[Root][JB 4.2] Root your Nexus 7 without unlocking bootloader. (djrbliss motochopper)

Search This thread

scsouders

Sep 12, 2011
Ok, I did try that once originally , a black box popped up saying daemon started on port ....., but seemed like it wasnt doing anything , how long generally does it take for this tool to complete ?
Thanks
Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Ok, I did try that once originally , a black box popped up saying daemon started on port ....., but seemed like it wasnt doing anything , how long generally does it take for this tool to complete ?
Thanks
Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Less than a minute. Do you have the correct drivers installed? If you have the android sdk installed we can do some troubleshooting there but I would first suggest you check device manager. If you see anything that says nexus with a yellow arrow next to it then you need the right drivers installed (see OP about naked drivers).

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

scsouders

Sep 12, 2011
Ok, I thought I had the correct drivers installed since windows 7 recognized the Nexus 7, I did find the yellow exclamation in device manager , updated the driver and now we are all good...thanks!!

Does this root program work on the HTC EVO LTE?

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Ok, I thought I had the correct drivers installed since windows 7 recognized the Nexus 7, I did find the yellow exclamation in device manager , updated the driver and now we are all good...thanks!!

Does this root program work on the HTC EVO LTE?

I'm not sure. It might, but if it has the newest JB rom with write protection on the kernel like the HTC One XL (ATT) has, then you may be out of luck. Try it, you won't hurt your phone if it doesn't work.

Glad this worked for you :)

Reactions: bmscott

ales007

Sep 28, 2009
Wow ,worked perfectly on my nexus 7 ,thank you so much :D ! but i had to change the storage from MTP to PTP ,but i guess that this is adb related :)

itsirfandude

Oct 2, 2012
Coimbatore
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 2
I used this last night to root a N7, which is why I posted it here. I don't think there's much risk to messing anything up, as I used it on my TF201 as well (and people have had great success with it on the TF300 and TF700s too). If something does get messed up, you may be able to do a factory reset, or load the system image on the SD card and flash it via bootloader. All in all, though, I think it's pretty low-risk, and easier than unlocking if you don't want to go that route.

Pls bearr with me am a noob when it comes to rooting
I haven't done it yet

Is it compatible with nexus 7 3g??
Will all my applications retain after root or is any backup required ??
How to factory reset?? ( I don't want this to happen)
HOW to unroot ??
Any piece of advice to a noob??

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Pls bearr with me am a noob when it comes to rooting
I haven't done it yet

Is it compatible with nexus 7 3g??
Will all my applications retain after root or is any backup required ??
How to factory reset?? ( I don't want this to happen)
HOW to unroot ??
Any piece of advice to a noob??

Most likely, yes it will retain your apps (no need to backup), it will not factory reset and you don't need to in order to root. This doesn't unroot but I could help you find a way to if you really wanted. Probably just as simple as deleting the files from the right place.

This root method is fairly straight-forward, follow the instructions in the OP and post here if you have issues.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: itsirfandude
Rooted successfully here too on stock 4.2.2 in PTP mode, had to install usb drivers from ASUS for the nexus, the ones from the Android SDK didn't work, once I did that no problems - and didn't have to worry about reinstalling everything :good:

What's the best USB OTG access app to use? I was using Nexus Media Importer, is StickMount alot better?

norbi757

Apr 22, 2013
Just flash another ROM, I recommend smoothrom 5.0, stable and buttery smooth

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

norbi757

Apr 22, 2013
Try grabbing Nova launcher from the play store, u don't need any root access and u don't need to delete your current launcher, plus u can import your current settings

itsirfandude

Oct 2, 2012
Coimbatore
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 2
Try grabbing Nova launcher from the play store, u don't need any root access and u don't need to delete your current launcher, plus u can import your current settings

I don't need launchers
All I wanna know is y the wallpaper is getting changed automatically
And am rooted... It was after that wallpaper bug appeared
And i need solution for that

norbi757

Apr 22, 2013
The issue is with the stock launcher, getting nova will solve this. But the problem probably has to do with some cache being overwritten in the sys directory; would be much harder to fix then just getting nova which is a better launcher anyway

goranjosko

Apr 17, 2013
Hi all,
I just rooted a nexus 7 using the motochopper toolkit made by djrbliss. He gets full credit for the method, I just modified it to work for the N7 by updating the adb files within it (tested on Win7 64-bit, N7 wifi). Oh, and if something breaks, it's not my fault :)
I just root my nexus 7 in less then a minute! Fantastic! :) BIG THANKS!!!
This is incredible for people like me who don't want to install custom roms, or change recovery etc... I just needed root access, on my stock 4.2.2 android. Completely simple and noninvasive, all apps and data are intact and everything work normally.

I guess I could unroot it with unroot application from play??!

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.darkslide.unroot

Thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,
    I just rooted a nexus 7 using the motochopper toolkit made by djrbliss. He gets full credit for the method, I just modified it to work for the N7 by updating the adb files within it (tested on Win7 64-bit, N7 wifi). Oh, and if something breaks, it's not my fault :)

(original thread: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/t...id-root-exploit/page__pid__244281#entry244281)

Here's what you'll need:

Nexus 7 Drivers installed (try the universal naked drivers if you have issues with this. Search google if ADB/motochopper cannot see your device)
    (Android SDK is recommended if you need to troubleshoot the nexus connecting, but not necessary.)
    Developer options enabled, USB debugging enabled.
    The attached zip.

Steps:
    1. Download and unzip the folder within the attached file.
    2. Make sure USB debugging is enabled. When you plug the tablet into the computer, the status bar of the tablet should say "USB debugging connected". If it doesn't, see below.
    3. WITH YOUR SCREEN TURNED ON, run the appropriate script from the motochopper folder. (Run.bat for windows, I think run.sh for Mac and Linux).
    4. You may be prompted by the tablet to approve a connection by the computer (RSA key, etc.). Accept this!
    5. If all is fine and dandy here, it will see your device and start to push files to it. When it tries to push the SuperSU.apk, your tablet will ask you to Approve something for tracking apk's/apps installed over ADB. Click yes or accept.
    6. The script (on your computer) should prompt you to reboot. Hit any key and you should be rooted when it starts up!
    Note: if your computer isn't able to see the device, try setting the device to PTP from MTP. This seems to work for some.

Need to enable USB Debugging?
    1. Make sure you are in the main account.
    2. Go to settings, about, and scroll to the bottom.
    3. Tap on the "build number" entry 7 times.
    4. Exit out of the 'about' and go to Developer options.
    5. Check "USB debugging".

Since I do NOT have a nexus 7 of my own, I can't fully support this but I'll do my best. I thought it would be great to share this with the nexus community for anyone (like me) that doesn't want to unlock their device in order to root. Like I mentioned before, all credit goes to djrbliss.

Enjoy!

Edit: some people are asking why this is useful. If you want root, unlocking the bootloader to gain root erases your device. This method does not.

Edit 2: users report that it does not work on nexus 10 but does work on nexus 4.

Indeed it would be amazing... and very useful... but as I've indicated in a previous post, 4.3 implements a new security model designed to protect itself from exploits (ostensibly of the malicious kind), so it's very unlikely this (motochopper) or any other exploit in the future will work.

If you want root on 4.3, you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way...

1) Unlock the bootloader with fastboot.
    2) Fastboot flash a Custom Recovery (CWM or TWRP).
    3) Using that recovery, flash Chainfire's modified SuperSU root updater.

Rgrds,
    Ged.

Update 3/2014. This method is outdated and no longer works for any current version of android (4.3+)
    Thank you so much for your replies still run windows xp will that still be ok to root with please.

