[Root][JB 4.2] Root your Nexus 7 without unlocking bootloader. (djrbliss motochopper)

Search This thread

YoramZa

Aug 25, 2012
I fail to run the script

See the screenshot.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 2013-07-22_235905.png
    2013-07-22_235905.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 549

kbocek

Jun 14, 2013
Yay I am rooted too !

I too ran into the driver issue and the motochopper script hanging at the "daemon started" stage. Tried kbocek's methof installing PDAnet but kept getting errors with the install. Luckily the error in turn directed me to junefabrics site. Followed the instructions to uninstall the default drivers, downloaded Asus driver, installed the driver from Device Manager and then ran run.bat. That was now I am Super.

Well PDANet was the solution for me and a few other users. But as long as you found a solution that's great.

Nebostic

Jul 25, 2013
Paris
www.balkantek.com
Solve MacOS X Nexus 7 rooting

I rooted my N7 with this very easily on Windows 8 but it is not working on Mac OS X. Do you remember the modifications you made on windows adb files?

Really 4 easy steps :

1. Download the SDK from developer.android.com / sdk /. Unzip it into a folder (doesn’t matter where, though if you want to keep it around, somewhere sane).
  2. Open Terminal and update your PATH variable by typing : export PATH=$PATH:/PATH/TO/YOUR/SDK/platform-tools where you'll find adb exec file
  3. edit run.sh and change adb="./adb.osx" to adb="adb"
  4. and execute ./run.sh

Enjoy :D

thomase00

Sep 25, 2012
My understanding is that after rooting with this method on 4.2.2, I still have stock recovery and a locked bootloader.

Does this mean that I can still use "adb sideload" to apply the zip OTA update for 4.3?

If so, will I lose root?

If not, can I unroot my device first (e.g. with SuperSU's "Full Unroot" feature), and then perform the update?

Last edited:

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
doesn't work

Yeah... this doesn't surprise me at all. Jellybean 4.3 is much more 'secure' then previous versions of Android.

So I suspected it probably wouldn't work... given Chainfire's comment here (in answer to a question)...

Quote:- "Because the new security features they [meaning Google] implemented are needed to guard against exploits."
~ Chainfire ~

...which covers not just malicious exploits (which is understandable), but intended root exploits... like this one.

I'm no expert on Root, but I wonder if 4.3 is also attempting to patch the Android Master Key Vulnerability exploit that was highlighted a few weeks back.

Incidentally, has anybody who has successfully updated to Jellybean 4.3 tried running the Bluebox Security Scanner... and if so, does it report that vulnerability as 'patched'.

In any case, Jellybean 4.3 seems to have broken root, and although Chainfire has a working solution it's not free of problems... cf. these posts, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053&page=308

Rgrds,
Ged.

[email protected]

May 15, 2013
Build not working

My build, JDQ39, is not working.

[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

It never goes any further, Nexus shows connected as a media device and USB debugging connected.

Any clue why it isn't working?

HandyAndyXDA

May 13, 2013
Hey there!
Just wanted to say thanks! I used this a few times on my first gen nexus 7. It saved me from having to lose all my stuff since you don't have to unlock the bootloader which wipes the data.

I just now flashed my nexus 7 to the latest stock rom which can be found here:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=fr-FR

I know that since I have a stock nexus device that I will probably get the update soon anyway, but I was in the process of doing a factory reset anyway just to clean up some things so I figured why not go for the latest image.

I know people have asked if this rooting method works with 4.2, 4.2.2 and so on.........I never had any doubt that it would make a difference, but I can confirm that it does work no problem with those Android versions and now I currently have 4.3 so I will post and let you know if it still works.

Thanks again for this,
HandyAndyXDA

UPDATE: This method sadly does not work :(........however I am not enjoying the performance in Chrome running 4.3, so I might just go back to 4.2.2 for now.
Just wondering, If I unlocked the bootloader and then used this method, would it work? I know it defeats the purpose of this method but I still prefer this method to root. It was so easy and great in the past until 4.3.

UPDATE AGAIN: This method does not work even when unlocking the bootloader first. Upon running command I get the following (some of what was outputted from command prompt):
pkg: /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
Success
[*] Rooting phone...
[+] This may take a few minutes.
[+] Success!
mount: Operation not permitted
sh: /system/xbin/busybox: not found
cp: /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system
[*] Cleaning up...
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/pwn, Permission denied
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/su, Permission denied
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/busybox, Permission denied
[*] Exploit complete. Press enter to reboot and exit.

Hope someone figures out how to get this to work again :(

Last edited:

kryogenik

Dec 17, 2007
Read his last paragraph again.
He's done the same as I just have.
Rooted (via this method) so he could install 4.3 without wiping.

Thanks to the OP and the source for this. Very quick and painless.
N7 with stock 4.2.2 - downloaded 4.3 to device, rooted, installed CWM and then 4.3.
Now back to stock again for now.
Marvelous.

Corvidd

Jun 28, 2010
I've just tried this method on 4.3; it didn't work. I've used it previously on 4.2.2 so I definitely have all the drivers etc.

If someone could get it working, that would be amazing. I really like the relative safety and speed of this method, without unlocking the bootloader.

Verrath

May 31, 2009
I've just tried this method on 4.3; it didn't work. I've used it previously on 4.2.2 so I definitely have all the drivers etc.

If someone could get it working, that would be amazing. I really like the relative safety and speed of this method, without unlocking the bootloader.

This. :)

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK

Indeed it would be amazing... and very useful... but as I've indicated in a previous post, 4.3 implements a new security model designed to protect itself from exploits (ostensibly of the malicious kind), so it's very unlikely this (motochopper) or any other exploit in the future will work.

If you want root on 4.3, you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way...

1) Unlock the bootloader with fastboot.
2) Fastboot flash a Custom Recovery (CWM or TWRP).
3) Using that recovery, flash Chainfire's modified SuperSU root updater.

Rgrds,
Ged.

kobkobb

Mar 12, 2013
well, it doesnt work now on a Nexus 4 too..
He does all the progress, but the SuperSU app is not reacting, and a RootChecker wont recognize the root aswell..
such a shame :p i loved this method.. i guess ill have to wipe my device this time :3

Corvidd

Jun 28, 2010
Looks like it. A shame, I'm new to rooting and I liked this very easy, non invasive method.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Indeed it would be amazing... and very useful... but as I've indicated in a previous post, 4.3 implements a new security model designed to protect itself from exploits (ostensibly of the malicious kind), so it's very unlikely this (motochopper) or any other exploit in the future will work.

Rgrds,
Ged.

OP updated to reflect this. If anyone finds a new root method for 4.3, I'll update this thread!

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk HD

duckeedoug

Mar 28, 2013
So my Nexus 7 has downloaded the OTA firmware before I realized that Google was doing a roll-out. The Nexus 7 want me to reboot and do the FW upgrade but I don't want to upgrade the tablet. Is there a way to prevent the upgrade? can I delete the downloaded OTA update or something? I would like to know before rebooting as I'm not sure if rebooting will just force the update. I have rooted the tablet but no other hacks have been performed on the device. I did a web search but did not see a in dept conversation on how to refuse the update once it has been downloaded onto the device

itsirfandude

Oct 2, 2012
Coimbatore
Ota update error

my nexus 7 3g got OTA update.....after downloading the device restarted..... while installing it showed me Error.....am still on 4.2.2........pls help me....is this because I didn't unroot the device.....if so help me to do so

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,
    I just rooted a nexus 7 using the motochopper toolkit made by djrbliss. He gets full credit for the method, I just modified it to work for the N7 by updating the adb files within it (tested on Win7 64-bit, N7 wifi). Oh, and if something breaks, it's not my fault :)

(original thread: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/t...id-root-exploit/page__pid__244281#entry244281)

Here's what you'll need:

Nexus 7 Drivers installed (try the universal naked drivers if you have issues with this. Search google if ADB/motochopper cannot see your device)
    (Android SDK is recommended if you need to troubleshoot the nexus connecting, but not necessary.)
    Developer options enabled, USB debugging enabled.
    The attached zip.

Steps:
    1. Download and unzip the folder within the attached file.
    2. Make sure USB debugging is enabled. When you plug the tablet into the computer, the status bar of the tablet should say "USB debugging connected". If it doesn't, see below.
    3. WITH YOUR SCREEN TURNED ON, run the appropriate script from the motochopper folder. (Run.bat for windows, I think run.sh for Mac and Linux).
    4. You may be prompted by the tablet to approve a connection by the computer (RSA key, etc.). Accept this!
    5. If all is fine and dandy here, it will see your device and start to push files to it. When it tries to push the SuperSU.apk, your tablet will ask you to Approve something for tracking apk's/apps installed over ADB. Click yes or accept.
    6. The script (on your computer) should prompt you to reboot. Hit any key and you should be rooted when it starts up!
    Note: if your computer isn't able to see the device, try setting the device to PTP from MTP. This seems to work for some.

Need to enable USB Debugging?
    1. Make sure you are in the main account.
    2. Go to settings, about, and scroll to the bottom.
    3. Tap on the "build number" entry 7 times.
    4. Exit out of the 'about' and go to Developer options.
    5. Check "USB debugging".

Since I do NOT have a nexus 7 of my own, I can't fully support this but I'll do my best. I thought it would be great to share this with the nexus community for anyone (like me) that doesn't want to unlock their device in order to root. Like I mentioned before, all credit goes to djrbliss.

Enjoy!

Edit: some people are asking why this is useful. If you want root, unlocking the bootloader to gain root erases your device. This method does not.

Edit 2: users report that it does not work on nexus 10 but does work on nexus 4.

Rgrds,
    Ged.

Update 3/2014. This method is outdated and no longer works for any current version of android (4.3+)
    Thank you so much for your replies still run windows xp will that still be ok to root with please.

Thank You
    :)

As a lowly user, I'm the wrong one to ask. As a Windows admin, I've got a bit more experience. The tools used here on the Windows side look pretty basic to me. If you can find the right USB driver and establish communications, I can't see why XP wouldn't be just fine. The USB driver has been the thing that has tripped me and several other users up. Get the right one for the right device. Just because Windows sees your device doesn't mean the root process will work. There's some other API involved.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Now that I've hit my 10 post count legitimately and no one can complain, I wanted to re-share some sources for USB drivers. Myself and several other users have been bitten using nhshah7's awesome modification when it hangs, apparently unable to communicate with our Nexus 7. In every case the problem has been a bad USB driver.

Myself and at least one other have solved this by installing PDANET+ which includes it's own USB drivers. Follow the instructions here:

How To Install Drivers For Any Android Device

And get PDANET here:

http://junefabrics.com/android/downloadold.php

But the drivers included didn't work for my older Galaxy Nexus. nhshah7 recommends using the USB drivers included in the full Android SDK. But if you hunt around, you can find lists of manufacturer USB drivers. A couple I found are:

http://www.teamandroid.com/download-android-usb-drivers

http://dottech.org/26188/usb-adb-and-fastboot-drivers-for-windows-for-all-android-phones/

Hope this helps the next person to get a hung batch file.
    Just had another tinker with this exploit...
    (I fastboot flashed back to stock, and relocked the bootloader beforehand).

...and I can confirm (again) that not only does it work... but you can reverse it really easily...

...by going to the app, SuperSU... and then SETTINGS>>FULL UNROOT.

Upon reboot, the device is fully unrooted.

--------

And as with the normal method of ROOTING, you can also backup your root (SU binary) using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper...

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper&hl=en

Upon (deliberate) loss of ROOT, I was able to restore ROOT, using this app.

Further, and with relative ease, I was also able to change over from Chainfire's ROOT to Koush's (the CWM guy) ROOT...

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.superuser&hl=en.

-------

I have thrown every ROOT app I can think of at it... and it just works.

(And unrooting works, as described earlier.)

And the beauty of it is... if you do loose ROOT (either by accident or design)... you can easily acquire it again, just by re-running the script.... and WITH NO LOSS OF DATA.

-------

Rooting doesn't get any easier than this...

I 'tip my hat' in appreciation and respect... in the general direction of nhshah7 for making this exploit available.

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    I have rooted Nexus with this method (very easy, THANKS!), but the idea (at least for me) for rooting was to use an external SDCARD or pen disk with an OTG cable connected to Nexus 7.

But this I can't do, I have used OI File Manager and Root Browser to explore pen disk but I can't see external SDCard with these apps.

Can someone explain me what I am doing wrong? Thanks

It could be a million and one things!
    Where are you looking for the external card? You know it's mounted under /sdcard yeah?
    Could be the cable you're using. Some don't work.
    Have you tried using StickMount?
    Hello, I am having trouble with this on my Nexus 7. I get the following in CMD and it seems to just be on a loop of trying.

[*] Pushing root tools...
    error: more than one device and emulator
    snip
    EDIT******* seems to be working now but oddly enough I just tried doing it with usb debugging disabled......yes with it off lol
    now it shows pushing exploit so stay tuned ill let you know how it goes.

UPDATE:
    [*] Waiting for device...
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    [*] Device found.
    [*] Pushing exploit...
    576 KB/s (1283460 bytes in 2.175s)
    [*] Pushing root tools...
    402 KB/s (91980 bytes in 0.223s)
    483 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 3.770s)
    535 KB/s (969701 bytes in 1.770s)

and im now left with a blinking cursor under that last line and waiting for something else to happen

Are you sure you didn't start an emulator when you installed the Android SDK? You might be trying to root an emulator! (That might explain why you apparently saw things happening with ADB turned off).

Anyway, you certainly should not be seeing messages such as this:

error: more than one device and emulator

manually running the command "adb devices" from a command window should show you only a single device listed - your N7.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone