• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Root] Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 14.3.1

Search This thread

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
Not yet. Still other things that I want to get through before starting down that path since I have no interest in losing any Amazon services. Once security is reliably removed & all the patched & fixes perfected, then I'll start looking at the BL, but it is going to be a tough nut to crack.

In the meantime, as soon as these holidays are past, I have asked @Hashcode to contact me & I will work with him on a SafeStrap for the 8.9. Just tough to find time right now, with the holidays & the first of the year.

For someone that needs a totally clean -from Amazon services- tablet, only solution is to wait for some custom rom to be developed?
I love the specs of this device, but I prefer to have it with a pure android OS.

Unleashed by my Nexus 4

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
For someone that needs a totally clean -from Amazon services- tablet, only solution is to wait for some custom rom to be developed?
I love the specs of this device, but I prefer to have it with a pure android OS.

Unleashed by my Nexus 4

Sort of. You can hide all of the Amazon services & even remove SOME of them. However, if you want all of them 100% gone, not just some gone & others hidden, then yes.

CrashThump

Oct 15, 2010
Sort of. You can hide all of the Amazon services & even remove SOME of them. However, if you want all of them 100% gone, not just some gone & others hidden, then yes.

I don't think so.
In theory we can remove all Amazon applications using the root access. Broken Android applications and Android framework could be recompiled from AOSP source, also we have some sources from Amazon for some device-specific code which need to be merged with AOSP. AOSP applications (camera, lockscreen) will not support origami case features.

Gapps could be taken from Nexus 10 ROM (I'm not sure if gapps redistributing by some portals are recompiled, maybe it's just a minimal dump).
All we don't have is the ability to launch our own kernel (but i didn't try, just citing some xda developer)

Reactions: RASTAVIPER

RASTAVIPER

May 2, 2011
I don't think so.
In theory we can remove all Amazon applications using the root access. Broken Android applications and Android framework could be recompiled from AOSP source, also we have some sources from Amazon for some device-specific code which need to be merged with AOSP. AOSP applications (camera, lockscreen) will not support origami case features.

Gapps could be taken from Nexus 10 ROM (I'm not sure if gapps redistributing by some portals are recompiled, maybe it's just a minimal dump).
All we don't have is the ability to launch our own kernel (but i didn't try, just citing some xda developer)

So, I guess this tablet is not 100% ready yet for full Android experience.
440€ is a lot of money then for it.
Will keep my eye on this section for future development except if Nexus 10 2014 model will come out soon.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 4

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007

Well that's a false statement as its exactly what i did in the thor-gapps-rom.

Sent from my KFTHWI using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Also you should have 100$ for me for the working gapps :)

Last edited:

wiseguyy

Jun 26, 2011
Where abouts unknown
which do I buy the 7 or 8.9 for max dev potential

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Hey guys the 7 or 8.9 which has the maximum dev potential. I wanna make sure so I eventually get the unlocked bootloader...help the guy whos selling it will be here in 15 min...

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator

That's great for the THOR, however, this is the Apollo thread. As for GAPPS, I have not installed SafeStrap or Xposed to this day (mostly because I'm still recreating bricks to help out others), yet there is early screenshots of me using everything, including GAPPS, so what does that tell you? ;)

wave_sailor

Sep 1, 2010
Another friendly message that I had elsewhere...anyone looking to get free from the Amazon apps, note that the Cablevision Optimum app (Watch TV) requires the Amazon to be installed. I tried the HDXposed stuff and the Optimum app does not work with it.

Tomen8r

Jul 12, 2012
New England
Another friendly message that I had elsewhere...anyone looking to get free from the Amazon apps, note that the Cablevision Optimum app (Watch TV) requires the Amazon to be installed. I tried the HDXposed stuff and the Optimum app does not work with it.

