• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Root] Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 14.3.1

Search This thread

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
just one quick question if I were to buy hdx 8.9...what firmware version will it come with?

It will come with wheat ever firmware was on it when it was manufactured. Amazon (usually) won't update them before shipping them. The exact one no one can say. I just modded a 2012 KFHD7 for someone the other day and it had 7.2.3 on it out of the box.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 11 KitKat 4.4 using xda app-developers

butman

Feb 10, 2011
My Kindle HDX 8.9 is on the right software version but I can not get the ADB drivers working. For some reason the device shows up as Kindle under my portable devices even with ADB enabled on the Kindle and its telling me that the ADB drivers arent compatible with the device. I am starting to get annoyed right now becuase of this.

Same problem here. Don't know how to proceed. :silly:

Montisaquadeis

Nov 16, 2011
Same problem here. Don't know how to preceed. :silly:

I managed to get my Kindle Fire HDX rooted by using a different machine that never had any kindle devices/software attached to it Which I think did the trick

What I basically did was Install the ADB drivers on the other PC before hooking the HDX up but before I hooked it up I enabled ADB in the settings then plugged it in for the first time which got ADB working finally then I basically ran the rooting app from here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2545957

Last edited:

PhishShticks

Jun 25, 2010
Lyndhurst, NJ
Please do not donate to me for this, it is not my original work. If you want to donate, I suggest finding a way to donate to fi01 (not aware of a way or if he accepts them) or donating to a charity. It is the holiday times, maybe a toys for tots or something similar. I know a lot of ppl dislike the salvation army, and I can't stand up with some of the things they do, but their toy donation program is good and they do get the toys to kids who really have no other option, maybe drop off some new toys? May be food to a food bank?

Source: https://github.com/hiikezoe/android_run_root_shell

Vuln:
https://www.codeaurora.org/projects...hecks-putusergetuser-kernel-api-cve-2013-6282

Exploit Source:
https://github.com/fi01/libput_user_exploit

Beaups compiled it at my request for you guys.

adb push su /data/local/tmp/
adb push rootme.sh /data/local/tmp/
adb push exploit /data/local/tmp/
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rootme.sh
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/exploit
adb shell /data/local/tmp/exploit -c "/data/local/tmp/rootme.sh"

Hey guys, this may be a 'tard questio, but how would I run this script on a machine running Windows 8.1?

Thanks for this! Hope to get it working!

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
I want to buy the 8.9 but having the BL unlocked is a must. Is there a crew active in the process now? If so is there a guestimated eta if any dev has one.

Not yet. Still other things that I want to get through before starting down that path since I have no interest in losing any Amazon services. Once security is reliably removed & all the patched & fixes perfected, then I'll start looking at the BL, but it is going to be a tough nut to crack.

In the meantime, as soon as these holidays are past, I have asked @Hashcode to contact me & I will work with him on a SafeStrap for the 8.9. Just tough to find time right now, with the holidays & the first of the year.

Reactions: lionking2k

mjculross

Dec 31, 2013
Fort Worth
is check-rooted present on KF HDX ??

I previously rooted my original Kindle Fire & I have been enjoying the ability to use Google Play immensely !! Because of this past success, I am following closely & I am very much looking forward to the progress in getting the same capability on my new Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. As an early adopter (of many things, not just of rooting the KF HDX 8.9 !!), I have already duplicated the process described in the OP to get root access.

Now, based upon what I experienced with my original KF (when rooted, several stock capabilities were disabled, such as watching videos), my question is this: is there an equivalent to "check-rooted" (present on the original KF) in the KF HDX ?? Applying su & getting root access does not seem to interfere with anything that I can detect so far. I'm just wondering if anyone else has detected anything that is adversely affected by rooting ?? Frankly, I'm surprised that there does not seem to be a "check-rooted" equivalent . . . they had to know that root would eventually be achieved !!

Thanks to everyone that works diligently to figure out how to root & how to apply the needed packages to allow us to fully enjoy everything that our Kindles are capable of !!

Good luck & have fun !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please do not donate to me for this, it is not my original work. If you want to donate, I suggest finding a way to donate to fi01 (not aware of a way or if he accepts them) or donating to a charity. It is the holiday times, maybe a toys for tots or something similar. I know a lot of ppl dislike the salvation army, and I can't stand up with some of the things they do, but their toy donation program is good and they do get the toys to kids who really have no other option, maybe drop off some new toys? May be food to a food bank?

Source: https://github.com/hiikezoe/android_run_root_shell

Vuln:
    https://www.codeaurora.org/projects...hecks-putusergetuser-kernel-api-cve-2013-6282

Exploit Source:
    https://github.com/fi01/libput_user_exploit

Beaups compiled it at my request for you guys.

adb push su /data/local/tmp/
    adb push rootme.sh /data/local/tmp/
    adb push exploit /data/local/tmp/
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rootme.sh
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/exploit
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/exploit -c "/data/local/tmp/rootme.sh"
    Bomb! You are the man!

Bro, I am going to PM you shortly. I would like to thank you & fi01. I will donate to both of you, or if you both prefer, I will donate my original pledge of $150 for root in your names to whatever charity you think is appropriate. If this leads to an unlocked BL, I will double my donation, to the $300 I originally stated in the General/Kernel thread.

If you notice my signature, I have an issue I have become intimately involved in, so if there is something near & dear to your two hearts, just let me know.

PROOF OF ROOT:
    IMG_20131125_102749.jpg

IMG_20131125_102829.jpg
    Awesome! How did you flash it? Is there a stock recovery mode or did you have to use ADB? I'm not familiar with ADB at all, so I'm hoping for a simple way of flashing this.

I am going to tak as many questions as possible, but will probably do something in the Q&A section to keep this clean. Right now, this is a manual adb exploit, though if you have a rooted device & USB OTG, you can use root transmission. Currently, it is fairly easy & straight forward, but you will need adb to utilize this root method. jcase said we could package it into a one click, but that is going to take some time.

At this point, there are no custome roms & there are no custom recoveries, just root access. I also have the Play Store working, which was just a matter of changing the ro.build.host to point to Google. Again, no easy way to do it yet. Since you are asking about "flashing" this, I would suggest you wait. Either that, or go back & read about some of the old root methods & how to use ADB. There is no flashing this file. You use ADB to push the files, & shell to change owner/permissions. You then run a script (again via adb) that moves the SU binary into xbin. Currently, there is still a bit of a trick to get SU going, but it is pretty easy if you understand the basics of ADB.

Really, what this means is that now the gates have been cracked & it is possible to start building recoveries, roms & all that good stuff.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Guess it does not work on 7" (fire os 3.1 updated, ver 13.3.1.0):

Device detected: KFTHWI (JDQ39)

Try to find address in memory...
    Attempt msm_cameraconfig exploit...
    Detected kernel physical address at 0x00008000 form iomem

Attempt fb_mem exploit...
    You need to manage to get remap_pfn_range addresses.
    Failed to get prepare_kernel_cred addresses.
    Failed to get commit_creds addresses.
    Failed to get ptmx_fops addresses.
    KFTHWI (JDQ39) is not supported.
    Failed to setup variables.

Have hopes it will be possible soon enough though :)

Most likely, it is going to take a little address rework of the exploit. I am about 100% certain the exploit is there though.
    Good News Everyone! I made the required changes in source, and recompiled it for the Kindle Fire HDX 7". It worked for me at least! Here it goes:

http://goo.gl/4gBmq5

Be sure to rename the file to 'exploit', follow the instructions on the first post, and don't forget to thank jcase and fi01.
    Guess it does not work on 7" (fire os 3.1 updated, ver 13.3.1.0):

Device detected: KFTHWI (JDQ39)

Try to find address in memory...
    Attempt msm_cameraconfig exploit...

Attempt fb_mem exploit...
    You need to manage to get remap_pfn_range addresses.
    Failed to get prepare_kernel_cred addresses.
    Failed to get commit_creds addresses.
    Failed to get ptmx_fops addresses.
    KFTHWI (JDQ39) is not supported.
    Failed to setup variables.

Have hopes it will be possible soon enough though :)

No but download the update.bin for your firmware from amazon, send me boot.img and system/build.prop and will port it