Thank You
    :)

As a lowly user, I'm the wrong one to ask. As a Windows admin, I've got a bit more experience. The tools used here on the Windows side look pretty basic to me. If you can find the right USB driver and establish communications, I can't see why XP wouldn't be just fine. The USB driver has been the thing that has tripped me and several other users up. Get the right one for the right device. Just because Windows sees your device doesn't mean the root process will work. There's some other API involved.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Now that I've hit my 10 post count legitimately and no one can complain, I wanted to re-share some sources for USB drivers. Myself and several other users have been bitten using nhshah7's awesome modification when it hangs, apparently unable to communicate with our Nexus 7. In every case the problem has been a bad USB driver.

Myself and at least one other have solved this by installing PDANET+ which includes it's own USB drivers. Follow the instructions here:

How To Install Drivers For Any Android Device

And get PDANET here:

http://junefabrics.com/android/downloadold.php

But the drivers included didn't work for my older Galaxy Nexus. nhshah7 recommends using the USB drivers included in the full Android SDK. But if you hunt around, you can find lists of manufacturer USB drivers. A couple I found are:

http://www.teamandroid.com/download-android-usb-drivers

http://dottech.org/26188/usb-adb-and-fastboot-drivers-for-windows-for-all-android-phones/

Hope this helps the next person to get a hung batch file.
    Just had another tinker with this exploit...
    (I fastboot flashed back to stock, and relocked the bootloader beforehand).

...and I can confirm (again) that not only does it work... but you can reverse it really easily...

...by going to the app, SuperSU... and then SETTINGS>>FULL UNROOT.

Upon reboot, the device is fully unrooted.

--------

And as with the normal method of ROOTING, you can also backup your root (SU binary) using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper...

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper&hl=en

Upon (deliberate) loss of ROOT, I was able to restore ROOT, using this app.

Further, and with relative ease, I was also able to change over from Chainfire's ROOT to Koush's (the CWM guy) ROOT...

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.superuser&hl=en.

-------

I have thrown every ROOT app I can think of at it... and it just works.

(And unrooting works, as described earlier.)

And the beauty of it is... if you do loose ROOT (either by accident or design)... you can easily acquire it again, just by re-running the script.... and WITH NO LOSS OF DATA.

-------

Rooting doesn't get any easier than this...

I 'tip my hat' in appreciation and respect... in the general direction of nhshah7 for making this exploit available.

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    I have rooted Nexus with this method (very easy, THANKS!), but the idea (at least for me) for rooting was to use an external SDCARD or pen disk with an OTG cable connected to Nexus 7.

But this I can't do, I have used OI File Manager and Root Browser to explore pen disk but I can't see external SDCard with these apps.

Can someone explain me what I am doing wrong? Thanks

It could be a million and one things!
    Where are you looking for the external card? You know it's mounted under /sdcard yeah?
    Could be the cable you're using. Some don't work.
    Have you tried using StickMount?
    Hello, I am having trouble with this on my Nexus 7. I get the following in CMD and it seems to just be on a loop of trying.

[*] Pushing root tools...
    error: more than one device and emulator
    snip
    EDIT******* seems to be working now but oddly enough I just tried doing it with usb debugging disabled......yes with it off lol
    now it shows pushing exploit so stay tuned ill let you know how it goes.

UPDATE:
    [*] Waiting for device...
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    [*] Device found.
    [*] Pushing exploit...
    576 KB/s (1283460 bytes in 2.175s)
    [*] Pushing root tools...
    402 KB/s (91980 bytes in 0.223s)
    483 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 3.770s)
    535 KB/s (969701 bytes in 1.770s)

and im now left with a blinking cursor under that last line and waiting for something else to happen

Are you sure you didn't start an emulator when you installed the Android SDK? You might be trying to root an emulator! (That might explain why you apparently saw things happening with ADB turned off).

Anyway, you certainly should not be seeing messages such as this:

error: more than one device and emulator

manually running the command "adb devices" from a command window should show you only a single device listed - your N7.