[ROOT] HubCap Chromecast Root Release!

Search This thread

samteeee

My 1st gen CC (rooted/hubcap) out of the blue stopped working and all I can see on the
screen is this: "Chromecast...."! I've tried almost everything that I could think of including
flashing the rom again but at the last stage where it should boot up it gets stuck with red
led and the flashcast message informing you that something is wrong!
Any help is much appreciated.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
My 1st gen CC (rooted/hubcap) out of the blue stopped working and all I can see on the
screen is this: "Chromecast...."! I've tried almost everything that I could think of including
flashing the rom again but at the last stage where it should boot up it gets stuck with red
led and the flashcast message informing you that something is wrong!
Any help is much appreciated.
Were you on Flashcast AutoRoot? (If your Chromecast was on recent firmware, it was, as Eureka-ROM stopped updates many builds ago)
If so, check the last few pages of the Flashcast Autoroot thread

Reactions: samteeee

samteeee

Were you on Flashcast AutoRoot? (If your Chromecast was on recent firmware, it was, as Eureka-ROM stopped updates many builds ago)
If so, check the last few pages of the Flashcast Autoroot thread

Thank you for replying back.
I know and I remember I disabled the "auto-update" feature
through the Eureka Panel. I finally figured out my mistake
on Re-flashing the eureka image, I took out the word .zip
from the eureka image name and boom! flash went through
and I could set up the CC, all is well!

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
I want to try a lot this, but is it for Chromecast 2 devices?
No, this forum covers the original Google Chromecast 2012 version. Chromecast 2 was released long after the known root exploits were fixed, so any root exploit for Chromecast 2 would be different, though it might also apply to the original Chromecast, if/when a new one is found, if ever.

werelwolf

Jan 26, 2018
Chromecast on a Tablet

I've been searching the forum without much success, I want to install the Chromecast OS ( or in this case, HubCap) on a general cheap android tablet. Since Chromecast is similar in foundation, is this possible? I would like the tablet I get, like an 8" Chinese generic or anything, which already has wifi and a display, to be the display I can choose to cast to.

My further thoughts is that it makes a portable video frame I can use with my Google Home, but that's for my own further experimentation. I still haven't been able to find if HubCap on Chromecast still allows the Chromecast to be controllable from Google Home, though I would assume so.

Any directions I should look into? I would love it to be as easy as rooting the tablet device and installing a HubCap slip-streamed Chromecast package ( if any were to exist, even ) , but I have a feeling it's not that easy, despite Android seeming to be resilient as to the platform it is being installed on.

Ty

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
I've been searching the forum without much success, I want to install the Chromecast OS ( or in this case, HubCap) on a general cheap android tablet. Since Chromecast is similar in foundation, is this possible?
HubCap is just the root exploit, which doesn't work on modern Chromecast firmware.

Since Chromecast plays the content similar to how a tablet would, I don't see the advantage of using a tablet as a cast receiver. You already have the same player apps and can probably do even more just directly on the Android tablet instead of needing yet another device to control the tablet's playback.

werelwolf

Jan 26, 2018
HubCap is just the root exploit, which doesn't work on modern Chromecast firmware.

Since Chromecast plays the content similar to how a tablet would, I don't see the advantage of using a tablet as a cast receiver. You already have the same player apps and can probably do even more just directly on the Android tablet instead of needing yet another device to control the tablet's playback.

My purpose would be to have a bedside screen or kitchen helper, so I can with my Google Home, tell it to play or display X on kitchen TV.

Ty

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
My purpose would be to have a bedside screen or kitchen helper, so I can with my Google Home, tell it to play or display X on kitchen TV.
Okay, I see what you're trying to achieve.

There were some "turn my Android into a (Chrome)cast receiver" apps in the early Chromecast (2012) days, but I think they all died when the V2 API was released, since the V2 API validated that it was casting to an approved device.

Short of using a small display and an actual Chromecast, I can't thnk of anything that would provide what you want.

The Chromecast firmware wouldn't really help you since its hardware and firmware is very specific to its hardware and intended use.

werelwolf

Jan 26, 2018
Okay, I see what you're trying to achieve.

There were some "turn my Android into a (Chrome)cast receiver" apps in the early Chromecast (2012) days, but I think they all died when the V2 API was released, since the V2 API validated that it was casting to an approved device.

Short of using a small display and an actual Chromecast, I can't thnk of anything that would provide what you want.

The Chromecast firmware wouldn't really help you since its hardware and firmware is very specific to its hardware and intended use.

Thank you for your information about how it works. I certainly know that it is beyond my own capabilities to try to figure out how Google validates that with it's own property. Cheers! And maybe it will be figured out some day :)

Ty

osrox

Dec 18, 2014
The Official Android TV's have built-in chromecast.

I hope a talented Genius Android developer, could extract the apk (using Es explorer) & hack the apk, to make it work in other Android based TV's, it would be really great.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear XDA Users,

We’re happy to announce that fail0verflow, GTVHacker, and Team-Eureka have jointly discovered and exploited a new vulnerability in the Chromecast which allows root access on the current software build (17977) as well as new in box devices (proof).

Requirements

Instructions

1. Install the appropriate Teensy Root Package on your device.
      • If New In Box device, use 12940 otherwise use 16664.
      • Use plusplus_*.hex for 2++ model, regular_*.hex for 2 model
    2. Using Win32DiskImager or dd, install the Flashcast Image to the 1G+ Flashdrive.
    3. Plug in the Teensy to a USB OTG Cable, and plug it into the Chromecast while holding down the reset button.
      • The Teensy light should start flashing. If not, try the process again. After 30 seconds, it should go solid orange and the Chromecast LED sould turn white.
    4. Unplug the Teensy, then plug in the flashdrive loaded with Flashcast into the OTG cable, and then press the Chromecast button again.
      • If you used the 12940 image, the LED should turn white. If you used the 16664 image, the LED should stay dim red.
    5. After about 5 minutes, the Chromecast should reboot and your device should now be rooted!

Having Problems?

• “I am using a USB hub with a OTG cable, why is it not working?”
      • This root method requires a powered OTG cable and will not work over a USB hub. This is because the teensy needs to be directly connected to the Chromecast to work and can not go over a USB hub.
    • “How can I tell if the root is running?”
      • If the Chromecast is plugged into a TV, you should see a Flashcast message telling you your device is being rooted. If you do not see this message, unplug the Chromecast and try again.

Created By

@fail0verflow
    @gtvhacker
    @Dev_Team_Eureka

Shoutouts

Google Inc. - Thanks for the awesome device, now add fastboot support
    XDA-Developers - For being the home of Chromecast Development

Download

Exploit Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2K72qNv1_Q
    Download: http://download.gtvhacker.com/file/chromecast/HubCap.zip

Source:
    GitHub: https://github.com/axoltl/HubCap
    HEADS UP: Seems that google HAS PATCHED the HubCap exploit in the latest OTA (19084), but did not post the source for it (to keep us guessing?). Please avoid this OTA if you want root!
    I am running 17977 firmware. The micro is verified as a usb hub and has been flashed with the correct file.

So you're past step 2:
    1. Get all the needed hardware (compatible board & USB OTG cable with power).
    2. Get it flashed correctly with the right version hex file.
    3. Get the Chromecast to load the exploit payload.
    4. Load Eureka to the Chromecast from your flash drive.

Here's a hex file compiled for the Leonardo/Micro, firmware >= 16664. Give this a try. It shouldn't magically make things work, but it should let you know that you've got the timing right for step 3. The only tricky part I noted was getting the timing right on when to release the CC button. Too early, and it goes to blinking white. For me, what worked was releasing it just after the CC turned red, but it took a few minutes of trial & error.
    Brilliant -- working through the steps now!

One bit of missing hardware that may seem obvious: you'll need a USB-to-MiniUSB cable to program the Teensy. It doesn't ship with one and it wasn't shown in the video. I had a spare, so I'm in business and will edit my post once I'm able to successfully flash my Chromecast, but it may need to be put down on the required parts list. :D

UPDATE: worked like a charm!
    rooted.jpg

The rooted device was purchased from Amazon two days ago with Prime shipping. It's S/N begins 3C24***. I couldn't tell you how happy I am to have not missed root this time around. ;)

Thanks again for all your work, guys!