All apps downloaded from Amazon require that Amazon Apps Downloader be installed AND signed in. . Download the same app from the Play Store and you shouldn't have that issue. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.optimum.rdvr.mobile

Bierfreund

Jun 30, 2010
I got my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 Apollo today and the first thing it did was updating to 321093620...
I read that FW 321093620 is not rootable (yet).
But because of HDX Update Temporary Work Around-thread from GSLEON3 i had hope, that i can still root, because i have not booted since the update was pushed and installed to my device
The first five commands from the tutorial worked:
Code:
adb push su /data/local/tmp/
adb push rootme.sh /data/local/tmp/
adb push exploit /data/local/tmp/
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rootme.sh
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/exploit

Unfortunately when running rootme.sh through the expolit i get the following errors:
Code:
adb shell /data/local/tmp/exploit -c "/data/local/tmp/rootme.sh"

Device detected: KFAPWI (JDQ39)

Attempt acdb exploit...
KFAPWI (JDQ39) is not supported.

Attempt fj_hdcp exploit...

Attempt msm_cameraconfig exploit...
Detected kernel physical address at 0x00008000 form iomem

Attempt put_user exploit...
ioctl: Bad address

Attempt fb_mem exploit...

Attempt perf_swevent exploit...

failed to open /dev/diag due to Permission denied.
mount: Operation not permitted
/data/local/tmp/rootme.sh[3]: can't create /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system
Unable to chown /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory

Are the errors, because the new FW is already installed, or is there still hope?
I don'r know how long i can wait for the reboot, so quick response would be nice, if i still can do something to root...

Faznx92

Nov 18, 2013
I got my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 Apollo today and the first thing it did was updating to 321093620...
I read that FW 321093620 is not rootable (yet).
But because of HDX Update Temporary Work Around-thread from GSLEON3 i had hope, that i can still root, because i have not booted since the update was pushed and installed to my device
The first five commands from the tutorial worked:
Code:

Unfortunately when running rootme.sh through the expolit i get the following errors:
Code:

Device detected: KFAPWI (JDQ39)

Attempt acdb exploit...

Attempt fj_hdcp exploit...

Attempt put_user exploit...
ioctl: Bad address

Attempt perf_swevent exploit...

failed to open /dev/diag due to Permission denied.
mount: Operation not permitted
/data/local/tmp/rootme.sh[3]: can't create /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system
Unable to chown /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory

Are the errors, because the new FW is already installed, or is there still hope?
I don't know how long i can wait for the reboot, so quick response would be nice, if i still can do something to root...

The exploit doesn't work. "failed to open /dev/diag due to Permission denied. /data/local/tmp/rootme.sh can't copy /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system
Since you had a new device on the first version you should have did a manual update to 14.3.1.0. You let it auto update and that is not rootable.
I believe GSLEON3 guide works if you were root before with safestrap install.

Last edited:

Bierfreund

Jun 30, 2010
The exploit doesn't work. "failed to open /dev/diag due to Permission denied. /data/local/tmp/rootme.sh can't copy /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system
Since you had a new device on the first version you should have did a manual update to 14.3.1.0. You let it auto update and that is not rootable.
I believe GSLEON3 guide works if you were root before with safestrap install.
Yes unfortunately I didn't know that the device directly updates without any confirmation from the user. On all other devices I had or know you have to confirm that you want to update, sometimes even more than one time ;)
The hardware of the kindle fire hdx 8.9 is very good, it also feels very good. Unfortunately without root / Play Store / ... it's not usable for me. So i'll have to return it in a few days if no new rooting method is found until then.
Thanks for your reply!

jjrizzelcincy

Mar 19, 2011
cincinnati
Yes unfortunately I didn't know that the device directly updates without any confirmation from the user. On all other devices I had or know you have to confirm that you want to update, sometimes even more than one time ;)
The hardware of the kindle fire hdx 8.9 is very good, it also feels very good. Unfortunately without root / Play Store / ... it's not usable for me. So i'll have to return it in a few days if no new rooting method is found until then.
Thanks for your reply!

i feel ya on that i can hardly stand this thing without the google play store,,i dont think there are ten people in this forum that use this as is,and are happy about it ,,i know some are but not many which is sad because this is such an awesome device :(

move_over

Sep 22, 2011
NJ
i feel ya on that i can hardly stand this thing without the google play store,,i dont think there are ten people in this forum that use this as is,and are happy about it ,,i know some are but not many which is sad because this is such an awesome device :(

Since you can easily sideload apps, I just copy apks from my phone to computer to HDX. Guess I'm one of those ten people :)

