Root k20/mi9t without twrp

Search This thread

woozie.2007

Oct 16, 2008
hello guys, does anyone know how can i update the official OTA that i receive in my phone? I mention i have magisk installed, stock recovery. I tried to complet uninstall magisk but ota did not succeeded. I am on global version stock QFJMIXM 11.0.5.0 , thank you very much

zgfg

• Oct 10, 2016
    hello guys, does anyone know how can i update the official OTA that i receive in my phone? I mention i have magisk installed, stock recovery. I tried to complet uninstall magisk but ota did not succeeded. I am on global version stock QFJMIXM 11.0.5.0 , thank you very much
    OTA requires stock recovery, not TWRP - and from System Update choose download latest package - 2,7 GB (full OTA)

Or, instead of taking OTA, download 2,7 GB recovery/zip package and flash from TWRP

woozie.2007

Oct 16, 2008
    OTA requires stock recovery, not TWRP - and from System Update choose download latest package - 2,7 GB (full OTA)

Or, instead of taking OTA, download 2,7 GB recovery/zip package and flash from TWRP

I said, i don't have twrp, i have stock recovery, only magisk for root

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

the OTA update is 12.0.3.0, but does not want to install even if i uninstalled magisk completely

zgfg

• Oct 10, 2016
    I said, i don't have twrp, i have stock recovery, only magisk for root

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

the OTA update is 12.0.3.0, but does not want to install even if i uninstalled magisk completely
    How big is the OTA package shown in Settings/System Update?
    If it is not 2+ GB, go to System Update settings and force it to download and install F U L L OTA (not 0,7 GB or so differential OTA).

Youu must be on full stock firmware - athough you said that you uninstalled Magisk, you could have reflashed stock boot img from Fastboot before OTA

woozie.2007

Oct 16, 2008
    How big is the OTA package shown in Settings/System Update?
    If it is not 2+ GB, go to System Update settings and force it to download and install F U L L OTA (not 0,7 GB or so differential OTA).

Youu must be on full stock firmware - athough you said that you uninstalled Magisk, you could have reflashed stock boot img from Fastboot before OTA
    ota has 2.2gb, i downloaded it, i have it in the phone and the pc also. When the phone ask for reboot, i rebooted but it writes the update until reach 16% and gives me an error, i dont have anything to do than reboot normally. Thank you

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

i reflashed stock boot.img but the update still wont install

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

and excuse me, one more question please, if i find full firmware, how to install it without lose the settings and apps? Thank you

zgfg

• Oct 10, 2016
    ota has 2.2gb, i downloaded it, i have it in the phone and the pc also. When the phone ask for reboot, i rebooted but it writes the update until reach 16% and gives me an error, i dont have anything to do than reboot normally. Thank you

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

i reflashed stock boot.img but the update still wont install

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

and excuse me, one more question please, if i find full firmware, how to install it without lose the settings and apps? Thank you
    Even full OTA will not (by itself) delete your apps, data and settings

You may try then flashing recovery/zip package from TWRP
    (I'm still on 11.0.6 since 12.0.2 for QFJEUXM was pulled off)

woozie.2007

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't have twrp and i don't want to install it. I will try to update full ota, cause i tried only ota of 800mb until you said to download full ota

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
    Apr 26, 2013
    Bonn, Germany
    Moto G 2014
    Moto G5 Plus
    Even full OTA will not (by itself) delete your apps, data and settings

You may try then flashing recovery/zip package from TWRP
    (I'm still on 11.0.6 since 12.0.2 for QFJEUXM was pulled off)
    May I ask what you mean with "pulled off"and where the info comes from? Is it the same as "rolled back"? Stopped by OEM?
    I'm still on 11.0.5 QFJEUXM, a friend of mine went from 11.0.5 via OTA directly up to 12.0.2 and this download source indicates 11.0.6 as rolled back:
    https://mirom.ezbox.idv.tw/en/phone/davinci/roms-eea-stable/
    Also for China and global 12.0.3 has been released, links appeared on telegram.
    Xiaomi seems to have a strange update policy.

Last edited:

zgfg

• Oct 10, 2016
    May I ask what you mean with "pulled off"and where the info comes from? Is it the same as "rolled back"?
    Xiaomi seems to have a strange update policy.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83150977&postcount=35
    In the meantime MI and RU were resumed, e.g. Fastboot/tgz 12.0.3 for MI was released.

