[ROOT] Install a full Linux distribution on Amazon HD 10?

Search This thread
Cross posting this from another thread I made. For those of you, who now have Root, I am wondering if any of you would be interested in installing a Linux Distribution alongside your Android OS...well Fire OS. I have tested this on 4 devices so far, one being the Amazon HD 8.9. Since the HD 10 just got root, I am interested to see how a Linux OS would work on Fire OS, if at all. This would be a fully operational installation of a Linux distribution that runs alongside of Android.

If you're concerned about bricking your tablet, don't worry, this is very, very low risk, and pretty much impossible to brick your device. It will either work, or it won't. It's that simple. Note you need at least 4GB free space of internal storage, or if you have an sdcard slot, you can partition part of it to install a Linux distribution (that will be part two of my guide). I believe this will be a success on these tablets because I've tested it on three vastly different Samsung devices, with success on all of them. Samsung customizes (butchers) the framework in much of the same fashion as Amazon. If it works on the Kindle 8.9, it should work equally as good, maybe even better on the HD 10.

Please see my long, but detailed XDA guide.

Its like running a VM. Is there a way to get a full install instead?

This is a 'full install.' you need the VNC if you want a graphical interface. You can also use a ssh client, but I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

If you want to replace android with Linux, it just isn't possible anymore. For now, this is about as good as you are going to get. I'm almost done with the second Guide. Perhaps that's more what you mean.

Last edited:

darksoul21

Jul 27, 2008
This is a 'full install.' you need the VNC if you want a graphical interface. You can also use a ssh client, but I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

If you want to replace android with Linux, it just isn't possible anymore. For now, this is about as good as you are going to get. I'm almost done with the second Guide. Perhaps that's more what you mean.

Its a Virtual Machine running on top of android. So your stuck with the available resources from the primary OS (android).

Its better than nothing since this device is basically dead on this Forum.

Its a Virtual Machine running on top of android. So your stuck with the available resources from the primary OS (android).

Its better than nothing since this device is basically dead on this Forum.

Not true. You can download apps and what not. You can do just about the same things as you could in a desktop with Linux. You have git, gcc, etc. But at the moment l, unless you have a Nexus, this is the best there is. The virtual aspect is unavoidable.

sturner83

Nov 12, 2008
Lexington, KY
Not true. You can download apps and what not. You can do just about the same things as you could in a desktop with Linux. You have git, gcc, etc. But at the moment l, unless you have a Nexus, this is the best there is. The virtual aspect is unavoidable.

You can do all that in a virtual machine. What he's saying is, since it's a vm, you only get access to system resources not in use by the host operating system. No complaints. Again, it's better than nothing if that kind of thing is what you're looking for.

You can do all that in a virtual machine. What he's saying is, since it's a vm, you only get access to system resources not in use by the host operating system. No complaints. Again, it's better than nothing if that kind of thing is what you're looking for.

Right. But you can interact with those resources. This has always been the only mass way to install Linux. There used to be a way, but I couldn't replicate it. Keep an eye on Ubuntu though.

I think native might require BL unlock but I'm not even close to an expert I will say that it whould be cool to port a ChromeOS varient chromium or cloudready even

I think, though I'll have to look, I had a Gentoo Android installation. I never tried it and not sure if I still have it. Supposedly it just needs installing into /data. I'll look for it and a link and post my findings a little later.

Sent from my Amazon KFSUWI using XDA Labs

cuvtixo

Jun 30, 2016
Double down on IDK

[/COLOR]
I think native might require BL unlock but I'm not even close to an expert I will say that it whould be cool to port a ChromeOS varient chromium or cloudready even
Not close to expert on Android on ARM myself, although I used to dumpster dive for 386 PCs when I discovered linux and 486s we're just coming out, and I was "stuck" with a 68k Mac. Bought the first bootable Linux CD back in the 90s (Debian), got Linux running on a DEC Alpha soon after, so I've been around the block. I don't see any reason at all to get linux on a Fire except as an academic challenge. ChromiumOS (and ChromeOS) are crippled Linux. Period. CloudReady is just Chrome tweaked for old x86 PCs. Linux itself would just give you some extra developer tools, maybe. Perhaps a pro might secretly do penetration testing with a Kindle that way, but it would be like trying to fish with firecrackers. Might as well get a RPi. Is there a particular app you want to run? I can see trying to break from Amazon's walled garden with an alt Android, but anything else and you might as well write your own OS. That's about the level of challenge you're talking about. Dragonfire1024- am I right? I don't mean to be harsh, just realistic. Personally, I'd rather spend time on development boards like the Pi, than reverse engineer a Fire to that extent.

Last edited:
[/COLOR]
Not close to expert on Android on ARM myself, although I used to dumpster dive for 386 PCs when I discovered linux and 486s we're just coming out, and I was "stuck" with a 68k Mac. Bought the first bootable Linux CD back in the 90s (Debian), got Linux running on a DEC Alpha soon after, so I've been around the block. I don't see any reason at all to get linux on a Fire except as an academic challenge. ChromiumOS (and ChromeOS) are crippled Linux. Period. CloudReady is just Chrome tweaked for old x86 PCs. Linux itself would just give you some extra developer tools, maybe. Perhaps a pro might secretly do penetration testing with a Kindle that way, but it would be like trying to fish with firecrackers. Might as well get a RPi. Is there a particular app you want to run? I can see trying to break from Amazon's walled garden with an alt Android, but anything else and you might as well write your own OS. That's about the level of challenge you're talking about. Dragonfire1024- am I right? I don't mean to be harsh, just realistic. Personally, I'd rather spend time on development boards like the Pi, than reverse engineer a Fire to that extent.

To each their own I guess. My goal is to at some point get nethunter to work in a better capacity than this guide. There's a lot more you can do with parts of Linux. For example, attempt to root other devices, build parts of or whole ROMs, etc.

Reactions: Wagner.B

ickybandit

Jul 9, 2018
Has there been any progress on this? I'm looking to use this as digital signage where there isn't space in a wall box for a RPi or similar SBC.

n3wt

Feb 24, 2013
sorry for posting this question here but it I've tried to find a better place and failed...what's the best option(s) for this thing if it hasn't been rooted already? I'm ready to just sell it and move on if I can't do something other than what Amazon intended.

Samperk1.0

Feb 3, 2020
Ubuntu touch on fire hd 8

I would love to put Ubuntu touch on my 8" fire has this been done and can I use ubports to do it and what works??

Reactions: Billion123

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cross posting this from another thread I made. For those of you, who now have Root, I am wondering if any of you would be interested in installing a Linux Distribution alongside your Android OS...well Fire OS. I have tested this on 4 devices so far, one being the Amazon HD 8.9. Since the HD 10 just got root, I am interested to see how a Linux OS would work on Fire OS, if at all. This would be a fully operational installation of a Linux distribution that runs alongside of Android.

If you're concerned about bricking your tablet, don't worry, this is very, very low risk, and pretty much impossible to brick your device. It will either work, or it won't. It's that simple. Note you need at least 4GB free space of internal storage, or if you have an sdcard slot, you can partition part of it to install a Linux distribution (that will be part two of my guide). I believe this will be a success on these tablets because I've tested it on three vastly different Samsung devices, with success on all of them. Samsung customizes (butchers) the framework in much of the same fashion as Amazon. If it works on the Kindle 8.9, it should work equally as good, maybe even better on the HD 10.

Please see my long, but detailed XDA guide.
    [/COLOR]

To each their own I guess. My goal is to at some point get nethunter to work in a better capacity than this guide. There's a lot more you can do with parts of Linux. For example, attempt to root other devices, build parts of or whole ROMs, etc.

Ubuntu touch on fire hd 8

I would love to put Ubuntu touch on my 8" fire has this been done and can I use ubports to do it and what works??