Sent from my Kindle HDX 8.9"

cf9182

Oct 29, 2010
Since you can easily sideload apps, I just copy apks from my phone to computer to HDX. Guess I'm one of those ten people :)

Sent from my Kindle HDX 8.9"

My big thing is backing up app data. If I could do that I think I could be happy with it. As it is, not every app uses the Amazon whisper sync feature and so I can only back up the apks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please do not donate to me for this, it is not my original work. If you want to donate, I suggest finding a way to donate to fi01 (not aware of a way or if he accepts them) or donating to a charity. It is the holiday times, maybe a toys for tots or something similar. I know a lot of ppl dislike the salvation army, and I can't stand up with some of the things they do, but their toy donation program is good and they do get the toys to kids who really have no other option, maybe drop off some new toys? May be food to a food bank?

Source: https://github.com/hiikezoe/android_run_root_shell

Vuln:
    https://www.codeaurora.org/projects...hecks-putusergetuser-kernel-api-cve-2013-6282

Exploit Source:
    https://github.com/fi01/libput_user_exploit

Beaups compiled it at my request for you guys.

Bomb! You are the man!

Bro, I am going to PM you shortly. I would like to thank you & fi01. I will donate to both of you, or if you both prefer, I will donate my original pledge of $150 for root in your names to whatever charity you think is appropriate. If this leads to an unlocked BL, I will double my donation, to the $300 I originally stated in the General/Kernel thread.

If you notice my signature, I have an issue I have become intimately involved in, so if there is something near & dear to your two hearts, just let me know.

PROOF OF ROOT:
    IMG_20131125_102749.jpg

IMG_20131125_102829.jpg
    Awesome! How did you flash it? Is there a stock recovery mode or did you have to use ADB? I'm not familiar with ADB at all, so I'm hoping for a simple way of flashing this.

I am going to tak as many questions as possible, but will probably do something in the Q&A section to keep this clean. Right now, this is a manual adb exploit, though if you have a rooted device & USB OTG, you can use root transmission. Currently, it is fairly easy & straight forward, but you will need adb to utilize this root method. jcase said we could package it into a one click, but that is going to take some time.

At this point, there are no custome roms & there are no custom recoveries, just root access. I also have the Play Store working, which was just a matter of changing the ro.build.host to point to Google. Again, no easy way to do it yet. Since you are asking about "flashing" this, I would suggest you wait. Either that, or go back & read about some of the old root methods & how to use ADB. There is no flashing this file. You use ADB to push the files, & shell to change owner/permissions. You then run a script (again via adb) that moves the SU binary into xbin. Currently, there is still a bit of a trick to get SU going, but it is pretty easy if you understand the basics of ADB.

Really, what this means is that now the gates have been cracked & it is possible to start building recoveries, roms & all that good stuff.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Guess it does not work on 7" (fire os 3.1 updated, ver 13.3.1.0):

Device detected: KFTHWI (JDQ39)

Try to find address in memory...

You need to manage to get remap_pfn_range addresses.
    Failed to get prepare_kernel_cred addresses.
    Failed to get commit_creds addresses.
    Failed to get ptmx_fops addresses.
    KFTHWI (JDQ39) is not supported.
    Failed to setup variables.

Have hopes it will be possible soon enough though :)

Most likely, it is going to take a little address rework of the exploit. I am about 100% certain the exploit is there though.
    Good News Everyone! I made the required changes in source, and recompiled it for the Kindle Fire HDX 7". It worked for me at least! Here it goes:

http://goo.gl/4gBmq5

Be sure to rename the file to 'exploit', follow the instructions on the first post, and don't forget to thank jcase and fi01.
    Guess it does not work on 7" (fire os 3.1 updated, ver 13.3.1.0):

Device detected: KFTHWI (JDQ39)

Try to find address in memory...

You need to manage to get remap_pfn_range addresses.
    Failed to get prepare_kernel_cred addresses.
    Failed to get commit_creds addresses.
    Failed to get ptmx_fops addresses.
    KFTHWI (JDQ39) is not supported.
    Failed to setup variables.

Have hopes it will be possible soon enough though :)

No but download the update.bin for your firmware from amazon, send me boot.img and system/build.prop and will port it