A week ago I had received 12.0.2 EU by OTA, did not accept (System Update was not on automatic download and I didn't want to accept yet and let it start OTA download), and the next day OTA was pulled off and since then it shows me no updates available for my 11.0.6 EU.
    But had it similarly with 11.0.3 or so, we could expect next wave of OTA notifications for 12.0.2 EU, or better for improved 12 0 3 (many people reported issues like battery drain) soon

Edit:
    Today received again OTA notification for v12.0.2 QFJEUXM

Btw, tgz for the same is released, usually meaning that it is considered now a stable version:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83162461&postcount=71

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-31-13-24-16-351_com.android.updater.jpg
      Screenshot_2020-07-31-13-24-16-351_com.android.updater.jpg
      187.6 KB · Views: 56
    Last edited:
    Reactions: Wolfcity

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      this guide help you to root k20/mi9t by using magisk patched boot img
      this guide is for users who likes to be on stock with magisks modules customisation
      advantage
      [no data loss in whole process]
      [safety passes okk]
      [install modules like dolby,viper4android after root to improve sound quality]

REQUIREMENTS
      .unlocked bootloader( its one time requirement)
      .magisk patched boot img

patched boot img is created using stock boot img that is different for every miui version,so create your own patched boot img according to your miui version by this easy process https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi...dian-rom-v10-3-6-0-twrp-t3958566/post80163818

just to be on safe side remove all types of lock, u can use lock after all steps completed

NOW FOLLOW THE STEPS

install latest magisk manager apk
      place the downloaded magisk patched boot img to adb folder or platform tool folder whatever u call in pc

1.boot your phone into fastboot by holding power menu &volume down button togethor

2.connect your phone to pc using original cable
      3.Go to adb folder & open command window by clicking shift+control+right key on the blank space (command window appear in option)

4.now check your devices by if its properly connected by typing

code: fastboot devices
      if it shows attached devices then proceed

5.now flash patched img by typing command

code: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img

finally boot your phone to system by typing command
      code: fastboot reboot

6.now open magisk manager it show some recommendation just reject that option(important steps)
      7.click on install in magisk manager then select direct install recommended option
      let it install &reboot [step 7 is neccessary otherwise you cant install module in magisk)

this is 100% tested method
      need any help or confused comment down below before attempting this

hit THANKS BUTTON IF U LIKE
      CREATE YOUR OWN PATCHED BOOT IMG OF YOUR SPECIFIC ROM
      Requirement:magisk manager apk(download & install it)

patched boot img is specific of every rom that is running on your device

step1---)so just download full rom of the same miui version that is running on your device
      INDIAN ROM:-https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/davinciin/

GLOBAL ROM:-https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/davinci/

step2---)extract boot img from full rom &place it on phone storage
      step3---)now open magisk manager select install / INSTALL / SELECT & PATCH A FILE
      select the boot img that you extracted
      magisk manager automatically patch boot img & save it on your phone

once created your required patched boot img just follow guide available in op

PLEASE HIT THANKS ,it help you 100%
      MIUI 11 update will be coming soon on our devices. Will it re-lock the bootloader, or cause any other problems, as boot img will be different..?

if u have a pc with u,this is by far the best & safest way to update whenever a update is available

first step -uninstall magisk completely using magisk manager app

step 2-download fastboot rom using the websites i mention in earlier post,
      extract it on pc

open mi flash tool
      connect your phone in fastboot mode
      it will show up in tool

select save user data in mi flash tool

finally click on flash & wait patiently for around 800 seconds
      it will show flash success

now repeat all process to root(extract boot to patch & so on) as u already downloaded fastboot rom in step 2

advantages: no data loss,no need to unlock,relock bootloder

extra tips:-advantages of having fastbboot rom

u can almost recover from any bad situation like bootloops,soft brick & other problem

free advice for all xda user
      make a good habit of hitting thanks button if someone help u on xda platform
      Yeah already compted rooting now. But i have some doubts:
      1. The root is lost after every update?
      2. Is it possible to take the boot.img from the phone itself without the need of downloading the entire rom file manually to PC?
      3. What is the advantage of this method over TWRP method?
      2. Boot image can be dumped from TWRP (in which case [use the official] TWRP must be installed - but you can still root by this method, and you can flash the patched_boot.img from TWRP instead of from Fastboot):
      https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-9t/how-to/to-extract-stock-boot-recovery-images-t4058447
      Alternatively, it can be dumped from Terminal Emulator app or by ADB, but TE or ADB must be granted root - hence not applicable because you must be already rooted (and dumping then gives the patched Boot image)

3. The advantages (from my experience) of this method of installing Magidk without TWRP:
      - Upon patching Boot image, you can test it without really flashing yet (if case of bootloop or something, just restart, no harm):
      fastboot boot patched_boot.img

Also, it is good to have stock boot.img, in urgency and bootloop case with Magisk, it can can be flashed (or booted without flashing like above)

Otherwise, it is good to have (the official) TWRP or OrangeFox for other reasons (backup, disabling Magisk module in case of bootloop).
      But if you have a zip file that requires flashing through TWRP - that can be flashed also without TWRP: In Magisk Manager, go to Modules, press + icon, navigate to and select your zip file (it doesn't need to be zip for Magisk or its modules)

---
      Btw, new phones with Android 10 don't have Boot partition anymore (not the case with Xiaomi), hence Magisk must be patched to Recovery, therefore it is not possible to have both TWRP and Magisk and only such method of patching through Magisk Manager and flashing through Fastboot is possible there for rooting
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone