Search This thread

dranzer006

Jan 14, 2012
kolhapur
Google Pixel 3
This is a short guide on rooting for thous who are new to this stuff

Steps:
1: download adb platform tools from here
2: Unlock bootloader. follow the guide on htcdev.
make sure you have htc drivers installed so that you can use oem command in fastboot mode for unlocking
3: Download TWRP
4: Download SuperSU and copy it to your phone's internal memory
5: Enable USB debugging and type "adb reboot-bootloader" from pc
6: Type: "fastboot boot twrp-3.1.1-0-alpine.img"
make sure you have twrp image in same folder as adb.
7: Wait for sometime you will boot into twrp recovery from there select install and select the SuperSU zip file
8: reboot and check for root

Links:
http://www.supersu.com/download
https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

Last edited:

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
has anybody tried this? I'm a bit scared to be the first one

You should make sure you get a pristine backup at hand, or a RUU appropriate to your device. Otherwise you'll never be able toreturn to a full stock system.

On the U11 it is possible to boot TWRP from fastboot, without flashing it and thus without touching stock recovery. That way I've been able to flash Magisk what's coming with MagiskSU and the possibility to use some Modules. And all without altering the system or replacing stock recovery in the first place.

Sent from my HTC U11 using XDA Labs

Reactions: NesteaZen

NesteaZen

Nov 16, 2014
You should make sure you get a pristine backup at hand, or a RUU appropriate to your device. Otherwise you'll never be able toreturn to a full stock system.
for anyone asking themselves how to backup
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53767160&postcount=2
or https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53770286&postcount=4
or is there a different way these days? @5m4r7ph0n36uru

BerndM14 said:
Connect phone to PC, boot into bootloader mode and type fastboot boot name_of_recovery.img that'll just boot the custom recovery as opposed to flashing it, that way you can make a nandroid backup of all partitions including stock recovery.

an0ther said:
The guys method of using recovery to backup recovery will only work on Philz… Not twrp as it does not always backup stock recovery properly. The proper way to backup stock recovery is..
1. Root your phone, which can be done by towel root or by just booting a recovery like he said,
fastboot boot twrporwhatever.img, then flash supersu
2. Boot phone that has stock recovery
3. adb shell
4. su "watch your phone to grant root adb access if you haven't ever done it"
5. dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p43 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
6. This will put flashable recovery.img on your internal sd card. Copy this and save it for later
7. "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" will get you back to stock recovery, "fastboot flash recovery twrporwhatever.img" to flash custom recovery.

Last edited:

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
If possible and a TWRP recovery is available one should boot to bootloader and try if the command fastboot boot name_of_twrp.img works. Make sure to NOT grant r/w at first boot and leave it ro. Now you can perform a backup of stock recovery, boot and system image (not system partition!) to obtain a pristine backup.

All else will alter system partitions md5 and the backup won't be pristine any longer. Due to block based OTA policy introduced by Google you won't be able to OTA without a pristine system image.

WhiteBoysClub

Nov 7, 2017
I have two questions.

1. If I fastboot to TWPR will it stay (flash for good) or after disconnecting my phone it will be gone ?
2. Can I flash Magisk instead of SuperSU ?

ex71

Jul 2, 2012
Code:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
FAILED (remote: unknown command)

how i can solve it?

ex71

Jul 2, 2012
no "fastboot" (like a "one s", etc) on this phone. no fastboot usb

"fastboot" command work in "bootloader menu" and "download mode"
fastboot oem only in download mode

sklozgos

Apr 3, 2019
Hello. Please explain what I am doing wrong. I will download what is in points. I download this adb something, but it does not work. Nothing starts. Does not communicate with the phone. OCB. Could anyone write this guide so that he could understand and act?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a short guide on rooting for thous who are new to this stuff

Steps:
    1: download adb platform tools from here
    2: Unlock bootloader. follow the guide on htcdev.
    make sure you have htc drivers installed so that you can use oem command in fastboot mode for unlocking
    3: Download TWRP
    4: Download SuperSU and copy it to your phone's internal memory
    5: Enable USB debugging and type "adb reboot-bootloader" from pc
    6: Type: "fastboot boot twrp-3.1.1-0-alpine.img"
    make sure you have twrp image in same folder as adb.
    7: Wait for sometime you will boot into twrp recovery from there select install and select the SuperSU zip file
    8: reboot and check for root

Links:
    http://www.supersu.com/download
    https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

On the U11 it is possible to boot TWRP from fastboot, without flashing it and thus without touching stock recovery. That way I've been able to flash Magisk what's coming with MagiskSU and the possibility to use some Modules. And all without altering the system or replacing stock recovery in the first place.

Yes its working without flaws, i have tested it myself. also your not installing recovery this time your booting directly