was flashed in the first step with LG UP, I need to use H915 software with the device?
make sure you wipe prior to flashing whatever new rom(lineage or whatever)..... advance wipe and select everything but micro sd card, and usb otg..... than swipe factory reset.... format data... install the rom, reflash twrp through twrp to recovery prior to rebooting so that you don't lose twrp(most the roms replace it with either stock or other it seems)...... some roms take a long long time to boot the first time, or show up glitchy looking bootscreens or similar(apparently normal)... feel free to wipe Dalvik/ART Cache and cache at any point; it will delay booting a bit but may resolve some issues sometimes.... side note: depending on what version of lg v20 you have knowing if the bootloader is unlocked or not isn't the most apparently thing in the world; seems that the bootloader flashed is a dev bootloader that is unlocked by default vs where on h918 for instance I think people are actually unlocking the existing bootloader...... all in all the quirkiness of this thing I think causes a lot of confusion if you're coming from any other devices like myself(samsung, older sony and htc)

Last edited:
Reactions: LightSwitchTTM

MaverickNextDoor

Oct 28, 2016
Warri
Hello, everyone.

Will following this root guide (and flashing a custom ROM like Lineage) unlock 3G and 4G?

I just got a H910 and can only utilize 2G (calls, sms, rudimentary data) as there are no options to select network type. Also, when I tapped on the network configuration sms automatically sent by my network on inserting the sim, a page popped up telling me I have 3 attempts to enter pin :oops:. I included a combined screenshot below. So I currently don't have 3G and 4G.

(Please, note I don't live in the US, so I'm not using an ATT sim).

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

chicagonyc

May 10, 2015
UPDATE: I needed to install LG's Mobile USB drivers first (instructions don't mention this!). Now it recognizes my phone and I'm currently dumping.

Hello everyone,

The software version is H91020h. When the phone boots it shows an unlocked icon. I want to install LineageOS 17.1

I downloaded the files in the first post, but I am getting stuck on installing LGUP. I unzipped and put it into the proper folder, but when I click on LGUP (there was no "installer"), it tells me I am missing a LG USB driver installation. I tried starting as Administrator and that didn't help.

Any ideas?

View attachment 5184199

Last edited:

chicagonyc

May 10, 2015
The v20-root.zip file has a Trojan ( "Trojan:Win32/Sehyioa.A!cl" according to Windows Defender). Did you get that?

I just used this guide to unlock my H910 running 20h. The hardest part was finding a windows machine to run LGUP on. I'm all linux these days.

The links to the dirtysanta root package and the v10r image seem to be broken. I used the root package from this thread.

After unlocking the bootloader and installing TWRP I flashed Lineageos 17.1 which seems to be working well.

Thanks!

plasmar

May 21, 2007
** uploaded it cause half the time when I'm trying to root/mod an old phone half the files are missing or no longer available cause no one cared to re-upload:p....... bought another H910 in near mint condition, rooted it fine, had great signal and today "No Service"; can't win can I...... worse case I'll swap the board but going to try to flash back the whole phone using the original dump; I am a bit confused though

Last edited:

chicagonyc

May 10, 2015
Ok I got almost all the way, but I think I bricked my phone. The 1st command prompt window seemed frozen where I would enter STEP2.BAT, so I opened a 3rd command prompt window and proceeded there (stupid, I know). Everything appeared to work, and FASTBOOT came up on the phone and everything. Rebooting, though, put this on the screen.

v20 crazy boot screen (Phone).jpg

And then this crash screen:

v20 crash screen (Phone).jpg

Anything to do to save the phone?

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Ok I got almost all the way, but I think I bricked my phone. The 1st command prompt window seemed frozen where I would enter STEP2.BAT, so I opened a 3rd command prompt window and proceeded there (stupid, I know). Everything appeared to work, and FASTBOOT came up on the phone and everything. Rebooting, though, put this on the screen.

View attachment 5186687

And then this crash screen:

View attachment 5186685

Anything to do to save the phone?
The static screen is normal if you did'nt flash the kernel
just turn the screen off and back on and it fixes it.

the crash dump is also normal, you can't just do half the steps do the complete process and all will be ok

EmiNVS

Mar 27, 2020
After flashing H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz the phone boots to a secure start-up, i had it enabled, but my password doesnt work, however it does restarts the tries. ¿Any idea in how fix it or what the password could be?

Edit:

It was solved by performing a factory reset, the phone is now rooted, i get the error MM #6 and the imei is 0, don't know how to fix that.

Last edited:

DonVasaschi

Sep 8, 2013
Going to try my luck at this. Wish me luck, my goal is to get the official Lineage 17.1 working on my fully stocked locked bootloader LG V20 phone (Oreo 8.0.0 sept 1, 2018 (H91020h). I have downloaded the requiered files along with some possible helpful additional files (adb setup 1.4.2, h910_root_pgk, h910- 10r, H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz, LG V20 root package 6.0, LGUP &V20dll_Patched, lineage OS versions 15.1 to 17.1, lineage 17.1 recovery (20210121 (h910)), open gapps arm64 10.0 micro 20210123, permissiver_v5, superv20 prerequisites-h918 and v20-root). Please inform me if I am missing any files before i start the process even though I had gone through the entire thread twice, it would be good to know beforehand if I will be wasting my time. I intend to follow the instructions at the beginning of the thread hopefully on point. If anyone want to give me any guidance i'm all open.
I will return to share how the process went (good or bad).

PS: Is it absolutely neccesary to install the previous lineage oses before installing the official 17.1 or can I immediately flash lineage 17.1 and gapps after, if I have successfully completed the upgrade???

DonVasaschi

Sep 8, 2013
Going to try my luck at this. Wish me luck, my goal is to get the official Lineage 17.1 working on my fully stocked locked bootloader LG V20 phone (Oreo 8.0.0 sept 1, 2018 (H91020h). I have downloaded the requiered files along with some possible helpful additional files (adb setup 1.4.2, h910_root_pgk, h910- 10r, H91510e_00_VTR_CA_OP_1205.kdz, LG V20 root package 6.0, LGUP &V20dll_Patched, lineage OS versions 15.1 to 17.1, lineage 17.1 recovery (20210121 (h910)), open gapps arm64 10.0 micro 20210123, permissiver_v5, superv20 prerequisites-h918 and v20-root). Please inform me if I am missing any files before i start the process even though I had gone through the entire thread twice, it would be good to know beforehand if I will be wasting my time. I intend to follow the instructions at the beginning of the thread hopefully on point. If anyone want to give me any guidance i'm all open.
I will return to share how the process went (good or bad).

PS: Is it absolutely neccesary to install the previous lineage oses before installing the official 17.1 or can I immediately flash lineage 17.1 and gapps after, if I have successfully completed the upgrade???
So I have returned with positive news. I have followed the steps precisely and it went well. So my next step now is to install Lineage 17.1. I will try flashing it from inside twrp along with gapps micro. I will test the fingerprint to see if it works and report back.

DonVasaschi

Sep 8, 2013
So I have returned with positive news. I have followed the steps precisely and it went well. So my next step now is to install Lineage 17.1. I will try flashing it from inside twrp along with gapps micro. I will test the fingerprint to see if it works and report back.
Returning to say I am now on Lineage 17.1 official with working fingerprint. Kinda sucks that the secondary display isn't used up much. but i'll give it some time.